What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Tyres - Costs and What make ?

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
captaintrips said:
I've always liked Hankook. Stopped by at a local garage this afternoon on the way home & they are offering them at £130 (235/40/19) a corner fitted so I'll be trying those this time. Would love to see an official 'tyre rating' chart on the forum (not seen one as yet), where people do a standardised review for us to compare. I'm happy to review the Hankooks if needed!

Which Hankooks? I binned Pirelli P Zeros on the VXR because they were utterly mince. I replaced them with Hankooks which came strongly recommended to me by other VXR owners. They're either s1 or s2 Evos, can't recall which. They're better rated in EVERY aspect than the Pirellis and first hand experiences have proven these to be accurate.

Just sayin', premium name tyres at premium prices don't always make for the premium performance. (That said, the Evos in the VXR tyre size are still £178 a corner! Stupid 20ins alloys!)

Thanks for the advice about the Pirelli P Zeros, I was looking to replace mine for them, however I won't bother.

Had a bit of a minor victory this week with my dealer, as when I bought the car, or when it arrived at the Dealers on a transporter! I was told the front tyres were shot and they would be replaced. Then they back peddled and said company policy was not to replace them if they got 3mm left! Bloody stingy IMHO. However, this week I have done a tread depth across all the tyre and they are less than 3mm. Most of my colleagues looking at the car immediately picked up on the fact that there wasn't a lot left in the tyres, including a traffic cop who I work with!

My husband, master at crafting good emails, informed the Sales Manager he wasn't happy, blah blah, and result, new boots are being fitted as we speak. Let you know later what they've put on the car! :shock:

Hankooks are supposed to be excellent, all the rally boys seem to swear by 'em.

Sharon

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Keep an eye on what's been fitted Sharon, on another thread, a recently purchased car went back to the dealer for a replacement front tyre, and they stuck on some budget rubbish. The result was a front end shudder at certain speeds.
After a bit of hard negotiation, they replaced it with the same type that was on the other side & shudder disappeared.

Also, check the sills when they have done the job, make sure they haven't caved them in, cos the Z has a bit of form there :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
Which Hankooks?

He's quoted me for the Hankook Ventus S1 EVO2 K117 235/40 ZR19 96Y which I'll definitely go for this time. Most likely to need them in 3 to 4 weeks time. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

DKZ5745 said:
Keep an eye on what's been fitted Sharon, on another thread, a recently purchased car went back to the dealer for a replacement front tyre, and they stuck on some budget rubbish. The result was a front end shudder at certain speeds.
After a bit of hard negotiation, they replaced it with the same type that was on the other side & shudder disappeared.

Also, check the sills when they have done the job, make sure they haven't caved them in, cos the Z has a bit of form there :eusa-think:

They've put on Landsails, which apparently are alright for budget tyres. Not really my choice but at least with a matched pair, hopefully they may be ok, we will see!

Good point about the sills, going to check them now...

stagger321

Reaction score
captaintrips said:
mrizzle said:
Which Hankooks?

He's quoted me for the Hankook Ventus S1 EVO2 K117 235/40 ZR19 96Y which I'll definitely go for this time. Most likely to need them in 3 to 4 weeks time. :thumbup:
The Hankooks were quoted for my Wifes Pug at local dealer. not a RCZ, but checking then out they seem good VFM.
For the 235/40/R19s you can get them for a shade over 120quid each from Tyreleader (plus fitting - local garage - about 10-20quid a go). 'A' rated grip in the wet which is better than the F1's I currently run.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I ran those Hankooks on my previous car - Megane CC and they were at least as good as the Goodyear Eagles it came with :eusa-think:

SEVEN7SEV3N

Reaction score
Not needing any at the moment, but what kind of mileage are you all getting from said tyres ? :?:

A

Anonymous

My Continentals on there now will have done around 17k when they are replaced.
Both fronts. My rears still have 7 to 8mm depth left.

Jimbrodie1

Reaction score
I've had P Zeros on mine for the past couple of months. I do up to 1000 miles a weeks going back and forward to work and have found them to be perfectly adequate. Excellent grip in the wet and the dry. I have not noticed any difference between theses and the Conti's which were on it previously.

The best thing about them though is the reduced road noise. It's like driving a different car. The Conti's on it previously were sooooo noisy these are whisper quiet :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I can also highly recommend http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/ - you can pick up some exellent deals on premium and mid-range tyres to make them more affordable. Personally I've just replaced my rears with Michelin SS and intend swapping the fronts (unpredictable Contis) too at the end of summer (although I'm aware of the higher wear rate due to the softer compound which may put some people off!).

Worth doing a bit of research here to see how people rate your choices too - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ and also check out the Tyre Test compilations from the major magazines - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Tests/

IMO (as with brakes) it's worth getting the best you can afford. You're paying primarily for the rubber compound which makes all the difference in grip and stopping distance, especially in the wet. Just because the tread pattern looks similar on cheaper copies doesn't mean they are the same... (especially not the cheap Chinese ones). Clearly you can adjust your driving style to take weather, wear and grip levels into account, but IMO it's wet weather emergency braking where it really counts and you may have little to no warning - NB in the first clip below, the car with cheap tyres was still doing 30mph when it passed the point where the other one had stopped from 70mph. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for (within reason):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2c9Ry0JfMw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_j-2W2uZ8c
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Pr ... rmance.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Au ... rmance.htm
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/introduction/1204998
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ ... tm?t=85623

As per the videos/articles, tyre choice is worth careful consideration; your choice may make the difference one day between hitting a child/cyclist/lorry or not... As ever though it's a compromise, we can't all always afford (or be prepared to pay for) the most expensive premium tyres there are - that said, I'd go for at least a mid-range option if price of the premium brands was prohibitive - I have had similar 'discussions' with a chap who thought fitting Ling Longs to an XKR was a good idea... :eusa-think:

It's also worth noting that tyres even vary with within a manufacturer, I have had some excellent Toyo T1-Rs and T1-Sports on my XKR, but the more normal sizes appear to be less than special according to other people's reviews, hence why I use tyrereviews.co.uk to get an idea for the wheel size I am interested in... http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/

A

Anonymous

eddreed said:
Hi,

not had to buy tyres yet, what is the best place to buy from and at what price ? I don't want to spend a lot as thinking of changing my car in August so want a pair which will keep me going till then, I have the GT so 19" wheels ? I Think help please. Thanks how much do I expect to pay per tyre ? I love in the Milton Keynes Area. :dance: :helpme: :helpme: :helpme:

I take it from the above that the rest of us are safe when you are outside of the Milton Keynes Area ?

A

Anonymous

245/40/19 ready to go on after the 20th April. It does not snow after then where I am !
www.tyreleader.co.uk are the best for prices and fitting centres. Tyres for all budgets. Also after market wheels. I got some black wheels with winter tyres on for £550. I went down from the 19" to 18" for the winter tyres and wheels. Fantastic through winter. Bad snow and weather where I am in Lancashire 1200 feet above sea level, never had any problems in the snow. In fact, we used to overtake struggling 4x4 vehicles. :lol:

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
Our opinion and experience with tyre choices:

If you go for performance tyres, better grip is usually the reason to get them, then they will wear faster because the rubber is softer to provide the grip you are looking for, tread depth is lower because you want less air between the road and the tyre (why slicks are the best but of course not for road use), and usually you want better confidence in the tyres especially when cornering, but these tyres do cost more.

Non-performance tyres (you can call them cheaper if you want, and usually this is the case when compared to performance tyres), these will provide more longevity because they are made of harder rubber so that they wear less, and your driving habits will not be the same as if you had the softer tyres. The longevity is not just due to harder rubber but also deeper tread as well. These tyres are great all-around tyres but do not offer the performance that the original Conti's do or other tyres mentioned as performance (e.g. MPSS, Goodyear F1). One thing with these tyres is that road noise will increase because of the harder rubber.

At the end of the day you buy what you can afford and/or want, and as long as they meet the minimum requirements of the car manufacturer and insurance then you are okay.

We buy our tyres from http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/ (we have no affiliation with this company, but they do have access to all tyres we require and at a great price too).

We run only MPSS tyres as it's about grip in the dry and wet and knowing they grip better than most other tyres around the same price range.

A

Anonymous

I think that it's worth pointing out that the softer rubber offers better grip in dry conditions but not necessarily in wet conditions. The tread is what offers the grip in the wet as it displaces the lying water. The easiest way to think about this is in F1, harder compound tyres with deeper tread in the wet, soft slick tyres when the weather is dry.

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
mrizzle said:
I think that it's worth pointing out that the softer rubber offers better grip in dry conditions but not necessarily in wet conditions. The tread is what offers the grip in the wet as it displaces the lying water. The easiest way to think about this is in F1, harder compound tyres with deeper tread in the wet, soft slick tyres when the weather is dry.
True that the tread design is critical to water displacement. And just because the tread design looks cool, doesn't mean it works. But finding a tyre that does both perfectly is the challenge but does not come cheap for the buyer, hence why there are give and take with tyre choices.

A

Anonymous

RCZ-Performance said:
We buy our tyres from http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/ (we have no affiliation with this company, but they do have access to all tyres we require and at a great price too).

Thought I'd check that site out, so I ran a quote for MP SS 234/40/19 tyres-pneus [TP] vs tyreleader [TL]. Unless I've missed something obvious (both include free delivery from what I can see):

TP = £312.80
TL = £287.78 :dance: (£25 less! Not paying a penny more than I have to...)

Worth noting that TL prices fluctuate daily, so worth keeping an eye over a period and buying at a low if you can...

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
mistral_blue said:
RCZ-Performance said:

Thought I'd check that site out, so I ran a quote for MP SS 234/40/19 tyres-pneus [TP] vs tyreleader [TL]. Unless I've missed something obvious (both include free delivery from what I can see):

TP = £312.80
TL = £287.78 :dance: (£25 less! Not paying a penny more than I have to...)

Worth noting that TL prices fluctuate daily, so worth keeping an eye over a period and buying at a low if you can...

Prices fluctuate, stock fluctuates, customer service is key. Every time we have checked with TL they did not have stock of what we were looking for, where as TP did and we got them in a couple of days. But no worries again not affiliated with either one and yes get the best price when you can.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience having been a rider of super sport motorcycles for over 35 years there are loads of bulls#* regarding tyres.big hype from manufacturers advertising their tyres are the best/ safest/ fastest! They spend millions on these adverts.I'm sure most would agree that tyre grip and handling are more important on a bike than a car and over the years I've tried all sorts of manufacturers tyres on bikes and cars and unless your doing silly stunts on the road or track day riding/ driving and pushing to the limit you ain't going to notice much difference in tyres budget or top money tyres.
I've been running my Z for a year now the car came with Accellera tyres to 3 corners and a conti on the other. I've just changed the conti and the opposite side for two new Accellera's at £160 fitted for the pair they are on the rear (I always put new tyres on in pairs)
There are loads of feedback on these tyres some good some frighteningly bad! But they have been great and I have never lost traction or had any problems with them at all., they have good rim protector too which I think is a top consideration when choosing tyres with costly 19" alloys.

If you want top bragging rights in a crowd then keep paying £200 a corner if you want a good all round budget tyre you won't go far wrong with the Accelleras.
:thumbup: