What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Dangers in Jacking up RCZ

DKZ5745

Reaction score
This has all the hallmarks of turning into a completely different thread :crazy:

My guess is that your Jack ripped your sills into bits, even thou you were using the correct jacking point - but THEN you woke up covered in sweat, and realised you were just having a Dallas style dream :sleeping-yellow:

stagger321

Reaction score
Pretty p'd off this morning.
Last week took my 7 month old RCZ-R in for a check on an oil leak (different thread) under warranty .

At the time (due to this thread and others) I said I had concerns with the jacking points and the sill splits - as per this thread.
They said they would use the standard process to jack the car with their 4 post rig and their chief mechanic said they had never seen issues with split sills at the jacking point.

Today I brought it back as requested - and the oil leak is no longer an issue - Great!
...............however the sill has split at the b*&^% front off-side jacking point exactly as per the photos on page 1 of this thread.

I was not happy. Mechanic took some pics and said their warranty man would check with Peugeot and get back to me.

He also said that it looked like there was dirt in the split and it looked like it had been like that for a while. So they are trying to wriggle out of this by blaming the dealer I got it from.

I can see whats going to happen here. Peugeot will refuse the warranty claim. Local dealer will blame dealer I purchased car from. Dealer I purchased car from will blame my dealer and I then get to play piggy in the middle.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH :evil:

Near side - Fine

Off-side - b*gg&r it :evil:

renegade79

Reaction score
Tough break mate! Hope you get it sorted. Keep pestering them until someone takes responsibility for It!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Not good :eek: hope you get someone to admit responsibility, sills don't rip themselves.

stagger321

Reaction score
bigmac3161 said:
Oh so that's why they don't give u a jack.
Indeed.

I think its fair to say the Honeymoon is officially over.
Using the marriage analogy : I still love the wife, but I've fallen out big time with the in-laws. :helpme:

stagger321

Reaction score
Hi all,

What has been peoples experience with warranty claims going to Peugeot UK Warranty dept?

Local dealer/service dept where the jacking point failure was found says their warranty man sent pics and description straight away - which was two weeks this coming friday (24th Oct)
So what kind of turnaround should I expect?

Currently not that happy driving around with a car with a hole in it.

A

Anonymous

As far as I'm aware pug still deny there's an issue with the jacking points. Good luck it'll be a buck passing session wasn't me guv :(

stagger321

Reaction score
bigmac3161 said:
As far as I'm aware pug still deny there's an issue with the jacking points. Good luck it'll be a buck passing session wasn't me guv :(
Maybe. Who knows. Just want an answer at this point so I can move on.
Have a strong case IMHO as car has only been jacked in two mainstream Pug dealers garages during its short life..

So looking for advice on typical timescales for warranty department response times.

A

Anonymous

To be honest, on this occasion, I'd be pursuing a claim with the garage for negligence rather than with Peugeot centrally.

stagger321

Reaction score
Ok folks - I thought I'd give an update.
Its taken a while - a lot, lot longer than I anticipated, but I finally have the car 'fixed' again.
With assistance (albeit fragmented/clunky) from Peugeot UK Customer Relations, the Dealer I bought the car from held their hands up and agreed to pay for the repairs (via a sister garage reasonably local to me). So in this case my persistence/patience paid off.

I got my R back today. I have posted before and after shots below from the worst of the two damaged jacking points (front offside)

Now we all know that the RCZ's jacking points are fabriqué à partir de fromage, and with the ease with which they fold leads me to assume the cheese selected was Camembert rather than a nice firm Cheddar.
Its an interesting repair (if you get off on that sort of stuff) in that my new lactose infused jacking point seems to have been wrapped in what looks like spare turkey foil from a forthcoming Xmas dinner.
In terms of the reconstructive work, its not the neatest job, but the sill looks 1000% better than before. :dance:

Before - offside right

............and after

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Great news mate, so pleased you managed to get the outcome you were looking for. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

This whole thing is totally out of order,you cant jack your car up for fear of damage?There must be some way that this forum can apply pressure on Peugeot.If as it seems to be, a design fault then Peugeot must accept responsibility.Its all members duty i think to get involved with this. :cry:

tianorth

Reaction score
On your last post (stagger321) with pics (the 1st pic), when I was going through the process of trying to get peugeot to tell me where was structurally safe to jack, my dealership's technician said those square boxes as suitable for jacking on.

I use these boxes for jacking up the front (as they are on the both sides), I use a suitable short length of 2" x 4" to go across both boxes (on each side).

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I do think that if all the members who have had issues with this particular fault could be contacted via this forum and organised into a single representation to Peugeot, it might possibly have some success. Individual attempts all seem to fail through one excuse or another on Peugeots part.

I think the problem is that undoubtably some mistakes have been made by owners/garages when jacking up their cars, which of course fuels Peugeots argument that it's not their fault. But I am absolutely certain that there is a design fault which needs to be addressed, but that can't happen until Peugeot acknowledge that the fault exists.

It doesn't matter how many people contact them individually, one single mass complaint would always be more effective, but that would take some considerable organising.

I suppose if anywhere, this forum is the place to do that.

Perhaps a moderator who has had this issue could get involved in trying to contact all members concerned.....

stagger321

Reaction score
tianorth said:
On your last post (stagger321) with pics (the 1st pic), when I was going through the process of trying to get peugeot to tell me where was structurally safe to jack, my dealership's technician said those square boxes as suitable for jacking on.

I use these boxes for jacking up the front (as they are on the both sides), I use a suitable short length of 2" x 4" to go across both boxes (on each side).
Hiya tianorth,

Its probably a good plan, with a caviat - and I say that because I have been informed by the head of the bodyshop that repaired my car that one of those pads is the lifting point for the car, not the jacking point.
He was very clear about the following - the jacking points that we all know of on the sill (i.e the dropped tabs that I got repaired) are ONLY to be used for jacking a corner of the car at a time - not for lifting the car, and yet I know that in some cases that what dealers service teams are doing - lifting on the sill tabs. That's probably how my car was damaged in the first place.
The lifting points, of which those pads you mention are for the front of the car, are for use with the recommended two post/4 point lifts that all Pug service centres use, and should only be used for taking the entire weight of the car according to him
This was a guy who worked at a college educating mechanics and had seen many hundreds of incorrectly jacked cars. He's the first guy I had spoken to who actually gave me confidence that he knew what he was talking about, when it came to this issue.

stagger321

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
I do think that if all the members who have had issues with this particular fault could be contacted via this forum and organised into a single representation to Peugeot, it might possibly have some success. Individual attempts all seem to fail through one excuse or another on Peugeots part.

I think the problem is that undoubtably some mistakes have been made by owners/garages when jacking up their cars, which of course fuels Peugeots argument that it's not their fault. But I am absolutely certain that there is a design fault which needs to be addressed, but that can't happen until Peugeot acknowledge that the fault exists.

It doesn't matter how many people contact them individually, one single mass complaint would always be more effective, but that would take some considerable organising.

I suppose if anywhere, this forum is the place to do that.

Perhaps a moderator who has had this issue could get involved in trying to contact all members concerned.....
DKZ - I totally agree.
Up to this point I have largely kept stum about how my repairs were going as I didn't want anything to jinx things.
Now I have a repaired car.
A car that very soon (in less than 2k miles) will need its first 12.5K/1yr service, and at some point after that a new set of tyres.
This is an issue that will affect us all - unless we are in the fortunate position to change our new cars every 12 months - an unlikely luxury for most of us I would say.
I'm glad you proposed this, and I absolutely want to be involved in getting this sorted. I think that the more of us get involved the better.
I have, while trying to get my issue resolved, been told by both dealers and Pug UK that this a 'new' issue - "Oh, never seen this before sir, its a new one on us". Clearly that is rubbish. Just read this forum thread.

So mods - how do we move forward here?
Dealers are blaming the customer or the Manufacturer, and the Manufacturer is blaming the dealers or the customer.
In most cases the customer ends up without a leg, or rather jacking point, to stand on.
We have a fundamental issue that could affect all owners at some point or other, yet the dealership chain and the Manufacturers are in complete denial about the issue. How do we progress things?

tianorth

Reaction score
stagger321 said:
The lifting points, of which those pads you mention are for the front of the car, are for use with the recommended two post/4 point lifts that all Pug service centres use, and should only be used for taking the entire weight of the car according to him
This was a guy who worked at a college educating mechanics and had seen many hundreds of incorrectly jacked cars. He's the first guy I had spoken to who actually gave me confidence that he knew what he was talking about, when it came to this issue.

The tech at my dealership said the only place to lift the vehicle at the rear is by the rear jacking points.

So how do you lift using a 2 or 4 post lift without using the jacking points?

If they can take the weight of the full car, shorly they can take a quarter of the weight of the vehicle.

tianorth

Reaction score
I'd be up for a mass informing of peugeot about weak jacking points.

Mine was front offside (right side). :( :brickwall:

A

Anonymous

As i suggested on my post earlier.. it is maybe something that this forum can help with,More important in the grand scheme of things than forming a chain and following each other about in the yorkshire dales.Maybe the Mods here can suggest a way to direct our anger at the culprits here... The manu.. not the individual owners.?