What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Is it safe to change the Cam Chain Tensioner?

lfe

Reaction score
The washer was and is positioned superimposed as in your left drawing although its outer diameter is much smaller. Attached photo of the old tensioner with washer.

As I said before there was no other washer on the engine block.

I just took out a tensioner with its washer and put a new one with its new washer, that's all.

If once you took out a tensioner without a washer, it's very probably because it was installed without it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230312_133956.jpg
    IMG_20230312_133956.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 8

MJZ

Reaction score
The washer was and is positioned superimposed as in your left drawing although its outer diameter is much smaller. Attached photo of the old tensioner with washer.

As I said before there was no other washer on the engine block.

I just took out a tensioner with its washer and put a new one with its new washer, that's all.

If once you took out a tensioner without a washer, it's very probably because it was installed without it.
Looks like my tensioner was put in without a washer...I put it back as I found it...it’s working fine...I guess mine is in, the width of the washer, further! Can that really make a difference....no oil leaks 🤔

MJZ

Reaction score
Looks like my tensioner was put in without a washer...I put it back as I found it...it’s working fine...I guess mine is in, the width of the washer, further! Can that really make a difference....no oil leaks 🤔
Thanks Ife......you’ve been extremely helpful....very much appreciated......

Hearn

Reaction score
Yes….absolutely….just started to hear the death rattle on start up…it lasted about 30 seconds…now no problem at all and the tensioner I took out was clearly faulty…it wouldn’t compress like the new one. I got mine from autodoc.uk ….Peugeot don’t make them, that’s straight from them…they’re made in asia and Come with a part number stamped on the head….it’s not difficult to do just very awkward….good luck….
Hi, I hope you don't mind that I am asking exactly the same question that you initially did. Did you simply unscrew the old tensioner and replace it with a new one?

MJZ

Reaction score
Hi Hearn…..yep, as simple as that….unscrew the old and remove…..replace with new and tighten up….mines still running fine….no noises….🤞

Hearn

Reaction score
Hi Hearn…..yep, as simple as that….unscrew the old and remove…..replace with new and tighten up….mines still running fine….no noises….🤞
Thanks so much for the clarity. Much appreciated.

lfe

Reaction score

Same for me, since then I have never heard the rattle again.