What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Dangers in Jacking up RCZ

A

Anonymous

If your'er not confident in using the jacking points, then use a trolly jack under the strut / wishbones on the front and the rear springs on the rear. :thumbup:
I remove all my wheels every 3 months to give them a good clean and have never had an issue.

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
If your'er not confident in using the jacking points, then use a trolly jack under the strut / wishbones on the front and the rear springs on the rear. :thumbup:
I remove all my wheels every 3 months to give them a good clean and have never had an issue.
For an ignoramus like myself can you do anything to be more specific as th where these points are? I have a trolley jack but no idea as to the points that your talking about. The only wishbones that I know about are Turkey ones and get pulled on Christmas day :lol:

A

Anonymous

Umm hard to explain Ronald.

On the rear take a look under the car from the back not the side, you will see a large sprig either side, fixed to a support, place your jack under that support but from the side of the car.

The front is similar, you can place the jack under the wishbone which is behind the front wheel, it's a large steel flatish area where the lower suspension sits .

its called a wishbone due to its shape.

A

Anonymous

Ron the wish bone is the flatish component at the lower back, painted yellow and looks a bit like, umm, a wishbone on your turkey . :thumbup:

This photo is a general mock set up, not the RCZ suspension set up, but it gives you a good idea of what to look for.

Attachments

• 300px-Double_wishbone_suspension.jpg
    300px-Double_wishbone_suspension.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 6,620
A

Anonymous

P1$$ed off today - took mine in to Kwik-Fit in Thornbury last Wednesday for a wheel balancing as it'd lost a weight. Since then I've noticed one hell of a clanging coming from underneath the car but couldn't see anything amiss. That is, until I checked underneath the sills after hearing it coming from by the door:

To say I was a bit angry was an understatement. By the time I got home from work their phone lines were closed so guess who'll be getting a right going over in the morning!!! :evil:

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hear about this lufcfan, the damage looks the same as mine and many others on this sight. The worry is if you take it back to kiwi fit they probably will try to repair it but will the repair be any good? You'll probably get the same spotty teenager that did the damage in the first place. I went back to my Peugeot dealer and took the hit knowing that the damage would be fixed properly and I would have comeback if it wasn't. Mine now looks as good as new. I am also going to write to Peugeot telling them of my experience.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

I will do. :)

I'm going to get a quote from Peugeot and Kwik-Fit look like footing the bill for it... there is no way I'm letting them near it again!

A

Anonymous

It seems to me looking at the photo as if the trolly jack that these people are using has a lifting plate that is too big in diameter, so it is lifting on the plastic sill first, it is not just lifting on the jacking point alone as it should be doing.

If the plate on the jack is sitting and lifting against the plastic sill first it will not be sitting square under the jacking point, so once it has started to take weight on this point it will start to bend the jacking point and cause the weight to damage the plastic sill as well.

My trolly jack has a smaller lifting plate that sits directly under the jacking point, avoiding the plastic sill.

I may be wrong but that's the only way I can how the plastic sill is getting damaged and why the jacking point is also then bending.

Maybe the plastic sill should not sit so close to the jacking point and had a bigger "cut around" the jacking point at the design stage by Peugeot. :eusa-think:

NB.
If you look at this latest photo you can actually see half of the round indentation of the trolleys lifting plate clearly on the outer edge of the plastic sill. It also looks like it is not even center of the jacking point, it is to the left.
This car has obviously been lifted on the plastic sill and not just on the jacking point.

As I've said all along, whatever jack is used it must be sitting square and directly under the jacking point to avoid the plastic sill, this will eliminate all this unnecessary damage that is being caused.

A

Anonymous

I have used a trolley jack several times on my Z, never had a problem, just make sure you are directly under the jacking point.

A

Anonymous

lufcfan said:
P1$$ed off today - took mine in to Kwik-Fit in Thornbury last Wednesday for a wheel balancing as it'd lost a weight. Since then I've noticed one hell of a clanging coming from underneath the car but couldn't see anything amiss. That is, until I checked underneath the sills after hearing it coming from by the door:

To say I was a bit angry was an understatement. By the time I got home from work their phone lines were closed so guess who'll be getting a right going over in the morning!!! :evil:

That's Horrendous looking mate the worst i have ever seen,they have'nt even used the jacking point's area,they have just used the underside plastic 3 " sill trim :shock: :shock: :? :cry:

A

Anonymous

Hey lufcfan,
How did you get on with you jack point? Did it get fixed?
Regards
John

A

Anonymous

jave22 said:
Sorry to hear about this lufcfan, the damage looks the same as mine and many others on this sight. The worry is if you take it back to kiwi fit they probably will try to repair it but will the repair be any good? You'll probably get the same spotty teenager that did the damage in the first place. I went back to my Peugeot dealer and took the hit knowing that the damage would be fixed properly and I would have comeback if it wasn't. Mine now looks as good as new. I am also going to write to Peugeot telling them of my experience.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Mine are absolutely crushed flat :( but sod it, I'm not doing anything about it as you can't see it. It can only have been done by tyre fitters at some point (I have my suspicions but can't prove anything). Not that it'll be ever jacked up with anything other than a trolley jack anyway. No point in losing any sleep over it....

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I wrote a letter with photographs attached of the failure and sent it to Peugeot customer and they indicated they have not seen this failure before however they are aware of the comments on this forum. They more people that contact Peugeot directly the more chance we have of getting something done about it. Comments........

Regards

John

A

Anonymous

I think you're absolutely right jave!! People who have experienced this really must make something of this and force Peugeot's hand IMO.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

A

Anonymous

They are not interested. The RCZ is the past "new baby" they know full well that these jacking points are not fit for purpose, What does anyone think that they will do about it really?

I have just booked mine in for September to have my front one restraighted for the 2nd time. They are a nightmare. Never in all the cars that I have owned have I been terrified of jacking one up to remove a wheel.

I would love to challenge Peugeot Uk. To put up a RCZ of theirs and allow forum members to change the wheels. If they are confident that these jacking points are suitable no harm would occur to their car and RCZ owners would regain some of the confidence that they have lost.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
They are not interested. The RCZ is the past "new baby" they know full well that these jacking points are not fit for purpose, What does anyone think that they will do about it really?

I have just booked mine in for September to have my front one restraighted for the 2nd time. They are a nightmare. Never in all the cars that I have owned have I been terrified of jacking one up to remove a wheel.

I would love to challenge Peugeot Uk. To put up a RCZ of theirs and allow forum members to change the wheels. If they are confident that these jacking points are suitable no harm would occur to their car and RCZ owners would regain some of the confidence that they have lost.

mmmmm Ron, 'owners' understandably respect/take care of their cars though. Its the pimply neds in the tyrefitters, on the minimum wage that couldn't give a flying f. After a puncture, an afore mentioned youth tried to say I had a damaged locking nut. I watched the prat break it when he was torquing up the nut but would he admit liability? No. The manager even fobbed me off with how 'flimsy' they are. At the end of the day you've no comeback.........

A

Anonymous

donnaj1dlh said:
After a puncture, an afore mentioned youth tried to say I had a damaged locking nut. I watched the prat break it when he was torquing up the nut but would he admit liability? No. The manager even fobbed me off with how 'flimsy' they are. At the end of the day you've no comeback.........

Had the same incident here with my Golf GTi...I let my VAG dealer remove the broken nut and replace all 4 locking nuts and send the invoice to the tyrefitter.

Never saw the guy who broke it again...

A

Anonymous

My point being Donna. We owners should be able to jack the car up, without the need to have "special tools" made. The fact that you have a modified hockey puk and I have a similar tool means that we have no confidence in the jacking points. Never before have I ever had any such concerns with any other car.

A

Anonymous

As I have already previously mentioned, I dont have a problem in jacking up the car, however, this is only because I know of the issues, and that I consciously make an effort to position the jack so that it will not carch on the plastic sill.

IMO, the jacking points will take the weight of the car , but the problem is that whatever type of jack is used it has to be placed precisely in the correct position, which can be a little difficult due to the plastic sill sitting so close to the jacking point.
Larger trolley jacks like the ones used at most tyre bays have a larger diameter lifting cup so therefor it will catch on the plastic sill as it lifts, so if a larger trolly jack is used then the car needs to be lifted under the wishbone (front) or suspension spring hanger (rear).

I do agree fully that Peugeot should address this problem, and at the very least they should of re-designed the plastic sill on the new model so that it allows more room around the jacking points.

But as we are stuck with the current design, I think it's a case of correct positioning of the jack, and/or asking tyre fitters/garages ect, to lift at the above suggested points if they are using a trolly jack with a larger diameter lifting cup.