What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

"ENGINE FAULT REPAIR NEEDED"

A

Anonymous

Tell me about it!!!

Thats the exact predicament that I currently sit with, and therefore trying to get to the bottom of this and present the facts against the law and see what can come of it.

Thanks for that though!

A

Anonymous

Hi all

My beautiful RCZ experienced the same thing yesterday - that big S T O P warning is quite frightening. The noise coming out of the engine compartment is very disconcerting as well. I called the sales dept at the dealership to speak with a salesman this morning (one hour ago) and he took my details suggesting he would get someone from Service to call me. I still await the call.

I've had the car since mid July and it has been driven only 3800 miles in the last 5 months! I'll let you all know how I get on, and will be sure to point out this thread in case they're interested in reading of experiences other owners have written about.

Regards,

A

Anonymous

yerlanguy
Not good. Why did you telephone the sales dept? They would prioritise that call ie "nowt to do with us" and deal with it in the appropriate manner. Where as a call to the service dept may have been prioritised as "that's not good, we need to sort that" either way it will get sorted but please do keep us in the loop :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Rcz9191 said:
Hopefully Peugeot SA will help you the way Peugeot UK look after customers.

Cor, don't wish that on the Lady, she's had enough problems already.

:p :eek: :lol: :eek: ;) :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

Well, so far so good. The guy at Westover Peugeot (Poole) called me and told me to call Peugeot Assist UK and get them to recover the car and deliver it to the Westover. He suggested that they'd seen this issue a couple of times already and it is likely the water pump controller not sending a restart command to the pump - we'll know more on Monday. Within an hour, a massive AA recovery truck arrived and took it away. Otherwise, Peugeot Assist contacted Enterprise Car Rental (out of hours service) who contacted me and arranged for a loaner vehicle to be delivered to my residence.

Fingers crossed they'll nail this on the head Monday or Tuesday and my love affair with this RCZ GT will continue.

Amber Red THP 156 6 Speed; 19" Sortilege Midnight Silver Alloy Wheels w' Brilliant Black Callipers and Brilliant Black Front Grille, and the interior has Light Grey Lama Leather

A

Anonymous

It helps when you speak with the right people. In this country most workers are unwilling "to go the extra mile" so you need to speak with relevant people in order to stand any chance of getting anything done. It sounds that it is all happening for you now though :thumbup: My confidence in Peugeot is growing as a result of this forum

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
My confidence in Peugeot is growing as a result of this forum

Have to agree with you there Ron :thumbup:
This Forum, along with the Posters of good and bad tidings (time of year !!) of course, seems to have got some really good results on occasions.

Well Done ALL ;)

A

Anonymous

Hi folks

I supposed to be picking up my car this afternoon. They have diagnosed it as the 'water pump housing' and when I asked them to explain this, they said some of the 'bits' surrounding the pump had deteriorated to such an extent that they were not functioning properly. I will be demanding a written explanation of the fault as I am not satisfied with the verbal one I have recieved. I'll keep you all posted.

Oh btw the Enterprise car loaner (from Peugeot Assist, which is actually AA) is only good for two business days so it is up to the dealer to provide a loaner after that. The dealer gave me the typical song-an-dance about how their loaners are booked out a week in advance. I contacted Peugeot Customer Service who told the dealer to 'sort it out'. Low-an-behold, within hours they had secured a demo from sales for me.

Cheers,

A

Anonymous

Right! I've been re-united with my beloved RCZ GT. The written enplanation is as follows: FOUND COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR WITHIN WATER HOUSING CAUSING FALSE READINGS ON GAUGE. INTERNAL SENSOR FAULT. REPLACED COOLING HOUSING ASSEMBLY AND FILLED COOLING SYSTEM. CLEAR FAULTS & CHECK ALL OK.

They explained to me that the sensor is part of the housing and cannot be replaced on its own - hence the requirement to replace the entire housing assembly.

So there you have it folks. I'm off to the office tomorrow (60 miles each way) so if you don't hear from me in the next few days, you'll know my love affair has resumed :roll: :) :D

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Just for reassurance, the info you have been given appears to be correct. The water temperature sensor is integral to the housing, part number 1336 CC.

There was an earlier version with a seperate sensor but it has now been replaced across the petrol range with the integrated type.

Diesel engines have a sensor that can be replaced seperately.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Pete!

Any ideas how a component like that could fail after 5 months and 3755 miles?
Should there not be a general recall of the affected petrol vehicles?
What you you figure it could have cost someone if it was out of warranty?

Cheers,

Amber Red THP 156 6 Speed; 19" Sortilege Midnight Silver Alloy Wheels w' Brilliant Black Callipers and Brilliant Black Front Grille, and the interior has Light Grey Lama Leather

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Not sure I can answer all those accurately.

What I will say is that, as with many mass produced items, it is likely that not every one made will be exhaustively tested, although I would expect some form of batch sampling. Many modern manufacturing processes look at controlling the input materials and the actual assembly process. The theory is that if the materials are right and they are put together properly, then the finished product will be OK. This works for large quantity production where the product definition is good and there are little variation from item to item.

Because this relies on statistics, it is inevitable that some less than perfect items get made delivered and used. Obviously, some end user finally gets this and experiences this quality issue as an item that has less than expected life.

I can't say for sure, but I wonder if this is what you have experienced. Perhaps some weakness in a seal let hot water into the electrics, thus corrupting the sensors output.

In terms of cost, again I can't say for definite, but I wouldn't be surprised if the part itself was £75 - £100 with up to 3 hours labour needed to diagnose, drain the coolant, replace the part, re-fill the system and check all the seals are sound. Depending upon where you are in the country labour charges may vary bu at, say £75/hour, the total could be in the region of £300 to £400.

Manufacturers would consider this acceptable on the basis that the total quantity of faults is small (because of good control of materials & process), so is cheaper overall than fully comprehensive testing on every item made.

Regarding faults that occur outside the warranty period, well - we knew what the terms were when we signed on the dotted line. It's all part of a complex set of questions relating to cost competitiveness and overall product quality.

A

Anonymous

:text-goodpost: A clear concise and plausible answer. Go to the top of the class (leave your books as you will be back)

A

Anonymous

It's all part of a complex set of questions relating to cost competitiveness and overall product quality.

And that's where only numerous faults / time will tell if Peugeot can keep us as customers :thumbup:

Have to say though, that unless they come out with any further innovative designs, I can't see any of the current Peugeot range appealing to me to make me stay :eusa-think:

pete.garratt

Reaction score
I guess each manufacturer periodically finds its mojo and has the courage to do something daring.

I think one of Peugeots' issues might be none of its' models appear to have much longevity.

When did the first Golf or 3-series come out? It's interesting to think you can still buy one all these years later, even though it's a world apart from the car you bought 20-30 years ago. The name/brand still conjures an image that people want to buy into.

Perhaps that's why Peugeot broke with tradition and gave us a non-'0' designation?

You could imagine all sorts of models with an 'RC' prefix, a bit like the idea of 'I' in front of the words 'pod', 'phone' & 'pad'.

This might seem pretentious now, but it could be in the minds of the marketing and design guys.

Perhaps they use forums like this as a research tool to gauge opinion and customer needs/desires/aspirations.

After all, it was the clamour after the concept that actually gave us the RCZ to buy......

A

Anonymous

I've had a heap of similar problems. And with my dealer over 1 hour's drive away and doing precious little when I take it in, it's really making me consider ditching the car. All started with an oil leak, then a coolant leak, then repeated engine fault warnings. Perhaps the leaks caused the problems with the sensors, but I am really losing faith in the car. After less than 7000 miles :cry:

A

Anonymous

I picked up my RCZ at 10.00 am this morning - it had 94 miles on the clock. Halfway home the warning lamp came on with Engine Fault -Rrepair needed. So less than an hour after I drove the car away fromthe dealer, it's now back inthe service dept plugged intothe computer. Waitingto see what gives and if I get a differnt story I'l tellt hem about the colant pump sensor!Not a brilliant start after only 110 miles!

A

Anonymous

Just got my RCZ out of the garage. The tests show that all is well but they downloaded some new software and updated the BSI. Drove the 18 mile home and so far so good. Big test tomorrow morning when I drive the 40 miles to work. Fingers crossed

Oh, and for those who answered my first Newbie mail: it's the 200BHP GT 1.6 ltr petrol engine. Grey leather interior and charcoal metallic paint job on the outside. I had just parked it in the driveway and my wife rushed out and asked if we go to Tesco's in it!!