What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Tyres - Costs and What make ?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

not had to buy tyres yet, what is the best place to buy from and at what price ? I don't want to spend a lot as thinking of changing my car in August so want a pair which will keep me going till then, I have the GT so 19" wheels ? I Think help please. Thanks how much do I expect to pay per tyre ? I love in the Milton Keynes Area. :dance: :helpme: :helpme: :helpme:

A

Anonymous

The standard continental tyres are around £200 each, you could go for goodyear Eagle which are slightly cheaper but i advise against budget brand tyres as the seem to cause problems. Look on sites like black circles, camskill and mytyres for prices :)

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Abzynthe said:
I get mine from here.
http://www.tyretraders.com/

They tyres I have just ordered were £57 each delivered, but they are budget tyres (obviously ;) )

You surprise me! I realise it is each to their own, and I suppose they can't exactly be dangerous, or they wouldnt be able to sell them, but I do think with the performance of the Z it's certainly an item not worth scrimping on.

I have used budget tyres in the past on previous cars, I even put part worn ones on my first Mini - it was all I could afford at the time, but as for the Z, I will definitely be going for the best quality I can afford when I need to replace the front two, possibly later this year.

I have my eye on either MPSS or Vredestein maybe.

As for this thread, eddreed you could have a look here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9065

Abzynthe

Reaction score
I just think that for normal road use and the amount of miles I drive, budget tyres are adequate. I read reviews on all tyres I buy and while some need to be taken with a pinch of salt, I wont buy any where negatives outway the positives. The ones I have ordered are rated C for wet grip and fuel economy. The reviews are that they are deseptively sticky and stick really well under pressure. So why not pay £50 odd to give them a try? :)

frankvdb

Reaction score
I'm awaiting delivery of 4 19" MPSS tyres and 4 Technical rims (with black inserts) as a 5 year birthday present to my car! :dance:
Not cheap (EUR. 2200 including tyre pressure sensors and fitting etc.) but got the price of my 18" (with corrosion problems, but I will keep them for my Michielin winter tyres) as discount, so still a good deal.

A

Anonymous

Just had 2 x MPSS's 235/40 ZR 19 96y fitted for £310.60

Got the tyre price quoted from tyreleader.co.uk (149 and some change each!!!) and then got them fitted at Formula1 - handy doing this as Formula1 say they will match a price for any tyre, and then take off 10% of the difference in their price/competitor prices :)

Stu

2retro

Reaction score
I don't scrimp on tyres - they are, after all, the only part of your car that touch the road and the things that may well save your life one day.

A

Anonymous

Agree with 2 Retro cant see why you would go cheap on tyres defo think you get what you pay for with tyres why hobble the handling of the car putting tyres on that will leave go a whole lot sooner than those provided on the car anyone can go quick in a straight line!

t110jim

Reaction score
I had this problem as well not knowing what tyres to go for I went to the various webs sites with tyre tests . I narrowed it down to Dunlop Michelin and vredestien in the end after reading all the reports I went for the vredestien . I am now hopping I have made the right choice as you have to live with them for a fair few miles, I found there was not a great price difference between brands and possibly would have replaced the continentals with new one except the ones that came off we're all cracked between the tread blocks. Good luck with your choice

stagger321

Reaction score
Got to say I am a little amazed by Abz take on boots.
For a man that obviously loves and looks after his wheels, skimping on new tyres comes as a surprise.
As I have the R, and all that traction through 2 front wheels I am not going the cheap route. Will probably be F1's again or something similar - sourced via tyreleader, and fitted locally. Whichever I go for its going to be B rating in the wet as a minimum.
Really not worth taking the risk going down the cheap option, tempting though it might be.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
I'm just sharing my opinion, like everyone else :) If I die due to my tyre choice, I'll leave a note in my will saying I was wrong ;)

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I parked next to this Fiesta tonight. Looks like he got your tyres Abz :eusa-think:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 9,569

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Only joking, I mean, if they're good enough for Formula 1 cars ............. :lol:

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi all' :greetings-wavingblue:

.....having admired the photo of that summer slick tyre on the Fiesta had me thinking now theres a driver who is wishing for summer so that they have an advantage in contact patch for superior grip in dry conditions !

With regards to tyre choice I can appreciate where Abz is coming from even though I always tend to by premium rubber for both myself and my Z' :oops:

I currently have a set of Mich PSS on the front that replaced the Original Conti's and have a set of new Mich PSS in storage for the rear that I bought in advance from TyreLeader. However, had I been aware of the wear rate of the PSS's I would most probably have gone for a different tyre possibly the Dunlops. There is no denying the PSS's are grippy and the bubblegum soft compound as seen and felt on the outside edges upon initial wear becomes clearly illustrated. I know its a compromise between overall grip at the extremes and longevity BUT for me "personally" i'm thinking that the PSS's do not seem to offer the longevity that I desire. Such a trade off I'm more than happy to accept on my motorbike where up to 4000 miles from sublime Pirelli super corsa's is ok BUT I guess in my car ultimate racetrack grip is not my sole primary concern AND for the way I drive my Z' I do not really require all that the PSS tyre has to offer in terms of grip. The latter is not because I have a disregard about my own safety (Abz :wave: ) as there are cars that put out more than treble the HP / BHP / PS that use the same PSS's so I don't think that my Z' is about to suddenly handle like an old Lincoln Continental on the basis that I had opted for American Goodyears OR my preferred Dunlops :eusa-think:

.the big blue (...silent maybe, BUT still alive and well on the Forum back benches! OH and did the guy who switched from a Toyota GT86 to a Z' get round to drawing his 'grin factor' comparisons between the two ??) :beer:

A

Anonymous

I've always liked Hankook. Stopped by at a local garage this afternoon on the way home & they are offering them at £130 (235/40/19) a corner fitted so I'll be trying those this time. Would love to see an official 'tyre rating' chart on the forum (not seen one as yet), where people do a standardised review for us to compare. I'm happy to review the Hankooks if needed!

A

Anonymous

captaintrips said:
I've always liked Hankook. Stopped by at a local garage this afternoon on the way home & they are offering them at £130 (235/40/19) a corner fitted so I'll be trying those this time. Would love to see an official 'tyre rating' chart on the forum (not seen one as yet), where people do a standardised review for us to compare. I'm happy to review the Hankooks if needed!

Which Hankooks? I binned Pirelli P Zeros on the VXR because they were utterly mince. I replaced them with Hankooks which came strongly recommended to me by other VXR owners. They're either s1 or s2 Evos, can't recall which. They're better rated in EVERY aspect than the Pirellis and first hand experiences have proven these to be accurate.

Just sayin', premium name tyres at premium prices don't always make for the premium performance. (That said, the Evos in the VXR tyre size are still £178 a corner! Stupid 20ins alloys!)

Joske

Reaction score
Sint-Huibrechts-Hern - Limburg - Flanders
I let myself seduce last year with a cheaper set of Toyo Tires. I loved them on my 70bhp 206 1.4HDi, but on my RCZ they let me down seriously. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wheelspin in second gear on dry surface. 0 grip in moist conditions, let alone real rain.

I put them up for sale after 3 month driving them, and that's now 1 year ago, and the are still not sold.

Afterwards I went for Dunlop Sportmaxx RT. Not the nicest looking tire (compare to ex. toyo) but worth every €€ more.
On 2 wheels they didn't need to use balancing weigths, :shock: Wheel was perfectly in balance with just watching the heaviest point of the tire aligned with the valve of wheel. :clap: :clap: :clap: