What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Gap Insurance

RCZ1

Reaction score
Right I've made this subject a Sticky as I think it's an important subject and could save our members some money into the bargain. I've merged most of the topics on GAP insurance into this Sticky so that it can used as a quick and easy reference.

A

Anonymous

rjc813 said:
I got mine for £120 for 3 years, exactly the same cover that peugeot were offering for £300!

I had mine for around the same price FROM Peugeot :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I have always viewed GAP as being a con. My car insurance policy is 1st year new for old as standard. Beyond that I generally don't own the car so its not an issue.

I guess it's like anything you assess the risk personally and decide what you are prepared to pay for.

A

Anonymous

Hi,
We took gap insurance, for a year, on our new 407 when we bought it on Oct 5th 2006. It was the first time we had ever taken it, and it was almost £300 but we didn't know much about shopping around. On Oct 5th 2007, my husband was driving to work. He had to cross a major road - a 'crooked crossroads' - which meant waiting on the crown of a very fast road to turn right. He was hit from behind by a lorry and propelled head-on into a car coming the opposite direction. It was a fairly major accident - he was knocked out after hitting his head and our 15yr old daughter suffered a back injury and friction burns from the seatbelt, as well as a dislocated shoulder. She was taken out on a back board and they were both hospitalised. The driver he hit was also concussed. Both cars were wrecked, although in hindsight the car crumpled where it was meant to, while the passenger compartment remained intact, thankfully.
Our insurance company offered us £7000 inside a few days, for a one year old car for which we had paid almost 15K. I was less than happy and asked my solicitor brother to look at it. If there is one thing I learned it is that Joe or Jo Bloggs have no clout with insurance companies. Our company (one of the best known underwriters) immediately upped the offer to £8500 once he got involved. At that point we decided to look at the Gap insurance.
The gap insurance company immediately began to argue that the gap insurance was only valid for a year, and therefore we were out of time. Again with legal help, the case continued to be argued for several months. Areas of dispute included the spelling of my first name (it's Irish, but I'm in NI), date of birth being wrong on the insurance document ( it was my responsibility to check it was correct), and the thorny business of 'a year'. In the event, after a lot of legal wrangling, which involved a QC, the Gap insurance company accepted that the car had been insured from 5pm on 5/10/06, and damaged beyond repair at 8am on 5/10/07. Our solicitor provided the insurance company with three 'new for old' quotations, our original dealer was deemed to be the best, and we took possession of a brand new 407.
It was a salutary experience for us, and we had no hesitation taking the dealer's gap insurance with our new RCZ. I know I probably could have got it cheaper elsewhere, but at least I know with that company, all the corners are covered. It took my husband a year to recover full mental capacity; our daughter recovered quickly and has no ill effects. I reckon they were lucky to be in so safe a car!

ksb

Reaction score
It's huge testament to modern engineering that such a severe sounding accident resulted in full recoveries of all concerned, and I continue to hear stories where Peugeot cars have endured well in big collisions. Which is reassuring as we own 2 of them ;)

I wouldn't hesitate with GAP insurance and when ordering my RCZ yesterday I was happy to take the dealer, which oddly upped the guaranteed future value on PCP and cancelled itself out nicely ;)

A

Anonymous

I took the GAP insurance as well and was charged £399 for 3 years and gap cover of £20,000. No idea if this is good or bad but as I was getting a reasonable deal on the car I was happy to pay it. Hopefully will never have to use it.

RCZ1

Reaction score
scottwb said:
I took the GAP insurance as well and was charged £399 for 3 years and gap cover of £20,000. No idea if this is good or bad but as I was getting a reasonable deal on the car I was happy to pay it. Hopefully will never have to use it.

It seems excessive to me. I'm sure you would have got it cheaper on line, as I did, but at least you have it :)

A

Anonymous

I got mine from autotrader (ala insurance)
Maximum Benefit: £20,000.00
Vehicle Make: PEUGEOT Model: PEUGEOT RCZ GT HDI
Cover Start Date: 05 May 2011 Cover End Date: 04 May 2015
Total Premium: £219.00

Was much cheaper than other quotes I received at the time.
If you have just purchased your insurance, there is probably a cool off period where you can cancel it if you decide to look around...

A

Anonymous

I also had had an email which arrived after I had purchased my gap insurance...
but for those interested it was titled:

GAP Insurance
The dealer rip off exposed!

'Rip off Britain', a BBC consumer advice programme ran an article recently, exposing how dealers are ripping off consumers by charging exorbitant premiums for GAP Insurance.

Click this youtube link to view the article and find out how to get a better deal on your GAP Insurance.
http://www.ala.co.uk/video.php

YouTube link direct: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf_8z4W6VrI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You can judge for yourself.

A

Anonymous

jc73uk said:

If you have just purchased your insurance, there is probably a cool off period where you can cancel it if you decide to look around...

Thanks for the info, it is a lot cheaper, but I'm just going to go with the dealer offer - I saved a good chunk on the list and got a good p/x for my Lexus so can't really complain if they try and claw a little back :D

A

Anonymous

scottwb said:
jc73uk said:

Thanks for the info, it is a lot cheaper, but I'm just going to go with the dealer offer - I saved a good chunk on the list and got a good p/x for my Lexus so can't really complain if they try and claw a little back :D

Your choice, but you could get an extra year or 2 for much cheaper. Not sure if gap is transferable between sellers, if you sell your car before it expires.
You don't owe your dealer anything! So don't think you should be paying a higher premium for less! Madness!!
But always check terms and conditions before cancelling and swapping to ensure you are still eligible if taking out another policy. There may be time restrictions to get insurance set up after purchase.

RCZ1

Reaction score
If you go with ala, you can transfer your policy to your new car, if you change cars sometime during the length of your policy.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
If you go with ala, you can transfer your policy to your new car, if you change cars sometime during the length of your policy.
Correct. I did just that from Pearl to Pearl2. No administration fees simply a slightly higher premium due to the higher specced, higher valued Pearl2 :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I was in two kinds whether to take it out or not. I was concious that the dealer would be on commission and it might not necessarily be what I needed. I decided to take it out in the end.

RCZ1

Reaction score
TH222 said:
I was in two kinds whether to take it out or not. I was concious that the dealer would be on commission and it might not necessarily be what I needed. I decided to take it out in the end.

It's definitely worth having but I would consider buying it on line NOT from your dealer, as they are on commission for selling it and you can get it considerably cheaper elsewhere for the same or better cover :)

A

Anonymous

TH222 said:
Personally I think that it is a good thing to have. However as usual with all these things the dealer is the last place to get it from/through,

A

Anonymous

I have not read the thread so please excuse me if this has been said.

There are more than one type of gap, but the best by far is the one that takes the payout value to the same as the invoice value. I.e

You pay £30k
Insurance company gives you £15k
The gap company gives you £15k

And my advice. Don't get it from the dealership. Try these. Very good.

Dhttp://www.ala.co.uk/honestjohngap/

A

Anonymous

I am going to get my GAP insurance online this time, as last time didn't understand so went with dealership. What is the best way to go 'Back to Invoice Plus' or 'Vehicle Replacement Plus'. I am looking also at Honest John (ALA), and for back to Invoice premium is £129 and Vehicle Replacement is £187.01. What did you both go for RCZ1 and Ron