What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Spare wheel - Solutions available

A

Anonymous

RCZoom: If I find some kind of deal I'll be sure to see if there is an extra for other RCZ owners :)

A

Anonymous

RCZoom: If I find some kind of deal I'll be sure to see if there is an extra for other RCZ owners

Thanks Glenn.

All help appreciated :beer:

Cheers

RCZoom

A

Anonymous

RCZooM said:
good luck with your negotiation with your dealer. On reflection a note of caution re the jack etc. I had assumed that they came with the car because the dealer only made a fuss of telling me about the spare he had found. It may be that he also threw in the jack and wheel brace though. You may want to check what the car comes with. I now get the impression from other posts on here that I've re-read that the jack maybe doesn't come with the car.

Hi aussiercz

How is your baby going now that you've had it a couple of weeks.

You were correct - the jack isn't supplied in Australia. I'd also noticed that European versions didn't have the jack but as the Australian models seem to have different options I wondered (after seeing your message) if the jack was one of them.

Unfortunately I also had no luck with my negotiations. Any spare that I get, I will need to pay for - even for a space saver option. They indicated a cost for an original RCZ Alloy would be over $900. They suggested I wait until after delivery and they will give me a discount card for use with purchases made through their Spare Parts department.

Once I take delivery, I'm going to visit the local wreckers and see what I can find in the way of wheels and jacks for Peugeots.

RCZoom
Hi RCZoom Car's going fantastic> I just love it. It's disappointing to hear that your dealer isn't being very generous. I have nothing but praise for Allpike Peugeot in Perth - maybe it was because I was one of the first orders.

A

Anonymous

It seems to me that the cheapest & most convenient option is the space saver spare from a 2008 407, ok so you may have to swap a wheel from the back then use the space saver, i would rather do that, than spend close to £600 on a matching alloy and tyre. to swap each wheel around will probably take a further 10 mins, so what !!!

BUT PEUGOT REALLY SHOULD ADDRESS THIS ISSUE !!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Why not just buy the complete 407 space saver rim and tyre from Peugot ? It has got to be cheaper than an alloy and will do the same job.

A

Anonymous

I was reading the RCZ manual last night and noticed that after using the inflation kit your speed is limited to 50 MPH (80 KPH) anyway so there's no advantage to including the inflation kit at all - apart from a cost saving for Peugeot.

Still waiting on a price for the space saver option from my dealer.

A

Anonymous

use the inflation kit after a puncture, then a new tyre is required and they are not cheap.

A

Anonymous

Someone mentioned on here that the latest material used in the inflation kit doesn't damage the tyre or the valve and the tyre can be repaired afterwards. Still there are punctures you can't repair with the inflation kit and with the long distances between towns in rural Australia (you can fit several small European countries into one state here) I don't believe anyone can afford to travel without a spare wheel.

Ive forwarded the details of the 407 spare option to my dealer in case others are in the same position.

A

Anonymous

RCZooM said:
Someone mentioned on here that the latest material used in the inflation kit doesn't damage the tyre or the valve and the tyre can be repaired afterwards. Still there are punctures you can't repair with the inflation kit and with the long distances between towns in rural Australia (you can fit several small European countries into one state here) I don't believe anyone can afford to travel without a spare wheel.

Ive forwarded the details of the 407 spare option to my dealer in case others are in the same position.
'
RCZoom have you tried ringing Allpike Peugeot to see what they can do for you? If you get a good deal out of them for an 18inch rim and tyre (fits the boot well perfectly) the freight to get it across the country from Perth may not be too much. Sounds crazy I know but stranger things have fallen into place.

A

Anonymous

Thanks aussiercz

I've already place an order for the space saver and tyre from my dealer so I'll stick with that I think. I did do some pricing and you got a great deal from your dealer cos an alloy and tyre are worth many hundreds of dollars. There are no 407 space savers in Australia so my dealer has had to order one in for me. I tried all the second hand parts places and wreckers around the country and there were no 407 wheels of any kind.

I should have my RCZ before Easter and I'm planning a week away for the Easter break. I don't want to travel without a spare so I couldnt afford to wait any longer in the hope something came along in time.

A

Anonymous

RCZooM said:
Thanks aussiercz

I've already place an order for the space saver and tyre from my dealer so I'll stick with that I think. I did do some pricing and you got a great deal from your dealer cos an alloy and tyre are worth many hundreds of dollars. There are no 407 space savers in Australia so my dealer has had to order one in for me. I tried all the second hand parts places and wreckers around the country and there were no 407 wheels of any kind.

I should have my RCZ before Easter and I'm planning a week away for the Easter break. I don't want to travel without a spare so I couldnt afford to wait any longer in the hope something came along in time.

RCZooM I've noticed that you've ordered a Mercury Grey. I have a bad memory but I would have remembered if you'd done that. I checked your original post in November and you had ordered black. Did you change your order? if so I reckon you've done the right thing. I have a Mercury and am in love with it. The best colour (although as we all say, they all look nice)

A

Anonymous

Yes I changed my order - but my original order was Pearl White (I'm not a fan of black cos it's too hard to maintain). I did post the reasons for the change somewhere on here.

Basically, when I checked with my dealer for an update in early March they told me the car was delayed till June (from April). Turns out the sales person gave me the wrong information and the delivery was never going to be April. Since my current lease expires in April, a June delivery wasn't an option so I got the dealer to look for unallocated cars in the system. Mercury Grey was my original choice (before I changed to White) and they found one that was a Feb 2011 build that was already on the boat for Aus and due for delivery early April. It has extra features that I had regretted not ordering in my previous order so I grabbed it. I ended up getting a better quote the second time around and when I went to the leasing company for a new lease the interest rate had dropped 0.5% as well so I won on all fronts :thumbup:

After originally lusting after the Mercury Grey then changing to Pearl White for the order, I spent some time wondering if I'd made the right decision colour-wise, so now I feel better all round over the new deal :thumbup:

Cheers

RCZooM

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

i am a newbie i have just purchased a new RCZ GT HDI, i went into my local dealers last wednesday and saw this car which i thought was very nice and done the deal, i got my new car on friday last 26th and have now got 74 mile on it.

for the mo i am very impressed and look forward to more miles the same, i have read the issue ref the spare wheel situ and think that the only way out is to purchase another wheel same as on the car, i could speak to the dealer to see if they will supply one at a reduced cost and i could purchase the tyre, could do this when i get to 1k miles and car is in for check over.

anyone's views on any other suggestions let me know until then cheers.

regards
to all
Allen From Northern ireland

A

Anonymous

hi and welcome, theres lots of tips on a pevious thread re spare wheel info. i personaly went for the low cost option a 407 spacesaver-all info on thread or new alloy to match apr £600 . enjoy the motor,nice colour-dont forget some pics.

A

Anonymous

allen said:
Hi All,

i am a newbie i have just purchased a new RCZ GT HDI, i went into my local dealers last wednesday and saw this car which i thought was very nice and done the deal, i got my new car on friday last 26th and have now got 74 mile on it.

for the mo i am very impressed and look forward to more miles the same, i have read the issue ref the spare wheel situ and think that the only way out is to purchase another wheel same as on the car, i could speak to the dealer to see if they will supply one at a reduced cost and i could purchase the tyre, could do this when i get to 1k miles and car is in for check over.

regards
to all
Hi Allen and welcome to the forum :wave: . There are lots of replies regarding the spare wheel so I'm not going near that one but just wanted to greet another person from Norn Iron to the forum. There are about 6 or 7 of us now so some time we must arrange a mini-meet :thumbup: .

Many safe and happy miles in your new baby and don't forget we always love looking at other people's pics of their pride and joy :dance:

Lorraine

A

Anonymous

allen said:
i have read the issue ref the spare wheel situ and think that the only way out is to purchase another wheel same as on the car, i could speak to the dealer to see if they will supply one at a reduced cost and i could purchase the tyre, could do this when i get to 1k miles and car is in for check over.

regards
to all
Hi Allen. Welcome to the forum.

One of the issues with sourcing a spare wheel is to find one that fits into the wheel well in the boot. A standard 19 inch alloy with tyre is too big and I think an 18 inch alloy can be made to fit the wheel well by deflating the tyre slightly. The 407 space saver appears to be the cheapest option for most and it fits nicely into the wheel well. Of course the downside of the space saver is the 80km/50mph speed limit.

A

Anonymous

Hi all

Reading all the posts on here about different ways to solve this spare wheel problem some how I have lost the plot, With 17",18" and 19" wheels.

I have 19" wheels fitted so in simple terms can someone explain to me what my options are. I would prefer for the spare wheel to fit into the orginal spare wheel well.

A

Anonymous

Hi race0360

My previous post pretty much explains it.

The limitations on the spare wheel are all due to the size of the wheel well.

If you have 19" alloys then the ideal spare would be a standard RCZ 19" alloy. Apart from being the most expensive option, a standard 19" alloy with tyre is too big for the wheel well. If you don't use the boot space much then the extra lump may not worry you. However if you deflate the tyre it apparently does fit. That means if you get a flat, you'll need to re-inflate the tyre using the inflation kit or a manual pump before you use it.

An 18" alloy may fit the wheel well depending on the tyre fitted. Someone on here said the diameter of an 18" continental tyre is only 2 mm smaller than the 19" so its still a tight fit. aussiercz on this forum has an 18" (non RCZ) alloy with a different brand of tyre and it does fit very snugly into the wheel well. You should try before you buy. I'm not sure if there would be any speed limit issues when using an 18" alloy although the tyres are slightly different diameters.

The 407 space saver is the cheapest option and it easily fits into the wheel well. However there are two down-sides to the space saver. It only fits the rear wheels (due to the size of the front brake calipers) so if you get a flat on the front you need to put the space saver on the back and transfer that good alloy to the front. You will also be limited to 50MPH/80KPH due to the smaller size of the wheel. However, if you opted to use the supplied inflation kit rather than have a space saver you are similarly speed limited.

My RCZ has 19" wheels and Ive opted for the 407 space saver based on cost and the hope that it will be rarely (if ever) needed. I'm also going to carry some tyre plugs. If I'm in the city I'll use the space saver but if I'm 100's of Km from home I'll try to plug it myself rather than limping home at 80 kph.

RCZooM

A

Anonymous

RCZooM, I've also choose to go for a spare wheel. The dealer delivers my sharky with a 17 inch 5401.R4 wheel and 135/80 R17 tire around it (it cost me around EUR 160,00). I have no trust in the inflation kit nor myself using it (and I'm clumbsey enough to destroy my tire and wheel if I use it), unless I'm desperate. I too think a flat tire is rare and when it happens I'd rather change for the spare to come on and able me to drive to the nearest dealer of tirecentre or home (whatever is closeby).

A

Anonymous

Hi RCZoom

Thanks for the info alot clearer now its in one place. Spoke to my dealer today they also show a concern with the RCZ having no space saver wheel.

They are contacting Peugoet Uk technical dept to see if they can advise on any thing.

I have one concern with the DIY space saver. The tyre which fits on the 407 rim, the spec on this tyre is it designed to with stand the weight and the cornering stresses of an RCZ even if fitted on the rear?