What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Fuel

A

Anonymous

bigmac3161 said:
Well I ran mine for 2 months on bp super unleaded and then regular and I'm sorry but there has been zero drop of in performance. If u noticed a difference good on u but I'd rather save 12p a litre

Have you looked at the octane tests done by APR? THP 200 motors run quite a bit more strain than the standard VAG engine making it much more sensitive to Octane.

Have you ever experience pinging on your cabby?

A

Anonymous

bradshaw said:
I use only Shell unleaded in my car, every 4 or 5 fills I use Shell super unleaded, the performance is definatly better on the super unleaded, on one occasion that I used Tesco fuel, the performance was noticeably less.

Interesting :eusa-think:
I may give super unleaded a go over the few weeks :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Are we talkiing all supermarket fuel? I filled up today and due to this thread I looked at the Momentum 99 (I assume 99 Octane) in Tesco's will that have the cleaning additives? It is 5p per litre more than the standard 95. as I'm about to get the 200 I could be persuaded to change my ways.

A

Anonymous

Apples and oranges folks just top up with wot ever ur comfortable with and don't let anybody talk u into changing for changes sake. Tesco local garage or shell's finest everybody's got there own fav. Just enjoy ur RCZ simples.

A

Anonymous

I get diesel, I get what I can afford and I avoid small motorway service stations like the plague thanks to having my card ripped off and someone ringing up £600 of purchases.

A

Anonymous

So max your saying your rcz pulls well over 200 bhp is that freak of engineering by pug ...........nope :eusa-think: so what have you upgraded to achieve these gains

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
So max your saying your rcz pulls well over 200 bhp is that freak of engineering by pug ...........nope :eusa-think: so what have you upgraded to achieve these gains

All well kept THP 200's should be making over 200 ponies on the fly. On 98 i've seen THP 200 graphs reading 228hp!! Thats at the fly obviously.

I mean mine made a healthy 180hp on the wheels brand spanking new out the box (translates to about 205fly hp - same as a 2.0l Golf 5 GTI!). She is in as we speak for fresh oil and check-up. From there she will go back to the dyno on the 14th of April to see if we are making progress with the run-in.

I could cheat and add some OB in my quest to get the stock car to hit 200hp atw but really want to do it pump.

A

Anonymous

Oh, i forgot! The HP is good but the torque is amazing! Peugeot claims 275nm at the fly, mine made 280nm at the wheels which works out to about 320fly Nm (working on the same tranny loss factor as above)!

So what I think they did was quote Wheel Power instead of Flywheel Power. Its VW's trick really and I think they started this. Ever wondered how its possible for a 173kw Ed35 GTI to run a 206kw VXR Astra so close. Because the VXR is quote Flywheel power and the GTI is wheel power. So if you convert the 173kw Ed35 power to fly its very similar to that of the VXR!

**Waaayyy off topic but still interesting to discuss**

A

Anonymous

I'm struggling to understand why they would do that? Surely it would make more sense to be quoting the flywheel power as it's a higher, and therefore more enticing, headline figure!

A

Anonymous

JWT said:
I'm struggling to understand why they would do that? Surely it would make more sense to be quoting the flywheel power as it's a higher, and therefore more enticing, headline figure!

I've got no idea... but it is very nice to crank much bigger cars with your little 1.6 :beer: I think its got to do with marketing and cannibalizing on more expensive cars. Or they just want to be conservative, under promise and over deliver...

A

Anonymous

MaX83 said:
JWT said:

I've got no idea... but it is very nice to crank much bigger cars with your little 1.6 :beer: I think its got to do with marketing and cannibalizing on more expensive cars. Or they just want to be conservative, under promise and over deliver...

Aha but pull up against a Mini Cooper S with the same engine as we're toast :(

A

Anonymous

JWT said:
MaX83 said:
JWT said:

Aha but pull up against a Mini Cooper S with the same engine as we're toast :(

Thats where weight comes in, i reckon a THP 200 will crank a Cooper S!

A

Anonymous

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel1115-3297.htm

Ok so i did the comparison, took a THP 200 RCZ against a 200 Hp John Cooper Works Mini. The mini is faster as its about 100kg lighter than the RCZ. Check the power to weight difference.

On the upside, the RCZ is more than 2s faster around Hockenheim short and in gear the cooper is no match!

A

Anonymous

MaX83 said:

Ok so i did the comparison, took a THP 200 RCZ against a 200 Hp John Cooper Works Mini. The mini is faster as its about 100kg lighter than the RCZ. Check the power to weight difference.

On the upside, the RCZ is more than 2s faster around Hockenheim short and in gear the cooper is no match!

I like the site, having fun on it now.

Haha, I'm glad I can find solace in the fact that if I were to pit my car against it at Hockenheim I may win ;)

A

Anonymous

JWT said:
MaX83 said:

Haha, I'm glad I can find solace in the fact that if I were to pit my car against it at Hockenheim I may win ;)
And that seems to be down to the in-gear acceleration which bodes well for real world diving too, the mini appears to be geared for acceleration from a standing start which isn't a major part of most peoples driving.

Sent from my hot tub using Tapatalk 2

A

Anonymous

JWT said:
MaX83 said:

Then you will love this view: http://www.zeperfs.com/en/match1115-3297.htm

A

Anonymous

Ok...so...this debate had me intrigued as to whether or not I had been wrong in my thinking and my judgement clouded so I decided to try and conduct my own little test and here's what I found.

I ran my tank to 5 miles from empty to try and get my supermarket fuel as low as possible. I then filled the tank up to fuel using Shell V Power (98 RON) ahead of driving to St Andrews and back on a mini break and back with mrs Rizzle. This is a distance of around 175 miles there and back travelling, for the most part, on national speed limit dual carriageways and national speed limit B roads. What I quickly noticed was an improvement in the responsiveness of the car and in the fuel consumption which leapt up from my disconcertingly low 32 mpg (still need to get this checked out) to figures up in the 45mpg range. Now, I generally drive at the speed limit plus 10% (sorry to those that that offends) on 70mph roads. I was hugely impressed by the predicted remaining range when we returned. Since returning I have been driving a little on B roads but, for the most part, in and across the city where I tend to drive in 30/40/50mph zones and in the usual traffic conditions for a city. I have subsequently also watched my fuel consumption fall...and fall...and fall (as to be expected).

I have filled up again to a second full of V Power and my fuel consumption seems to have settled at around the 34.4/8mpg mark. This is still an improvement in miles returned by tank and I do still feel the car is a little more responsive than it was with supermarket fuel. However, I haven't yet done the maths to work out if that's actually meant that it's more economical to use this fuel despite its significantly higher cost. However, I suspect not particularly with supermarkets announcing and introducing price cuts from 2-3p per litre. I think (and this is very approximate) that I'd need to see a return of 4-5 miles greater per tank for V Power (or similar 98 RON fuel) to make financial sense. I would say though that the car definitely does feel better/more responsive using a higher grade fuel...but is that enough when fuel costs such a premium and there is a war on fuel being waged?!

*Disclaimer - this was written on my phone and, if I'm honest, I can't be bothered proof reading it all so please ignore any predictive text errors etc*

RCZ1

Reaction score
I'm actually pondering whether to use the so called better fuel for a couple of months to see if there is any difference/feel in performance. What do you think?

Interesting reading though Mr Rizz but was it psychological that you say the car felt more responsive?

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
I'm actually pondering whether to use the so called better fuel for a couple of months to see if there is any difference/feel in performance. What do you think?

Interesting reading though Mr Rizz but was it psychological that you say the car felt more responsive?
Nope it's not psychological it's factual :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

It's hard to say RCZ1 without some way to measure it. However, I would say that it genuinely feels as though the car has an improved pick up/less lag and with the in-gear acceleration. I can't test this to prove (or disprove) this but I trust my feelings.