What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

"ENGINE FAULT REPAIR NEEDED"

A

Anonymous

Tomas_90 said:
Got my RCZ back from the service today too:

Changed one ignition coil and cooling pump for the turbo. I forgot to ask them but is that an electrical pump or how does it work? Anyone know?

And then of course the timing chain thing. They only had to change the tensioner and readjust the chain then it was fine. Had to pay for it myself tho but the tensioner was only about 50 € so not so bad. Had they changed the entire chain they said Peugeot would have payed for it even tho i'm out of warranty.

Hi there, just my 2 cents worth...

The cooling pump for the turbo is underneath the turbo housing on the front of the engine. it is an electrical pump and runs after the engine is switched off to slowly cool the Turbo and components down. if you switch off the engine after the engine is warm you will hear the pump running from the front of the engine bay.

As to the Coil Pack. Peugeot should have changed all 4 packs as a precautionary measure.

the 156 THP engine is well know for cooling pump failures. I'm replacing my engine, part my part under warranty ;) and this is on a Citroen DS3 THP 156 ;)

So far mine has had this work for the Engine:

Coil Pack, Spark Plugs, Turbo Coolant pump, Timing Belt and Tensioners, Temp Sensor all replaced at approx 24-28k.

Also had a Terraclean Intake clean since build up of carbon on the Inlet Manifold/Intake Valves.

Citroen are changing the 156 THP Engine in the DS3 very soon(Nov/Dec) to a new 165 Bhp engine, though this maybe more to do with Euro V rules, but my guess the amount of warranty work on the 156BHP justifies a new Engine to be released to fix this. not sure though if the whole of PSA will change to the new Engine however.

XeviouS

Reaction score
GAH!

After owning my 2010 RCZ for only 6 days I have had this same error message appear. Sadly the car is out of manufacturer's warranty and as I purchased it from a private buyer I have no short term dealer warranty either.

I have done the 3 Lock/Unlock reset and it cleared the error briefly but was back within a few minutes. I will have to take it into a service centre for diagnosis.

Fingers crossed it is just a faulty sensor

A

Anonymous

Toxic said:
Yes, this tells me that they have learned some lessons from the THP series engines. Reworked injection & timing systems, cooling sensors, new ecu & software. Minor changes to turbo. Interesting that the THP200S&S is actually rated at 205 to 210 bhp. Otherwise going on about the Stop & start & euro 6 compliance.

stagger321

Reaction score
XeviouS said:
GAH!

After owning my 2010 RCZ for only 6 days I have had this same error message appear. Sadly the car is out of manufacturer's warranty and as I purchased it from a private buyer I have no short term dealer warranty either.

I have done the 3 Lock/Unlock reset and it cleared the error briefly but was back within a few minutes. I will have to take it into a service centre for diagnosis.

Fingers crossed it is just a faulty sensor
Can't you get anything via the diag ports on these cars?
Mine is under warranty so I don't need to delve about, but with the last car, which was well past its sell by date, one of those cheap'n'cheerful ebay bluetooth OBDII ports diagnosed a engine misfire - which just led to regapping the plugs. You can get one of the blutooth OBDII units for less than a fiver delivered. then just load something like the free Torque Lite on an android device and give it a go.
Has anyone tried this on an RCZ??

XeviouS

Reaction score
stagger321 said:
Can't you get anything via the diag ports on these cars?
Mine is under warranty so I don't need to delve about, but with the last car, which was well past its sell by date, one of those cheap'n'cheerful ebay bluetooth OBDII ports diagnosed a engine misfire - which just led to regapping the plugs. You can get one of the blutooth OBDII units for less than a fiver delivered. then just load something like the free Torque Lite on an android device and give it a go.
Has anyone tried this on an RCZ??

Great suggestion...I'll order one today.

This morning prior to my commute to the service center I reset the system and the error has not returned. On the one hand I have a functioning car again...on the other I now don't have any info/code to provide them.

Pugrcz11

Reaction score
I just got the "engine fault repair needed" message, I have no idea about cars but I'm extra disappointed as it's just had a full service and mot. Sounds like the same issues as a lot of other people, accelerated lost power, engine fault came on then the engine was juddering. Got home and the fan was on for ages, every time I try it the fault comes on I turn off the engine and the fan strays on for quite a while. Just gutted cos I love the car, but it does get frustrating.

A

Anonymous

Hey Guys, guess its my turn. Just had the engine fault come up and the car go into limp mode on Tuesday on my 2010 launch edition rcz Engine 1.6 THP 156 Manual
So i took the car in yesterday and the diagnostics came back, cylinder miss fire on 1 + 4 so they fitted a new set of 4 spark plugs and reset the computer. now the car is actually running better than it ever has (No exaggeration)
which leads me to believe that it may have had a slight issue with the plugs ever since ive owned the car which is just over 2yrs but possibly only just deteriorated bad enough to trip the warning ?

So when i purchased it over 2 yrs ago i took out the free service + mot package and looking through the paperwork this is the first time the plugs have ever been changed so cant really fault them for finally giving up the ghost.
also since having it back i can now hear the turbo dump valve releasing air every time i take my foot off the throttle after changing up through the gears, not loud or anything just that unmistakable psshhh. definitely wasn't there before as ive even commented on, if it didn't state it was actually a turbo i wouldn't even know.
is this the same for everybody ? or could this be the start of a chain of faults i need to prepare myself for?

one other thing is the engine just seem to be a little louder almost more of a diesel engine sound
with very sort of faint tap,tap,tap when ticking over. However when the accelerator is pressed the taps completely disappears and revs normal with nothing really standing out ( its not the tensioner guide as that was replaced ) Really hoping its just me being a bit hyper sensitive at the mo Lol,
so just wondering if others can confirm this is a normal sound for this engine running properly on all four cylinders...Thanks for taking the time guys

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi hem, I too have a launch edition, and after only 17000 miles my engine started to sound like a diesel on start up and seemed to disappear when warm or increasing the revs, took to my dealer and I thought engine sounded fine being warm but when the mechanic listened to the engine with the bonnet up you could hear the tapping quite clearly. Chain,guides and tensioner was replaced as he said they had done loads and never had one back for the same problem. I've done 4000 miles since and the car is as sweet as a nut!
If you only had the guides changed it could be you need the rest of the kit.
Hope you get it sorted. :beer:

A

Anonymous

thanks mate, as ive already had an issue and had the tensioner guide replaced under warranty
im hoping they will have no problem changing the tensioner itself now my warranty has expired.
given this is a well known defective subpar part that is.

Has anybody else had the tensioner replaced after there warranty expired?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Peugeot wouldn't honor my replacement as the car was out of warranty though it has a full service history but not with Peugeot so they used this as a get out. Cost for chain tensioner and guides £500 fitted which I know some have paid nearly double that!
When you said the tensioner guides have been replaced on your car do you mean the chain guides? The chain runs within the guides the tensioner pushes against the chain to keep it at a constant tension. The tapping you can hear may be a slack timing chain due to the tensioner no doing its job.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

No they told me they just replaced the guide as the actual tensioner was fine.
but this is a different noice to last time. now its a quietish constant tap,tap,tap only when ticking over at between 500-750 revs. when the guide was faulty you could here the metalic clatter of the chain ticking over and when reved sounded absoluetley horrendous.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to sidetrack here but has anyone had experience of Error Code P1030?

My Engine Fault light came on and went into limp mode. Had it towed to Peugeot and they have come back with a £700 quote for a Vertical Valve Lift Motor and a Turbo Electro Valve??

Pretty fed up with this really as just had the timing chain done a few months ago. I love the RCZ but I have never had a car with so many expensive problems.

Anyone had experience in these problems?

Tomas_90

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the base 207 suffered from the timing chain problems too? I read that the GTi models did have major problems with it, but those are all turbo models.

I'm referring to the 1.6 liter EP6 engine Without turbo (120 bhp).