What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Fuel

A

Anonymous

JWT said:
It's always good to have the discussion though! I'm in the process of trying a 2-3 tank premium fuel test as well.

Currently only 1mpg more by using premium fuel, but then it does take time for the ECU to adapt so we'll see.
Totally agree with you JWT. The great benefit of a forum like this is you have the benefit of a large group of individuals with a huge amount of experience that can be disseminated.

We oldies can teach the youth and visa versa. However sometimes the sceptical upset the equilibrium by discounting this experience in a way than can be quite insulting.

On this specific topic of fuel, I have vast experience, as I have purchased so much of it. I was doing 40,000 miles per year for twelve or more years with one job alone and have purchased all grades of fuel. I know what my experience has taught me and for for people with limited driving experience to decry this is insulting.

Another great thing about a forum is you take from it what you want to and forget what you choose to. Try new things that you read about or talk about new experiences.

So why would someone who is willing to spend huge amounts of money on detailing products to keep the shell of a car looking it's best, purchase water at the price of fuel to put into the very thing that makes the car work? Surely if saving money is important use StarDrops to wash the car and buy fuel from a branded supplier, that way the car will last for longer without becoming an ornament due to engine failure.

A

Anonymous

Each to there own placebo effect i have had all the higher octane fuels in both diesel and petrol driven cars, mpg will go up by say 4mpg thats it,l dont need to buy this fuel to make my car feel more responsive when i can rev it that bit more.... or even invest in a custom remap which in the long term is cheaper and thats when power/economy really increase :thumbup: So matt a £170 quid a year at 9k miles thats not as much as i thought but over 2-3 years say £500/600 still ok money could be spent elsewhere...tyres car servicing.....etc.

I had a 1.9 turbo diesel car 6 years ago...130 bhp,i then purchased a Tunit box, a high quality piggy back box as they say for £400 the average mpg jumped up by say 10mpg but the power gains where amazing and best of all it was worth it,l even sold it on for £200 when i switched to a petrol car :)

l plan to remap my ST when funds allow just for better fuel consumption, l wont be putting 98 ron fuel in this car even when it will give 5 bhp more.

Best reason not to buy higher octane fuel is that thing called a "Reccession" money is tight for everyone :cry:

A

Anonymous

Mpg will only improve if you're not tempted to use the extra power obtained from a higher grade fuel, acceleration is the real gobbler of the ol' go-juice ;-)

Sent from my wireless telephonic device using Tapatalk 2

hanswuk

Reaction score
I had a 1.9 turbo diesel car 6 years ago...130 bhp,i then purchased a Tunit box, a high quality piggy back box as they say for £400 the average mpg jumped up by say 10mpg but the power gains where amazing.

What I can never understand is if these boxes work as stated why a car manufacturer would choose to compromise it's products when more power and better fuel economy can be obtained so easily and without negative effects. Does anyone have the knowledge to explain? :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

hanswuk said:
I had a 1.9 turbo diesel car 6 years ago...130 bhp,i then purchased a Tunit box, a high quality piggy back box as they say for £400 the average mpg jumped up by say 10mpg but the power gains where amazing.

What I can never understand is if these boxes work as stated why a car manufacturer would choose to compromise it's products when more power and better fuel economy can be obtained so easily and without negative effects. Does anyone have the knowledge to explain? :eusa-think:
More power might lead to higher insurance costs affecting their target market buyers? And emissions may be adversely affected with a knock on to the car tax band (that latter is a guess, logically a more efficient combustion should reduce emissions?)

This is also assuming there's no long term effect on durability.

Sent from my wireless telephonic device using Tapatalk 2

A

Anonymous

^^^ that man covered all the reasons.

* Reliability
* Emissions
* Brand cannibalization
* Efficiency
* Market requirements
* Production\Maintenance cost
* Tax cost

A

Anonymous

Forgot to mention the fiat grande punto 1.9 sporting was pushing 170 bhp easily and the torque was amazing it was faster way faster than my FN2

A

Anonymous

Diesel is rated by a cetane number not an octane number which indicates its ability to ignite quickly, the super diesels don't have increased cetane ability but have better detergents which help the injectors etc stay clean and resist the carbon deposits on them.
Its like putting diesel treatment in every fill up.

I had an Audi 1.8T and that recommended the use of 97 octane fuel ie super unleaded.

RCZ1

Reaction score