What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Tyres - Costs and What make ?

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi' neilgsxr69 :greetings-wavingblue:

You name suggests your a gixer man and your reference to 'supersports' suggests the 600 and not the once great 750 that has fallen from grace due to the wilderness created by the 1000cc superbike era. ME, I was a ninja first the beautiful but tank slapping 636 B1H then the stealth C2 in the most putrid colour ever to be adorned by a manufacturer on a bike ,,and i loved its almost fluorescent bile hue that Kawasaki have made their own :lol:
Anyway I'm now on a 675 Daytona adorned with Pirelli Diablo supercorsa's, a road legal & supersport race tyre which have the beauty of a hand cut slicks which are great once warmed and in the dry BUT will let go quicker than Milliband after the election in conditions they weren't really designed to operate in. All true bikers as you say know about tyres :beer:

Car tyres do not have to contend with the three dimensional forces that motorbike tyres do and hence the requirement for premium tyres "to a larger degree" is more one of personal choice and not necessity "in most cases". Most of us Z' owners I'm sure do not drive our cars on the road like a "star in a reasonably priced car" as on what was Jeremy Clarksons - Top Gear! Hi RCZ/1 :wave: I know you recently did ,,maybe NOT quite to that extent from what you stated in your post) :oops:

If we truly want the best handling performance from our Z's then fitting 18 inch rims and not having the 19's that many have as standard which are purely for looks would be a way forward AND lead to cheaper priced 'Premium' tyres at the same time too!!
(I don't see folk in pubs expressing the virtues of fitting 60 inch tractor size tyres so that they can say their Z' monster coupe' can out handle the realms of hot hatches ,,AND I'm sure there are many ladies on the Forum that will happily state, "Size Isn't Everything" :eek:

I short its about buying what you can afford and what you are happy with and thats best done once you know what your requirements generally are and what you're actually buying as all good tyres are Black and Round.
I bought the Michelin Pilot Super Sports which you can tell from the soft compound they are designed as a good grippy dry road tyre as opposed to wet roads and hence they have a trade off in terms of longevity. Due to my generally sedate cornering (no smoke) I do not need such a tyre and one with greater longevity will be my next purchase albeit a premium tyre as thats how '.the big blue' likes to roll :dance:

.the big blue (.enjoy the Forum and enjoy your Z' ,,regardless of tyre choice as that what Coupe's are all about !!) :D

A

Anonymous

neilgsxr69 said:
In my experience having been a rider of super sport motorcycles for over 35 years there are loads of bulls#* regarding tyres.big hype from manufacturers advertising their tyres are the best/ safest/ fastest! They spend millions on these adverts.I'm sure most would agree that tyre grip and handling are more important on a bike than a car and over the years I've tried all sorts of manufacturers tyres on bikes and cars and unless your doing silly stunts on the road or track day riding/ driving and pushing to the limit you ain't going to notice much difference in tyres budget or top money tyres.
I've been running my Z for a year now the car came with Accellera tyres to 3 corners and a conti on the other. I've just changed the conti and the opposite side for two new Accellera's at £160 fitted for the pair they are on the rear (I always put new tyres on in pairs)
There are loads of feedback on these tyres some good some frighteningly bad! But they have been great and I have never lost traction or had any problems with them at all., they have good rim protector too which I think is a top consideration when choosing tyres with costly 19" alloys.

If you want top bragging rights in a crowd then keep paying £200 a corner if you want a good all round budget tyre you won't go far wrong with the Accelleras.
:thumbup:

I have no clue about all things mechanical :wink: so when anything comes up I come on here for :helpme: . When I needed new tyres earlier this year I went on tinternet and could only find one tyre place in Basingstoke that did 19" tyers so was a bit stuffed really :-?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
RCZ-Performance said:
And so the debate goes on. However budget and performance cannot be used in the same sentence.

I disagree,

Don't buy BUDGET if you can afford PERFORMANCE.

There :lol:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
RCZ-Performance said:
And so the debate goes on. However budget and performance cannot be used in the same sentence.

I disagree,

Does that mean don't buy a Peugeot if you can afford an Audi ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
the big blue said:
Hi' neilgsxr69 :greetings-wavingblue:

You name suggests your a gixer man and your reference to 'supersports' suggests the 600 and not the once great 750 that has fallen from grace due to the wilderness created by the 1000cc superbike era. ME, I was a ninja first the beautiful but tank slapping 636 B1H then the stealth C2 in the most putrid colour ever to be adorned by a manufacturer on a bike ,,and i loved its almost fluorescent bile hue that Kawasaki have made their own :lol:
Anyway I'm now on a 675 Daytona adorned with Pirelli Diablo supercorsa's, a road legal & supersport race tyre which have the beauty of a hand cut slicks which are great once warmed and in the dry BUT will let go quicker than Milliband after the election in conditions they weren't really designed to operate in. All true bikers as you say know about tyres :beer:

Car tyres do not have to contend with the three dimensional forces that motorbike tyres do and hence the requirement for premium tyres "to a larger degree" is more one of personal choice and not necessity "in most cases". Most of us Z' owners I'm sure do not drive our cars on the road like a "star in a reasonably priced car" as on what was Jeremy Clarksons - Top Gear! Hi RCZ/1 :wave: I know you recently did ,,maybe NOT quite to that extent from what you stated in your post) :oops:

If we truly want the best handling performance from our Z's then fitting 18 inch rims and not having the 19's thathave as standard which are purely for looks would be a way forward AND lead to cheaper priced 'Premium' tyres at the same time too!!
(I don't see folk in pubs expressing the virtues of fitting 60 inch tractor size tyres so that they can say their Z' monster coupe' can out handle the realms of hot hatches ,,AND I'm sure there are many ladies on the Forum that will happily state, "Size Isn't Everything" :eek:

I short its about buying what you can afford and what you are happy with and thats best done once you know what your requirements generally are and what you're actually buying as all good tyres are Black and Round.
I bought the Michelin Pilot Super Sports which you can tell from the soft compound they are designed as a good grippy dry road tyre as opposed to wet roads and hence they have a trade off in terms of longevity. Due to my generally sedate cornering (no smoke) I do not need such a tyre and one with greater longevity will be my next purchase albeit a premium tyre as thats how '.the big blue' likes to roll :dance:

.the big blue (.enjoy the Forum and enjoy your Z' ,,regardless of tyre choice as that what Coupe's are all about !!) :D

Hi there The big blue,
Nice to see other Z owners are bikers too! Yes I'm a gixer 600 owner I'm on my third one now wrote one off on the road 80mph tankslapper ( not nice! And now make sure to have a steering damper fitted!) and the second one at a track day at Cadwell Park and yes I like to push my bikes limits knee down style ( you know what I mean) I've had the 750s and once had a Kwak 750 H2 which I still count as one of the most planted bikes I've ever ridden could corner that bike hard trapping my knee against the road and fairing and still felt planted!
The 600's for me are just a bit more fun you can get enough out of a 600 for our pot ridden roads Anything bigger and you just can't use the full performance for an advantage, I'm talking winding country roads. I'm probably sounding like a hooligan but I know where and when to open the throttle and that's not in built up areas or small villages like we see some doing.
Getting back to the tyre issue I've mainly used sport touring tyres on the bike for the longevity and never had a problem with grip at all angles even though they're heavier and stiffer in construction. For this year I've just put a pair of Maxxis diamonds on new chain & sprockets so we will see what a true budget tyre works like!
What do you think of the triumph? I've ridden most things by not a triumph. :beer:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
neilgsxr69 said:
DKZ5745 said:
RCZ-Performance said:

I disagree,

Does that mean don't buy a Peugeot if you can afford an Audi ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, that would have been don't buy as an individual if you want to be a sheep ;) :lol: :eusa-whistle:

DRTDVL

Reaction score
My personal thoughts are the re002's where the best value for money tyre around. I haven't driven on the re003's yet, but I've driven a range of cars with the re002's and they where a very good balance of cost and performance..

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi Frances :greetings-wavingblue:

..replacement tyre advice is what you enquired about I recall, having noticed a screw in my tyre over the weekend I was on the Tyre Leader website and saw that they have Continental conti sport contact 3's for £114 each, these tyres were fitted to 19 inch rimmed Z's at the factory from new ,,like them or not Peugeot viewed them as suitable to be their OEM fit! Regardless of opinions expressed about the Continentals they are only opinions as are the many tyre reviews that put them as 1st in various test reviews from 2010 onwards ! Just a consideration for you :eusa-think: , I may purchase a couple myself due to the screw I mentioned above.

At present I have Mitchelin Pilot Super Sports fitted all round which are a renowned as a good summer tyre BUT under normal driving and in covering 10000 miles since last June they are worn down to 3mm (even wear) across both front tyres so I guess with now drier roads it won't be long before they are reborn as summer slicks :(

Hope this helps and hopefully their are other members who are able to advise on the longevity of other tyre choices as coupe's are about 'style' and NOT just 'speed' around corners as the latter is the territory of the hot hatch which I'm sure mrizzle in his VXR can now greater comment on?? ! :thumbup:

.the big blue (....pls pls mrizzle and others out there I like to hear about comparatives AND you have moved on from Z's) :)

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi neilgsxr69 :greetings-wavingblue:

I deduced right about the gixer 6 then ! ,,as a fellow biker you didnt in any way come across as a hooligan on the purest mode of transport ever created for land BUT merely someone who is responsible and knows when to use the bike in the manner for what it was designed ,,pure supersports :dance:

Your Kwak H2 was it the striped black and red or the green and black?? both truly beautiful ,,how I craved one back in the day as my LC YPVS screamed through it power band having coughed and spluttered smoke and unburnt oil until it cleared its throat and propelled me forward as only two strokes can :twisted:

The 675 Daytona is an amazing bike and having ridden CBR-R's 636 ninjas, and R6's the torque of the "triple" has to be ridden to be appreciated. At first I was sceptical as I was one cylinder missing but get over that fact and get accustomed to its unbelievable torque and being able to instantly reach 80 plus in 2nd and 115 in 3rd etc as opposed to screaming to the a much higher redline with four cylinders and in a higher gear soon changes your whole opinion and makes playing with other other 600's in the twisties a calm affair. Watch their left foot banging up and down the box to retain their speed into then out of the bends :x when just 3rd gear and the right wrist would suffice on the Daytona ,,and don't get me going as to the three lunged beast and the engineered cackle and pop of the exhaust on the over run :eek:

.the big blue (Get yourself along to a Triumph dealer and test ride a Daytona and youll to be amazed ,,that is if the maxxis don't get the better of you)!! :beer:

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
MPSS's are not a good summer tyre but a max performance summer tyre hence the longevity of them is far less than other less performing tyres, although driving habits will again depict life of the tyres (there is another category above the max and that is the extreme performance tyres). The MPSS's also come with less tread from the get go. The Conti 3's did not give us what we wanted from a max performance tyre, although they are in the same category as the MPSS's. They seem to skip around and not grip as much as needed.

So you have to decide what type of tyre you want for the way you drive your car and based upon the decision will come the cost.

Budget tyre: longer lasting, less performance
Mid-Range: long lasting with performance
Performance: shorter life span with maximum performance

Remember you will get what you pay for.

We are happy with the MPSS's knowing they will not last long, but the confidence of the grip is much better than other max summer tyres, exceeds the grip from mid-range tyres, and far exceeds budget tyres. Safety is really the main purpose of the tyre. Having MPSS's does not go against that in anyway. They are terrific in the dry and respond fantastic to when having to make quick deviations in the road to avoid obstacles. They also perform great in the wet with dispersion of the water away from the tyre to avoid any hydroplaning. They do not work well at all in the snow, but that is a given as they are not all-season tyres and not designed to be used in the snow. If we wanted an all-around tyre to last and work in all scenarios of weather we would look at the new Michelin offering the cross-climate, and similar tyres from other manufacturers.

We have no affiliation with Michelin but we find them hard to beat when we have looked for tyres for the cars we have had and what we need from the tyres.

If we are going to compare tyres, here is a good graph to show where MPSS's are against others including the Conti's (enjoy):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

We have no problem with what tyre anyone buys, but for the RCZ it has to be a max performance tyre at a minimum.

What you pay for tyres is not a problem either, if we could get the MPSS's for the same price as budget that would be great but for now £170.00 a tyre (245/35/20) is as good as it gets.

:beer:

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi RCZ Performance :greetings-wavingblue:

..I stand corrected as when I said summer tyre I actually meant ultimate performance tyre and do not argue with its road holding capabilities. I just wanted to get the point across that folk should know what they are buying and that way when they are faced with short longevity they do not feel aggrieved as I have been as that is what they have bought and what ultimate performance tyres offer.
It is so easy to crave the best and dearest tyre ,,BUT you gain nothing if you do not use it for the purpose for which it was tediously created ,,a bit like owning a Ferrari and purely using it for a two mile school run in central London and complaining about the engine smoking whilst stuck in traffic, a firm ride, poor rear visibility etc ,,you know how it goes :lol:

Its strange how I don't mind 3000 miles from a £200 motorbike tyre but when it comes to my cars its another story!! :oops:

Im just wondering about buying two conti 3's for the front as memory dictates they weren't that bad for boring day to day driving ,,WERE THEY ?????????????? plus its only a 40 limit between my house and John Lewis (i meant Aldi's) :helpme:

.the big blue (..the most vocal I've been in ages on the Forum, it must be the puncture) :beer:

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
the big blue said:
Hi RCZ Performance :greetings-wavingblue:

..I stand corrected as when I said summer tyre I actually meant ultimate performance tyre and do not argue with its road holding capabilities. I just wanted to get the point across that folk should know what they are buying and that way when they are faced with short longevity they do not feel aggrieved as I have been as that is what they have bought and what ultimate performance tyres offer.
It is so easy to crave the best and dearest tyre ,,BUT you gain nothing if you do not use it for the purpose for which it was tediously created ,,a bit like owning a Ferrari and purely using it for a two mile school run in central London and complaining about the engine smoking whilst stuck in traffic, a firm ride, poor rear visibility etc ,,you know how it goes :lol:

Its strange how I don't mind 3000 miles from a £200 motorbike tyre but when it comes to my cars its another story!! :oops:

Im just wondering about buying two conti 3's for the front as memory dictates they weren't that bad for boring day to day driving ,,WERE THEY ?????????????? plus its only a 40 limit between my house and John Lewis (i meant Aldi's) :helpme:

.the big blue (..the most vocal I've been in ages on the Forum, it must be the puncture) :beer:

Yes we agree, if you buy it then use it.

We would not suggest that MPSS's are bought for an RCZ unless you have experienced what we had with the Conti's as in loss of grip during very hard cornering. Again we say it comes down to confidence because the tyre is the only thing between you and the road. Although anyone in the market of tyres can still look at them knowing that they will not last as long but they do grip better.

As you said earlier we all have our opinions and ours is more inline with performance and if you are adding performance to your car (e.g. engine modifications) then you should upgrade in other areas too. As you know our car is setup with a coil-over suspension system and other suspension items and so the MPSS's are really a must (or a comparable tyre), as we push hard into corners when wanting too knowing that the MPSS's will not give and if they do they eventually grip again, no tyre is not going to slip.

The Conti's are a perfect all-around max performance tyre and you can't go wrong with them at all.

Tyre discussions are like 'what air to use in the tyres' and 'hose material' discussions, it's never going to result in a winner of any kind, but it does get out the possible options and opinions. Ultimately those asking the initial question and others looking for guidance, will always get great information to make a decision.

:beer:

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi RCZ-Performance :greetings-wavingblue:

...as always its nice to get involved in a post that provides advice and at the same time promotes a topic from which readers can gain and/or confirm pieces of knowledge from collective shared experiences. Its about helping other Forum members which is something i've benefitted from on the occasions my Z' has developed a known fault which I have advised the dealer of before they have been able to rub their hands together and say the word denoting legal theft: "DIAGNOSTICS" :twisted:
I see so far there has been nothing from folk who had fitted Dunlop SP Sportmaxx RT's as to their overall experiences with them as I had considered them before getting my four MPSS for my Z' last year ?? (anyone)

.the big blue (RCZ-Performance ,,you mentioned what type of air in tyres ,,fill them with cement to avoid punctures is what I'm now saying BUT then that will lead to a discussion on "unsprung weight")!! :crazy:

OH' and its good to hear that the Company believes in what it does ...tried and tested 'PERFORMANCE' :beer:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I thought from the ride quality that's what they were filled with as standard :lol:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Cossack said:
Hi yall anybody tried the Uniroyals 3 ?

Had them on my last car Megane CC. They were very good in the wet. Found them about the same as the Goodyear Eagles that I had previously for road noise.
Overall, I would buy them again, although the performance of the Z is far in excess of the Megane.

Joske

Reaction score
Sint-Huibrechts-Hern - Limburg - Flanders
I have now Dunlop SportMaxx RT.
Before I tried Toyo, as I was always pleased with Toyo on my previous car (206).
On the RCZ they were rubish. No grip in the wet, and way more oversteer even in the bonedry, but cheap.

The Dunlops I tested on Circuit Zolder (wet and dry) and Zanvoort (dry) and on the twisty roads of the Ardennes and the Eifel last year. Even compared to the factory fitted Contis they perform better.

A

Anonymous

the big blue said:
Hi Frances :greetings-wavingblue:

..replacement tyre advice is what you enquired about I recall, having noticed a screw in my tyre over the weekend I was on the Tyre Leader website and saw that they have Continental conti sport contact 3's for £114 each, these tyres were fitted to 19 inch rimmed Z's at the factory from new ,,like them or not Peugeot viewed them as suitable to be their OEM fit! Regardless of opinions expressed about the Continentals they are only opinions as are the many tyre reviews that put them as 1st in various test reviews from 2010 onwards ! Just a consideration for you :eusa-think: , I may purchase a couple myself due to the screw I mentioned above.

At present I have Mitchelin Pilot Super Sports fitted all round which are a renowned as a good summer tyre BUT under normal driving and in covering 10000 miles since last June they are worn down to 3mm (even wear) across both front tyres so I guess with now drier roads it won't be long before they are reborn as summer slicks :(

Hope this helps and hopefully their are other members who are able to advise on the longevity of other tyre choices as coupe's are about 'style' and NOT just 'speed' around corners as the latter is the territory of the hot hatch which I'm sure mrizzle in his VXR can now greater comment on?? ! :thumbup:

.the big blue (....pls pls mrizzle and others out there I like to hear about comparatives AND you have moved on from Z's) :)

I ended up with Michelin pilot super sport :dance: had to go out and have a look at them :-?
So not such a bad choice then :thumbup: