What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

R wanted

Kerr

Reaction score
Thanks, brand new engine?

…just to confirm, I’m looking at the 16k one in Chiswick? Is that the one you mean?

Punch in the registration plate in on Cazana and you'll see the advert.

It was a private sale on Gumtree.

Kerr

Reaction score
Tried cazana but it only shows the current ad on autotrader?

Conveniently removed.

I checked the car yesterday and it was there. It's gone for me now too.

coldel

Reaction score
Ah ok, good catch thank you. I will see what mr dealer says and if he gives up that piece of info voluntarily....

Pedro

Reaction score
If they blew the Engine its had hard life a new unit can hover around £10.000 to 14.000 so its possibly a recon so is their a mileage warranty included ?

coldel

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro, I am going to take a look as not many go up for sale so local (its like 10 mins away) I am going to see how honest the dealer is in volunteering information about its history. Will be good to see one in the metal for the first time.

Kerr

Reaction score
If they blew the Engine its had hard life a new unit can hover around £10.000 to 14.000 so its possibly a recon so is their a mileage warranty included ?

It's a Peugeot main dealer that has the car. I'd be expecting an AUC warranty with the car.

The source of the engine would be my concern. A brand new engine from Peugeot could be a positive. An unknown engine from a donor car would be of concern.

Since it looks as if the dealer has asked Cazana to remove the previous advert it's a question to be asked.

coldel

Reaction score
Went and saw it…

Engine replaced at Peugeot under warranty Oct 2020 due to white smoke that couldn’t be rectified. I saw when inspecting the engine bay how shiny it looked and called it out and the sales guy checked the history. Cost was £6k new engine install.

Went for a test drive:

Car drove nice, no knocks or noises rear tyres were bald all tyres were budgets. Rear pads were TWS branded. So looks like maintenance has been done cheap. Apparently previous owner was a woman who serviced it with them. I stupidly didn’t check the positions of the steering wheel, quick question does it move forwards and backwards?

I do need to move my brain on from the VX as the drive felt pretty sedate and comfortable! It was nice to be in something with comforts!

Apparently two more viewings today

Kerr

Reaction score
Yes the steering wheel moves forwards, backwards, up and down. It's got a good amount of movement.

Last edited:

coldel

Reaction score
Well outcome is - no purchase.

They couldnt supply me with any documentation at all about the engine replacement, no receipt nothing. So I would be buying a car with a different engine and no history to go with it. There was no warranty with the engine only the one year standard Peugeot warranty they give with any car they sell.

No way I want to be left at some point in the future trying to sell a car with a different engine and no paperwork to back it up.

Still, I got to drive one, really liked it, so I know I am looking at the right car to buy next. So not a complete waste of time.

Pedro

Reaction score
Well done you let your brain rule your buying options I always use rule no 1 "If it looks to good to be true it definitely is" as for the Engine replacement if it was done by Peugeot they will have data of when & where it was fitted & by whom but alas all that glitters is not gold as the the white smoke could point to the head gasket blowing due to neglect of service issues & not a complete engine failure thus it would look all nice & shiny on the top end?

coldel

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro, yes £6k seems very cheap for a full engine replacement. They did it there at that dealer, which is the only reason they knew about it. He wouldn't show me the bill just quoted off the screen, I could see the numbers but I couldn't get close enough to see the full work invoice. But yes took a step back and thought 'how will I sell this in future if everyone knows its had a new engine of some sort, but no evidence or invoice to support it' nor would they discuss any engine guarantee. I was a bit disappointed with their attitude to be honest, they seemed happy to just sell it off to anyone that doesn't do their research enough.

Like I say though, I loved the feel of the car. It obviously doesn't get anywhere near the performance or road feel of the VX220 but I get that, most cars don't. I am glad I got in one and drove it. I liked the feeling of the car, it looked gorgeous in white, the A pillars are huge lol but something to get used to. It did get a few glances from people even on the short test drive.

I am now fully convinced I want one, which given it was just 1 hour out of my day to go and view, is a good result.

Flanners

Reaction score
MisterX on here had a new engine at about 160k miles in his R. Robins and Day in Maidstone for about £6k as Peugeot supply like most manufacturers crate recon engines. Was at his expense.

Peugeot do not allow it seems customers to have copies of previous Warranty work if original owner has not kept it or are at the very least unwilling to provide paper proof of it.

All repairs and work carried out on the car by Peugeot can be accessed by any Peugeot Dealer.

Peugeot Warranty is excellent and is renewable each year until the car is 10yrs old at time of renewal or 100k miles so if the car was purchased there would not be an issue whilst under warranty.

The R is not a VX and is not really comparable......

So if they had accepted your low offer you would of had it?

Kerr

Reaction score
I think you're underestimating the performance unless your VX220 was modified. It'll never handle like the VX220, but on the straights the R will beat the VX220 on the move.

I've had the Z20LET in a MK4 Astra GSi Turbo. Mine was tuned and I had it from brand new in 2003.

I find the little 1.6 does somewhat mask the performance. It doesn't feel as fast as some cars than it's quicker than. Some of the lap times are impressive.

The lack of documentation over the engine would be a concern. If they can't prove it was a new engine the doubts will always be there.

If you know it's the car you want, then the wait won't be too long for something to come along.

coldel

Reaction score
I wouldn't have bought it no even if they took the offer. They wanted me to take it without any documentation. They said the previous owner gave them paper copies of everything which they destroyed. He brought up the work invoice on his screen which came to just under 6k but I didnt have time to read it all before he switched it off again, some text at the top said 'white smoke couldn't resolve, strip and rebuild' - when I asked the guy he said they supplied and fitted a new engine, I said was it a recon engine, he said no its new. When I asked if I could have documentation of the work, he declined.

I was not prepared to spend £16k on a car which has had something significant like an engine change, when both the explanation from the dealer was vague and I wouldn't have any documentation of the work. If I tried to sell the car in future privately no one would touch it if I just claimed it had a new Peugeot engine in it but have no documentation.

And yes, totally different to the VX. Mine was a stage 1 turbo and very quick. Not sure an R would take it on the straights or on the move to be honest, I took mine on track with friends and it was keeping up with my mates 718 Cayman S on the straights no problem. The power to weight ratio of a VX vs an Astra is quite different. But I do not expect it to be as quick, what I do expect is something lively, decent handling, a nice sporty driving position, many more comforts, much easier to drive in city traffic (oh the wonder of power steering!) etc which the R delivered in spades. I really liked the gear throw too, shorter throw than the VX which felt agricultural in comparison. The body didnt roll as much as I expected, but even though it was stiff it still dealt with the iffy London roads well. Really liked the exhaust tone too. There was a lot to like about it - as soon as I walked up to it I was blown away by how good it looked.

Its definitely what I want, and yes will wait for the right one.

Kerr

Reaction score
The gearbox is good. We've got a Mini Clubman S with the same engine and the gear change is nothing like each other. Neither is the engine characteristics.

My Astra was phase 4. I was quicker than VX220 turbos by a margin until the corners. 😀 It was my boy racer era and I could beat everything. 😀

There was a German magazine feature that put the R up against the Cayman. I'll need to find that, but the R did surprisingly well.

Did your son fit ok in the back?

coldel

Reaction score
I didn't take my son but checked out how far the seat could go forwards passenger side and there will be enough room for a couple of years for him in the back. The R just ticked so many boxes today, I was so glad I went along and tried it out.

Lady who owned the white one has popped up on FB! Dealer said he destroyed all her paperwork but she said she still has it and is happy to share it! Also her version of the engine costs was slightly different to theirs, she paid out her own pocket, dealership said it was all done on warranty.

I am going to still leave it. Just too many little red flags going up around it. I am sure someone will pick it up, but I will bide my time for the right one.

Kerr

Reaction score
The right one will come along. I do agree there is too many things not sitting right.

The R is a good car to drive. I've switched back to FWD after many years of RWD and four wheel drive. It's different, but once you get in the groove it's good.

It's easier to drive a FWD car fast. I do like the way the R can pull out of corners with the LSD.