What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Tyres - Costs and What make ?

hubcaps

Reaction score
I know tyre posts are a bit tedious, but here's my take on rubber. I've had Vredestien Ultrac Vortis for about 5000 miles now and I can honestly say they are the best tyres I've ever had. The contis were crap. Far too hard, too noisy, didn't like the rain, and very sensitive to tyre pressures. Then I had Dunlop Sportmaxx RTs which were great as far as quietness, wet and dry grip were concerned, but they didn't last long and could I get the buggers balanced properly! I drove to Lake Garda last year and had to get the fronts balanced there..........and they were still a bit iffy.
However, look no further than Evo's latest tyre test. The Vreds were rated superb in the dry runs and pretty good in the rest. And a good price as well. Event tyres have them at £150 fitted.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So, been a delay on the delivery of the Hankook's, so going in tomorrow for them fitting & been talked in to four wheel tracking at the same time.
I seriously looked at the Vredestiens, in fact they were going to be the ones I ordered, but then I found the Hankook's on offer, and as I had thought about those too, I went for them.
Glad the Vredestiens turned out to be a good choice, hopefully my other choice will prove as successful.
I will let you know how I get on with the Hankook's once they're on. :eusa-think:

tianorth

Reaction score
Hope you have black weights fitted if you have black wheels.

I went to my tyre dealer who fits my motorbike tyres and bought 3 strips of black weights from him and got peugeot dealership to re balance the wheels.

Looks less outstanding than silver weights on black wheels.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Good point, it already has silver weights on, but of course they will be coming off. If they don't have any black ones, looks like my OH's black nail varnish is coming out again. :eusa-think:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Just at the dealers now. Apparently, they would have to buy in 10kg bags of black weights, so they don't have them. The service manager hadn't even heard of them until I asked, and he then looked into sourcing them.

Looks like a nail varnish job :eusa-think:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Regarding the washer bottle leak, they are still insisting it isn't leaking, despite me showing them this photo I took this morning after it had been filled last night, and hadn't been driven.

They are saying if they can't see the leak, they can't fix it. Maybe they should be replacing the lot when it's pretty obvious there is a leak somewhere :eusa-think:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 4,870

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Right, so new update. They have found the leak :clap: it's a headlight washer pipe :eusa-whistle:

So part ordered, another trip to dealer scheduled. At least the coffee here is pretty good :sleeping-yellow:

tianorth

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Regarding the washer bottle leak, they are still insisting it isn't leaking, despite me showing them this photo I took this morning after it had been filled last night, and hadn't been driven.

They are saying if they can't see the leak, they can't fix it. Maybe they should be replacing the lot when it's pretty obvious there is a leak somewhere :eusa-think:

Is that the same as "I'm have trouble with my engine", dealership response "there is nothing wrong with your engine looking from the outside".
"Well have you thought of opening/remove the panel to check?"
dealership response "why would we do that, can't we just fob you off?" "That would mean we have to do some actual work"

tianorth

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Just at the dealers now. Apparently, they would have to buy in 10kg bags of black weights, so they don't have them. The service manager hadn't even heard of them until I asked, and he then looked into sourcing them.

Looks like a nail varnish job :eusa-think:
Looked on a few sites last night

1 box of black weights.

£15.59 for 50 strips of black weights.
Each strip has 60g in 5g and 10g weights.

Wonder if RCZ-Performance can get them?
Should have checked last night!

Thinking of possibly a group buy!!!!

On ebay there is 1 strip (60g) for £3.

t110jim

Reaction score
When I got the vredstiens :thumbup: guy at tyre fitter balanced them on the inside no sign of weights on the I flat part of the rims

A

Anonymous

Call me boring , but I was gonna get the original Good Year's as they seem good.

I am blatantly missing a lot here so please any / more advice gratefully received.

Andy.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
The GoodYear Assymetric 2 is a very good tyre for the RCZ. Absolutely no down sides.

Currently I roll on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and I like them too. But time will tell if they are as good in wet as the GY. I'll let you all know.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So far with the Hankook's, car feels nice, more responsive than with the Contis, and sounds quieter. Not really been able to try the grip level too much yet, but so far seems at least as good as the Contis.

As for the "black" wheel weights, as per my previous post, they were not available at the dealer, so I asked if they had to fit any weights, could go to the back of the wheel to make them less obvious....... :wtf:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 4,788

tianorth

Reaction score
Don't be too eager to test the tyres, at least run them in first as they will need time to settle in.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Yeah, no worries there. I will try my best to be a bit restrained until they have settled down a bit. It is a little difficult though, especially after the service, cos it's running sooooo smoooth.

Just waiting for the Sat Nav part (new GPS Aerial) then everything is as good as new again :thumbup:

renegade79

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
As for the "black" wheel weights, as per my previous post, they were not available at the dealer, so I asked if they had to fit any weights, could go to the back of the wheel to make them less obvious....... :wtf:
The obviously didn't listen to you then :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

Just changing the rears at 35,000 miles for Pzero as I have on the front that i changed at 26,000. got them from Black Circles £119 each fitted..

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I have done over 2000 miles on the Michelin Super Sport and to be honest, I don't like them on the RCZ R. The R's harder suspension does not go hand in hand with the harder shoulder of the Michelin tyres. Where the OEM Goodyear Assy 2 provides more damping through the tyre's side walls, the Michelin does not. And below 15°C in wet the Michelin become rock hard with sending a not very assuring feedback to the steering wheel. They still grip somehow but you get a feeling like driving on ice. This relates to higher speed only (above 70mph) so maybe not of any concern in the UK ;)

So the first thing I did was to play with tyre pressure to help reduce this effect, ie make those Michelins "act" softer.
Recommended tyre pressure is 34PSI something, I went as low as 28PSI on the fronts and rear. It helps a bit, but they are still way too hard in their response for R's suspension.
It shows me how precise and well-done the calibration on the R was done by Pug Sport. Excellent! :greetings-wavingblue:

Other than that the PSS is a very good tyre. With them on the car, the R has a more precise steering feedback rendering the opinions about a bit sluggish or feedback-low response of the steering as claimed by e.g. EVO magazine, obsolete. Suddenly the car steers crystal clear and rapid with those PSS on it. Perfect for track days.
The grip is phenomenal. Way higher than on those GY. You need to apply a new level of self-confidence when cornering with the car. Brutal for a frontwheel-driven car. I can tackle well known corners in my neighborhood significantly faster than back on those original GYs.
Rolling resistance seems to be at level with GY as they already been very good.
In wet performance is not as good as on the GY. The GY provide a very high grip level in wet and induce a reassuring feedback back to the steering wheel.
Wear off looks like way better than on GY as I'm not able to measure any wear off after having this distance driven.

For me the consequences are clear, sell the hardly used PSS and swap back to GY Assy 2.