What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Spare wheel - Solutions available

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Johnny Boy said:
I have just purchased a spare 19" Sortilege rim with a continental tyre fitted, both in quite good condition. This came complete with jack and wheel brace and a polystyrene housing to fit in the centre of the wheel, all from e-bay for £250 plus carriage. The wheel fits in the space in the boot, left by removing the original polystyrene fitting that contained the useless rubber inflating kit without being deflated. The rim and tyre fit very slightly proud of the original fitment and so the boot floor has been raised by about 0.5". The problem I have now is that I can hear it bouncing and moving about as I corner and go over larger bumps. Can anyone recommend a fitment to go through the rim centre to screw it onto the base of the under boot space? I am not even sure what the part is called, any suggestions (polite only please).

Could you try padding out with sponges to stop the rattles?

Janey

Reaction score
Hi, We've just bought a second hand 2013 RCZ GT THP 156 with 19" wheels. (The tyre wall markings read 235 40 R19) It's lovely :)
There is no spare wheel, only a repair kit, but there might be room for a space saver?
In the spare wheel cavity there does appear to be a block in to which the spare could be secured.
The sales place suggested going to eBay, or contacting a Peugeot dealer.
The Peugeot dealer said just a wheel would be £400 plus.
My local independent Citroen mechanic couldn't find an appropriate wheel but agreed that contacting this forum would be a good idea. [he did recommend because of a regular problem with this (BMW Mini) engine I check the oil level weekly and top up with 5/30 fully synthetic C3 when necessary].
I've read through a few threads on this forum and seen there are potentially a few problems identifying which then fitting a correct sized spare around the callipers etc, also I don't know if having non standard 19" wheels creates an additional problem.
Any ideas, please?
Many thanks
Janey

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new ride. You are in for a real treat.

A photo of the wheels would help us identify if they are standard Peugeot.

The tyre markings would suggest that they are probably standard RCZ wheels.

You are correct in thinking you can get a spare wheel in the boot if you remove the polystyrene insert.

A quick search in the forum will throw up several threads relating to this subject, with various solutions as a viable spare.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum, there are loads of options available but if your after a spare your better buying a second hand alloy to match the ones on your car they can be found on eBay and prices seem to be going down, as your dealer has said a new alloy would be close to £400, but a good one on eBay would be around £100, there are space savers available with the same five stud pattern again just search on eBay, as for clearance to discs all genuine RCZ alloys are fine weather 18” or 19” it’s just the RCZR that has 9” wide alloys to clear the large front brake discs :thumbup:

Janey

Reaction score
Thank you Neil and DKZ for your replies, I've attached (I think) a photo of the wheel. I'm fairly sure it was fitted by Peugeot as an upgrade at time of initial purchase.
If you think a second alloy will be good, that would be my preferred option.
Would a 235/40 R 19 fit into the spare wheel well and
Does it need to be a Peugeot brand?
Janey

Attachments

• RCZ wheel 235..40 R 19.JPG
    RCZ wheel 235..40 R 19.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 1,782

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So, what you have there are OEM Peugeot Sortilege wheels. :thumbup:

As for fitting in the boot, I have never tried, but I think there are many on here that will know more. :eusa-think:

I do believe I have read on here that it should fit but worth getting a more educated answer from someone who has done it.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes a sortilege will fit in the wheel well tight but will go but stands proud so makes the boot liner bulge so you have to pad around to support the boot liner. :thumbup:

Jumper

Reaction score
hubcaps said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After trawling through this thread a few times I decided this was my solution too. The wheel with tyre is a great fit on the car and it goes in the boot wheel well no problem. 407 alloy with part worn tyre £49 on Ebay delivered today. I already had a mini flat trolley jack that I carried around in my Saab so that's now in a cargo holder in the RCZ and I already had a couple of 17mm Wheel brace wrenches. Thanks a lot hubcaps I feel a little less vulnerable now. :clap:

Janey

Reaction score
Quick update several months later: I had a problem following a slight kerbing which split the valve due to a protruding valve cap. Slow puncture was inflated using the on board electric pump but ended up needing a new tyre and valve sensor. I've replaced the protruding valve caps with ordinary small ones. I've also bought a full sized spare alloy wheel and tyre from eBay for £50, arrived today. It fits in the spare wheel well, I must now check if it fits onto the actual car.

Attachments

• RCZspare small.jpg
    RCZspare small.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 739
  • RCZ spare Ebay small.jpeg
    RCZ spare Ebay small.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 740

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Slightly different rolling circumference but well within tolerance :thumbup: great cheap spare :beer:

Ol' Jeffers

Reaction score
I dutifully read through all eleven pages of this topic and I'm rather glad that I bought a set of OEM 18" rims from Richard. I fitted them with UniRoyal Rain3 tyres which seem to work very well and waaay less expensive than Michelins. However as I'm a biker I also have a Stop and Go plugging kit ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/STOP-POCKET-TY ... 44&sr=8-17 ) which I used to use for the tubeless tyres on my bikes. I have now got a Harley with tubed tyres and the plugging kit is now in the back of the RCZ. I have used this kit on a neighbour's car and it really does work well. No messy glue, just ream out the hole and fit the plug and re-inflate the tyre, takes five minutes. Unlike the various foam type repairs, as long as the puncture is toward the centre of the tread area, a tyre place will be able to repair the tyre with a vulcanised patch. My neighbour drove on his for a week before he had the repair done. For the first three days he checked the pressure after that he didn't bother. It was fine.

Johnny Boy

Reaction score
Having just had my RCZ written off for flood damage :cry: I have a spare 19" Sortilege wheel rim in good condition, with part used Continental tyre, Jack, wrench, polystyrene insert, tool for removing wheel nut covers, I also have a rubber boot liner, custom for the RCZ and some relatively new front footwell mats also RCZ custom. I even have a clamp to fix the wheel into the boot bay, specially made, as the original 307 version is not long enough for the chunky RCZ items. I found this an ideal confidence building spare which fitted almost perfectly under the boot floor. Any serious offers before I e-bay it? Probably best to view and collect, North East Suffolk. Pictures could be e-mailed. Hope this is ok to post on here admin?

turboguy

Reaction score
Going to pick up an RCZ R alloy on saturday, cant do without a spare wheel

Pedro

Reaction score
I sourced a brand original new wheel off ebay "Stealer Price £600" bought an all season tyre total cost £250 the spare is now sleeping on the floor in the boot !:)

Flanners

Reaction score
I got a brand new/unused R wheel and tyre for £150 (tyre is awful budget job though) off ebay; thought that was a bargain, had been the owner's spare....he had sold his car.

turboguy

Reaction score
I got a brand new/unused R wheel and tyre for £150 (tyre is awful budget job though) off ebay; thought that was a bargain, had been the owner's spare....he had sold his car.
Sounds like you got a great bargain. I paid that just for a wheel without tyre. Getting a low budget tyre fitted tomorrow pilot sport 4S 🤣 cost £183 which is more than the wheel. I dont like unknown branded tyres.

Woodso

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday whilst searching for parts for work that Synetiq have RCZ wheels hubs for £50.00 + VAT, shove a budget tyre on it and you have a cheap spare wheel. I going for one when I build the car fund back up as I have just spent £438.00 for the front coils as N/S had snapped, whilst it was stripped down I asked them to replace the drop links as well cos no extra labour and only £20.00 each. I thought that it was always a good handling car but what a difference this repair has made, handles like a go kart. I am glad that the coil snapped cos the smile as I go down our lanes has just got a lot wider.

turboguy

Reaction score
STYLE.png
MY NEW SPARE WHEEL SOLUTION , strapped it down and doesnt rattle about in the boot .. put a jack in the bottom and still have a pump and foam. Tempted to remove the polystyrene underneath and try to fit it all in but this is easier..

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Take it out and the wheel will fit fine but it does stand proud so I have put two layers of carpet underlay in the boot area and the jack wrapped up in the wheel then put the boot carpet back in and all good to go. Still got your boot.. Hope this helps you out and other RCZers
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co