What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Fuel

A

Anonymous

Oh...worth mentioning though that I also recently upgraded the oil and this may result in some of what I have been experiencing.

RCZ1

Reaction score
mrizzle said:
It's hard to say RCZ1 without some way to measure it. However, I would say that it genuinely feels as though the car has an improved pick up/less lag and with the in-gear acceleration. I can't test this to prove (or disprove) this but I trust my feelings.

Well I thought I could compare performance /consumption to Pearl. I will be driving the same roads most of the time that I did in Pearl and the same sort of mileage. It's as close to a like for like as I can get I think and bear in mind that Ruby's mpg won't settle down until at least 1000 miles or so.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Well I thought I could compare performance /consumption to Pearl. I will be driving the same roads most of the time that I did in Pearl and the same sort of mileage. It's as close to a like for like as I can get I think and bear in mind that Ruby's mpg won't settle down until at least 1000 miles or so.
Personally, I think that your fuel consumption will continue to improve up to around about the 10,000 mile mark

RCZ1

Reaction score
Your right Ron but the fuel consumption tends to settle down and give you a truer picture of is consumption after the first 1000 miles.

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
Ok...so...this debate had me intrigued as to whether or not I had been wrong in my thinking and my judgement clouded so I decided to try and conduct my own little test and here's what I found.

I ran my tank to 5 miles from empty to try and get my supermarket fuel as low as possible. I then filled the tank up to fuel using Shell V Power (98 RON) ahead of driving to St Andrews and back on a mini break and back with mrs Rizzle. This is a distance of around 175 miles there and back travelling, for the most part, on national speed limit dual carriageways and national speed limit B roads. What I quickly noticed was an improvement in the responsiveness of the car and in the fuel consumption which leapt up from my disconcertingly low 32 mpg (still need to get this checked out) to figures up in the 45mpg range. Now, I generally drive at the speed limit plus 10% (sorry to those that that offends) on 70mph roads. I was hugely impressed by the predicted remaining range when we returned. Since returning I have been driving a little on B roads but, for the most part, in and across the city where I tend to drive in 30/40/50mph zones and in the usual traffic conditions for a city. I have subsequently also watched my fuel consumption fall...and fall...and fall (as to be expected).

I have filled up again to a second full of V Power and my fuel consumption seems to have settled at around the 34.4/8mpg mark. This is still an improvement in miles returned by tank and I do still feel the car is a little more responsive than it was with supermarket fuel. However, I haven't yet done the maths to work out if that's actually meant that it's more economical to use this fuel despite its significantly higher cost. However, I suspect not particularly with supermarkets announcing and introducing price cuts from 2-3p per litre. I think (and this is very approximate) that I'd need to see a return of 4-5 miles greater per tank for V Power (or similar 98 RON fuel) to make financial sense. I would say though that the car definitely does feel better/more responsive using a higher grade fuel...but is that enough when fuel costs such a premium and there is a war on fuel being waged?!

*Disclaimer - this was written on my phone and, if I'm honest, I can't be bothered proof reading it all so please ignore any predictive text errors etc*

Good test, try it for another tank or two and let us know how it goes!

A

Anonymous

Matt its not worth it its far too expensive l average 42 mpg in all driving conditions bar long inner city driving expense out numbers the gains mate what's the difference a litre 6/7 p a lot over a year.

A

Anonymous

Super unleaded over here is 12p a litre dearer that's a extra fiver a tank no thanks

A

Anonymous

It's generally about 7p a litre more here in Aberdeen than 95 RON fuel at a Shell garage but about 9p a litre more (at present post price slash) than 95 RON supermarket fuel. At current estimate it isn't returning a high enough improvement on my mpg return to work out as being cost efficient...at least not in urban driving conditions. I'll try a further tank and see if that yields any improvements in my mpg return but it seems to have settled now at 34.4mpg which is around a 1.9mpg improvement. Needs to be about 5mpg better to be more cost effective. As I say though, the car does feel more responsive. Not convinced that this merits the additional cost per tank. As Jassy says, an extra 9p a litre over a year is gonna be a fair whack of cash. I'll do the maths when I can be hooped...which isn't going to be at 1:07am!

A

Anonymous

However, and this is sketchy maths, I calculated that, on the basis of V Power costing 9p a litre more than supermarket fuel and the tank being 55 litres, it would cost you an extra £6.40 per tank. Therefore, if you were to average 350 miles per tank then you would require 26 enpty to full fill ups in a year if you were doing a 9100 miles per year. Therefore, you would be paying out an extra £166.40 per annum. Now I can't recall how many miles I'm doing per tank at present using v power and can't be bothered to work it out using a 34.4mpg rate of consumption hence the loose estimate of 350 miles per tank. Anyway, it provides some illustration of the figures you could be talking about.

A

Anonymous

U need to get out more :sleeping-yellow: :sleeping-yellow: :twisted:

A

Anonymous

I'm not quite sure what I have done to irritate you this time Max. I have cleared my mind of any prejudices I had towards different fuels and attempted to conduct a mini test and present my findings. I have mentioned increase if fuel consumption and responsiveness of the car under V Power and attempted to calculate (approximately) what this additional cost is in real terms thus providing owners with some figures for them to make their own decisions with. I actually thought you might have been quite happy with my efforts!

A

Anonymous

You are failing to take into account the damage to your engine by the addition of water along with the supermarket fuel. Where do you think that the more responsiveness comes from that you feel with the better grade fuel? May I suggest that you don't always use the super unleaded. Simply buy regular branded fuel and every fourth/fifth tank allow it to get very low and top up with super unleaded.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
You are failing to take into account the damage to your engine by the addition of water along with the supermarket fuel. Where do you think that the more responsiveness comes from that you feel with the better grade fuel? May I suggest that you don't always use the super unleaded. Simply buy regular branded fuel and every fourth/fifth tank allow it to get very low and top up with super unleaded.

I wouldn't say I'm failing to take it into account RON. It has been discussed earlier in the thread so didn't want to cover old ground. It's not a variable that I can test to be honest. I'll take your suggestion onboard. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I do not disagree that damage caused to the engine is not measurable. However, I think we as educated people will recognise that as the car was not designed to run on water and that to do so cannot be a good thing. We do not know or see what damage it causes, but the fact that the car is more responsive without the addition of water, it is a safe bet that some damage is occurring. As I intend to keep my car, I will continue to look after the engine as well as the paintwork.

A

Anonymous

I actually would have thought that the cars are designed to run on supermarket grade petrol. Yes, I agree that using premium fuel may be better for it, but it was definitely not designed to be run on that alone.

Otherwise Peugeot would suggest using higher octane fuel.

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
I'm not quite sure what I have done to irritate you this time Max. I have cleared my mind of any prejudices I had towards different fuels and attempted to conduct a mini test and present my findings. I have mentioned increase if fuel consumption and responsiveness of the car under V Power and attempted to calculate (approximately) what this additional cost is in real terms thus providing owners with some figures for them to make their own decisions with. I actually thought you might have been quite happy with my efforts!

It was just a LOL, not a LOL at you.

I think im over my save the RCZ phase anyways... users on this forum cured me from caring. Cant care less what people do to their cars. I will maintain my car how I best see fit and the rest of the owners will maintain their cars how they best see fit. If after 5 pages of discussion and proven results people still opt to save a penny instead of driving proper petrol, so be it.

A

Anonymous

MaX83 said:
mrizzle said:

It was just a LOL, not a LOL at you.

I think im over my save the RCZ phase anyways... users on this forum cured me from caring. Cant care less what people do to their cars. I will maintain my car how I best see fit and the rest of the owners will maintain their cars how they best see fit. If after 5 pages of discussion and proven results people still opt to save a penny instead of driving proper petrol, so be it.

It's always good to have the discussion though! I'm in the process of trying a 2-3 tank premium fuel test as well.

Currently only 1mpg more by using premium fuel, but then it does take time for the ECU to adapt so we'll see.