What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Spare wheel - Solutions available

A

Anonymous

That's strange, as it's currently in my wheel well

Albeit, slightly deflated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

Yep. They fit. I too have a brand new 19" tyre fitted to a rim in my wheel well.

RCZash

Reaction score
Hi I would be interested in people’s thoughts on the following points.
1 I have always considered it necessary to replace in pairs anything axle related. Springs, dampers, brake pads etc. and tyres which this thread is about. This is why I replaced the two front tyres and used one part worn as my spare. So if in the future I was unfortunate enough to get a puncture I would be replacing like for like
2 Carrying a new tyre as a spare seems an expensive measure and if you get a puncture you will have one part worn and one new tyre on the same axle. Different levels of grip?
3 If you have to partially deflate the new tyre so it fits in the wheel well, will the sidewall be damaged over time? Not quite the same but I once left a car in the garage over winter and it had flat spots on all four tyres when I pulled it out.
4 You still have to carry a pump. Extra weight? Extra fuel use? :?

A

Anonymous

RCZash said:
Hi I would be interested in people’s thoughts on the following points.
1 I have always considered it necessary to replace in pairs anything axle related. Springs, dampers, brake pads etc. and tyres which this thread is about. This is why I replaced the two front tyres and used one part worn as my spare. So if in the future I was unfortunate enough to get a puncture I would be replacing like for like
2 Carrying a new tyre as a spare seems an expensive measure and if you get a puncture you will have one part worn and one new tyre on the same axle. Different levels of grip?
3 If you have to partially deflate the new tyre so it fits in the wheel well, will the sidewall be damaged over time? Not quite the same but I once left a car in the garage over winter and it had flat spots on all four tyres when I pulled it out.
4 You still have to carry a pump. Extra weight? Extra fuel use? :?

Fully agree with your thoughts in paragraphs one and two
I can't see a problem in a partially deflated tyre being stored. There is no weight or pressure being placed upon it after all.
Yes extra weight and fuel use as well as increased emissions which is the excuse used by manufactures for not suppling them in the first place. However the benefits of being able to continue your journey at normal speeds, following a puncture and the ability to have the damaged tyre replaced/repaired at the right price as opposed to being held to ransome by some opportunist outfit, outweigh this extra cost for me at least.

A

Anonymous

To all Manufacturers.
Give us back our proper spare tyres and wheels.

A

Anonymous

Reduces the cost (for manufacturers) and allows them to meet fuel efficiency targets. Won't be reappearing any time soon I'm afraid, annoying as it is!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

I just bought a RCZ and the previous owner had a spare in the boot with a 235 40 19 just loose taking up the space in the boot.

Looked on here and read that you need to deflate it or get a 235 35 19 to make it fit.

So went up my tyre place to buy a 235 35 19 to put on the rim so i could put it in the tray under the boot as I cant be bothered to let the air out! The 35 tyre fitted easy..

So I said just try the wheel I have with conti 3 235 40 19 (i.e. the standard tyre!) fitted it from back to front to get it under the plastic lip! Fitted like a glove!!! no need to remove any screws for plastic lip...

Ordered a Peugeot 207 Jack which is the same as a 308 Jack and as everyone knows the RCZ is based on a 308 £15 delivered!!

So if I had no spare this is what I would do....
buy a 19 alloy off Ebay for 130 quid leave the air in it!! and a 15 quid Peugeot 207 jack!! you get the brace with the RCZ anyway!!

You could buy a 207 spare wheel foam insert with the jack if you want it to look pretty for about 40-50 quid!!

Whats all fuss about!!!??

Happy days!!

A

Anonymous

pugmanrcz said:
I just bought a RCZ and the previous owner had a spare in the boot with a 235 40 19 just loose taking up the space in the boot.

Looked on here and read that you need to deflate it or get a 235 35 19 to make it fit.

So went up my tyre place to buy a 235 35 19 to put on the rim so i could put it in the tray under the boot as I cant be bothered to let the air out! The 35 tyre fitted easy..

So I said just try the wheel I have with conti 3 235 40 19 (i.e. the standard tyre!) fitted it from back to front to get it under the plastic lip! Fitted like a glove!!! no need to remove any screws for plastic lip...

Ordered a Peugeot 207 Jack which is the same as a 308 Jack and as everyone knows the RCZ is based on a 308 £15 delivered!!

So if I had no spare this is what I would do....
buy a 19 alloy off Ebay for 130 quid leave the air in it!! and a 15 quid Peugeot 207 jack!! you get the brace with the RCZ anyway!!

You could buy a 207 spare wheel foam insert with the jack if you want it to look pretty for about 40-50 quid!!

Whats all fuss about!!!??

Happy days!!

I wish you all the best of luck with the scissor jack, hope that you have more success with it than I did :cry:

thornebt

Reaction score
GT RCZ said:
Here is my solution to the spare wheel issue.

The steel space saver from a 2008 407

Peugeot Part No. 5401R4 Cost £48

The tyre size is 135/80 x 17m Continental tyre total cost £67

Brand new Jack for & tools off Ebay £20

Total cost £135

NOTE This will only fit the rear as the front disc is too big.

Can confirm that the wheel will fit nicely into boot well with ample space for compressor, jack & all tools.

I've just bought a 407 spacesaver from Ebay for £45 delivered with a brand new Continental 135/80/17 for my RCZ which has 235/40/19 tyres. I must admit that I find the whole tyre profile / size stuff a bit confusing. The spacesaver definitely seems smaller than the original wheels / tyres. I did fit it and drive it round the block but it seemed fine. The post above seems to suggest that it's the right size but can someone please confirm?

thornebt

Reaction score
After a quick look on the www I think I've answered my own question. The spare wheel can be a different circumference to +/- 5%, with +/- 2% being recommended. My spacesaver spare is around - 3.5% so I guess that's OK for emergency use especially as the speed should be limited to 50mph. I'll probably never use it!

I wanted to go down the 407 spacesaver route as it's less bulky and I imagine it weighs significantly less.

A

Anonymous

Just bought a 60 plate RCZ recently and also decided that I wanted a spare wheel rather than the tyre repair kit that the manufacturers stupidly think will do! . I trawled Ebay and could only find the normal expensive answers until by sheer chance I stumbled across a Citroen C5 steel wheel which has the same 5 x 108 Wheel bolt fitting as the RCZ. It came with a brand new tyre already fitted which was a Michelin 225/55/R17. Cost of wheel and tyre delivered £59. Bought a 2 ton Hydraulic jack off Ebay for less than £24 delivered. Already had a telescopic wheel wrench from Lidl for a fiver LOL!!

I fitted the wheel today and drove it around the block and it fits perfectly. Its a full size spare almost exactly the same size as the RCZ Alloy Wheel and tyre! I reckon this is a good economical solution and despite the fact that it has to sit in the actual boot rather than underneath ( unless I deflate it and then re-inflate it on having to use it) it will do the job well.

Total cost around £88! Bargain!!

Photos down below:

A

Anonymous

Graystar007 said:
Just bought a 60 plate RCZ recently and also decided that I wanted a spare wheel rather than the tyre repair kit that the manufacturers stupidly think will do! . I trawled Ebay and could only find the normal expensive answers until by sheer chance I stumbled across a Citroen C5 steel wheel which has the same 5 x 108 Wheel bolt fitting as the RCZ. It came with a brand new tyre already fitted which was a Michelin 225/55/R17. Cost of wheel and tyre delivered £59. Bought a 2 ton Hydraulic jack off Ebay for less than £24 delivered. Already had a telescopic wheel wrench!

I fitted the wheel today and drove it around the block and it fits perfectly. Its a full size spare almost exactly the same size as the RCZ Alloy Wheel and tyre! I reckon this is a good economical solution and despite the fact that it has to sit in the actual boot rather than underneath ( unless I deflate it and then re-inflate it on having to use it) it will do the job well.

Attachments

• 20150926_135053.jpg
    20150926_135053.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 13,155
A

Anonymous

Just bought a 60 plate RCZ recently and also decided that I wanted a spare wheel rather than the tyre repair kit that the manufacturers stupidly think will do! . I trawled Ebay and could only find the normal expensive answers until by sheer chance I stumbled across a Citroen C5 steel wheel which has the same 5 x 108 Wheel bolt fitting as the RCZ. It came with a brand new tyre already fitted which was a Michelin 225/55/R17. Cost of wheel and tyre delivered £59. Bought a 2 ton Hydraulic jack off Ebay for less than £24 delivered. Already had a telescopic wheel wrench!

Attachments

• 20150926_135104.jpg
    20150926_135104.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 13,148
A

Anonymous

Attachments

• 20150926_140050.jpg
    20150926_140050.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 13,149

tianorth

Reaction score
To save scratching your alloys wheel bolt holes when removing/tightening the wheel bolts put masking tape around the socket of the wheel wrench (told to me by a body paint shop).

A

Anonymous

Help needed on fitting 19 inch wheel in well

I have a 2015 rcz GT and was able to purchase a new 19 inch sortilege wheel with new tyre cheap. I have seen on the forum that people have fitted 19 inch wheels in the well. I have tried my wheel but cannot get it into the space even with it deflated to 12 psi the biggest bugbear being the plastic lip at the front of the boot that the shelf rests on. If there is someone that has solved this problem could they please give me the solution as I'm wary of deflating the tyre further.

VYV200

Reaction score
I used a brand new 19" wheel and had fitted a budget 235 35 19 tyre,fits in wheel well snug,just raises the floor board slightly,wrapped jack & tools in an old towel to protect alloy,works for me. :thumbup: