What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Cleaning RCZ alloy roof bars

RCZ1

Reaction score
You just have to be careful as you are posting information onto a public forum which isn't the usual sort of product to use on the roof arches. Should anything go wrong with them and people have done this, then it leaves them in a vulnerable position should they need/want to make a claim against a Peugeot.

A

Anonymous

DoDo Juice Lime Prime + Autoglym Super Resin Polish + DoDo Juice Light Fantastic (wax) + Elbow Grease.
In that order and you wont go far wrong, 3 years on and arches like new. :thumbup:

Jimbrodie1

Reaction score
'T'cut mine a month or so ago, as they were milky and spotted.

Look like new now and doesn't seem to have had any negative affects. Also a lot cheaper than all the special creams and potions :thumbup:

dr29dr29

Reaction score
OMG . . . it works !!!!!

Thank you so much for the tip, robinsstevenj.

Have just done my horribly water-marked aluminium arches with Autoglym Bumper & Trim Gel and they're looking like new once again. It was a really easy job - no elbow grease involved at all. It probably only took about 5 minutes . . . I think it actually took longer to find someone to come and take my money at Halfords !!!!!

Many thanks !

A

Anonymous

I dont know whether to give this a try or not next time mine need cleaning, I've got AG Bumper & Trim gel in my box of tricks :eusa-think:
I'm a bit dubious about applying something onto the arches thats not for them.
My neighbour uses WindowLeen on simular arches on his 54 plate Megan and they are like new, but I just cant get myself to try that either :roll:

I'm just thinking though that the AG Bumper gel obviously does not contain any cleaning or polishing agents, so you're basicaly just adding a layer of silicon over the water marks instead of removing them, maybe the silicon is then masking any marks.

Its a bit like oiling lead flashing on a bay window, before you start the lead looks dull and full of water marks but add a bit of oil on a cloth and work it into the lead and before you know it the lead looks like new, but all it's really done is add a layer of shinny oil which adds a sheen to the lead and also very slightly darkens the lead which hides the water marks but doesnt really remove them.
Still though, you may of found something that does actually work on the arches :eusa-think: :clap:

Heres another tip for anyone with "woodgrain" PVC windows or doors, use WD40 on a cloth to get a shine and make them look like new. :thumbup:

And for dull looking white PVC, use Acetone cleaner (smells like pear drops), awesome on white PVC. :thumbup:

Tune in tomorrow for tips on how to get your oven clean with a tomato :p

hanswuk

Reaction score
jactac said:
I dont know whether to give this a try or not next time mine need cleaning, I've got AG Bumper & Trim gel in my box of tricks :eusa-think:
My neighbour uses WindowLeen on simular arches on his 54 plate Megan and they are like new, but I just cant get myself to try that either :roll:

I know exactly what you mean. I share your apprehension..... :eusa-think:

RCZ1

Reaction score
jactac said:

I'm just thinking though that the AG Bumper gel obviously does not contain any cleaning or polishing agents, so you're basicaly just adding a layer of silicon over the water marks instead of removing them, maybe the silicon is then masking any marks.

Its a bit like oiling lead flashing on a bay window, before you start the lead looks dull and full of water marks but add a bit of oil on a cloth and work it into the lead and before you know it the lead looks like new, but all it's really done is add a layer of shinny oil which adds a sheen to the lead and also very slightly darkens the lead which hides the water marks but doesnt really remove them.
Still though, you may of found something that does actually work on the arches :eusa-think: :clap:

Heres another tip for anyone with "woodgrain" PVC windows or doors, use WD40 on a cloth to get a shine and make them look like new. :thumbup:

And for dull looking white PVC, use Acetone cleaner (smells like pear drops), awesome on white PVC. :thumbup:

Tune in tomorrow for tips on how to get your oven clean with a tomato :p

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. It is only masking any water marks. What worries me is the long term affects. No-one knows what may happen with continued use of a product that is intended for plastic.

Blog: http://rczandme.wordpress.com/

A

Anonymous

what is this product called as there are many different ones , want to give it a go, but need the right one
cheers nasty

A

Anonymous

Auto Glym do a tyre dressing one that I use on the tyres, alloys and alloy roof bars. Or you can use the autoglym bumper care. I have tried both and they work well. I would not recommend using abrasive polishes on them though as they have a protective coating.

A

Anonymous

I would have to go on hesitation using tyre gel. Going to try super resin polish by Ag and see how I go

A

Anonymous

Quadralene new car polish on body, rails and alloys. Perfect. Been selling polishes and cleaners for 47 years, tried them all.

A

Anonymous

Wouldn't it be better to use Autoglyms chrome polish rather than their bumper and trim polish.? Seems strange. ! My aluminium roof rails ste really tarnished. Any advice would really help

pete.garratt

Reaction score
There not chrome, they're anodised aluminium. Chrome polish is probably too abrasive. I'd stick with polishes for paint. That's what I did on my last car.

The 'tarnish' you see may be water spots.

A picture might help.

A

Anonymous

Trade up to a mk 2 with black arches..the ones that should have been in the design in the first place.I suppose that wrapping is the only way to fix them.. as you cant properly paint these chepoes. :oops:

A

Anonymous

2retro

Reaction score
wrapper said:
Trade up to a mk 2 with black arches..the ones that should have been in the design in the first place.I suppose that wrapping is the only way to fix them.. as you cant properly paint these chepoes. :oops:
Silver or black - both look good to me, it's just personal preference. Those champagne gold ones though... eugh!

A

Anonymous

Just gave our Z the full clean treatment today and looks fantastic. Arches were really badly stained with water marks but used Meguirs Ultimate Compound and elbow grease on them and have come up like new - well pleased. If knew how to post pics on this forum would show you results so any help to do so would be welcome :thumbup:

renegade79

Reaction score
nifty50 said:
Just gave our Z the full clean treatment today and looks fantastic. Arches were really badly stained with water marks but used Meguirs Ultimate Compound and elbow grease on them and have come up like new - well pleased. If knew how to post pics on this forum would show you results so any help to do so would be welcome :thumbup:

try using the photobucket website, its pretty good and easy to use or alternatively some people use tapatalk ti upload pics.