What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Tyres - Costs and What make ?

RCZ1

Reaction score
Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question but how do Goodyear fitted on the RCZ R compare to Conti's and Michelin. Just curious

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
RCZ1 said:
Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question but how do Goodyear fitted on the RCZ R compare to Conti's and Michelin. Just curious
The Goodyears are a great tyre and would not see any reason to change to something else when replacing them. However there are things on the 'R' that are really for track days and not for everyday driving, but most 'R' owners didn't buy them to take to the track so everyday driving is what they use it for. The two things that come to mind are the brakes and tyres. You really cannot do anything about the brakes, but for tyres, if you replace them you can look at the MPSS's are they are very comparable but with a significant price difference. Now if you can afford the Goodyears then go for it, but putting on MPSS's would not take away anything from the car. There might be other tyres you can look at, but stay with max performance summer tyres and the best ones on the market if you can for your 'R'.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Thanks Steve, much appreciated. How do the Goodyears compare to MPSS for longevity ? How long would a tyres on the front last - any idea ?

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
RCZ1 said:
Thanks Steve, much appreciated. How do the Goodyears compare to MPSS for longevity ? How long would a tyres on the front last - any idea ?

Longevity is dependent on driving as in rural or motorway and how you drive.

I use this site a lot for comparison and as you can see the F1's are not as well rated as the MPSS's but still you may find for yourself different results:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

(I am not affiliated with the above but used them a lot when I lived in the US and they do a lot of testing of tyres, more than anyone else I have seen. Other places have also rated the MPSS's as best too ;) )

The MPSS's seem to get a lot of bashing but I think that this is based upon cost, but the biggest problem is that the size of the tyres used on the RCZ (not 'R') is not a commonly used size and so prices reflect this. Changing the size will make things cheaper on better tyres. But the cost of the 235/40/19 MPSS's have come down a lot recently as they become more popular (not just as a factory replacement size, but for people upgrading to this size).

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi RCZ/1 :greetings-wavingblue:
I take it life as a 'master detailer' is keeping your now NOT so secret RCZ-R as glistening as ever? Have you missed that extra radiating gloss that from experience only Red paint evokes ,,if looked after and not allowed to turn a shade of Vauxhall pink if neglected and and regularly washed with Fairy Liquid and a SPONGE ! (I was once a sinner but I am no longer :lol:)

As for the Goodyear Eagle's I've not heard as to their overall performance in comparison but I'm sure that other R' owners can help us out. How have you found them, and I don't just mean at legal speeds and illegal soirees to let your 270 stallions breath. All I know is that they have a 92 load rating on the R and the other incarnations of Z' have 96 as standard I believe?

I see that Frances got the MPSS as they get abbreviated to, so now its just a case of sorting out my puncture :eusa-think:

.the big blue (..now where does Frances park those four new MPSS) ?? ...JOKE !!! :twisted:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi the big blue,
I had the red and black H2 (remember them Hoover pipes?) however I had dream machine custom paint it almost to standard but replaced the silver with pearl white ( strange I ended up with a pearl white Z!) and the race number board on the back see photo

Me and ZXR trying to destroy them budget tyres round Caldwell park!

Did ride a TLR 1000 for a while and couldn't really get used to the twin power output loads and loads of torque but couldn't get used to not having to change gear! You could just roll on and off the throttle from corner to corner and the power was there. Sounds like your triple could be the best of both worlds! Did look into buying a Benelli triple but you know what Italian electrics are like.
:beer:

renegade79

Reaction score
I ended up with Michelin pilot super sport :dance: had to go out and have a look at them :-?
So not such a bad choice then :thumbup:[/quote]

I have been using Michelins for the past two years and I would not use anything else. Far superior to the Continental's in my opinion.

RCZ1

Reaction score
the big blue said:
I take it life as a 'master detailer' is keeping your now NOT so secret RCZ-R as glistening as ever? Have you missed that extra radiating gloss that from experience only Red paint evokes ,,if looked after and not allowed to turn a shade of Vauxhall pink if neglected and and regularly washed with Fairy Liquid and a SPONGE ! (I was once a sinner but I am no longer :lol:)

As for the Goodyear Eagle's I've not heard as to their overall performance in comparison but I'm sure that other R' owners can help us out. How have you found them, and I don't just mean at legal speeds and illegal soirees to let your 270 stallions breath. All I know is that they have a 92 load rating on the R and the other incarnations of Z' have 96 as standard I believe?

I see that Frances got the MPSS as they get abbreviated to, so now its just a case of sorting out my puncture :eusa-think:

.the big blue (..now where does Frances park those four new MPSS) ?? ...JOKE !!! :twisted:

Hi big blue :wave:

Yes the new toy is keeping me very occupied, detailing wise. With regards to Moroccan Red, it's a lovely colour to detail. Very rewarding and I do miss Ruby because of that. I hope her new owner, whoever that may be, is looking after her well. Having said that, white RCZs have always been my first love , be it opal or pearl. Even after just about 5 years of RCZ ownership, I still can't stop looking at it. Such a beautiful car :)

So far I have been more than happy with the Goodyear's. Can't really tell if road noise is better or worse than the Conti's on the previous two Zs as the exhaust note is the music I love to listen to when driving. So much so that I have my music turned right down just so that I can listen to the tune of the exhaust. :) Tyre grip has been very good, even when pushed, on quick twisty country roads.

It will be interesting to see how the Goodyear's perform long term.

Safe driving big blue :)

A

Anonymous

the big blue said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I won't have them for long, I've got an RCZR on order so will be trying out the Goodyears :D

renegade79

Reaction score
Frances said:
the big blue said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I won't have them for long, I've got an RCZR on order so will be trying out the Goodyears :D

very nice :clap:

pete.garratt

Reaction score
I have to say the front Goodyears on my R were starting to look a little 'tired' (sorry) after about 10000 miles & I would say I enjoy the performance but don't go mad.

After a great offer from Tyre Leader, I'm running MPSSs all round in the summer. Will keep an eye on the tread depth to see how they wear.

So far, they seem similar to the Eagles, throwing up just as much rubbish from the road. Generally, the Eagles & MPSSs seem stickier/softer than the Continentals and, when you look at them always seem to have much more grit from the road embedded in the tread. Guess this is what you get with a more performance oriented tyre.

A

Anonymous

neilgsxr69 said:
Hi the big blue,
I had the red and black H2 (remember them Hoover pipes?) however I had dream machine custom paint it almost to standard but replaced the silver with pearl white ( strange I ended up with a pearl white Z!) and the race number board on the back see photo

Did ride a TLR 1000 for a while and couldn't really get used to the twin power output loads and loads of torque but couldn't get used to not having to change gear! You could just roll on and off the throttle from corner to corner and the power was there. Sounds like your triple could be the best of both worlds! Did look into buying a Benelli triple but you know what Italian electrics are like.

I had a TL1000R and I love V twin power. I have an Aprilia RSV1000R V twin and great V twin power too. I also have an MV Agusta Brutale 800 which is a triple cylinder and you are right, a triple has the best of both worlds. Loads of bottom end torque like a V twin and great mid and upper pull too higher in the rev range. With regards to Italians and electrics, I think you are looking into a reputation of the past. They seam to be sorted now with decent electrics. Lol. :beer:

RCZ1

Reaction score
pete.garratt said:
I have to say the front Goodyears on my R were starting to look a little 'tired' (sorry) after about 10000 miles & I would say I enjoy the performance but don't go mad.

After a great offer from Tyre Leader, I'm running MPSSs all round in the summer. Will keep an eye on the tread depth to see how they wear.

So far, they seem similar to the Eagles, throwing up just as much rubbish from the road. Generally, the Eagles & MPSSs seem stickier/softer than the Continentals and, when you look at them always seem to have much more grit from the road embedded in the tread. Guess this is what you get with a more performance oriented tyre.

I'd noticed that too Pete, thought it was just me.
And don't mention the brake dust. I thought it was bad on the other RCZs. These are something else !

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
leenineplus said:
neilgsxr69 said:
Hi the big blue,

I had a TL1000R and I love V twin power. I have an Aprilia RSV1000R V twin and great V twin power too. I also have an MV Agusta Brutale 800 which is a triple cylinder and you are right, a triple has the best of both worlds. Loads of bottom end torque like a V twin and great mid and upper pull too higher in the rev range. With regards to Italians and electrics, I think you are looking into a reputation of the past. They seam to be sorted now with decent electrics. Lol. :beer:
Hi, sounds like you've got a dream garage there the Aprillia a great bike but quite a big bike by modern standards and the MV what a Marque I love the F4 and just stand it in the living room to look at! What a piece of art! And yes your right the Italians have tidied up their act with reliability without sacrificing style.

renegade79

Reaction score
+1 on the brake dust front!!! only i have black alloys it would look far more noticeable. maybe i need to brake less :mrgreen:

and if i had an R i would likely need to brake more :roll:

pete.garratt

Reaction score
RCZ1 said:
And don't mention the brake dust. I thought it was bad on the other RCZs. These are something else !

Glad it's not just me - I thought I wasn't cleaning them properly!

I have to say, I find the groove inboard of the spokes the hardest by.

renegade79

Reaction score
cleaning alloys = bruised knuckles!! :eusa-think:

i guess biggers discs and pads means more dust.

RCZ1

Reaction score
pete.garratt said:
RCZ1 said:

Glad it's not just me - I thought I wasn't cleaning them properly!

I have to say, I find the groove inboard of the spokes the hardest by.

Yes I know what you mean about the groove between the spokes but I have a small brush which gets in between ok. I find the groove that runs around the wheel, just behind the spokes a real pain to clean especially right where the spokes are. It really gathers dust and dirt there and really shows up on the Matt black.