What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Spare wheel - Solutions available

A

Anonymous

i agree mel, also the tyres are not usually in stock at most high street suppliers.

A

Anonymous

mr shiney said:
Interesting discussion. I have never had a flat in 25 years of driving!! None of my last dozen cars have had a spare wheel either!

I have AA membership and think it is enough risk mitigation on top of the gunk and compressor to not be bothered about the slim chance of a flat.

I am curious to understand why others see it as such an important thing?

Well in my case I went for many years without getting a flat, then on the last car I had a flat and 3 leaks over 4 years, all caused by screws in the tread, so Ive lost trust. As I do a lot of country kms on weekends I don't want to be caught out in the middle of nowhere with a flat. You might be able to rely on your automobile Association in the city but in Australia you can be a long way from anywhere and on a Sunday its a struggle to find someone who can plug a tyre in country town. I carry tyre plugs as well now so I'm pretty well covered.

A

Anonymous

I guess thats the difference. In the UK you are never far from rescue!

As I said it was not a criticism of anyones choice. I was just curious to understand what the thinking was.

Personally I am perfectly happy to take the risk and if needs be wait for rescue if the gunk and pump don't work. I don't find anything in life so important to have to worry about time being money etc. I prefer the relaxed approach and if I have to sit by the road waiting for rescue so be it!!

A

Anonymous

mr shiney said:
I guess thats the difference. In the UK you are never far from rescue!

As I said it was not a criticism of anyones choice. I was just curious to understand what the thinking was.

Personally I am perfectly happy to take the risk and if needs be wait for rescue if the gunk and pump don't work. I don't find anything in life so important to have to worry about time being money etc. I prefer the relaxed approach and if I have to sit by the road waiting for rescue so be it!!

you may be sitting at home a couple of days whilst a tyre is orderd as the 19inch are not generally off the shelf so i prefer to carry a spare because as a self employed person time is money

GT RCZ

Reaction score
I was on holiday on the isle of man with my z4 which had run flat tyres. Had trouble locating a tyre & was told by local dealer that they would have to wait for one to be shipped over from the mainland!!!!!

Thats why I chose to seek out the space saver option.

A

Anonymous

Hi,
This quote from Peugeot UK

"The RCZ is not provided with a spare wheel but a puncture repair kit. In the unfortunate event of a puncture the kit injects foam into the tyre to allow the vehicle to be driven to the nearest garage. This system has been in operation for some years and is used on a number of sports vehicles where the fitting of a spare wheel is physically impractical"

Not what the owners say..................

Paul141

A

Anonymous

by sharky » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:41 pm

I have found a better solution than the space saver wheel

The tyre and wheel can probably be found cheapest at Car Breakers yards. I have just paid £45 for and wheel and tyre, when the tyre alone costs £130.

It is the steel wheel and tyre from the peugeot 407 sw 215 55r 17" 94w this fits in boot recess perfectly and clears the brake calliper so you can drive home a lot faster than 50 mph especially as I have the HDI GT model. The problem stills remains with the front wheel brake calliper and disk being too big, so the front puncture still means you have two tyres to change.

A

Anonymous

Still not an ideal solution, however as there isn't going to be an ideal solution, then I guess this is as good as it gets. The question remains though, which is better? If you travel down your route, you need a jack and brace and a way of securing them into the boot.

A

Anonymous

If only there was a way of keeping the flat bit uppermost then we'd have the solution :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

Hey I get nice gift from Peugeot. Absolutely no cost. Look what I find in trunk of my new baby.
Long drive safe now.
:crazy:

Attachments

• IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 10,227
A

Anonymous

We bought a spare wheel from dealer. Details as follows

Alloy
Tyre 235x40x19
Total £534.96....We might have been given slight discount as wheel very slightly different shade!

Salesman gave us jack & hubby picked up brace, but not sure how much he paid for that...think it was about a tenner!

It fits great in well, deflated, but as it's quite heavy we have noticed a slight increase in fuel consumtion, especially when loaded up. No great issue tho & acceleration still awesome even in 6th gear on motorway. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Hi Fellow RCZ owners,

New to the forum, although I have had my RCZ for just over 5-months. Reading all the information regarding the spare wheel has made me think that maybe I should get one too!

Although I have to say at the moment that I am pre-occupied with rust on the brakes and callipers......which I think maybe a topic in another forum which I wlll check out in a mo.

Anyway hi to all.

Brian

A

Anonymous

I managed to pick up a Jaguar S type 18" space saver which has a 2mm circumference difference than my 19" alloys.The offset is the same at 5/108 but the centre bore was too small at 62mm so had to be machined out to 65.1mm .Fits in the space in the boot and then picked up a new 308 jack kit for £10.

A

Anonymous

Hello all,
I have just been into my local tyre place and they can do me an 18" wheel to fit (front or rear) for £150 (no tyre)
So I was thinking, I may get two, put one in the boot as a spare and one in the garage. Am I a weirdo ? Well no, I was going to put snow tyres on the rims!
So if we get snow, I just swap my fronts for the 18's with snow tyres and if I get a puncture the short time on the snow tyre will not matter.

THOUGHTS anyone ?

Paul141

A

Anonymous

All,
Me again, :wave: so I found a problem with the fit one keep one idea. :thumbdown:
I can not find tyres that are NOT directional (so you can fit them to any side) any where on-line. :thumbdown:
Be just my luck to have the right side wheel in the boot and get a left puncture, and still have to swap wheels around like a fool. :oops:
Same applies to keeping a deflated 19 in the boot, what side do you keep ? The super saver tyres are NON directional, so they work, BUT not on the front wheels.

Good job I got Green Flag :dance: ...... and the stupid AA they flog you with the car, that DON'T cover punctures, but you got to have it, "would you like an upgrade Sir ?" "will it cover punctures then ?" err err err "No" :wtf:

Paul141
:beer:

A

Anonymous

By way of clarification because the RCZ is equipped with an Emergency Tyre Kit rather than a Full Size or Space Saver Spare Wheel the first year of ownership Recovery Assistance includes a situation where the nature of the puncture or damage to the tyre or wheel is such that the kit is inadequate. The AA who are our Recovery Assistance Provider have instructions to respond to, assist with repair and recover if necessary any RCZ in such circumstances without charge. Extended cover can be purchased beyond the first year of ownership.
In terms of a solution to those owners wishing to carry a spare wheel, we are currently in the process of finalising some alternatives which we hope to announce soon.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the clarification, that is not what I was lead to believe by the paper work I was shown, they will recover you to the nearest garage, but in the middle of the night how helpful is that ?

Let me know when you get something sorted, as I have spoke to two tyre fitters now who both say the stuff in the boot ruins the tyre and no puncture repair is possible because the oil based fluid stops the patches and plugs from sticking correctly.

Paul141

A

Anonymous

Have a look at Newbies and then "a new lady in my life" and you will see what i have done for a spacesaver?

Pic below

This fits perfect in the hole with no deflation and the jack housing is flush with boot floor so supports the boot covering.With regards wheel circumference they say the wheel/tyre fitted should be within 2 1/2% of the wheel/tyre you are taking off.
Various websites give these measurements if you put the tyre size in for instance the 19" is 671mm overall diameter.
Cost to get the wheel and jack £90 and a little researching and messing about but well worth it.

Attachments

• P9020069.JPG
    P9020069.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 10,074
A

Anonymous

Peugeot Group said:
In terms of a solution to those owners wishing to carry a spare wheel, we are currently in the process of finalising some alternatives which we hope to announce soon.

Hurrah for Peugeot Group! Please make an announcement here on this forum :dance: