What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

+125.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Re: +100.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

Love that picture, at first I thought it had a sunset in the background, but it's a building lol.
Anyway great shot and you can keep the snow.
Glad to see you have still got the R.
Cheers M...

Quick edit.... whats the E brake ?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

RCZ-R

Reaction score

E brake, don't they say "emergency brake = e brake" for the handbrake in UK? Or was it american english? :greetings-wavingblue:

2retro

Reaction score

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArSA78GExxo[/youtube]

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Tomorrow I have a test drive in the new 508 GT 225 First Edition. Full with toys to play around.

I'm curious if this car will become the successor of my beloved RCZ. When it comes to the looks alone, then the answer is yes. But I also hope the 1.6 engine won't disappoint me either. I know, I know, I shouldn't compare it to R's motor. But how I cannot? I have to :beer:

I already test-drove that engine in the face-lifted 308 GT 225. In the 308 it pulls very good up to the limited 145 MPH. But the 508 carries about 200 kg more of fat around its bottom.

Nevertheless I will share my insights with you here.
Cheers!

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Hi guys,

So finally I have been test driving the new Peugeot 508.

I got into a spanking new 508 GT 225 in red metallic paint. The car had only few hundreds of kilometers on the ODO but the dealer assured me; it is already broken in, you can give it some beans. Alright, sounds good to me! Let’s roll!
He gave me a short intro to the car and then I left for my test drive.

A first impression stays often the longest with us. And so it was the case here with the 508. It is so quiet inside, so calming down. That was my first impression. Compared to the rascal-like attitude of the RCZ R it is like crash-diving in a hot bathtub and disconnecting from the outer world. Even compared to my Lexus LS the new 508 is a very quiet and well insulated car inside. Good job, Peugeot!

INTERIOR
In my opinion the whole interior is a huge step forward. It took me few minutes to get used to it. In regards of pure ergonomics all is well placed and within reach from the driver’s position. Materials are nice, finish quality is sound, all looks pricey (at least for this price range). I love the i-cockpit idea where the speedo is put above the steering wheel. I’m 5.9 almost 6.0 and I had no issue to find a comfy position right from the start and be able to see the whole gauge cluster sitting above the steering wheel. Forget about head-up display, you don’t need it in the 508.

The seats are very comfy although they do not match the superb R seats. And the 508 seats have a bit too short seating cushion. I’ve stretched them to max but there was still the sensation my legs are not fully supported by the seating cushion. I tilted the seat a bit to counterfeit this issue. It was no biggie, just nitpicking here. Side support of those seats is OK, just the right ratio for a GT car. The 508 is everything but a sports car. But I will get there in a moment.

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS
Driving the 508 is a pleasure. The adaptive suspension is comfy without being too soft. There is a tangible firmness in the damping, even in Comfort mode, but it isn't annoying. Only when you switch to Sport the suspension something looses its temper and starts to rumble over rough surfaces like stampeding horses. This is where you suddenly understand, the 508 doesn’t like to he rushed. That is the main character of this car. It is a true GT, not a sports car pretender like some other competitors try to do with their GTs.

Steering, oh yes, I need to talk about the steering. The steering wheel itself is gorgeous. It feels good when you hold it. But the feedback you get via the steering is horrible. It is exactly like in all Audi. You get this kind of synthetic sensation from the electric steering where you don’t know what the heck is going on with the wheels, do you still have grip, do they slide, etc? There is almost no feedback being transmitted through the steering wheel to the driver. And it gets worse when you switch to Sport mode. Then the system only puts more resistance or weight to the power steering without any adaptation of this force to the actual driving speed. So it feels strangely stiff in slow and hi speeds as well. And here I do not compare it to the hydraulic power steering on the R because it’d be pointless. But I do compare it to other GT cars like bigger Volvos, Beemers, etc. They do it better with electric assisted PS. Except for Audi and Mercedes which also have numb power steering systems.

Still you can drive fast on B roads and have fun with the 508. In his class the 508 handles beautifully. You can have fun with it as long as you don’t rush it. Take it up to 80% and leave it there. When you go beyond the car looses its countenance. No, no, monsieur! Sis is not whoot a french car likes, no! Drive reasonably, please!

Engine. So here we have the small 1.6 turbo unit sitting in a mid-sized GT car. I had no time to put the car on a scale but Peugeot claims it weights around 1500 kg. And it feels like this. It doesn’t feel flimsy and cheap, no, it feels carrying around those 1500 kg very sturdy and quality. But still it rides light-footed. And the engine has no issues with pulling the car forward. I have heard/read a lot about the engine being too feeble and too slow for this kind of car. I disagree. It pulls OK, there is always enough power available to do a sprint and as you can see on the speedo pic below, it will make the acclaimed 250 kmh, sooner or later, haha. It is not a rocket ship but it ain't a slow one either!

It pulled up to the indicated 244 pretty quickly. The speedo is by 2 kmh off only! There was a constant acceleration up to 240 and then slowly it crawled up to 244. Then I had to slow down due to traffic. Acceleration 0-100 kmh was something of 8.0 sec according to GPS device. See the other screenshot below for details. In there you have validated GPS data.

So, is it loud at those speeds? No, not at all. There is absolutely no wind noise from those unframed door windows. Only a bit of wind noise coming from the mirrors. But nothing to complain about. So Peugeot kept the promise to make the car inside quiet and comfy.
The best travel speed for the 225 GT will be at 210-220 kmh.

Fuel consumption? I don’t know. Had no chance to keep track of it. But while cruising at 130 kmh on the autobahn the indicated consumption was somewhere at 6L/100km (47-50 MPG). And due to the 8-cogs box the revs sit at 2000 at those speeds. Then you can enjoy the sound of the Focal sound system. The Focal system has a nice sound with separated settings for radio, media and blutooth sound. It won’t blow you away like those hi end systems in other cars. But for the money it delivers. Job well done.

Few words about the auto box. It has 8 gears and does a decent job all the time except when you accelerate hard. The up-changes are not fluent and on the autobahn at speeds above 130 kmh the box downshifts way too early when you want to do a short sprint. For comparison I kept it in manual mode and staying in 8th gear the engine had enough torque to pull up. In my opinion Peugeot needs to bring some software updates to eliminate those overreactions when driving on the autobahn. But here we are again, don't go beyond 80%, keep it calm and there are absolutely no issues with the gearbox.

The car was equipped with the night-vision feature. And it works very well. It spots all persons on or near the road. And when it detects movement across or in direction of your driving direction then it immediately alerts you. It does that even if the night vision is not visibly switched on in main cluster. For example I was driving in town and suddenly a woman on a bike started to cross my lane. Before I had a chance to react the night vision system suddenly prompted her silhouette in the rev counter (it then overlays the night vision view into the rev counter), bracketed in red and alerting me. I immediately stepped on the brakes but if I hadn’t I assume the active brake system would have kicked in.

If the system spots pedestrians walking along the road and not attempting to cross your path or do whatever suspicious moves (like drunken kung fu) then it only puts them in yellow brackets and doesn’t ring any alerts. I had the impression that the grade of implementation and software fine tuning was done properly. There were no false alerts at all. It even spots persons who stand very close to much bigger objects being partially obstructed by them. Well done Peugeot (or whom else built this device)!!

SUMMARY
Let’s wrap this very long post. Do I like the new 508? Yes, a lot. It is a very sound car with great riding comfort. It offers nice features and there is nothing about it what would drive me mad. Maybe except for the stupid touch screen, haha. But I feel like this about all touch screens in cars. I prefer buttons to touch screens because I can operate them sooner or later blindfolded. With touch screen I always have to look at the screen when I want to change something. Very distracting. But hey, what do you have all those collision prevention assistants on board for? To play around on the touch screen and trust they will save your bum when distracted, right? hahaha. Strange world we live in.

Would I buy it?
Honestly I don’t know. I'm tempted but there is no fire burning in me like when I was waiting for the RCZ R. I’m still hesitating because there is the new Volvo S60 arriving soon. And I am tempted to try it out before I make my mind on my next new car. Until then my beloved R is my companion on daily travels. And she is sooo good to me, she makes it sooo hard to fell in love with any new car. :greetings-wavingblue:

Attachments

• 508_inside.jpg
    508_inside.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2,369
  • 244_508.jpg
    244_508.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2,371
  • 508_results.jpg
    508_results.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2,371

Plecodoras

Reaction score

I have sat in the new 508 as posted back on the pugfest thread.

Personally I loved the look and the driving position, though I know it's miles apart from the R, I still liked it.

But until you actually drive a car, you can't really make judgement.

Good update, keep em coming.

Ps. Don't get rid of your old faithful. !

DKZ5745

Reaction score

When I took my Z into the local Pug dealer they had the 508 Gt 225 in the showroom in a deep metallic blue which sparkled nicely under the lights. I had a good look round & a sit in. It was a very comfortable “safe” feeling cockpit, and the instrumentation was impressive. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the look of the car, but it did seem like quite a large vehicle for a 1.6 engine.

Although I didn’t test drive it, you have answered more than all the questions I had.

I’m afraid that it’s not a car I would consider, especially given the price tag, the one in the showroom had all the options fitted and was over £38 K. There are a lot of very nice motors out there for that kind of money.

I can imagine die hard Peugeot buyers will absolutely love it.

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Thank you guys!

Over here you pay about 50k EUR for a fully loaded 508 GT. Quite steep that price is.

One more thing worth to be mentioned about the new 508 is its brilliant LED lights. They are very bright with a clear white and consistent illumination. There is no blueish coloring to the light output. And they have a nice range so driving fast at night is not a problem.
They are a significant step up to the already very good LED lights on the 308.

Plecodoras

Reaction score

My leaf had led lights and they were fantastic too, all new cars should have them fitted, the added Field of view and distance alone a vast improvement over normal lighting.

Xenon's being the only exception !!

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Agree. If LED are implemented properly then they add to safety. Two years ago I had a BMW 530d as a rental with stock LED lights. They were horrible. The range was too short. And even worse, the cut over from light to darkness was too instant. There was absolutely no reflections from road signs or other obstacles in the dark which help you to navigate in the far distant darkness. It made it hard to drive fast at night. I didn't like it at all. It was obvious, you need to pay BMW the extra for the dynamic LED lights to get a proper result.

And I miss the swivel lights feature on LED in general. I think only Volvo does that. There you get the LED lights including true cornering lights where the LED elements turn actively with the steering turning. I like this feature a lot.

RCZ-R

Reaction score

On my never ending journey (at least, this is what it feels to me by now) to find a new daily driver for my beloved RCZ now I want to take a closer look at the new Ford Fiesta ST.
Yes, the Fiesta has nothing in common with the RCZ. Agree :lol:

But I drove the predecessor for a while and it was a hell of a ride. The fun factor in that Fiesta is overwhelming. Compared to a Clio RS or other small hot hatches (VW has nothing to offer what could be called; fun to drive) the Fiesta has a built-in childish factor. Although I do not lack any joy of driving while using my R I was amazed how much fun you can have in a small car like this. Punchy turbo engine, great sound (fake, but still great) and that chassis. Delicious. Like a scruffy dog that only wants to play. While owning the car I often grabbed the keys and went for a night drive. For pure joy of driving.

So hopes are high for the new ST. I will be looking for a test drive and then hopefully I will be any wiser in my decisions.

I also want to wind down the expenditures on my daily driver. The R proved to be Ferrari-like expensive when used daily and with the pace I put on it. Therefore any kind of relief for my budget will be highly welcomed.

RCZ-R

Reaction score

I need new brake pads. Again :lol:

This round I managed about 27.000 km (about 16.000 miles) on those pads. Usually a set of front pads lasted with me for max 20.000 km. But since last summer there is a lot of new construction sites on those autobahns where I usually drive. Which equates to less opportunities to speed up to 150 and then to slam the brakes.

While taking the wheels off over the weekend I realized that I never have cleaned my wheels. Never ever. They carry the old, baked brake dust on them since day one. It is not an issue as the R rims are all black. But I must say, those stock pads throw lots of brake dust on them.

Attachments

• RCZ_brakepads01.2019.jpg
    RCZ_brakepads01.2019.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 2,129

jr4070

Reaction score

Have you ever had issues with your calipers. My pistons corroded and I had them changed on warranty. 42000 miles..

DKZ5745

Reaction score

I don’t think that corrosion could get through the brake dust :eusa-think: :eusa-whistle:

RCZ-R

Reaction score

jr4070 said:
Have you ever had issues with your calipers. My pistons corroded and I had them changed on warranty. 42000 miles..

Never had an issue. No sticking pistons due to corrosion or whatever. I keep my brakes "dirty" with dust and high temperature resistant caliper grease. That keeps them operating flawlessly.
From my experience with true sport brake systems like our Alcon or Brembo, you only need to keep the guide pins clean (on which the pads slide) and greased. And the rear side of pads also well greased.
And I never ever treat my wheels with a high-pressure washer nor do I put wheel cleaner on the calipers.

I do understand that some people want to maintain a show&shine level of cleanliness even on their calipers. That is fine as long as you keep them greased after each cleaning.

RCZ-R

Reaction score

The new pads are in. And they've been bedded in to the used discs.
It took me a week of cautious driving/braking to get those pads working properly on the used discs. All is good now.

While on the topic, I forgot to writhe the 3rd and last part of my "how to bed in new brakes?" story. I will return to it soon here.

Attachments

• RCZR_frontpads2019_1.jpg
    RCZR_frontpads2019_1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,997

RCZ-R

Reaction score

MPG

I rarely post about MPG on my R.
I know I can do about 250 miles on a single fill when driving very fast on autobahns (doing 130-140 MPH all the time). And that is all I need to know about my R.

Now what you see below is a recent MPG I got while driving mostly in town and across the country (no motorways included). The tempo was normal. But I wasn't trying to save fuel. I was just flowing with the traffic, doing the occasional sprint here and there, overtaking cars on B roads, jump starting on traffic lights and sitting in typical after-work traffic jams. Never being the "typical" Peugeot driver who drives other mad trundling across the country.

The result you see equates to 42 MPG. Not bad. I'm sure I can do above 50 when trying. As you can see the fuel tank was not yet empty making the R a 500 miles-on-a-tank car easily. :greetings-wavingblue:

Attachments

• RCZR_mpg.jpg
    RCZR_mpg.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,756

pete.garratt

Reaction score

Yep - I get this in my R, too. Best I’ve ever seen is just over 53mpg.