What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Spare wheel - Solutions available

Tomas_90

Reaction score
OO58RON said:
Tomas_90 said:
On the subject of tires.... Will four 19" stock tires fit in the car just for transporting purposes? If you cram them in wherever you can.
Yes. I fitted all four 19" tyres into mine. Method. Empty boot completely, Store one tyre in the well beneath the boot carpet, Slide passenger seat forward and lower rear seat back, slide a tyre through the boot opening into the space created by moving passenger seat forward and the other two will slide easily into the boot space. Wouldn't be ideal for a long journey as the passenger seat impedes your view of the door mirror.
I see, thanks :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I was fortunate to have a second vehicle to originally pick up the wheels, then fitted them myself when weather changed. Only went back after fitting them to the RCZ when found the steering vibration and they rectified it there and then.
It will probably take some juggling and a couple of large sheets to protect your seats, 1 in boot and (or 1 in spare wheel well), 2 on back seat and 1 on front passenger seat! depends how far you live, who ever fits them may drop them off home for you! Atomic do have wheel storage and a van! :thumbup:

Tomas_90

Reaction score
dickie said:
I was fortunate to have a second vehicle to originally pick up the wheels, then fitted them myself when weather changed. Only went back after fitting them to the RCZ when found the steering vibration and they rectified it there and then.
It will probably take some juggling and a couple of large sheets to protect your seats, 1 in boot and (or 1 in spare wheel well), 2 on back seat and 1 on front passenger seat! depends how far you live, who ever fits them may drop them off home for you! Atomic do have wheel storage and a van! :thumbup:
I was more thinking in the lines of buying the actual car and getting the tires home with me. But since it obviously can be done, it's great info :D

A

Anonymous

I've read these posts with great interest. Clearly people have done a lot of research. Looks like I'm going to pushed down the priciest road - it's fine at home (in Northern Ireland) where you can call the AA if you can't sort the repair thing yourself (I couldn't - not a clue) and can get to a Peugeot garage for a proper replacement. I can follow Peugeot's reasoning. But we spend a lot of time in rural France, and the thought of trying to sort all that out there is not a happy thought. We could be stuck - anywhere - without a car for days. Going to have to bite the bullet and buy a wheel/tyre and stick it in the boot. It will not be a cheap fix - will keep you posted about what we end up paying. As very loyal Peugeot customers I hope we'll at least get the 'family and friends' discount.

A

Anonymous

Oakville said:
I've read these posts with great interest. Clearly people have done a lot of research. Looks like I'm going to pushed down the priciest road - it's fine at home (in Northern Ireland) where you can call the AA if you can't sort the repair thing yourself (I couldn't - not a clue) and can get to a Peugeot garage for a proper replacement. I can follow Peugeot's reasoning. But we spend a lot of time in rural France, and the thought of trying to sort all that out there is not a happy thought. We could be stuck - anywhere - without a car for days. Going to have to bite the bullet and buy a wheel/tyre and stick it in the boot. It will not be a cheap fix - will keep you posted about what we end up paying. As very loyal Peugeot customers I hope we'll at least get the 'family and friends' discount.
You get what ya pay for. The option that you choose is based upon the importance that you place on a spare wheel. Peace of mind for me is everything hence I got the full size wheel, trolley jack, torque wrench socket and wrench. Not a cheap option, but covers all the angles and gives peace of mind. Downside, all that weight in the boot has reduced my MPG figures

A

Anonymous

I bought a refurbed alloy (£127 from eBay - bargain in my opinion, same seller is still selling the sortliege ones now) and a cheap tyre (£102). I don't drive the car during the week but I will normally do a long trip every other weekend to see friends and family so peace of mind that I would be able to get back home easily and quickly is the reason I went for the full size.

Just managed about an hour ago to get round to putting in the boot. Had to let air out of the tyre but the 19" with tyre did fit into the spare wheel space well. Does push the boot carpet up slightly but the mrs didn't notice anything was different. A picture can tell a thousand words and all that...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 11,616
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 11,616
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 11,616
A

Anonymous

I have levelled the carpet by use of a couple of hard foam spacers. Problem solved :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Just a heads up, if you keep checking ebay from time to time you can pick up a spare original alloy cheap.

just got my onyx Black SORTILEGE ( REFURBISHED BACK TO FACTORY STANDARDS ) for £150
which is immaculate.
Then regarding the Wheel/Tyre fitting into the boot issue. i bought a nearly new yokohama 235/35/19 advan sport Tyre With 7.5mm of tread for just £55 and by going down to 235/35/19 Tyre profile instead of 235/40/19 Tyre profile. It fits into the boot well without having to deflate.

Already had a spare jack and wheel brace so came to £225 all in with shipping. :clap:

A

Anonymous

Sounds like the same seller I bought mine from - Castleford Peugeot? Absolute bargains if you are looking for a spare.

A

Anonymous

Yeah dand87, it was from Castleford Peugeot...

it was actually your post above that made me look into it further. Originally was going to go down the spacesaver route like others mentioned because i wasn't really prepared to pay £500+ for a original spare
but £225 is a steel.

so props buddy.

A

Anonymous

Joske said:
I just discovered that the new Peugeot 508 in some specs comes with a 18" spacesaver.

I will check it out with my dealer next week but the ordernr should be 5401 V5 and 5400 V0 (tire).

Great find!! Only problem the 5400 V0 tyre is a 135/80-18 which is already bigger in diameter than the original full size 19s and members here are saying an inflated 19s doesn't fit in the spare wheel space in the boot.

A

Anonymous

RCZ-THP200 said:
Joske said:
I just discovered that the new Peugeot 508 in some specs comes with a 18" spacesaver.

I will check it out with my dealer next week but the ordernr should be 5401 V5 and 5400 V0 (tire).

Great find!! Only problem the 5400 V0 tyre is a 135/80-18 which is already bigger in diameter than the original full size 19s and members here are saying an inflated 19s doesn't fit in the spare wheel space in the boot.
It will if it is slightly deflated, which is not a problem as we have a compressor supplied with the car. If you're going to have a spare why not one that is the correct size? It allows you to change the wheel and carry on your journey as normal rather than reduced speeds, it also gives you the time to get your punctured one repaired or replaced at leisure

A

Anonymous

So to recap the 7 pages here are the solutions available:

1- use an original 19" standard wheel and tyre deflating required
2- use an original 18" standard wheel and tyre no deflating required
- if cost is an issue use a cheap aftermarket 18" wheel with less tyre width like 205/50-18 or 215/45-18
3- use 18" space saver wheel from Peugeot 508 deflating required (unless lower profile tyre is found)
4- use 17" space saver from Peugeot 407 no deflating required but will only fit rear wheels
5- use Jaguar 18" space saver modification of wheel center bore required

A

Anonymous

Re: Spare wheel - Solutions availableWheel Positioning Post

What a great service. I sent an Email today to my main dealer to ask if they had or could get a couple of Wheel Positioning Posts for me. They replied within the hour to say.............

"Hi the posts are available from Peugeot (671709) at £7.78 each inc Vat. Normally 2 working days to order in."

So for anybody unfamiliar as to what these are, they are posts that you screw into the hole once you have removed a wheel bolt. It has two functions, it allows you to remove the wheel without it dropping onto your brake disc and potentially marking your alloy and secondly is used to guide the wheel back on so the the holes line up correctly. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I am not sure if this is already known but i just discovered that the front discs of the THP156 engine is smaller than the front discs of the THP200 engine, so I guess the 17" space saver will fit the rear and front of THP156 cars.

THP200 front disc 340 mm - THP156 front disc 302 mm

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
What a great service. I sent an Email today to my main dealer to ask if they had or could get a couple of Wheel Positioning Posts for me. They replied within the hour to say.............

"Hi the posts are available from Peugeot (671709) at £7.78 each inc Vat. Normally 2 working days to order in."

So for anybody unfamiliar as to what these are, they are posts that you screw into the hole once you have removed a wheel bolt. It has two functions, it allows you to remove the wheel without it dropping onto your brake disc and potentially marking your alloy and secondly is used to guide the wheel back on so the the holes line up correctly. :thumbup:

Found one of these on Ebay for the same cost. Makes wheel changes much easier, as the 19's are quite heavy to juggle !
Just like the old days with studs.

Cheers,
Mike.

A

Anonymous

RCZ-THP200 said:

- if cost is an issue use a cheap aftermarket 18" wheel with less tyre width like 205/50-18 or 215/45-18
3- use 18" space saver wheel from Peugeot 508 deflating required (unless lower profile tyre is found)
4- use 17" space saver from Peugeot 407 no deflating required but will only fit rear wheels

5- use Jaguar 18" space saver modification of wheel center bore required[/quote]
I have a already prepared Jag spacesaver for sale and tool kit if interested?

A

Anonymous

RCZ-THP200 said:

All of the above. :thumbup:

I use option 1 without any probs what so ever, (tyre only needs slight deflation) :thumbup:

Do consider covering the spare wheel and tyre with something though, as I've noticed, and I believe other's have too, that there's some condensation in the tyre well since putting the spare wheel in the tyre well. However, since covering with a cotton sheet or something simular all is ok. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

RCZ-THP200 said:
I am not sure if this is already known but i just discovered that the front discs of the THP156 engine is smaller than the front discs of the THP200 engine, so I guess the 17" space saver will fit the rear and front of THP156 cars.

Has anyone checked this out yet - i.e. will a 17" space saver (ex 407) fit the front of the THP 156 due to smaller discs?

Also, there is a note earlier in this thread from 'Peugeot' (posting in 2011) re they were looking at an official spare wheel option. Does anyone know if they have progressed this - i.e. can you buy an official space saver for the RCZ?

Many thanks in anticipation.

A

Anonymous

RCZNI said:
RCZ-THP200 said:

Has anyone checked this out yet - i.e. will a 17" space saver (ex 407) fit the front of the THP 156 due to smaller discs?

Also, there is a note earlier in this thread from 'Peugeot' (posting in 2011) re they were looking at an official spare wheel option. Does anyone know if they have progressed this - i.e. can you buy an official space saver for the RCZ?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Yes they did. However it was a full sized original one that they did. This is the literature that they produced about 2 years ago.