What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Spare wheel - Solutions available

A

Anonymous

Hi race0360

I ordered the tyre recommended in the forum - 135/80 x 17m Continental which I believe is the normal 407 rim/tyre combination. The 407 is 300 kg heavier than the RCZ so I doubt weight will be an issue. If you push it into corners like the original alloy don't expect it to handle as well but I cant see it damaging the tyre. The space saver is speed limited to 50 mph/80 kph (because of its different size) so it should handle normal driving within that speed range.

Joske

Reaction score
Sint-Huibrechts-Hern - Limburg - Flanders
race0360 said:
I have one concern with the DIY space saver. The tyre which fits on the 407 rim, the spec on this tyre is it designed to with stand the weight and the cornering stresses of an RCZ even if fitted on the rear?

A 407 weights more then a RCZ I think, so that is not an issue.

And cornering stress??? On a such a space saving bycicle wheel I think it's not recomended to corner at "high" speed. The max speed with such a spare wheel is limited to 80km/h. It's designed just like the repairset to go to the tireshop or dealer as soon as possible. Don't drive it around for days.

I want such a space saver 407 as well, but I think I'm gonna wait a while. Peugeot Assistance is there to help out. So why not use it?

I used such a tire repair thingy on my motorcycle once. Never again, it's a real mess to clean off the wheel when fitting a new tire.

GT RCZ

Reaction score
Caution

If you read the small print Peugeot assistance does not cover punctures.

A

Anonymous

I can vouch that a 19" alloy with normal tyre fits in the well when slightly deflated - plenty of room for jack and tools too. Managed to get a second hand 19" black onyx solstice alloy from ebay - slightly damaged but well worth it. only £70 plus a tyre for ~ £100 from:

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/ac ... 9-98-y-xl/

Might be worth asking for alloys from written off rcz's... get them checked obviously by a trusted garage before you use them tho.

A

Anonymous

ajuice99 said:
I can vouch that a 19" alloy with normal tyre fits in the well when slightly deflated - plenty of room for jack and tools too. Managed to get a second hand 19" black onyx solstice alloy from ebay - slightly damaged but well worth it. only £70 plus a tyre for ~ £100 from:

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/ac ... 9-98-y-xl/

Might be worth asking for alloys from written off rcz's... get them checked obviously by a trusted garage before you use them tho.

Links to the wrong size tyre ?????

RCZ tyres are 235/40/19

A

Anonymous

indeed... my bad = was rushing when i wrote the post. sorry.

A

Anonymous

GT RCZ said:
Caution

If you read the small print Peugeot assistance does not cover punctures.

Having had the misfortune to damage a front tyre one night (way beyond the capabilities of the repair kit to cope with) in December, I called up Peugeot Assist to take me home, then from home to the local dealer the following day to get the tyre swapped. No problem with them at all over this, I was up front with that fact it was a flat as well. Wasted a few hours though, so I'd get some sort of spare to save the pain.

One thing though, even with a tyre that was very flat my "Tyre Pressure Sensing" system still showed all the tyres were ok (yes, I do have the Vision Pack installed). Go figure.

A

Anonymous

I've been thinking about fitting a Spare, as a result of reading the long list of Pros & Cons ref the wheel type and tyre sizes, but I have now realised that my wifes Pug 207SW (2010 model), doesnt have a spare fitted. We have travelled over 10k in this car without any thought of what to do if we should get a puncture. All of a sudden I dont think my problem , (issue) is so important. May sound a bit 'Head in the sand', but I think I'll chance it. Hey Ho, lifes a bitch.

A

Anonymous

MEvans said:
I've been thinking about fitting a Spare, as a result of reading the long list of Pros & Cons ref the wheel type and tyre sizes, but I have now realised that my wifes Pug 207SW (2010 model), doesnt have a spare fitted. We have travelled over 10k in this car without any thought of what to do if we should get a puncture. All of a sudden I dont think my problem , (issue) is so important. May sound a bit 'Head in the sand', but I think I'll cahnce it. Hey Ho, lifes a bitch.
This approach cost me in excess of £500. Tail lifted off motorway. Then a new tyre, cos once that gunk is used the tyre is kaput. This was on a previous car. Still not come to a solution as to what to do about it with the RCZ

A

Anonymous

When I picked mine up from the dealer, I asked him the question about the spare/gunk/knackered tyre/once used issue and he assured me that the gunk was a newer type than the "old type which used to render the tyres useless" and added "just bring it back to us and well clean it out and repair it for you"
Of course it's easy to say that and maybe quite another thing to do it. Just wondering whether the assumption that it destroys the tyre is true ??

RCZ1

Reaction score
The old gunk did destroy the tryre but from what I understand if you use the new gunk the tyre can be repaired, obviously it something's gone through the tyre wall and made unrepairable, that's a different matter.

A

Anonymous

any gunk can be removed ! but the big problem here is time which equals money and most outfits wont repair because of the time to prepare the tyre to which the customer does not want to pay the labour charge

A

Anonymous

Interesting discussion. I have never had a flat in 25 years of driving!! None of my last dozen cars have had a spare wheel either!

I have AA membership and think it is enough risk mitigation on top of the gunk and compressor to not be bothered about the slim chance of a flat.

I am curious to understand why others see it as such an important thing?

A

Anonymous

mr shiney said:
Interesting discussion. I am curious to understand why others see it as such an important thing?
Well for one reason unlike your good self, I did get a puncture on the M1. The cost of being towed off and to replace the tyre (that had been unsuccessfully gunked) was in excess of £500. An expensive Puncture! A spare wheel would have reduced the price of that puncture down to tens of pounds instead.

A

Anonymous

Do you not have AA membership? I have my own cover as well as the cover that came with the car. With that there is nothing to pay in the event of a recovery. The AA will take me home and drop the car off for repairs should I need it.

I always viewed it as a better option. The cost of replacing the tyre is a separate discussion as if its knackered it will need replacing regardless of having a spare wheel?

Not a criticism of anyones choice, I am just curious about individual approaches to a potential issue.

A

Anonymous

when i have had slow punctuers before and called to get them fixed the shop may be busy and so asks you to leave the wheel with them and collect later which i have done !! not an option if you have no spare so makes things more inconvenient and again if the tyre has a blow out if you have a spare you can carry on with your day not possible without one !! thats why i carry one because time is money in this world