What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

How many with Clutch problems?

A

Anonymous

Well my 200 never had any clutch vibration or any other problems. RCZ's are so unreliable ;). I must have had the only properly built 200 outta magna styner or wot ever there called.

A

Anonymous

bigmac3161 said:
Well my 200 never had any clutch vibration or any other problems. RCZ's are so unreliable ;).

I know what you big un, you just can't get em to break down or even develop a fault :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

I would say the Z is the most reliable car I have had. Use it all the time and not any anything major. Just the odd niggle.

A

Anonymous

Hi, apologies in advance as i am new to the forum after only picking my rcz up the middle of last week! It too has a vibrating/rattling noise when pulling away in 1st and at the beginning of 2nd, very irritating! whats the risk on it failing or what is the best way to approach Peugeot about it?

A

Anonymous

Hi all
I have a 308 GTi with the THP 200 engine - had to have my clutch and dual mass flywheel replaced at about 83k (51k miles). I was told that I'm very lucky as they go on average at about 21k miles. The issue started with a knocking noise when the car was stationary, out of gear and idling. The knocking would stop as soon as you put your foot on the clutch paddle. Noise became worse over time, although the overall performance of the car was not impacted.

Dealer told me that the dual mass setup helped with vibration etc, but that they are not very reliable...hmmm?
Apparantly our cars need to be driven differantly...when stationary at traffic lights, neutral and foot of clutch paddle. When in stop/start rush hour traffic, try and keep car in neutral and foot of clutch paddle as much as possible. If you hear any noises as explained above - get it checked ASAP - if left the DMF can break off parts that can end up within the gearbox.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

2010 GT THP 200 with approx 93k. Have had an occasional resonating/vibrating noise from the front of the car for the last few months that I could only best describe as a dragging brake pad from a standing start.

This morning on a steep hill I held the car in place in first gear without the handbrake and was able to get the noise to happen while the car felt like it was stationary.

Fear it is the clutch. Out of factory warranty but did get extended warranty.

It goes in Friday.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Clutches have a very small warranty period. So most likely wouldnt be covered if it is the problem.

A

Anonymous

As above there have been folks on here with car still in original manufacturers warranty that had to pay for new clutch :(

A

Anonymous

frankvdb said:
Be aware that the car has hill start assist so may be holding the brake itself in such situations.
So you may be hearing your brakes.

Thanks, definitly not the hill start assist because I know what that feels like. I was also there for a good 10+ seconds trying to make sure I was only holding it on the slope with the clutch.

Not holding much hope on warranty.

Sigh.

A

Anonymous

Glenn,

I've been getting the same problem I think. It's almost like a humming noise at the biting point when pulling away in traffic? Hard to describe but like you said, it sounds like it's a sticking brake but it isn't that.

Let me know what the garage say? I'm fearing it's a new clutch :-/ It's very intermittent and I can avoid it happening if I lift off the clutch a hair more quickly and pull away faster.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Willfox1983 said:
Glenn,

I've been getting the same problem I think. It's almost like a humming noise at the biting point when pulling away in traffic? Hard to describe but like you said, it sounds like it's a sticking brake but it isn't that.

You've described it pretty well, Will. Doesn't happen on every start, but when it does it is just like you say. Currently there is a new clutch, flywheel and associated parts on order - Looking at a hair over $3,000AUD.

A

Anonymous

Jesus :-/ Is it safe to leave it as is, until the issue becomes more frequent?

A

Anonymous

Mate don't know, not even 100% sure it is the clutch, but it HAS been becoming more frequent and I don't need something coming apart in the engine...

A

Anonymous

Hi I have the same intermittent problem starting in first gear. It makes a sound like rubbing your finger round the rim of a glass. I have booked it in for 3 days to get it sorted under warranty because it has been doing it off and on since I bought it second hand last May.

An update. My local dealer could not replicate the noise apparently, after having the car for 3 days. When I picked the car up I moved into slow moving traffic and it made the noise 3 times in the space of 50 yards!! Really frustrating. The dealer I bought it from suggests I contact Peugeot directly - so what are they going to say??

RCZ GT THP 200 Jan 2013 22K miles Moroccan red

Further update - car now out of extended 4th year warranty and still they can't replicate or cure the problem!!

I now have a separate problem with the temperature gauge. It warms up to normal, then when I accelerate it drops back down again. Probably a faulty sensor, but can do without the hassle and cost to repair.

A

Anonymous

john1952 said:
It makes a sound like rubbing your finger round the rim of a glass. I have booked it in for 3 days to get it sorted under warranty because it has been doing it off and on since I bought it second hand last May.

This is a really good description, not high pitched like crystal, like around the rim of a thicker glass.

Hadn't heard it for a while and thought maybe it was going away, but this morning while deliberately holding the car on a slight incline with just the clutch the sound started after about a minute, and the car was definitely not moving forward or backwards.

My wife reports it happens with her more often, I would describe her use of the clutch as a little more aggressive than me.

Still another week or so before the parts arrive.

A

Anonymous

Got the car back today:

Removed gearbox and inspected and found clutch worn and mass flywheel has play
Fitted new flywheel and clutch, refitted gearbox and roadtested OK.
Parts listed were: Clutch kit, slave cyl stop(?), crankshaft seal, and dual flywheel

Came in at $2,700AUD but this was also, apparently, at car leasing rates - original quote was over $3k.

It was still infrequent so hadn't been getting "worse", though wife reported hearing it more often than me, so if I don't hear it in a month I'll call it good.

A

Anonymous

Hey Glenn,
you will have to let me know how you get along after replacing it all as I am also in Canberra. As my clutch is a bit funny and pulses quite a bit when I have it pressed in. I can not tell if I have noises or not. But only covered 56xxx ks.

Also does yours manage to act like an auto? Rolling around back streets in 3rd gear with no throttle being used mine will drive forever at about 26kmph. In car parks it will sometimes drive with no pedals being touched in 1st, then sometimes it will bunnyhop along if you are using 5% throttle.

A

Anonymous

Well the clutch is starting to do the noise again barely 20k later.

Cursing myself after not getting rid of it a couple of months ago after the fuel pump left us limping back to the dealership. And a fuel injector a couple months before that.

Hate this car now.