What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Dangers in Jacking up RCZ

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

Im so concerned about this that I thought I would post this as a new topic.

THIS IS SCARY!!!

Ok so I spoke too soon. I had a puncture and I thought it was fixed with no damage to the lifting point but alas no. The puncture was not fixed, turned out to be a double puncture with the two holes too close to plug separately so a new tyre is required. Anyway after fitting the new tyre I looked at the jack point and this was what I found to my horror!! This was done at my local garage that I have used for years. They used a conventional trolley jack to lift the car.

The jack point on the front drivers side has bent out and ripped itself away from the bottom of the car and is effectively lying flat. The plastic skirt around the sill is now being pinched by this bent jack point and does not looked damaged, hope it will spring back into place when the lug is straightened.
It is clear that this is not strong enough to take the weight of the car, there is no substance to this and it does not appear to be attached to anything of any strength. It is going into the garage for a good look tomorrow but it will need straightened, welded and then re-sealed. I would be very weary of jacking the car up again with this point. Indeed if I need to get the wheel off for any reason then I will be going back the the dealer and not my local garage. Fortunately as i know the garage they are going to repair the damage, they have never seen anything like this before while simply changing a tyre.
I can't emphasise this enough to everyone. Don't think about jacking up the car at anywhere else but the dealer so if it all goes wrong they are to blame. These jack point are definitely not fit for purpose and I will be complaining to Peugeot about this. I am not a happy RCZ owner at the moment Has anyone else experienced the same this? I know a few (Ron) have on this forum.
Any comments welcome.
Regards
John

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 25,704
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 25,703
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 25,703
A

Anonymous

Yeah, it is utter bull sh!t that these things cant handle the relatively low weight of the RCZ. Wont be jacking mine up anytime soon again...

A

Anonymous

this happend to mine so i hammed it back down and jacked it up off the axle which you should never do.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
I bent my drivers side rear jacking point :( It was my own fault though as the teeth on the top of my trolley jack were on it rather than on either side of it.

A

Anonymous

merchant seaman said:
I guess thats why they don't supply a jack :eusa-think:

...or a spare tyre. Ok...I know that isn't actually true but this jacking point thing really is ridiculous and I'm still rather miffed about my tyre which, by the way, is unlikely to arrive before Monday/Tuesday. Humph. :oops:

A

Anonymous

This is a well documented issue that Peugeot have not recognized or addressed. Both of my front jacking points were bent by the tyre fitters. They are going to straighten them out this coming Monday.

I have had a tool made to try and avoid this from happening when I jack the car up. However I have little to no control over what others do. This tool has been bored out to fit onto my trolley jack (so it shouldn't be able to move) and the groove on the opposite side, sits snugly around the jacking point and should prevent any movement that may cause damage.

A

Anonymous

sorry to see the pics
but thanks for the post to save anyone else from this damage ;hope you get it sorted

A

Anonymous

Interesting to note this, thank you for posting, and sorry for the damage to your RCZ. Exactly how do we prevent this short of making a tool as above?

A

Anonymous

I strongly suggest that you make a similar tool, as my jacking points have been damaged on each and every occasion that the car has been elevated. These jacking points are not fit for purpose and bear in mind once they are damaged, they need to be repaired prior to you being able to use that jacking point again.

A

Anonymous

Winter tyre replaced and new summer tyre on. All my jacking points appear to have held up thus far. Although...it's a squeaky bum moment every time I see the car being jacked up. :shock::shock::shock:

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

Car going in on Monday to dealer to get quote for repair, should get it fixed middle of next week. I spoke to Peugeot customer service after taking advice from my local dealer but Peugeot said they have not heard of this problem before and refused to contribute to the repair. I just want to get it sorted and forget about this whole situation.
What I can't understand is how some have no problem with jacking up their RCZ time after time while others, like myself, the first time it's jacked up I end up with the damage shown. The best solution, i think, is to make the aluminium alloy adapter that Ron has shown for a trolley jack but care must still be taken when jacking.
Be safe folks :?

Regards

John

A

Anonymous

Amazing to hear that Peugeot have become deaf and blind all of a sudden. My Peugeot dealer has repaired my jacking points FOC previously after the jack slipped damaging the car as well as the jacking point and now I am waiting for them to be straightened again. I have never before considered jacking a car up to be anything but routine, now it's a military operation and a bl££dy scary one at that. No way should I be as terrified as I am about jacking up a car. I have absolutely ZERO confidence in so doing as a result of the resultant damage from previous wheel changes :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Had both my front tyres changed last year.

Car was jacked up for 20 minutes while they went round the Garage looking for the tyres that had been "stored safely" so that no-one could find them.
The wheel fitting went okay.

Can't say that I've ever looked underneath to check the jacking points, though everything looks okay.
Do you really have to get well underneath to see the damage - or is it obvious from a quick hands and knees job :oops:

With the random car point (happens to some and not others), is it a particular model that this keeps happening to i.e 156 / 200 / HDi ??

A

Anonymous

Tis a hands and knees joby and I can't see it being model specific. I imagine the body shell will be the same on all models

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

I don't know if it makes a difference but some trolley jacks come with a castellated lifting pad that will engage with the jacking lug sticking down from the car. The castellated nature will do the same job as Ron's adapter and stiffen the connection. In my case the car was jacked up with a flat trolley jack so in hind sight it is not surprising that the jack point bent. It may be a good idea for anyone getting a tyre changed to ensure that the trolley jack has this feature beforehand and that the fitter is aware of the fragile nature of the jack point.

Regards

John

A

Anonymous

All great advice. I'm glad I found this thread and learned of the issue before getting the RCZ. Thank you all for the contributions.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

Well car all fixed and good as new but cost £400 in total to get done at local dealer. A bit expensive if you ask me but I am happy that the car is back and all is right, also if there is any problems in the future I can go back to the dealer, so peace of mind even if it has been an expensive exercise.
I am going to write to Peugeot and tell them of my experience and the experience of others here on the forum. I don't think anything will come of it but it is worth a try. I hope what has happened to me does not happen to anyone else.

Regards

John

A

Anonymous

It will I'm afraid. These jacking points are not fit for purpose :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

hi just thought I would post my experience have being searching for tyres for my rcz hdi managed to get conti contact 3
orignals £220 each fitted and balanced cost me £440 for front 2, Reading the horror stories about jacking up the rcz I thought I would also get a price from my local Peugeot garage has they would have more experience in jacking up the car but they wanted £620 I decided to take it to my local trye fitting garage having explained the problem to the fitter about the jacking points being very weak decided not to chance it getting under the car noticed just in front of the jacking points a part of the main subframe which looked quite sturdy decided to chance it just managed to get trolley under car due to it being so low.Isaid to the fitter lets go for it what a hair raising 20 minutes I just cant see how you would get a trolley jack under with a flat tyre I will not be doing this again any time soon I do think this is a big design fault with the rcz never being through so much aggro to have tyres fitted thanks to this forum this has stopped me having a lot of grief one relieved rcz owner :beer: