What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ R front discs and calipers

apple3337

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a set of discs and pads from Fish Brothers as linked above. To confirm with you forum folk.
  1. Some early discs warped. Is that correct?
  2. What caused this?
  3. What did they change to fix it?
  4. Is there a way to tell the old design from the new?
I don't want to buy a set that are the previous version.

Thanks!

indoldn

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a set of discs and pads from Fish Brothers as linked above. To confirm with you forum folk.
  2. What caused this?

Thanks!

I don't have answers for your questions. However, from reading various posts definitely get your calipers refurbished if they are the original mild steel ones as they are tend to seize. Many seem to buy pistons and seals from Godspeed. Caliper Service Items - Godspeed

Also, RCZ-R posts here covered what he did to bed-in his discs. Might be of use though the 1st and 2nd links don't seem to work.

Pedro

Reaction score
Interesting thread about "Annealing the Brake discs" on the car although I doubt if the original fitted brakes would cause such problems if they were bedded in properly & to warp a set of discs would require tremendous heat stress to change the molecular structure of the steel which would render them lethally dangerous
I think part of the problem is the way the cars are driven from new I cannot see how PSA could sell cars with substandard parts ?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I fixed those links in my posts about the brakes.
The old links were not working because the forum was migrated to another destination without updating the existing links. Not a biggie as it is fixed now.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t think Alcon made any revised discs for the R, the common complaint from owners were that they were squealing which I’ve heard is common on race spec brakes, but don’t quote me on that 😉 I think when R owners found out that Peugeot would replace R discs under warranty most owners wanted a new set. I don’t know if there were any specs to weather they were changed or not but I don’t know any owners who were refused.
And I don’t think Mtec made and R discs.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
  2. What caused this?

Thanks!

Never had issues called as "warped discs" on several sets on those brakes. This thing called "warped discs" is something different and it is tied to the way how you treat your brake discs. The bigger those, the more prone they are to mistreatment.
To my knowledge the only change in regards of RCZ-R brakes was a change of the brake pads from Performance Friction to Ferrodo during 2014. Both pads worked well with the Alcon discs. I think they've changed them because some users had issues with squealing noises when breaking from low speeds.

Flanners

Reaction score
got the definitive from Mtec they say they are not making them

As for warped discs apparently as RCZ-R alludes to above this is a misnomer and it is usually down to pad material on the disc surface not a warping of the disc itself?

I have Brembo calipers on 2 cars and depending on pad choice/compound they can squeal real bad, heard squealing brakes on TVRs, Lotus, Jags etc

Last edited:

Kerr

Reaction score
I warped my discs. They were pretty worn, but still above minimum thickness.

Due to Coronavirus I skimmed them waiting to see what was going on.

I wasn't planning on the R this long, but I'll need to bite the bullet and buy discs.

Marmite

Reaction score
got the definitive from Mtec they say they are not making them

As for warped discs apparently as RCZ-R alludes to above this is a misnomer and it is usually down to pad material on the disc surface not a warping of the disc itself?

I have Brembo calipers on 2 cars and depending on pad choice/compound they can squeal real bad, heard squealing brakes on TVRs, Lotus, Jags etc
Why all the ball shit why not just be straight , well done for getting the truth out of them iv bought some brembo pads but haven’t fitted the because when I took the pads out there was plenty of meat left on them

Flanners

Reaction score
yes I don't understand..........been fobbing me off for nigh on 18months.

Kerr

Reaction score
What brake pads are people going with?

Kerr

Reaction score
I ordered OEM from Fish Bros. Just because I figure if the factory pairs a particular pad with those discs they must be the correct option. And my mechanic just said go with the OEM.

What are the OEM pads?

I'm looking at Ferrodo DS2500 or EBC Yellow Stuff.

A lot of people rate yellow stuff on other cars. I'll be honest and say I wasn't impressed when I bought EBC discs before. They cracked very early in their life.

apple3337

Reaction score
What are the OEM pads?

I'm looking at Ferrodo DS2500 or EBC Yellow Stuff.

OEM = original equipment manufacturer. IE: In this case Peugeot pads. Even though they are reported to be made by Ferodo by someone here.
Ferodo DS2500 are pretty popular here in Oz with the Renault Sport crowd. RS Meganes and Clio's.

Kerr

Reaction score
OEM = original equipment manufacturer. IE: In this case Peugeot pads. Even though they are reported to be made by Ferodo by someone here.
Ferodo DS2500 are pretty popular here in Oz with the Renault Sport crowd. RS Meganes and Clio's.

I was meaning who made the OEM pads. 😃

I've read Ferodo too, but they won't be the DS2500?

Flanners

Reaction score
Some have fitted Textar pads available from ECP for around £50-60, or as low as £39 on eBay.

Not sure of Textar actual compound etc but German company supply for many OE manufacturers including BMW Porsche etc and the one's that fit the R are made in GB for Alcon 380mm so for the R and also used for Jaguar XKR Alcon rear. Tempted as and when as I am not being fleeced for 'performance' pads or the dealer supplied mark-up when only use the car on the road and these are OE spec

Alcon site re 'warped discs' THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT WARPED BRAKE ROTORS..

Last edited:

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Finally.
I have been preaching the same thing about so-called "warped discs" year after year. But internet forums wisdoms are hard to fight with.
Some guys over here event went for the Tarox discs instead because they would not be prone to "warping". I bet they still did.
I will say it once again: it is due to the wrong bedding of the new disc+pad. Also using "wrong" pads on the disc will lead to the hot spots on the disc. But even that can be cured when appropriate pads are fitted to "warped" discs.

And one more thing: the Alcons ain't shitty BMW brakes. So yes, there are some brands which are prone to overheating and creating those hot spots where brake pad material transfer happened.

Kerr

Reaction score
Finally.
I have been preaching the same thing about so-called "warped discs" year after year. But internet forums wisdoms are hard to fight with.
Some guys over here event went for the Tarox discs instead because they would not be prone to "warping". I bet they still did.
I will say it once again: it is due to the wrong bedding of the new disc+pad. Also using "wrong" pads on the disc will lead to the hot spots on the disc. But even that can be cured when appropriate pads are fitted to "warped" discs.

And one more thing: the Alcons ain't shitty BMW brakes. So yes, there are some brands which are prone to overheating and creating those hot spots where brake pad material transfer happened.

Metals do distort, warp and lose shape with heat and force. Brake discs are no exception.

There's plenty examples out there of warped discs.