What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

GUIDE: Updating the firmware, maps and installing risk areas (RADARs) on NG4

NF7

Reaction score
The previous guide is a little bit old so I decided to update it with the latest possible FW, latest maps, and updated risk areas.

LATEST FIRMWARE: N42c (final update - SatNav support discontinued after 2016).
LATEST MAPS: EUROPE 2023-1 (For Eastern Europe (maps 2020-2) use this
LINK)
LATEST RISK AREAS/RADARS: EU RADARS 2023.8 (AUGUST 2023 Update)

All files are available in their respective parts of the guide.

UPDATING THE FIRMWARE

1. Check your installed firmware version via SETUP -> Settings -> Version Information
2. If you see N42c anywhere in the presented firmware version you already have the latest firmware and you do not need to update it. You can move to the MAP updating part of the guide. If you do not have the latest version, proceed to step 3.
3. Download this file: LINK
4. Prepare USB 32GB or SD CARD formatted as FAT32, 64KB Cluster size.

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU FORMAT VIA WINDOWS AND DO NOT USE QUICK FORMAT. The regular format will take more time, but it is absolutely necessary.

5. Extract the downloaded file and put all files into the ROOT of the USB/SD CARD. Enable in Windows to view "hidden files" and check if any file other than that of the firmware generated in the root of the USB / SD CARD. If you see any "rogue" files, delete them.
6. Turn on the car. Keep it running and insert the USB or SD CARD into their locations (SD CARD in front of the Console, USB under the armrest).
7. If you followed the guide the NG4 system will automatically detect and prompt you to start the update. Click yes on the console and wait for it to finish.

KEEP THE CAR RUNNING UNTIL IN FINISHES WITH THE UPDATE. You do not want the car to turn off and cancel the update. It could destroy your system.

8. When the NG4 resets check the firmware version again. If you see N42c the update was successful.

UPDATING THE MAPS

1. Download this file: LINK (2023-1 with original 2016 POI from PSA).

2. Prepare USB 32GB or SD CARD formatted as FAT32, 64KB Cluster size.

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU FORMAT VIA WINDOWS AND DO NOT USE QUICK FORMAT. The regular format will take more time, but it is absolutely necessary.

3. Extract all files from the ZIP file to the ROOT of the USB / SD CARD. Enable in Windows to view "hidden files" and check if any file other than that of the map files included in the ZIP file generated in the root of the USB / SD CARD. If you see any "rogue" files, delete them.

This is how your USB / SD Stick should look like after copying the files (everything should be the same, except the last file which is from the 2020 maps):
Capture.png

4. Turn on the car. Keep it running and insert the USB or SD CARD into their locations (SD CARD in front of the Console, USB under the armrest).
5. If you did everything correctly, the NG4 will recognize the new maps automatically and prompt you to start the update. It takes around 40-50 minutes. It is advised to drive around with the car in the meantime.

KEEP THE CAR RUNNING UNTIL IT FINISHES WITH THE UPDATE. You do not want the car to turn off and cancel the update. It could destroy your system.

5.1. If during the update the error 0x26E appears, just press "OK" and wait for the system to restart (leave the key or SD card connected) and it will continue the update.

6. When it finishes, it will prompt you to press OK and remove the USB/SD CARD. Remove it and ONLY THEN press OK. After the NG4 System resets check the map version via SETUP -> When in the setup menu LONG PRESS SETUP -> GPS Information -> Map Versions. You should see "NG4 EUROPE 2023-Version-1.0".

UPDATING THE RISK AREAS

1. Download this file: LINK
2. Prepare USB 32GB or SD CARD formatted as FAT32, 64KB Cluster size.

3. Extract all files from the ZIP file to the ROOT of the USB / SD CARD. Enable in Windows to view "hidden files" and check if any file other than that of the files included in the risk areas ZIP file generated in the root of the USB / SD CARD. If you see any "rogue" files, delete them.
4. Turn on the car and go to NAVIGATION -> SETTINGS -> IMPORT MY POINTS OF INTEREST
5. Select the Media you used (USB or SD CARD) and press YES to validate, that it will overwrite all previous risk areas.
6. After it finishes with the installation of risk areas (takes approx 10 seconds) a message appears to confirm a restart of the NG4 system and to remove the USB/SD CARD. Remove and press OK.
7. When the NG4 System restarts, all you have to do is to enable the risk areas/radars alerts in the Navigation menu. SETTINGS -> RISK AREA SETTINGS -> ENABLE all options.
8. You can check the latest risk areas/radars update in the same menu, that you used to check the MAP Version.

CAUTION. Proceed with every step at your own risk. It is extremely dangerous and it can destroy your NG4 system. No one on this forum or the forum itself is responsible for the caused damage and possible expenses.

I managed to install everything in one afternoon with no issues (my car is RCZ 2013 model). Take your time, follow the steps and it should be fine.

EDIT: Updated the link for the maps and updated the guide a bit - added a photo of how should USB / SD Card root directory look like after copying the files.
EDIT 2: Added the link for Eastern Europe maps - maps from 2020 (Courtesy of Ross_Russev)
EDIT #: Updated the links for MAPS and RISK AREAS - due to new updates.

Last edited:

turboguy

Reaction score
hidden file.pngIs it this part to view hidden?

or is this the bit regarding enabling hidden files to be viewed?hidden 2.png

Last edited:

NF7

Reaction score
No. You have to enable to show "Hidden files" in this menu.

As I see, you are viewing the properties of the downloaded file. The only hidden files you should be concerned with, are those that are NOT copied by you onto the SD CARD or USB Stick. So just extract the files you downloaded and copy them as extracted to the USB STICK / SD CARD, afterwards enable that hidden files are visible and check if anything was created on the SD CARD / USB STICK that you did not copy (sometimes Windows creates some folders).

Attachments

• img_58b9e88bf3ae8.png
    img_58b9e88bf3ae8.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 85

matheu

Reaction score
Thx for the excellent info.
Only I am not able to download the maps zip file (not found).
Can you supply a working link?

NF7

Reaction score
Thx for the excellent info.
Only I am not able to download the maps zip file (not found).
Can you supply a working link?
Will try to provide a new link this afternoon.

EDIT: The previous file was deleted. Here is the new link Maps_NG4_2021_1 (8,28 GB compressed, 12,9GB extracted).

Last edited:

Ross_Russev

Reaction score
Thanks for the guide, just one quick question - in the maps folder, there's _MACOSX folder - I presume I don't need the contents of that - only the files in the Cartes_NG4_2021_1 folder, right?

NF7

Reaction score
Thanks for the guide, just one quick question - in the maps folder, there's _MACOSX folder - I presume I don't need the contents of that - only the files in the Cartes_NG4_2021_1 folder, right?
No. That map is created automatically by MACOSX when compiling the zip file.

Only copy the contents of the Cartes_NG4_2021_1 folder.

Look at the attached image to see, how the files on your USB / SD CARD should look like.

Attachments

• Capture.png
    Capture.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 108

Ross_Russev

Reaction score
Thanks, got it. By the way, in the Cartes_NG4_2021_1 folder, there's an extra file called .DS_Store - will remove it, as you said and leave only the ones from the screenshot you provided ( downloaded the zip file from your second link and this one was in there too - just to let you know)

Reactions: NF7

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Good instructions!
Especially about formatting the data device. That is quite important.

I can recall running all those updates my NG4. It took the system between an hour and sometimes 2 to finish the update. Usually I did some B road blasts while it processed. Sometimes it did stop with an error but after restart it continued where it left.

Are those new NG4 maps coming from BMW?
Recently I've heard someone downported the BMW maps to be working on PSA devices (the NG4). Because official support for the NG4 ceased back in 2019.

Ross_Russev

Reaction score
Yes. From the looks of it, its a hidden file. Just delete those.
Deleted it, update of maps took about 30 minutes while driving, and software - about 15 minutes. All is fine and running smoothly - big thanks!
One thing thou - Bluetooth of the NG4 doesn't support audio streaming, right - only phone calls?

NF7

Reaction score
Deleted it, update of maps took about 30 minutes while driving, and software - about 15 minutes. All is fine and running smoothly - big thanks!
One thing thou - Bluetooth of the NG4 doesn't support audio streaming, right - only phone calls?
Glad to know it works for you.
Sadly yes. Only BT phone calls on NG4.

I use this: BT 5.1 3.5mm audio cable Adapter Bluetooth 5.1 Audio Receiver Dual Output AUX USB Stereo Car Hands-free Call Up to 10m / 33ft

AUX cable put through the mid console and connected to the USB under the armrest. The BT automatically connects when starting the car, and automatically switches with NG4 for phone calls. Next best thing - although only allows volume control on the steering wheel controls.

NF7

Reaction score
Good instructions!
Especially about formatting the data device. That is quite important.

I can recall running all those updates my NG4. It took the system between an hour and sometimes 2 to finish the update. Usually I did some B road blasts while it processed. Sometimes it did stop with an error but after restart it continued where it left.

Are those new NG4 maps coming from BMW?
Recently I've heard someone downported the BMW maps to be working on PSA devices (the NG4). Because official support for the NG4 ceased back in 2019.
I believe these maps are BMW 2021-1 version. No official NG4 support anymore yes - NG4 with all its features is sadly a very outdated SatNav.

Ross_Russev

Reaction score
Sadly for me, I ran into an issue - no matter what address I give I receive the message: data invalid as destination :( I don't believe, that having the Risk Areas not being updated has anything to do with this.
Any advise?

Last edited:

NF7

Reaction score
Sadly for me, I ran into an issue - no matter what address I give I receive the message: data invalid as destination :( I don't believe, that having the Risk Areas not being updated has anything to do with this.
Any advise?
Is this the same for any address you try? Even if you try an address in Austria perhaps? Can you post a video.

Ross_Russev

Reaction score
Will try to upload a video later, but yes, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria and UK - all the same error. What I noticed is that when I launch the navi just to see the map - the only thing I see are highways / roundabouts. No boulevards, streets etc.
Edit: In map versions, I see this second row with a dash on it - don't know if it's normal or not?

Attachments

• 16220504958506066700823679595789.jpg
    16220504958506066700823679595789.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 16220505371402060066656649148601.jpg
    16220505371402060066656649148601.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 16220524551974438952842320539182.jpg
    16220524551974438952842320539182.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

NF7

Reaction score
Will try to upload a video later, but yes, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria and UK - all the same error. What I noticed is that when I launch the navi just to see the map - the only thing I see are highways / roundabouts. No boulevards, streets etc.
Edit: In map versions, I see this second row with a dash on it - don't know if it's normal or not?
Thanks, I'll check on my SatNav tomorrow. But I think the dash should not be there, at least for me it isn't there. My second line is Risk Areas. I'll post my settings tomorrow afternoon. Almost looks like your risk areas did not install properly. Try installing it again.

Ross_Russev

Reaction score
I haven't installed the risk areas, but do you think, that the issue with the map / addresses itself can be from this?
I found a threat in another forum ( Citroen, that uses the same NG4 model ) that the maps from BMW are divided into East / West Europe and you can use only one at the time - but not both - could this be it? For example - can you tell the navigation to guide you to some address in east Europe?
Edit: Updated the Risk Areas and now I have 2 dashes and navigation ain't loading :)

Attachments

• 16220552855431158562535063045537.jpg
    16220552855431158562535063045537.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 1622055301904821877101187843493.jpg
    1622055301904821877101187843493.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

NF7

Reaction score
I haven't installed the risk areas, but do you think, that the issue with the map / addresses itself can be from this?
I found a threat in another forum ( Citroen, that uses the same NG4 model ) that the maps from BMW are divided into East / West Europe and you can use only one at the time - but not both - could this be it? For example - can you tell the navigation to guide you to some address in east Europe?
Edit: Updated the Risk Areas and now I have 2 dashes and navigation ain't loading :)
This makes no sense to me. I'm really puzzled about this right now. I'll check tomorrow, but the maps originate from here I believe (2021 Sat Nav Map Discs | Sat Nav Update) and Bulgaria is listed among the supported countries.