What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ R front discs and calipers

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Metals do distort, warp and lose shape with heat and force. Brake discs are no exception.

There's plenty examples out there of warped discs.

Sure. I was always relating to the Alcons on the RCZ R.
Other brands might fail.

Many years ago I had similar issues on my Honda Prelude. But also sorted it with proper bedding in and wise selection of brake pads.
Indeed, it is an annoying issue as most drivers just don't care (or just don't want to care) about proper bedding in.
I also do not care about bedding in the battery on a new phone because I know those gadgets are throw-away things after 2 years.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score

"Brembo" discs from Euro Car Parts.
Everyone I know that waved their willy around after having fitted them then moaned they'd warped within a year.

My cheap Blueprint ones? Absolutely no problem.

Kerr

Reaction score
Sure. I was always relating to the Alcons on the RCZ R.
Other brands might fail.

Many years ago I had similar issues on my Honda Prelude. But also sorted it with proper bedding in and wise selection of brake pads.
Indeed, it is an annoying issue as most drivers just don't care (or just don't want to care) about proper bedding in.
I also do not care about bedding in the battery on a new phone because I know those gadgets are throw-away things after 2 years.

My Alcons warped and nothing to do with bedding them in. A skim to remove the runout and they have been fine for the last few thousand miles. They are at minimum thickness now and I'll need to stump up for new ones.

Kerr

Reaction score
"Brembo" discs from Euro Car Parts.
Everyone I know that waved their willy around after having fitted them then moaned they'd warped within a year.

My cheap Blueprint ones? Absolutely no problem.

It was odd when Brembo appeared everywhere making budget discs. I've read that they are just branded and not made by them.

I've never had an issue with stuff I bought from ECP. I've went with Pagid the last few times I've had to change brakes.

The only other time I can think of having issues with discs was EBC. There was cracks appearing on the discs. They used to be popular for discs. It seems it's more pads these days.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
The brakes on my GT86 came from ECP on one of their many sales. Blueprint discs and Pagid pads.
Perfectly acceptable.

swisspilot101

Reaction score
When I got my R (second hand at 32'000km) I could feel light vibrations when braking. I do not notice this vibration when braking "moderately" though. But I presume this has to do with the aforementioned wrong bedding of the brakes? So, I should theoretically be able to get rid of these vibrations by going through the bedding process as linked earlier? I am someone who brakes rarely when using my car for daily commute. However, when I go for a ride in the alps, I really make use of the full potential of the brakes. Does this "driving" behaviour have detrimental effects on the brake's condition?

Pedro

Reaction score
Metals do distort, warp and lose shape with heat and force. Brake discs are no exception.

In 40 plus years of fitting brake discs & pads on a multitude of cars I have never come across a warped brake disc I have seen badly worn pads & scored discs
To warp a disc is a case of metal to metal friction so its the owner/driver who is at fault & not the components as they are made to exacting standards due to the fact the public safety depends on the stopping power of a vehicle & as the ratio of braking power is 80% front loading & 20% rear its obvious the front discs are going to be the ones taking most of the force so manufacturers are not allowed to diversify any metallurgical composition alterations to their products which must conform to the industries ISO safety standards

Kerr

Reaction score
In 40 plus years of fitting brake discs & pads on a multitude of cars I have never come across a warped brake disc I have seen badly worn pads & scored discs
To warp a disc is a case of metal to metal friction so its the owner/driver who is at fault & not the components as they are made to exacting standards due to the fact the public safety depends on the stopping power of a vehicle & as the ratio of braking power is 80% front loading & 20% rear its obvious the front discs are going to be the ones taking most of the force so manufacturers are not allowed to diversify any metallurgical composition alterations to their products which must conform to the industries ISO safety standards

How do you explain something like the video I posted above?

Lots of different companies make the discs for the same cars. If they were all made to the exact same specification and standards why are so many people convinced one brake disc is better than the next brand?

The quality of metals varies and even ones made to the exact same specification coming from the same supplier. The same material from a different supplier can be completely different and behave very differently. It's not that irregular to find that materials that have passed stringent tests aren't the spec they should be. Extreme faults are rarer.

Many things you'll buy are made to ISO standards. They still go wrong or aren't what they are supposed to be. I don't imagine that brake discs made in the usual cheap countries are manufactured to standards you'd hope.

A lot of people say warping doesn't happen. A lot of people argue the opposite. There is plenty of examples of discs being warped. People do jump the gun and blame warping for any brake faults which is wrong. That seems to strengthen the case that discs don't warp. However, there is plenty of genuine examples of discs warping.

Pedro

Reaction score
I still dispute the the discs would not get warped with the pads still intact & the amount of heat to cause warping would result in the pads disintegrating & the disc catching fire as has been proved in tests on heat destruction under severe force on the front braking components whilst on the vehicle so the only other explanation is that some aftermarket parts are made from cheap imported steel with a low carbon content as was discovered by the construction industry especially in the US & with mass marketing across the world being flooded with somewhat dubious manufactured stock who knows what your getting for your money in the modern world

Kerr

Reaction score
How does posting Audi's "quality" help RCZ R drivers?

It was merely one of many videos of a very warped disc.

I didn't think of filming my discs when doing them.

swisspilot101

Reaction score
And so it finally hit me as well with the replacement of front disks, pads plus calipers. You can imagine what that cost me. The pistons were corroded. On the inner side of the calipers, the pistons stopped moving and kept on slightly pressing the pad against the disc. The inner pads were completely worn off whilst the outher pads were almost like new. Same for the discs, which were completely worn down on the inside and still in good shape on the outside. I am still waiting for the calipers to arrive but have resaurted to buy the OE parts first and do a yearly clean up on the brake system including calipers/pistons to make sure they stay in shape. Should they corrode again, I'll get the stainless steel pistons. I still must say that I am surprised of the quality of the pistons... They seem to be the source of all problems in the brake system.

Attachments

• IMG_20201110_161850.jpg
    IMG_20201110_161850.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 34

swisspilot101

Reaction score
If I remember correctly Godspeed in the UK charge around £500 to get the calipers refurbished including stainless steel pistons and seals Caliper Service Items - Godspeed. This dealer in the UK looks to still be doing a sale for a pair for Alcon Peugeot RCZ 2009-2015 Front Brake Discs Alcon PSA 380 x 32 | 9813333180-080 RCZ
I'm aware, but living in Switzerland and the R being my daily, I'd rather have things sorted here at my local small garage who's done great works until now. But I'd surely go for the pistons from godspeed if needed.

indoldn

Reaction score
I'm aware, but living in Switzerland and the R being my daily, I'd rather have things sorted here at my local small garage who's done great works until now. But I'd surely go for the pistons from godspeed if needed.
Sorry, yes, forgot to say unfortunately no use for you as you are over in Switzerland. Hope you managed to get the discs at reasonable price there.

swisspilot101

Reaction score
Sorry, yes, forgot to say unfortunately no use for you as you are over in Switzerland. Hope you managed to get the discs at reasonable price there.
No worries. I ordered the discs and pads at fish brothers as they were quite a lot cheaper even with delivery costs than if I got them from a pog dealer in here.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
No worries. I ordered the discs and pads at fish brothers as they were quite a lot cheaper even with delivery costs than if I got them from a pog dealer in here.

Do not allow the pistons to be ever "clean". I mean, do not apply any wheel cleaners when cleaning the rims and keep them always coated with high temperature paste.
I did that for years and never had any issues with those OEM pistons.

BTW, those discs look horrible.

swisspilot101

Reaction score
Do not allow the pistons to be ever "clean". I mean, do not apply any wheel cleaners when cleaning the rims and keep them always coated with high temperature paste.
I did that for years and never had any issues with those OEM pistons.

BTW, those discs look horrible.
Noted, thanks!