What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Diesel Particle Filter

A

Anonymous

I actually picked my car up today from Pinley House (Peugeot UK Headquarters) after just over two weeks. The dpf filter has been changed for a new one, my new wing mirrors were fitted and my brake discs have been skimmed as I was experiencing very poor braking performance compared to two other RCZ's I have driven.

Now for the bad news......

My brakes are no different and they valeted my car and it looks like someone has been over it with a brillo pad. :twisted: Some of you may remember this happened to me at the dealership when my RCZ was in for its 1000 mile checkup. The car was polished at the body shop and the issue was quickly resolved. This time I am really p*ssed off. The scratches are far worse. My dealership checked my car over before it went to Pinley House and he reported that it was immaculate. They know that I detail my car every two weeks and I keep it in pristine condition.

All the hundreds of hours I have spent detailing car my have been wrecked by some heavy handed muppet who obviously has no idea how to wash a car. I am taking my RCZ back to Pinley House on Monday and I'm looking for some suggestions as to what I should ask for in way of compensation. I am that angry that I feel like taking legal action against Peugeot for negligence.

If this is the way Peugeot HQ treat someones car what chance have any of us got. This was supposed to be my dream car and it is turning into an absolute nightmare. The new passengers wing mirror has also not been fitted correctly as there is a gap at the top of the mirror housing stalk and the door panel.

Absolutely shocking Peugeot!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Well had may RCZ for 3 months now the DPF is on yet again this is the second time I am going to trading standards and will be taking legal action
against the car dealer I want my deposit refunded and the finance stopped??? Ohh The Engine light also came on today I love my car but had
problems from day one> I have told the dealer what has happened they said you need to drive on the motorway more I said you cant tell me
how or were do drive so I will be getting my moneyback....... I hope.

A

Anonymous

keithuk1977 said:
Well had may RCZ for 3 months now the DPF is on yet again this is the second time I am going to trading standards and will be taking legal action
against the car dealer I want my deposit refunded and the finance stopped??? Ohh The Engine light also came on today I love my car but had
problems from day one> I have told the dealer what has happened they said you need to drive on the motorway more I said you cant tell me
how or were do drive so I will be getting my moneyback....... I hope.
Blame the stupid European laws and not the car manufacturer for mess we are in and the need for Peugeot to comply with these Emission regulations.

A

Anonymous

On 27th May 2011 I purchased a Peugeot Rcz 2ltr diesel on finance. I was sold it by a salesman called ****** in Salford, Manchester.

I was over the moon with the car until after a month of purchasing the car a light on the dash board came on saying 'risk of particle filter clogging'. After the first time it came on, it started coming on after I drove 2 or 3 miles. I took it to Peugeot and waited around for like 2 hours. The mechanic had a chat with me and asked me if I was doing alot of short journeys, to which I replied 'yes as I live right near the city centre, so never have to go far in my car really and I don't work far from where I live either'. He said that this was the reason my particle filter was clogging up because I wasn't going on motorways or long journeys. I was quite surprised at this because if that is a major thing about the car (that you have to take it on long drives or on the motorway in order to prevent the particular filter clogging) then surely I should have been told this upon the sale of the car??

Anyway after the mechanic unclogged the filter, I drove the car away and thought that that would be it and it was fixed. Unfortunately I thought wrong and after doing roughly 100 miles the light came on yet again and also the engine management light. It had not even been a month since I last took it in, so once again I went back to Peugeot, and as told exactly the same thing that the particle filter had been clogged and this was caused through me doing short journeys. However, I don't know what else I can do as I live close to town, close to my work, so I therefore never have to do long journeys and very rarely go on motorways. I asked to speak to the manager as if this was going to keep happening then I would rather give the car back and get a full refund of my deposit etc. However I spoke to the manager over the phone who passed me onto the car salesman Daniel who sold me the car. He told me he didn't think there was much he could do and that it was basically not their problem. I kindly informed him that as he was the one who sold me the car, then shouldn't have been in his interest to inform me that I had to do long journeys?! He told me that they had never been trained to tell customers this. I am appalled to hear that!! For 1, Peugeot NEED to train their staff on this as I think this is a very important issue on the car, and 2, if he knew that I needed to do long journeys, then why not explain it?? Seems to me like a typical salesman just wanting his commission !!!

I have spoken to trading standards about this and as I do not fully own the car yet as it is on finance, then it is the finance company's decision whether to refund me. Trading standards said that the car was mis-sold me as I was not informed of the 'long journeys/motorway journeys that needed to be done to prevent the filter clogging, and also they said if something is not 'fit for purpose' then you are entitled to return something. As the car is NOT fit for my purpose then it is within my right to hand this car back and get a full refund on my deposit and cancel the finance. I think the way Peugeot have dealt with this Has been appalling and no-one seems to be taking the blame! It has just been left with me to deal with. I do not doubt that within the next 2-3 weeks the filter light will come back on again and yet again I will have to have it fixed for the third time. So please can you investigate this and I would very much appreciate it if you could get back in touch with me. If this is not sorted within the next 14 days then I will be taking legal action against Peugeot as trading standards have informed me that I am within rights to do so, and not only will I instruct my solicitor and trading standards, but I will also go to watchdog. Just spoke to Trading Standards car is not fit for purpose car was miss sold I also don’t own the car until final payment due to this I am entitled to a full refund and return of goods.

A

Anonymous

Have a read of this , it may help explain what the car is doing and how to stop it:

post23911.html#p23911

Did you tell the dealer you only do a handful of miles a day? You seem to be confusing the manufacturer and the dealer...you didnt buy the car from Peugeot, you brought it from a dealer, it was the dealers staff that advised you, not Peugeot...it is the dealer who is responsible for training their staff...Your contract is with the dealer & the finance company not Peugeot , any action you have to take is against the dealer/finance company.

A

Anonymous

Just a quick one, I was in a local workshop today and in comes the salesman for Forte products with a DPF additive to make your re-gen's happen easier.
I sent picture of the product to my engineer contact at Jaguar Diesel, he just laughed, and asked WTF is that going to do. I told him "all it says on the tin" the man says....

My problem is ...... is the salesman right :?
or is the man with the BEng :ugeek: who has years of working with diesel fuel engine and emissions right :eusa-think:

in case you diesel guys are interested you may be able to get the product at a parts shop as its listed as pro use only. £7-45 +VAT (just so you can work out their mark up) it was to the workshop I was in.

Paul141 :beer:

A

Anonymous

keithuk1977
I feel that you purchased the wrong engine rather than the salesman sold you something that is unfit for purpose. The engine and the car are truly fantastic. What on gods earth led you to go for diesel rather than say the 156 petrol version? I tend to think that one chooses diesel when one does high mileage. The additional cost of a diesel engine over a petrol is usually around £2000 and so is only recouped by the extra MPG of the diesel.
I have the same engine, I live 26miles from work and travel along a dual carriageway (60/70MPH) and have not experienced this problem. Think hard before going legal. You bought the car and cannot reasonably expect the salesman to know how you was going to use it.

RCZ1

Reaction score
I'm afraid I would have to agree with Ron on this one. As he says, you only really get the benefit of diesel if you do lots of mileage therefore more miles to the gallon.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
What on gods earth led you to go for diesel rather than say the 156 petrol version ?

Simples.....2.0l die-hard diesel engine versus a puny 1.6l washing machine.

No contest :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

keithuk1977

I haven't read the manual as I have the petrol 1.6 engine but I'm sure it will give you advice on how to drive to clear the clogged filter.

I had a similar thing happen on my previous car (Audi A4 2L Diesel). I took it back to the garage and was similarly annoyed however when I went through to the workshop a wise old mechanic told me (a) read you manual as it's explained in there (it was but I hadn't bothered to look!) and (b) in future as soon as the light comes on drive home (for me was about 20 miles) in third gear. That helps to burn off the contamination/particles. Because I normally drive a lot on motorways it only happend once more but this (driving in 3rd) did the trick with no apparent harm to the engine.

Have you checked if it's covered in the manual?

A

Anonymous

Telford Steve said:
keithuk1977

I haven't read the manual as I have the petrol 1.6 engine but I'm sure it will give you advice on how to drive to clear the clogged filter.

I had a similar thing happen on my previous car (Audi A4 2L Diesel). I took it back to the garage and was similarly annoyed however when I went through to the workshop a wise old mechanic told me (a) read you manual as it's explained in there (it was but I hadn't bothered to look!) and (b) in future as soon as the light comes on drive home (for me was about 20 miles) in third gear. That helps to burn off the contamination/particles. Because I normally drive a lot on motorways it only happend once more but this (driving in 3rd) did the trick with no apparent harm to the engine.

Have you checked if it's covered in the manual?

Or you could read the instructions given directly by peugeot that I posted above and again here:

post23911.html#p23911

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Slower than a puny 156 THP though :eusa-whistle:

Ahh....we're talking about two different things :thumbup:

You're talking about the straight line speed :auto-car:
I'm talking about the wear / tear / strain that the 1.6l is under by doing this sort of "hard" driving - particularly as the weeks / months / years roll by.
Whereas the larger Diesel Engine will cope very comfortably with this "hard" driving and last a very, very, very long time.

I have to say that I do find the Diesel Version a very "comfortable and capable cruiser" as my foot to the floor days are (nearly) over.
This car does suit its needs - conveys me around at reasonable speed with the ability to pose and wave at everyone else.
I do this even though they are not taking a blind bit of notice of me and getting on with their own lives / journeys.

Now, if I was buying a car for straight line speed......no version of the RCZ would be on my list.

KeithUK1977
Hope everything gets sorted out satisfactorily for you one way or another :thumbup:
'Tis a shame that your ownership has been blighted in this way.
Not really that much you can do about it, except maybes find a motorway once a week to have a good blast along ??

RCZ1

Reaction score
I agree with you Gorwell, the RCZ is a lovely cruiser. I don't get to "drive it like I stole it very often" but when I do, it handles brilliantly. For me the 156 is perfect and I look after the engine, so I think it will last a good while yet :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I had the DPF warning on my RCZ coming on only after 3000 Km. Now it seems it have cleared itself off and i have 5000 Km on the clock and no more warnings. How it got cleared away i don't know but for sure lately i started to do far more longer journeys.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

gatt767 said:
How it got cleared away i don't know but for sure lately i started to do far more longer journeys.

Hi Gatt,

The following makes some interesting reading and may provide a little more background (it did for me :thumbup: ):

"FAP stands for 'Filtre a Particule' which is French for particulate filter.

In other makes of car, it's sometimes called DPF or diesel particulate filter.

Diesel particulate filters are designed to remove harmful sooty elements from a car's exhaust, which contribute to atmospheric pollution and have been linked to respiratory problems.

Particulate filters work a bit like a self-cleaning oven. A filter traps tiny particles of soot in the exhaust gases.
As the soot particles accumulate, the pressure in the exhaust pipe increases, because the soot blocks the free passage of gas out of the pipe.
When the pressure builds to a certain point, a sensor in the filter tells the engine management system to inject more fuel into the engine.
This causes heat to build up in the front of the filter, which burns off the accumulated soot particles.

The process happens fairly quickly - within a few minutes - and, sitting in the driver's seat, you won't even know it's happening.

However, there are some problems associated with DPFs - some require the car to be driven at a minimum speed for a period specified by the manufacturer, typically 50mph for 20 minutes.
It's a process called regeneration, and it burns off a build-up of sooty particles - but if it isn't done, vehicles can go into 'limp-home' mode or even break down.

Having to run a car like this can make it unsuitable if you only use the car for very short runs.

DPFs can also built up terrific heat and there are stories of the paint on some garage's floors being scorched and grass being burnt.

For doing their job, though, they work very effectively, often removing over 99% of particulate matter."

A

Anonymous

Got a 2011 HDi RCZ and have just started with this fault plus a very squeeky steering wheel when turning right. It's booked in a Peugeot for next week. The car was only serviced at beginning of March and I asked the Service Centre whether or not this should be covered in the Service or under warranty. They wouldn't give me a straight answer! So will just have to see what happens next week.

A

Anonymous

I had my RCZ serviced on 14 Aug. Yesterday I was driving along the A50 and the DPF warning message came up. I stopped for a few minutes, rang the dealer who advised me to come in and have it checked, however when I moved off again the warning message was off and the fault indicator on the speedo cluster had also gone off. My car is just over 2 years old and has 11500 miles on the clock. Obviously I am going to keep an eye on it.

A

Anonymous

Davew said:
I had my RCZ serviced on 14 Aug. Yesterday I was driving along the A50 and the DPF warning message came up. I stopped for a few minutes, rang the dealer who advised me to come in and have it checked, however when I moved off again the warning message was off and the fault indicator on the speedo cluster had also gone off. My car is just over 2 years old and has 11500 miles on the clock. Obviously I am going to keep an eye on it.
check this post:
http://peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=447#p42982