What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

NG4 New Firmware R42.01

A

Anonymous

I've been a long-time user of GPS Underground (a great community on there) so I'm giving it a go from the downloads hosted on there.

For those unsure of the procedure I'll give a quick write up with how to go on with the files etc (providing I manage it successfully ha ha!)

*Download has finished... wish me luck! :)

A

Anonymous

OK - all done! :)

Download the two parts of the software update from here (should take you to post #31):
http://gpsunderground.com/forum/peugeot ... post180183

Once these are downloaded (make sure both parts 1&2 are in the same folder) then download and install WinRAR if you haven't already got it so that you can extract the archives. From here, open Part 1 and extract the .ISO file to a location of your choosing. It will automatically do part 2 as well so in the end you should be left with a single .ISO file called "NG4_SW_N42b_42.01.ISO" which is around 360Mb in size.

Next, burn this to a good quality DVD-R (Verbatim recommended) at 4x using a burning utility of your choice. A good free one is 'IMGBurn' - it's free, easy to use and best of all supports pretty much everything from Windows XP through to Windows 8. Whichever program you use, pick the option to 'Burn an Image', browse to your .ISO file and open it in your burning software of choice. Remember to burn at 4x!

Once done head out to the car, remove any USB Devices, SD Cards and CD/DVDs for safety and pop your DVD in. After a couple of seconds you should get the message appear on the multifunction display:
"Please do not interrupt the software update once it has started. The engine must be running during the software update. Shall the update be started?" You get two options - Yes (highlighted) and No. Highlight 'Yes' if necessary and click 'OK' on the NG4.

The unit will reboot after a couple of seconds and 'Update in progress' appears on the display. It will take a good 20 minutes at least so don't panic if it takes its time. Once complete, the unit will reboot a final time and after a few seconds you'll see a message saying that the update completed successfully. Click 'OK' to acknowledge the message and voila!

To check it has gone through, click 'Setup' on the NG4 headunit and go to 'System' > 'Software Version'. You should see the following: 'ng4_D_N42b_N42.01'. :)

=========

A word from experience - I burned it to a good quality Verbatim CD-R first off at 16x - the update stopped at 8% on 'SSS.ISO' (1% overall) and stuck for 10-15 mins. The unit was unresponsive and wouldn't eject the disc. Killing the ignition didn't turn the unit off so if this happens to you first off DON'T PANIC!

Open the glovebox and turn the lock on the fusebox door 90 degrees and pop it open. At the rear of the door pop the cover off and remove the fuse blade holder (red in colour - looks like a pair of tweezers). The fuse you need to remove to kill power is 'F8' - it's on the block at the bottom rear of the compartment and it's the yellow 20A fuse. Pop it out with the fuse holder for a few seconds and the power to the NG4 will cut off and the screen will fold down. Pop it back in, turn on the ignition and the NG4 will start back up. You'll get a prompt pop up about why the process failed and you'll be asked whether you want to retry (Yes/No). Click 'Yes' will restart the upgrade. 'No' takes you back to the usual Radio screen and it'll behave as it did before (although your settings and the time/date etc will have been reset).

When this happened to me I was using a CD-R - I reburned to DVD-R and it went through perfectly hence why I say to use a DVD-R for a piddling 360Mb download. I suppose they're cheap enough now these days anyway! :)

==================

I have recorded the procedure on my phone so I'll pop the video up to YouTube so you can see the full process go through in real-time. That'll give you an idea as to how long it takes, where it pauses etc etc. It will also show you the fuse to pull in an 'emergency'! :p

EDIT: As promised, you can find the video below:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ4MJXvPmM4[/youtube]

Cheers all! :)

A

Anonymous

Very useful and all. But isn't it easier to obtain a FREE CD disc from your Main Dealer and spend 35 minutes sitting in your car with the engine running, whilst the upload is complete? This way, you can be sure that you are not using a corrupted file and even if you are that you have a Peugeot dealership to resolve the issue, as they supplied the disc.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Very useful and all. But isn't it easier to obtain a FREE CD disc from your Main Dealer and spend 35 minutes sitting in your car with the engine running, whilst the upload is complete? This way, you can be sure that you are not using a corrupted file and even if you are that you have a Peugeot dealership to resolve the issue, as they supplied the disc.

Not at my dealers, they couldn't understand why i would want the update and said if its not broken then don't fix it, after i explained what a firmware update is.

A

Anonymous

gadgetpuk said:
OO58RON said:

Not at my dealers, they couldn't understand why i would want the update and said if its not broken then don't fix it, after i explained what a firmware update is.
That's just plain and simply disgusting and unacceptable!

A

Anonymous

I agree with Chuzz here! Obviously they don't clearly understand the system. How did this conversation end? I hope this isn't yet ANOTHER dealership with poor after sales customer care!!! :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Thankfully I got the update from a fellow forum user whom I'm indebted to.

Opal white GT with type 1 matt stripe.

A

Anonymous

gadgetpuk said:

In my opinion, that is quite simply ignorance on the part of your dealer. The reason for the updates is to iron out a few of the niggles of the previous setup. As originally speed camera reading were inaccurate as were being calculated by converting Km into Miles and KPH into MPH but then they fixed that but only when you were using the sat nav mode, the latest fix means that you get the correct speed camera reading regardless of what screen that you are viewing. So I guess it was broke and now thanks to the free updates it is mended. Ignorant stupid dealerships are the bane of my life :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Even after doing the upgrade the speed camera warings still don't show correctly. Have I missed / do I need to update something else??

A

Anonymous

Grantp said:
Even after doing the upgrade the speed camera warings still don't show correctly. Have I missed / do I need to update something else??
That's odd. What version does show car show it is working on? Have you updated each one sequentially? As others have said too, that the warnings now show correctly.

A

Anonymous

gadgetpuk said:
OO58RON said:

I fear my local dealer will be of the same attitude.
Last time I inquired about updates it was like asking for a pizza in Klingon :crazy:

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Grantp said:
That's odd. What version does show car show it is working on? Have you updated each one sequentially? As others have said too, that the warnings now show correctly.

Ron I am on following version

Software Version - ng4_D_N42b_N42.01
Map Versions - DB Europe 2013-2013 Edition 1.1
EU Radars 2013-02-01

Are these the current up to date versions??

A

Anonymous

Grantp said:
Ron I am on following version

Software Version - ng4_D_N42b_N42.01
Map Versions - DB Europe 2013-2013 Edition 1.1
EU Radars 2013-02-01

Are these the current up to date versions??
Bang up to date. In that case, I am somewhat perplexed that you continue to have an issue with speed camera warnings not showing the correct speed limit for the road. This issue was resolved by the previous update.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Ron for reply, at least I know I am up to date with software etc. The only speed it gets right is 50mph all the rest are low as they have always been i.e. 35 in 40 zone etc.

Not sure what to do about it, as new Z arrives in next few weeks I will most likely just leave as is.

A

Anonymous

Grantp said:
Thanks Ron for reply, at least I know I am up to date with software etc. The only speed it gets right is 50mph all the rest are low as they have always been i.e. 35 in 40 zone etc.

Not sure what to do about it, as new Z arrives in next few weeks I will most likely just leave as is.
Really strange as mine and others are now correct readings. I have found that I get a warning now even without the sat nav set. A couple of speed cameras were set up for major roadworks on the A64, so a dual carriageway, the speed limit was reduced to 30 MPH, as I drive past I get an alert. I have now informed Navteq that these are no longer in place and so hopefully they will delete from the next months update

A

Anonymous

Thats another strange thing I had alerts whilst not using Sat Nav (I.E. whilst listening to music via Hard Drive, Radio, SD Card etc) before I did the update. I'm not going to pursue it much more as I am about to change car, unless someone has any quick fix ideas that is.

A

Anonymous

Chuzzbutt said:
gadgetpuk said:
OO58RON said:

That's just plain and simply disgusting and unacceptable!

Iasked for the update at the dealers and got a third degree from three different people as to "what was wrong with my unit" "why did I want the update" "what is the update for" before them finally agreeing to get the disk, but they are very insistent that they install it, while I sit there and drink their foul coffee!

A

Anonymous

At least they are going to get it for you, my Dealer still denies it's existence. There Parts Dept know nothing about it even after giving them the Part Number.
At least if they do it and it hangs or something goes wrong they will be able to sort and no hassle on your part having to disconnect battery / remove fuses.
It is just another example of Dealerships not being fully up to date with the products they sell.