What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

"ENGINE FAULT REPAIR NEEDED"

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the info/advice :D and yeah I hope she is discharged from the car hospital soon!
I must confess I did not especially think of the RCZ as a high performance car. But on reflection it must have to be finely tuned to get 200 bhp from a 1.6L engine. God knows how they are gonna make a reliable 260 R. But I was not expecting it to be so delicate. Apart from the stunning looks I was attracted by the reasonable insurance, road tax, servicing and fuel costs and the promise of it being fun to drive :)

A

Anonymous

KazWyatt said:
Apart from the stunning looks I was attracted by the reasonable insurance, road tax, servicing and fuel costs and the promise of it being fun to drive :)
All valid points :thumbup: I bought my HDi for the same reasons and have not been disappointed :clap:

A

Anonymous

Had this warning come up yesterday, the turbo cut out and the car went into limp home mode, which was awful. Started the car this morning and the same warning came up, with the yellow engine symbol illuminated, drove the car and the turbo was working ok and the performance back to normal. Took it to the local Peugeot dealer, left it there for about three hours, they phoned and said that the oil level was 2 litres low, and this was what caused the fault. The oil level sensor has always said the oil level was satisfactory, but the dealer said not to rely on that message as its just a guide and not very accurate. Great sensor that is then. Personally I'm surprised if that was the fault. But just be aware that the oil level may not be ok even though the car says its ok. The garage said that the 200 bhp engine does use oil.

hanswuk

Reaction score
Froggy said:
Had this warning come up yesterday, the turbo cut out and the car went into limp home mode, which was awful. Started the car this morning and the same warning came up, with the yellow engine symbol illuminated, drove the car and the turbo was working ok and the performance back to normal. Took it to the local Peugeot dealer, left it there for about three hours, they phoned and said that the oil level was 2 litres low, and this was what caused the fault. The oil level sensor has always said the oil level was satisfactory, but the dealer said not to rely on that message as its just a guide and not very accurate. Great sensor that is then. Personally I'm surprised if that was the fault. But just be aware that the oil level may not be ok even though the car says its ok. The garage said that the 200 bhp engine does use oil.

I think the engine oil level warning light is a last resort light on most cars. That's why handbooks always advise regular dipstick checks.

A

Anonymous

Hi Had the same problem with mine last week '' engine fault repair needed'' took I to local dealer they found that it was to do with the coolant fan operation need a new part which is coming this week sometime Same thing temp gauge not coming up to temp and air con wasn't working properly
Have driven it after he did some quick repair and has been ok since.
Will keep you posted and to what spare was needed when it arrives and fitted
Mechanic said it was ok to drive normal and have had no problems sine

A

Anonymous

:eusa-think: I have just experienced the same 'engine fault repair needed' issue on by way home from work today. My 200thp has just under 15k on the clock, what I also noticed was the mpg and 'miles left' on the digital screen stopped recording.
Also the only change I have may was to fit a K&N air filter, but I don't think this should affect it, as I have seen that others on the forum have fitted them too. Anyway, limped into the local dealership, hopefully find out tomorrow if they have managed to cure the fault. Fingers crossed. :?: :helpme:

A

Anonymous

Re: "ENGINE FAULT REPAIR NEEDED"

How frustrating and I am truly sorry to learn of these recent issues. :-(

Ad - your our fitted K&N filter won't have been the cause of any issues if fitted properly and I don't doubt that you've done that. More likely to be an issue with the chain tensioner (a fairly common issue with the 200) or similar I suspect. Have you noticed any oil leaking? It's a really easy repair so I have my fingers crossed that it's nothing more serious for you. Please keep us posted everyone.

A

Anonymous

No oil leak of lack of coolants. Getting a bit worried after reading some of the problems from people with the same fault issue, (i.e. cylinder head replacements, unsolved or reoccurring problem).Does anyone know if this is something that Peugeot are aware of, especially considering the amount of people who seem to be getting this fault,and if so have they have introduced any measures to correct it? :?:

A

Anonymous

:wave: Got my rcz back yesterday, dealer had to replace two of the spark lead coils, they also upgraded the software.
I've been out for a run, and it ran really well. :D

A

Anonymous

Finally got my RCZ back on Friday :D after over 2 weeks at the garage. I did manage to rack up 1200 miles on the 308 courtesy car though :lol:
The Cylinder head was replaced and it is currently driving like a dream :D and I did fill up with Super Unleaded :)

A

Anonymous

Hi, Just become the latest victim to the Engine Fault repair needed notification along with the orange Engine Management light under the rev counter.

I was driving through the supermarket car park when the warning lights came on and the car went into limp mode. I managed to drive about a mile down the road before stopping and re-starting the car, the fault notification came up straight away but the car was no longer in limp mode and I was able to get home. The warnings appeared for the next couple of journeys but has been driving fine for the rest of the week, until I could get it into the dealers. The car was at the dealers yesterday and after they have consulted with Peugeot uk I have now been told that they will be ordering and fitting a new cylinder head. I'm kind of relieved that they have found the problem (nothing worse than trips to the garage chasing a fault) and that it's happened during the warranty period but what the hell is going on Peugeot? The car has only covered 13k with a full service history.

I could go on but I won't as there are others on here that have been in the same position which in it's self is not a good thing and just goes to highlight there is a problem with this engine (THP200) But what I would just like to say is that since the warnings flashed up the car has driven without a problem all week. So if you get these warnings get them checked at your dealers ASAP because if you don't it could be fatal. As if a cylinder head isn't fatal enough at about £3000.

Just one more thing.... a couple of weeks ago I unscrewed the engine oil filler cap only to find it covered in what could be described as oil coloured custard, very thick and gloopy. Water In oil maybe ?

A

Anonymous

Just got the message today after some heavy acceleration in second gear (revs were hitting around 5k when the message popped up). I've plugged in my OBD scanner and got the following error code, P2263. The generic description for this error is an issue with the turbo which would fit with the heavy acceleration at the time. Oil levels are fine. Now since I have the grand sum of 7 days left on my warranty i'm going to be getting sharpish along to a dealership to get them to take a look to make sure there's nothing more wrong than a simple error message that I could clear myself should I so wish.

I would recommend picking up even a cheap OBD scanner as they are exceptionally useful when fault finding in cars. The universal OBD plug for the RCZ is on the dash just in front of the gear stick. Remove the rubber insert and then slide out completely the ash tray and you will see the plug. All cars built within the last two decades should have one to allow interface with the onboard engine management system.

A

Anonymous

I don't see the point of having such a machine. What is the point of being able to obtain a fault code without the technical expertise to correct the fault?

A

Anonymous

Who said I didn't have the technical expertise to fix the fault?

It's interesting actually the difference between this forum and the PT cruiser forum I frequented when fixing up one for the girlfriend. The PT cruiser lot were much more up for stripping things down and doing it all themselves although I wonder if this is because the vast majority of RCZs are still under warranty. I foresee a new breed of owner coming along in the coming years looking to be able to fix them themselves.

A

Anonymous

xzibit206 said:
I would recommend picking up even a cheap OBD scanner as they are exceptionally useful when fault finding in cars.
My response was to this and not any suggestion that you didn't have the technical expertise. As you say just about every single RCZ produced for the UK market are still under warranty.

A

Anonymous

And im sure the reason most Z owners dont do it themselfs is becous its a sportcar for car maniaks... You dont buy a 40.000€ car to "fix" problems yourself imho...

(Other then the standard changing oil / filters etc..)

A

Anonymous

I think I have a different philosophy for a lot of things with this car and I think it probably comes from being a hands on engineer.

On the upside, I'm dropping mine off tomorrow at the dealers to let them have a look over it. I told them the issue, code problem etc and they seemed happy enough to take it and run it through within the warranty. Although I did get told that if the issue wasn't a warranty one I would be charged £99. Quite how it couldn't be I don't know.

A

Anonymous

Hi

In case it saves anyone the hassle I went through...

I had this fault start in January.. driving, high(ish) revs, engine fault light and power falling out of the car. I limped home. Next morning, fault gone, car normal. Over the course of the next few months I had this problem on and off - particularly when the car had been standing or it was cold. Particularly if I stuffed my foot down

And each time received a different excuse/fix from the dealer. There were software upgrade "it's fixed", new coils (I think) "it's fixed" and it wasn't.

Believe it or not, it was a damaged spark-plug causing a misfire although the diagnostic software kept saying it was a faulty coil... or something (I do computers, not cars, sorry) The mechanic said he'd never seen anything like it before. New plugs, fault completely gone and not come back since - that's about six weeks ago.

Hope it helps.