What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Dangers in Jacking up RCZ

tianorth

Reaction score
Just posted this on the rcz Facebook page.

Wherever I would jack on the front, parallel to the jacking point but towards the centre of the car there are what looks like 2 boxes. (These are structural).

Picture of passenger side in UK (left hand side)

I will use the one nearest to the jacking point for the jack, I also use a piece of wood which goes across both boxes (3" × 2" basically wide enough for the jack head to sit on but narrow enough for the axle stands to sit on), I then put an axle stand to the other box (other end of wood).
Which as the chassis is so stiff raises the rear wheel off the ground so I put another axle stand on the rear jacking point.

This is great if swapping wheels around as in front to rear.

If jacking both sides up the car will pivot on the jacking point where the axle stands are keep an eye on the rear one to make sure axle stand doesn't hit the plastic sill cover.
Use another set of stands for the other side.

Reaction score
Jacked both ours up last week to put the winter wheels and tyres on.

Took my time and a lot of care with no issues at all.

Used a regular trolley jack and a rubber tool bought from ebay to protect the sill.

Had a good look and could see how a bigger trolley jack, no tool and lack of care could smash a sill easily.

tianorth

Reaction score
I have lifted my car successfully on the front jacking points, but a company that took my wheels off collapsed the front offside, which they straightened but it now cannot take the weight and keeps failing.
So to stop it failing and damaging the plastic sills anymore I use the structural boxes.
Better to be safe than sorry.

A

Anonymous

I've just noticed this post which originated in 2013 but I am now worrying myself sick as this morning I had a flat tyre and the RAC man and the Tyre shop both jacked up the car! Do I dare look underneath???? Or should I remain in the dark. Can't believe some of the pictures on here of the damage. :?

tianorth

Reaction score
Get it checked out and see where the alternative for jacking is. If you can get it on a 4 post lift.
Also jacking on the structural boxes will first lift the front wheel then jacking a bit more will also raise the rear.

A

Anonymous

Just checked under ours.......the passenger side front is partially collapsed but no damage to plastic cill, this is an 11 month old car and the only previous keeper was a Peugeot main dealer until we bought it last month. I'm guessing when i asked them to refurb the alloys prior to purchase they have knackered the jacking point.
Now given the issues I have had with them so far and the fact I have no intention of setting foot back in the place despite their offer of a free tank of fuel if I call in I have straightened it back out and treated with waxoil, I'm sure they'd deny it anyway.

stagger321

Reaction score
Jaggs said:
Just checked under ours.......the passenger side front is partially collapsed but no damage to plastic cill, this is an 11 month old car and the only previous keeper was a Peugeot main dealer until we bought it last month. I'm guessing when i asked them to refurb the alloys prior to purchase they have knackered the jacking point.
Now given the issues I have had with them so far and the fact I have no intention of setting foot back in the place despite their offer of a free tank of fuel if I call in I have straightened it back out and treated with waxoil, I'm sure they'd deny it anyway.
Noticed after a service I have a partial collapse too to my rear offside. Annoyed with myself (after my jacking point history) for not properly seeing this.
By coincident my car was also run by the dealers manager before I got it and had previously had alloy repairs, hence previous damage.

@Jaggs - Can I ask - What did you use to get it back in place? Stilson wrench, adjustable spanner, mole grip, or something different?

A

Anonymous

I'm pleased I've read this thread.
I jacked my wife's RCZ up 2 weeks ago using my smaller trolley jack, without issues. To check the spare I'd just bought. I'll be checking the other 3 jacking points tomorrow. As I purchased my wife's RCZ 3 weeks ago from a pug dealer, it's 18 months old now. Any damage I can find, It'll be going back. I can see how this issue would occur, I have two trolley jacks, a large & small one. It'll now be fun when I need new tyres.
Perhaps some of the issues are caused by garages not looking before they start jacking, as the sills are so low.
More a "Push & pump mentality" :sleeping-yellow: OOPS! The jack is going up, the car's not moving? I've always double checked jacking points, before I've start to lift the car (whatever make).
Just checked all the jacking points. All A1, relief:)

A

Anonymous

Jacking points nearly always get damaged by trolley jack use, unless the mechanic/tyre fitter uses care and thought! If you are going to jack up your RCZ then to increase the ground clearance I use old laminate flooring squares 3 or 4 can be arranged into a low height ramp approx 2-3inches high for each wheel. Drive car up onto them or push with aid of helper. If you think about and plan e.g. a stout block for the wheel to stop against rather than roll over the ramp. This is just an aid to get the car high enough for a trolley jack to slide under and pick up on a good strong subframe mounting point or use the RCZ jacking points with a modified jack head. You may even find that even if a 2 post lift has been used by the Dealer; as is usual, your jacking points might already be distorted. :eek:

TAKE CARE WHEN EVER YOU JACK UP A CAR TO DO ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!Solid level ground only and avoid tarmac drive ways especially in hot weather. NEVER TRUST ANY JACK BE IT SCREW TYPE, HYDRAULIC OR SCISSOR TYPE. USE GOOD QUALITY AXLE STANDS PLACED EVENLY TO TAKE WEIGHT OF ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION (obviously the front of car is much heavier than rear) SO AS CLOSE TO FRONT AS IS REASONABLE NO MASSIVE OVERHANGS AND USE BLOCKS AS WELL IF YOU CAN ....OVERKILL IS BETTER THAN BEING KILLED :(

A

Anonymous

Had an accident in RCZ in Feb this year, car has just had annual service and its first MOT and failed because of damage to the chassis which is blamed on garage who jacked the car up whilst doing repairs. Question - is this a fault on the chassis of RCZ as having battle with insurance company. Any advice welcome

A

Anonymous

Just jacked the wife's rcz up today to put the winter set on. No issues at all. Although I have two trolley jacks. Just double checked as I lifted the car. Jacking point is wider on the back than the front. Does not seem to be any worse than any other car I've jacked up in the past. Obviously using common sense to locate the jacking points correctly first.
Although I did notice the two rear dampers were rusty on a 2014 plate. Inside, underneath their covers. Only noticed them, as the wheels were down.

tianorth

Reaction score
Did you know that by jacking up the front so wheel comes off the ground, then jacking a little more the rear wheel also comes off the ground as well, so you could do one side at the same time!

But I would not recommend doing this on the jacking point see the above link.

A

Anonymous

tianorth said:
Did you know that by jacking up the front so wheel comes off the ground, then jacking a little more the rear wheel also comes off the ground as well, so you could do one side at the same time!

But I would not recommend doing this on the jacking point see the above link.
I didn't jack the front up high enough for the back one to lift off the floor. If I was going to lift both wheels, say to swap front to back. I'd use both jacks. I also have a high lift RAC trolley jack. Prefer the smaller trolley jack I have. Easier to use. Bought the RAC one for my wife's old landy. Needed extra hight.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good but you will till have to be careful :thumbup:

French Letter

Reaction score
My four wheel bolts arrived from the UK.

So, I'll be jacking up the RCZ to replace the bolts. I could just not do that, but I want to do a front to back wheel swap. Currently I've more tread depth on the rears, so I'll balance the wear until next year - new Continentals ContiSportContact 5's.

But I'll wait until I get those jack support units before doing the job.

I hate those security bolts. Crap. No one steals these wheels in Oz.

Anyhow, someone will buy them from me on eBay. :)