What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

"ENGINE FAULT REPAIR NEEDED"

A

Anonymous

Re: "ENGINE FAULT REPAIR NEEDED"

Only if you are parking in a parent and child bay !!! Lol

A

Anonymous

Had the same trouble on my 200BHP after just 95 miles! Called the dealer and the car was back in the garage two days later to be fitted with a new temperature sensor (in fact it was the entire housing unit) -took them four hours. Have since covered a 1800 miles without a problem.

A

Anonymous

Shit, my engine fault light has come on, and cars gone into limp mode. But no fooking Peugeot garage I call is open on Saturdays!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Peugeot assist are on their way - be here in less than 1 hour- we have 3 years cover !!!!!!!!!
Ace service.

A

Anonymous

All fixed, AA came over in 50mins, reset the fault code and we went for a blast - all fine!! Phew!

A

Anonymous

Hi guys, I have the same problem with my 200. Car is going to be fixed next week. Seems like this is a real "sticky" problem, as the new cars still have it...
Shame on Peugeot for not being able to deliver cars without this problem.

Rue1

Reaction score

My 200 has just finished a 3000km round trip to Sydney (total mileage now14500km) and haven't had any issues whatsoever so I wouldn't say they all have the problem...

A

Anonymous

Hello all , my 11 plate RCZ 156 has become difficult to start but runs fine when going , the engine warning lamp is on and the aforementioned repair message is on the radio display - it's going into the dealer for a seeing to on Wednesday the 10th - I will let you know what the outcome is - I work in the parts trade so I won't allow them to dish out any BS !!

I too get a rumbling noise at low speed from what seems like the rear suspension but not when travelling at speed - I may not be able to hear it when going quicker as the tyre noise etc may be drowning it out - I haven't crashed yet and it still goes around corners like glue so I'm not too worried at the moment - it isn't getting worse either.

Halfords sell a seat cushion which covers the whole chair - almost - £25 ish - it's very comfy compared to the normal seats upholstory - ie none !!

Windows closing - a bit squeeky and the mirrors are the same when closing - it is a Peugeot after all !!

Apart from this all is well - presently !!!

Tata.

A

Anonymous

I had this when my RCZ hit about 9 months old, first the dealership said it was cleared and was working fine, then it happened 1 week later and the dealership said it was the turbo and an air flow issue...1 year later and it's happened again..this time it was the spark plugs, so they changed them...last week it happened again. They still have my car having ruled out a fuel flow issue. The service manager took it home this weekend and it did it again this morning, now they looking for a 'blockage'. The only clues, a turbo fault and a misfire. Frankly, I've had enough of my RCZ. I hope you guys don't get the reoccurance I did, but I wouldn't get excited if it goes away a while. I have to work out a way of getting the dealership to prove the fault is solved this time. In the meantime I have a 208 for another week having been without my RCZ for 1 week already. Of course, not all RCZ's have this problem, it would be ridiculous to say it Rue, but for those it does happen to, it's not something to dismiss, believe me. I sincerly hope it doesn't come back for those who have had it.

A

Anonymous

I have had the same problem recently on a 200BHP RCZ. First happened last November and when it went back to the dealer they said it was the enginemanagement system cutting in to reduce the power after a sensor fault!
It happened again this weekend - under heavy accelleration the 'Engine Fault - Repair Needed' display comes up and lost power, presumably because the turbo had cut out. I have it booked in again next week so will re-post when I get it back.

A

Anonymous

Had this on my THP200 last week - Was just driving around town and went to pull away and had severe lack of power, at first I thought I was in 3rd gear. The STOP light flashed on and off and then the Engine Fault repair needed came on and stayed :(
I limped it up to the nearest Peugeot Dealer, which is unfortunately 15 miles away on Friday, They kindly agreed to take a quick look while I waited, even though they were really busy :thumbup: 30 minutes later the Service Manager confirmed that there was indeed a fault and they would need to book it in, to strip down the engine It was originally booked in for 3 days from yesterday. I was given a 308 as a replacement ( I had to pay £12 for insurance). I mentioned that I had read on forums about other people having encountered similar issues. When I said that ultimately they had ended up having cylinder head replacements, he did not seem that shocked and confirmed that they had done 2.
So it was not such a big surprise when he telephoned me in the afternoon to say that they had found the problem and I needed a cylinder head replacement! Which means that it will be there for another week
I have only had the car myself 2 weeks and it was bought as a used Approved with 20,000 miles on clock.
I had done a quick search to see if there were any known faults in regards to the thp200 before buying one, but obviously had not looked hard enough. I have since seen similar issues reported on all the other cars fitted with the same engine. I am sure I read somewhere that Peugeot is the only one to have since made a change to theirs.
Although all the work is covered under warranty, it has still been a slight inconvenience.
But I am thinking that it is better to have gone now, whilst still under warranty, as I was told it would cost over £3,000. It seems that Peugeot are accepting there is an issue and replacing the cylinder heads when needed without too much of a problem, so no big complaints :thumbup:

richard.au

Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread, but it's applicable here.

Your car needs a software reset if you have this fault. Do not do anything else or speculate anything else or spend money on anything else until this is done. I'm copy/pasting from the other thread ...

Let me just explain the full process, this worked for me. Peugeot Roadside Assist described this to me over the phone. It was this, or get a tow truck. There is no way my pearl is getting towed :auto-car:

---
Using the remote, lock and unlock the car three times in a row.

Take the car for a kilometre drive.

Turn the car completely off and lock.

Unlock and start the car as normal.
---

Once I had completed those steps, my THP200 was/has been absolutely fine.

I've now driven over 1500 kilometres since that event with no more incidents.

Whatever caused it is unknown. Could have been a computer glitch. I was travelling in peak hour traffic at the time, after the car had not been used for a few days. Or it might be a fuel issue, although I always generally stick with Caltex premium. Who knows.

Of course, maybe you have tried this. In which case my advice won't help you now, but it may help others at another time.

richard.au

Reaction score
Kazy, I just fully read your story.

I'm seriously worried you and others may be getting taken advantage of. Look, I could be totally wrong, but what you are describing is intense for a new car.

My very first question to them, without letting them google the answer, is - 'Did you try the software reset? What steps did you take to perform that reset?" Do not let them take a chance to look it up, they need to answer you squarely in the eye.

In fact, I'd frame the question a little like, "Did the reset take 5 presses, or 6 presses before the lights blinked?"

If they answer - "That's not part of the process .. " - well then maybe they do know what they are doing.

But if they answer 5, or 6, then you know they are spinning a yarn. Maybe not deliberately, it maybe inexperience, but, well, you know what I'm trying to say.

I'm astounded at the lengths you are being taken to here. For a simple software reset. Please let me know the outcome, you may have a case of negligence going on, so choose your words and documentation carefully.

A

Anonymous

If the car idle's fine and drives in limp mode without smoke, i agree with Richard. You got some bad fuel, car detected know, pulled back timing and the car went into protect mode. If you do the reset and the car immediately goes back into limp mode its something else.

Try the ECU reset and report back please.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your concern and suggestions :)
But the car is at Peugeot Garage with the engine in pieces right now, so I think it is too late to try the re-set, otherwise I would have given it a try.
I do have an inherent distrust of most garages, I have to say.
But the repair is not costing me anything, apart from the £12 for insurance on the courtesy car, as it is being done under warranty and Peugeot UK had to authorize it. Would they be so quick to agree to change so many cylinder heads if they didn't know there was a problem?

I don't know if maybe you are overly concerned about fuel quality being the problem. I know that the standard is not as high in the USA and varies widely, maybe it is the same South Africa, but we have a minimum standard here.
http://www.carpages.co.uk/motoring-news ... -01-10.asp

I only had a chance to fill up the car twice, both times with Shell. Which I was told by a refinery friend was marginally better.

I can't wait to get her back though :)

A

Anonymous

Here is an easier explanation from wikipedia:
Knocking (also called knock, detonation, spark knock, pinging or pinking) in spark-ignition internal combustion engines occurs when combustion of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder starts off correctly in response to ignition by the spark plug, but one or more pockets of air/fuel mixture explode outside the envelope of the normal combustion front.

The fuel-air charge is meant to be ignited by the spark plug only, and at a precise time in the piston's stroke cycle. Knock occurs when the peak of the combustion process no longer occurs at the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The shock wave creates the characteristic metallic "pinging" sound, and cylinder pressure increases dramatically. Effects of engine knocking range from inconsequential to completely destructive.

How to cure:
-the use of a fuel with high octane rating, which increases the combustion temperature of the fuel and reduces the proclivity to detonate;
-enriching the fuel/air ratio, which adds extra fuel to the mixture and increases the cooling effect when the fuel vaporizes in the cylinder;
-reducing peak cylinder pressure by decreasing the engine revolutions (e.g., shifting to a higher gear, there is also evidence that knock occurs more easily at high rpm than low regardless of other factors);
-decreasing the manifold pressure by reducing the throttle opening, boost pressure or
- reducing the load on the engine.

A

Anonymous

BTW - knock, does not necessarily sound like a knocking sound at all. If you dont know what to listen for you wont even pick it up.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the articles Max83 :thumbup: :)
I have to say after reading them, I find it quite comforting that Peugeot are replacing the cylinder head :D
It seems that if you have experienced any of those symptoms then permanent damage could have already been done.
So wouldn't just replacing a part be just like a temporary fix ? Maybe that is why some people have had repeat engine faults after replacing only certain parts, or it being blamed on software or faulty sensors.
So I am unsure why I should be concerned about Peugeot airing on the side of caution and replacing the whole unit?
When I lifted the bonnet there were some signs of oil having seeped out between where the head joins the engine. Nothing major but I was a little concerned.

I believe also there has been some issue of oil being sucked into the air intake on the early models which may or maybe not be related. I am not an engineer, so excuse me if I am saying anything stupid.

In regards to using the higher octane fuel. I had planned on filling up with it once a month unless I actually noticed a performance increase. As I was told a few years ago that was sufficient for the cleaning additives to be effective. I had done this on my previous car with a V6 engine and had run it for 10 years without any engine problems.
But I will read more about this and try it and see. I am not against buying Premium if it makes a difference.
What I have learned is that what is described as Premium varies greatly from country to country. In USA they consider Octane 92 as Premium where as in Japan 100 is standard. Here 95 Standard and around 99 Premium. So I understand that if I had a Japanese import car here I would need to use Premium.

A

Anonymous

I dont think they are replacing the head to fix the problem, i think it might be fixing damage caused due to detonation. Especially if you say you could see oil coming from head gasket.

Also remember, the THP 200 are running much higher power to capacity ratios than the average road car. I know people think because its only a 1.6 its not a performance motor but I promise you, ithe thp 200 is a pretty high performance motor if you look at Hp/CC

Hope your car gets sorted soon!