What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Spare wheel - Solutions available

FGRob

Reaction score
bee said:
does anyone know if a 18inch standard alloy will fit the boot well
You are in the same situation as the 19" as the diameter is almost the same - the tyre that is. So yes if you let the air out.

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Just saw this on e bay ...............quick its a bargain for someone !!!
item number 220712124313
The winner owes me a pint for a finders fee

A

Anonymous

yep its been on a while now but theres damage to the wheel, it may be ok.ive gone the spacesaver option,cheaper.

A

Anonymous

bee said:

HI Bee, an 18 inch wheel does fit very nicely.

Picked my new RCZ up on Tuesday (has 19 inch wheels)and I had demanded that the dealer find some sort of temporary spare. Well, he supplied me with an alloy wheel with an 235x45x18 Pirelli tyre on it and it fits perfectly (inflated) in the boot well. Wedges in nice and tight - no movement whatsover possible. I'm still deciding whether to leave it in the boot all the time or only put it in when off for a drive in the country.

FGRob

Reaction score
aussiercz said:
bee said:

Picked my new RCZ up on Tuesday (has 19 inch wheels)and I had demanded that the dealer find some sort of temporary spare. Well, he supplied me with an alloy wheel with an 235x45x18 Pirelli tyre on it and it fits perfectly (inflated) in the boot well. Wedges in nice and tight - no movement whatsover possible. I'm still deciding whether to leave it in the boot all the time or only put it in when off for a drive in the country.
That's interesting, the difference in diameter between your 18" and the standard 19", is the 19" is 2mm bigger overall, so that would explain why a deflated 19" would fit as well - that's pretty dam tight.

Heres a site which will calculate it for you. http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalcul ... ion=submit

Rob

A

Anonymous

aussiecrz personaly i would leave the wheel in the boot, what if you got a puncture just going to the supermarket. dont think you would be too happy if it was still in your garage

A

Anonymous

Hi aussiercz

Do you mind me asking how much that option was? My dealer refuses to recommend anything as a spare because last time they did they got bitten by an unsatisfied customer. I'm having 18" wheels fitted as standard so if a standard 18" fits the wheel well I'm very interested in the cost (with jack). I have a space saver on my current Holden Calais and Ive been forced to use it and its a pain having to drive at 80 kph for 150 kms because no-one could plug my tyre on a Sunday afternoon.

Also does it sit flat in the boot or does it sit high and form a lump under the boot floor mat?

Cheers
RCZooM

A

Anonymous

personaly i have ordered a peugeot 407 spacesaver for a spare for rear of rcz, as mentioned on an ealier thread,great idea.
the wheel costs about £50 from peugeot and the tyre £62.94 gives peace of mind. tyres are 135/80 X 17 and are scarce are available on line
at- allnewtyres.co.uk fits in well fully inflated and very cost effective. nail punctured tyres can be repaired very cheaply at a tyre centre.

A

Anonymous

RCZooM said:

Hi aussiercz

Do you mind me asking how much that option was? My dealer refuses to recommend anything as a spare because last time they did they got bitten by an unsatisfied customer. I'm having 18" wheels fitted as standard so if a standard 18" fits the wheel well I'm very interested in the cost (with jack). I have a space saver on my current Holden Calais and Ive been forced to use it and its a pain having to drive at 80 kph for 150 kms because no-one could plug my tyre on a Sunday afternoon.

Also does it sit flat in the boot or does it sit high and form a lump under the boot floor mat?

Cheers
RCZooM

RCZoom, the dealer threw it in for nothing. Have nothing but praise for them Howard Heerey at Allpike Peugeot, Excellent service. The jack and wheel brace comes standard with the car which is a bit odd given there is no spare. Not sure what you're expected to use the jack for ordinarily!! The spare that I have been given fits either way up in the well with no bump in the boot floor mat. Its perfect. All you have to do then is take the tools (compressor, jack etc) out of the styrofoam box they come in and find a nice secure wayto stow them under or in the spare wheel (depending on which way you have it up)

A

Anonymous

Thanks aussiercz.

Ive sent my dealer an email asking them to comment or quote on an 18" alloy for the spare. Once I have an answer I'll negotiate from there.

A

Anonymous

Hi RCZoom, good luck with your negotiation with your dealer. On reflection a note of caution re the jack etc. I had assumed that they came with the car because the dealer only made a fuss of telling me about the spare he had found. It may be that he also threw in the jack and wheel brace though. You may want to check what the car comes with. I now get the impression from other posts on here that I've re-read that the jack maybe doesn't come with the car.

A

Anonymous

Is there a reason why people aren't using tyre plug kits? Providing it is a puncture (not a tear) in the meat of the tyre, and not on the sidewall, they are pretty easy to use. http://www.kenma.com.au/tyre_repair.html as one example.

I'm not excited about the lack of a spare (and will look at options intently) but the tyre plug kits are small and seeing as you have the compressor on board you don't even need to use the CO2 canisters.

I've got one for my motorbike and used it to plug a puncture on my Subaru Outback, been gold ever since.

A

Anonymous

yep thats another option if you can locate the puncture position. after use of co2 cannister the tyre cannot be repaired at a tyre dealer. so my spacesaver cover all eventualities.

A

Anonymous

done same as GTRCZ fitted spacesaver in boot with plenty space for tools

A

Anonymous

Is there a reason why people aren't using tyre plug kits? Providing it is a puncture (not a tear) in the meat of the tyre, and not on the sidewall, they are pretty easy to use. http://www.kenma.com.au/tyre_repair.html as one example.

I'm not excited about the lack of a spare (and will look at options intently) but the tyre plug kits are small and seeing as you have the compressor on board you don't even need to use the CO2 canisters.

I've got one for my motorbike and used it to plug a puncture on my Subaru Outback, been gold ever since.

Good idea Glenn. In fact I didn't even know you could buy your own self-plug kit. Up till 4 years ago punctures were a rare thing for me. Then I bought my current Calais V and since then I've had 5 punctures (the last one just 2 weeks ago). In all cases I blame the dealership because EVERY one has followed a service at the local dealer. My first one was just 3 days after delivery and the most recent one was 2 weeks after a service. In all cases the cause was a similar type of machine screw through the flat centre of the tyre and while one tyre completely deflated (on a freeway resulting in a brand new tyre being destroyed) the others resulted in slow leaks which I had plugged. Needless to say, my recent experience with punctures has made me wary of driving without a spare especially as I often spend weekends in rural NSW and Victoria.

I think I might buy one of those plug kits as a backup because although the space saver will get me home when I'm in the city, Ive been stuck at 80kph on a space saver while on holiday and with the distances we have here in Aus, it's a frustrating experience.

RCZooM

A

Anonymous

David CK paid £625 for a new one , my brand new unused 19" black onyx Soltice with continental tyre is a steal at £300.

A

Anonymous

How did you come by the Soltice and tyre for £300.00???

xtof73

Reaction score
Your solution is great, GT RCZ
I'm going to think about it ... have to check if regulation, insurance allow this in France (and Peugeot)

A

Anonymous

good luck with your negotiation with your dealer. On reflection a note of caution re the jack etc. I had assumed that they came with the car because the dealer only made a fuss of telling me about the spare he had found. It may be that he also threw in the jack and wheel brace though. You may want to check what the car comes with. I now get the impression from other posts on here that I've re-read that the jack maybe doesn't come with the car.

Hi aussiercz

How is your baby going now that you've had it a couple of weeks.

You were correct - the jack isn't supplied in Australia. I'd also noticed that European versions didn't have the jack but as the Australian models seem to have different options I wondered (after seeing your message) if the jack was one of them.

Unfortunately I also had no luck with my negotiations. Any spare that I get, I will need to pay for - even for a space saver option. They indicated a cost for an original RCZ Alloy would be over $900. They suggested I wait until after delivery and they will give me a discount card for use with purchases made through their Spare Parts department.

Once I take delivery, I'm going to visit the local wreckers and see what I can find in the way of wheels and jacks for Peugeots.

RCZoom