What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

"ENGINE FAULT REPAIR NEEDED"

A

Anonymous

Yep, glad you're all sorted.

Definitely shouldn't have been advised to have kept on driving the car in whatever mode it was in :brickwall:
(Sounds like the Limp Home Mode to me though).

Can't believe Peugeot didn't give you a Courtesy Car while the problem was still present - even if your car was left on your drive while waiting to be repaired.
Got to be safer, more Customer focused to do that than leave you driving round in a slow, vibrating vehicle :eusa-think:

Keep your eye / ear out for any other faults that may "mysteriously arise" over the next few days / weeks.
Hopefully, you will be all okay and you can get back to a bit more :auto-car:

Glad you're back on the road :clap:

A

Anonymous

Good evening forum!

I have read this with extreme interest. I am a proud owner of a RcZ and I have had very similar experiences of the ENGINE FAULT REPAIR NEEDED LIGHT.

On my first visit to the dealer they stated it was a sensor that required cleaning. This was done and within two weeks, after medium acceleration the same fault reoccurred.

After a week of driving the car awaiting a booking the light cleared. After two weeks the light came back and the result being a repair to replace a "faulty Turbo Pressure Sensor" this was done on Thursday of last week.

Today, I am pained to say I have a light appeared, same fault reported, occured in the same situation; accelerating out of a junction...

I'll post what the dealership says in the next day or so!

Any more ideas? Is it the Plugs? Is it the coil? Who knows?

Regards

Kevin

FGRob

Reaction score
It could be a simple loose connection, the engine will be moving around on acceleration so it could be pulling something to cause a loss of signal for a split second - just a thought.

Rob.

HARWOOD

Reaction score
Hi Kevin.

When the "Engine fault repair needed" warning comes up on the display what happens to the engine? Does it sound/behave any differently than it did prior to the warning being displayed?
Just for update, since they replaced the ignition coil all seems well but I’m very apprehensive about giving the car some stick which slightly defeats the object of owning this type of car. I'll have to take her for a run over the weekend and give her some stick just to be sure that the fault is not going to rear its ugly head again!
One additional thing I have noticed is that about 1 minute after pulling off the temperature gauge rises all the way up to centre (90 deg) and falls back to zero again. It will then steadily rise back up to centre (90 deg) as it should although I did notice this morning that it slightly fell back again before settling on centre. Please lord not another problem waiting to occur!!!
Has anybody else experienced this with the temperature gauge?
Thanks for any contributions.

Peter.
PS I also have a very annoying rattle which seems to be coming from the driver's side air vent. I am sure that somebody has already posted regarding this subject?

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I have had the STOP illuminate only when accelerating on a cold morning. This has only occurred when the temp has intermittently gone into the red. Returned to normal instantly after backing off, don't even have to be pushing it for that one. I have also lodged a post on spark plug issues on here just now. Causing it to go into a fail safe mode. Along with other issues. Have a read it may also apply to your car also.

Daryl.

A

Anonymous

had same kind of error displayed, after car was connected to a computer, here's what it was:

god knows what caused it, but after a reset, it dissapeared, and now all seems ok...

A

Anonymous

khatkar said:
I think I had a similar fault last month. The engine was up to temperature and I was accelerating, then completely out of the blue I got a message which (if memory serves) read "temperature fault stop engine immediately" I hadn't noticed observed the temperature dial prior to the warning. But it scared the **** out of me, I guess I'm more used to a more generic slightly less alarming engine fault light (on previous cars) which could mean anything. Anyway I took it to the dealer who apparently did a full check (although when I asked what a "full" check was they seemed a little sketchy on the details), they could find anything wrong, no error codes reported in the ECU and they put it down to an intermittent fault with a temperature sensor. I've not seen it since and the time it did happen it only appeared for maybe 2secs. No problems since...

...Well nothing temperature related!

I had the same experience today... I accelerated with 2nd gear and when the engine reached 6000 rpm I got the same message for 2 secs.
I live in Greece and the temperature is quite high this period: 35C
I 've heard that turbo engines have problems with high temps and I feel reduced engine power when it's very hot, but didn't expect a message like this...

A

Anonymous

Hi All,
I have had this same issue on and off for 2 months now and it's been in and out the dealers like a fiddlers elbow, they just couldn't seem to find the fault, I told them the engine management light comes on under hard acceleration or high speed and when this happens I lose power as the turbo cuts out. To cut a very long and tedious story short it's the Turbo Dump Valve thats faulty, it sticks every now and again and must be replaced!. This is a known issue as when it first happend I took it in and the service guy showed me a tech document from Peugeot stating all the symptoms I had and the circumstances it happens under and it is the Turbo dump valve.

A

Anonymous

hi started car up same message came up car seams to be running ok straight on to dealer tomorrow

A

Anonymous

This message came on today so I took car straight to dealers, they checked and said it was the coil but had to order one in. I had already booked the car in for a 12mth service next week as I dont do many miles per yr. The service manager told me they would do it when they service the car and it would be ok to drive, I might just feel a lack of power when accelerating .

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

I have been reading the trail of this post and have had the similar problem, where I had the warning light and when I looked atthe manual, it said it was the engine autodiagnosis, after which i took it to the dealership and they told me it was an error but all it fine, its been about 2months later and i had this problem yesterday afternoon, where the same error came up, only this time my car went into complete limp mode, lost all power and i was able to just make a turn back home.

This morning I arranged for my car to be towed to my dealership as I did not want to take the chance of causing any damage to the engine, but its been in for half the day and they have not had a look at it as yet, and I am still awaiting feedback.

I find this very odd for a brand new car especially that it was "supposedly" sorted out the first time around, and being female, i wouldnt quite understand what the underlying issues are!

Harwood I see that you had this problem in June, how long have you had the vehicle for? and the mileage? Have you experienced anymore of this since?

Regards Janice

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Just a thought, but previous incarnations of the THP engines (156 & 200 bhp guises in RCZ) have had problems relating to timing chains and cam gear. This has been reported on Minis, Citroen & Puegeot vehicle. Basically the engine timing drifts out, so the engine management system turns off the turbo, hence the loss of power.

Don't know what engine you've got but this might be a possibility. You could ask them directly if the engine timing is OK.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, will bear that in mind, I have a 1.6 Turbo, believe it or not I have not even had a repsonse from Peugeot as yet and its been 24 hrs that my car has been at the dealership!

I have just called them now and waiting an urgent call back as to what is going on, as this is now just pathetic service, needless to say this should have been given priority based on the fact that it is the second time, same issue.

Will share the verdict once I get one.

Regards

HARWOOD

Reaction score
Janice14 said:
Hi Guys,

I have been reading the trail of this post and have had the similar problem, where I had the warning light and when I looked atthe manual, it said it was the engine autodiagnosis, after which i took it to the dealership and they told me it was an error but all it fine, its been about 2months later and i had this problem yesterday afternoon, where the same error came up, only this time my car went into complete limp mode, lost all power and i was able to just make a turn back home.

This morning I arranged for my car to be towed to my dealership as I did not want to take the chance of causing any damage to the engine, but its been in for half the day and they have not had a look at it as yet, and I am still awaiting feedback.

I find this very odd for a brand new car especially that it was "supposedly" sorted out the first time around, and being female, i wouldnt quite understand what the underlying issues are!

Harwood I see that you had this problem in June, how long have you had the vehicle for? and the mileage? Have you experienced anymore of this since?

Regards Janice
Hi Janice.
I'd had the car for about 3 months and had done approx 2000 miles. Originally it was diagnosed as a faulty spark plug which was replaced but a couple of days later it happened again and the new diagnosis was a faulty ignition coil which was replaced. Since the replacement of the new ignition coil I have not had any further experiences of this issue however since the original fault occurred I have not really pushed the car to it’s limits – not that I drive like a lunatic, it’s just nice to open her up now and again when the road permits. Since then, I have had an issue with a faulty temperature sensor which was replaced and now seems to be operating correctly. One thing that baffled me though is the “limp mode” After the fault occurred for the second time; the engine would vibrate terribly and sounded like a tractor engine!!! Good luck getting it fixed.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the information.

Well yesterday it turned out that the diagnosis was a valve, and I am sure on the details, but I was told that the replacement was taking place yesterday, and my car would be ready in the afternoon only to get to the dealership and find that it is not!

I was furios by then and was given the courtesy car which was the branch manager's car as at this point it was totally unacceptable to not be give one.

Its been 4days and she is still in at the workshop and they are still working on her, and told me after the diagnostics test, the report os throwing out multiple errors which should not be the case. They are now consulting with France technical for advice as they cannot seem to figure it out and so another day goes by and I have not received her back.

Will be patient and see what happens tomorrow but this is very concerning based on the fact that I have had her now since end of January and she has just hit 10 000kms and something tells me that the first time the initial error came up it was probably not looked at properly, fortunately there was no tractor engine signals, I just hope that France can help them resolve this soon!

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone,

You will be livid when you actually hear what im about to tell you!

I had feedback on 15 November 2011 and based on that, I am posting my email for the attention of the MD of Peugeot South Africa:

Dear Mr ******,

It is with regret that I am directing my concerns to you. However I feel that my disappointment warrants your attention and your response on this matter and would be most appreciated.
I have been a loyal Peugeot buyer for approximately 6 years, I bought my first Peugeot at the **** Peugeot dealership after which moved to ***** based on their relocation to ******. I serviced my Peugeot at ***** for the past 5 and a half years and I have recently upgraded to the brand new Peugeot RCZ.
I will start off by saying that I love the car, and that at the time of the purchase had felt confident that I had made the right decision.
I bought the car from your ****** dealership at the end of January of this year (2011) and since then have experienced 3 issues which required me to take in the car for testing with that latest (and I need to stress still on-going saga) being the final straw. How does a brand NEW car of this calibre experience so many faults?

The service has been shocking and the response on updates vague and unclear. The latest situation has led from bad to worse leaving me, a truly disillusioned customer. Until yesterday afternoon, the technicians have had no clear understanding of the issues until recently (consulting with France) discovering that MY car has a MANUFACTURING defect. Needless to say that the car picked up an error approximately 3-4 months ago (2nd issue) and I took it in and was told that it was repaired and fixed. Now I have been told that the real issue the first time round, was not picked up and clearly the bigger issue was missed, hence it being incorrectly diagnosed the first time and turns out the part replaced then, subsequently burnt out again.

So second question is, how can Peugeot release a car with manufacturing defects? I can’t be the FIRST in the world to be experiencing a manufacturing defect and if so why was I not notified or given a warning? And if I am the first, an even bigger concern, is there a possibility of a recall which consumers need to be made aware off.

To make things even WORSE I have been given a temporary car that is of the low standard!!! Is the Peugeot RCZ a car of such a low standard that I have to put up with a manufacturing defect, extremely poor service and drive a car that is not of a my level! Do I not AT LEAST have the right to be supplied with a car of equal standard...never mind the fact that I have been given a VW polo without even electric windows!

I am pleading to you to step in, consider and understand my situation, TREAT me as a VALUED client NOT only in the short term but in the long term. MY NEW car has a manufacturing defect – and I want to understand how Peugeot plans to rectify this matter understand my rights as a consumer!

Await your response on my concerns and complaints.

Thanks & Regards

That was my email yesterday and to my dismay< i had a call from head office today to say that the branch manager together with the service assistanct that spoke to not only myself but a male friend of mine, to explain the situation, they now DENY saying this and I ask myself the question as to why???
At this point i am totally frustrated, and looking at my legal options at they have questioned my integrity and clearly unethicall in their practices.

A

Anonymous

how can Peugeot release a car with manufacturing defects? I can’t be the FIRST in the world to be experiencing a manufacturing defect and if so why was I not notified or given a warning? And if I am the first, an even bigger concern, is there a possibility of a recall which consumers need to be made aware off.

You are obviosuly frustrated but you do need to get a grip...all cars made by all manufacturers can have problems...In the UK we have a Government department that orgianises recalls for things manufacturers believe are safety related...there has been nearly 400 recalls so far this year....including Mercedes & Toyotas that may leak fuel, BMW's that may catch fire, Audi R8 spyders that may leak fuel, Vauxhalls where the handbrake may fail...the list is endless...

Things on cars can break or go wrong, your car has a defect, the issue seems to be your dealers lack of ability to sort it! At least they have asked Peugeot what to do now!!

Hopefully Peugeot SA will help you the way Peugeot UK look after customers.

Good Luck :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I guess I am a little over emotional on the issue, but in South Africa we do have the Consumer Protection Act and this protects the consumer in that should something go wrong that is manufacture related and not due to the fault of the consumer or the consumer maybe unhappy, within the first 6months, they have a right to return the vehicle for a brand new vehicle or a full refund, and had this diagnosis been correct the first time round, I would have been aware within my first 6months and demanded a brand new car, as now, I have a new car where the engine is being replaced (top part) that is, which is not acceptable especially that its only 10months old.

You are quite right about the competency of the technicians though as it did take them over a week to diagnose and that is my concern, i dont want a car thats been worked on by incompetent people!

Thanks, I hope so too!

A

Anonymous

I can completely agree with your frustration and I too would be less than happy with a major engine rebuild that was carried out by "monkeys" It all comes down to confidence, if you haven't got that in them, then I'm afraid that you will never be happy and will need to offload that beautiful RCZ.
At ten month old you will loose a fortune though