What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

+125.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Re: +100.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

pete.garratt said:
Yep - I get this in my R, too. Best I’ve ever seen is just over 53mpg.
What was you doing Pete pushing it ? Lol

I can't resist teaching a few metal cans some road facts about our beautiful cars.
Funny though I seem to only be able to see them in my rear view mirror !!!!!

Hope your doing ok Pete, cheers M.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

RCZ-R

Reaction score

NEW DISCS – BEDDING IN, PART 3 (FINAL):

PART 1 can be found here:
PART 2 can be found here:

Here we are with the last part of how to properly bed in new sport brakes.
After part 1 and 2 where we cautiously took care of preparing the surface, part 3 is all about “burning in” the disc surface with the pads.
This is the part where most drivers struggle with because of its sheer brutality. The more one struggles with the execution the more probable some issues like hot spots on discs will occur. But as it is in life, some things sound worse than they really are. Therefore let’s start.

PREPARATION:
Find yourself a deserted road or even better an area where you can freely accelerate to about 80-100 MPH and decelerate safely. I do those kind of things during the night on a huge deserted US airfield. Plenty of room to accelerate and decelerate and no one bothers. Make sure you are capbale of doing it before you start. If not, leave it.

PROCEDURE:
Warm up the brakes by normal driving.
1. Accelerate quickly to 80-100 MPH and then slam the brakes with full force at once. No hesitation. Slam them like your life depends on it. Keep the full pressure on the pedal and let the ABS do the work till you get the speed down to about 10-15 MPH. On the R it happens very quickly, so keep track of your speed.
2. It is crucial to NOT to come to a full stop! This would generate brake pad transfer spots. The famous “warped disc” effect. So, do not come to a full stop while braking!
3. When you are down to that 10 MPH, release the brake pedal and accelerate again up to 80-100 MPH.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 for 10 times in a row. Yes, 10 times. The brakes will start to smell and even some smoke might appear. But don’t worry, this is an easy exercise for the Alcons.
5. After the 10th deceleration bring the car to halt with normal stopping power. But again, do not stay on the brake pedal when you've stopped! On the very last meter I stop the car with the handbrake and then release the brake. Let the engine idle, the turbo will be hot. Make sure the car does not roll away when you step out!
6. Get out and have a look at those discs. Do not touch! They will be freaking hot!

During the process the discs should go all deep blue/violet. Ideally the coloring is even all over the disc surface. If so, you have successfully and most important, evenly transferred brake pad material into the disc surface. The bedding in is done.

With the Alcons prepared like this there will be no track day or no Alpine road which could make your Alcons sweat. I have been doing this since I own the car and I never had any issues like “warped discs” which, in most case, is not warped discs but only brake pad spots on the disc which causes different friction spots and thus this weird feeling in the brake pedal. Even that can be cured with the process I described above.

I have been to track days with my R and never suffered from any issues with the brakes. Yes, the tyres surrendered, but never the brakes. Peugeot Sport has given us an excellent tool for spirited driving, be it on the roads or on race tracks. Just keep the brakes well maintained and properly bedded in to enjoy their full potential.

The end :greetings-wavingblue:

Last edited:

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Today I swapped for summer tyres and shot the picture you see below. What you see is a top-down view of the front disc. It has the typical coloring (rather orange than brown) and cleanness of a disc which works at high temperatures.
It also lacks the typical rust flaking which is usually visible in those ventilation openings. This is because the oxidized iron is burning right away when at those high temperatures.

Attachments

• RCZR_disc_top.jpg
    RCZR_disc_top.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 2,192

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Hi fellow RCZ-enthusiasts,

As time fly, my parting with the R comes closer. I have reported here about my planned successor to the R and, among others, pointed to the new Peugeot 508 GT 225. This option is now off the books. Peugeot in Germany is not able to make me an offer I would accept. Instead Volvo came up with a very good offer for the spanking new S60 in T5 disguise.
I would pay less for the Volvo and receive almost all the same toys & equipment except for the night vision which is only available with the 508.
But instead of having a 1.6 turbo under the hood of the 508 working at its limits I would get a 2.0 turbo with the Volvo. And some room for improvement. Those 2.0 come with 250 horses from factory and capable of 270 horses. That is fine with me for a car of this class.
I have been in few newer Volvo rental cars recently and I must admit I felt in love with the new class of Volvo cars. The ride quality is a notch above Peugeot.

But the more important question, what about the R?
I still don't know if I keep her. I want to turn down my working hours which equally means my income would go down. That is a factor I need to take into my calculations. I have had tremendous 5 years with her as a daily driver, enjoying way over 100.000 very fast miles with her. The kids love her, my wife not, haha, cause it is too flashy and too low to get into it. Bummer!
So you already can see where the journey goes, back to a 4 door lim.

I wanted so much to join one last RCZ meeting, be it one of the UK meetings or Danny's +100 RCZ worldwide meet. But I will not make it due to other responsibilities. I still hope I can make it on short terms but honestly it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

Plecodoras

Reaction score

That's a shame RCZ R you have given valuable advice and information whilst I have been active in the forum, and for that I thank you.
I have driven the Volvo and like the position and class interior that it has, but my Z to me is as near to a sports car as I probably can get.
A shame that we never got to meet and I have been across to three European meets and two alpine drives with Danny and his merry men!
All the best with whatever you decide, have fun and safe driving. Cheers M...

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Thank you!

As you can see my parting with the RCZ R already takes almost half a year :lol: .
Not an easy step, I can tell you. I would never have thought the RCZ will get so close to my heart. I will do anything in my power to keep her as long as I can. But the clock is ticking, both on my side and hers ODO (accumulating about 2000 miles each month).
Due to my limited time&parking space I currently don't see a chance to keep her locked up for the occasional Sunday drive. I even stopped my pursuit for the new Alpine. Hell ya, I might even change countries sooner or later. So a lot of things going on my mind right now.

I often catch myself talking to my R while driving. My kind of OCD, haha. And I often have to haul hundreds of miles on a single day passing all those boring volkswagens of this world rolling like a gray steel band of misery on the roads. Only on rare occasions you meet something extraordinary on the roads. And then I talk to her, look out, you are the beauty on the road! And fast you are as well! Like a sexy sprinter on the fast lane! Do you want to go 150 for a while? Yes, you do? Me too! :lol: :lol:

I still hope I can squeeze out another weekend with her in the Alps this year. My petrolhead buddy over here keeps asking me about another trip into the Alps. He now owns a new Audi RS3. Not my piece of cake but I don't care what he drives as long as we have good fun on those trips. This short trip is now in the makings. And maybe another trip to the race track.

RCZ-R

Reaction score

QUESTION:

Does someone know if the oil cap on our engine is all the same across all THP engines?
I mean that part here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE- ... ctupt=true

Mine is leaking oil (on the rubber part underneath) and messing up the whole engine. I need to replace it.

Thanks!!

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Problem solved. I ordered a new oil cap at my Pug stealer. Same price as fleabay (nice surprise).
While checking the engine I noticed two ignition coil got a bit loose. The clamp on top of them was not tight. And the breather tube from valve cover to intake was a bit leaking. Tightened. Done.
That's for the time being.

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Last weekend I treated my R with a proper detailing. Outside only as the inside is tidy and clean all the time :dance:

It was the typical wash, clay, polish, seal and buff up session.
I must say the paint on the front looks like Swiss cheese. 5 years of high speed driving on autobahns took its toll. I have millions of small stone chips and few bigger as well. The lower front lip looks like a scruffy dog used it a its toy to cling to :lol: .
Front screen also collected few stone chips and cracks.

Other than that the paint looks great. There are some small scratches coming from all the car washes I visited. But they can be easily buffed out (no cutting required).

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Another milestone passed.

She is past the 200.000 km mark (about 125k miles, so it is time to change the thread's title). I still continue to drive the RCZ with much pleasure. Although recently I used a lot other cars to move around the country, she is still my first choice. :greetings-wavingblue:

Attachments

• 200tkm.jpg
    200tkm.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,535

Flanners

Reaction score
Excellent! Makes me happy that the R has the longevity, I can just about mentally cope with the cost of discs and pads so good to know the turbo and mechanicals can take it especially as much is bespoke to the R. :clap: I don't thrash my cars but enjoy the odd spirited drive, my Fiat Coupe 20vt is on 110K on the original blower.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
If, at all, I would identify the clutch as the weakest part in the whole drive-train. I'm on a second clutch because on the first one the pressure plates broke. There was hardly any wear-off on the plates themselves. The springs just went nuts. Now having done about 50.000 miles on that second clutch I feel the pressure plates slowly letting go. There are no real issues while driving, all works fine. But my sensitive bum tells me, it is on its way out again.
I drive all the time with heel-to-toe technique, no matter if in the city or on the roads out there. This technique helps to keep load changes from the flywheel and the clutch away.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
What a coincidence!

I met my R's sibling while on a shopping tour. The same paint, almost the same equipment (the other car had RT6 navigation) and the other R was still running on its factory-mounted GoodYear tyres.
The front discs didn't look "well-maintained" either. Like the typical city-driving car.

I waited for few minutes on the parking lot but the other owner didn't show up. I'd fancy a chat.

Attachments

• RCZmeet01.jpg
    RCZmeet01.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 1,487
  • RCZmeet02.jpg
    RCZmeet02.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 1,487

Plecodoras

Reaction score
This is mine and my old car, both going to Austria next month. Can't wait.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Over past few days I have been on another business trip driving the RCZ. Did some serious mileage with her. Again :lol:

I still enjoy her as a true GT car. She is fast, comfortable (mainly because of the R seats) and I just love to drive her.

Here you have a comparison of the ups and downs of the MPG I usually do.
The low MPG comes from a very fast blast over the autobahns.

Those numbers equate to:
98 mph
21 mpg
524 miles

On the other side I managed following numbers during another day while driving on typical B roads.

Again, in english:
44 mph
47 mpg
275 miles

Few other pics outta my phone.

Attachments

• RCZlowmpg.jpg
    RCZlowmpg.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 857
  • RCZhighmpg.jpg
    RCZhighmpg.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 857
  • RCZtravel01.jpg
    RCZtravel01.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 857
  • RCZtravel02.jpg
    RCZtravel02.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 856
  • RCZtravel03.jpg
    RCZtravel03.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 857

RCZ-R

Reaction score
pics

Attachments

• RCZtravel04.jpg
    RCZtravel04.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 853
  • RCZtravel05.jpg
    RCZtravel05.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 853

RCZ-R

Reaction score
THIS IS THE END... my friend, the end...

For me it comes to the sad part where I will "have" to part with my beloved RCZ R.
My current situation, my upcoming undertakings and plans are asking for something else as a daily driver. It is hard for me to find the proper words when considering parting with her. I get very emotional with my cars, almost all of them apart from the both volkswagen I once owned, haha. But the R takes a special place in my heart.
And she took my heart by storm. I was spoiled when I picked her up at the dealer. Back then I was coming from a Renault Sport model, so my expectations were very high. And by all means, she didn't disappoint me. What a car this is! I only can recommend to any potential RCZ buyer to give it a try with the R. In the years before my R I also test drove the 156 & 200. Both very lovely cars with lots of give&take. But the R, yes but... ah, just give it a try and you will see&feel. :beer:

I will part with her during coming days. All is settled and only needs a signature.

Why not keeping her?
As I mentioned, other plans, different requirements and above all, no storage space. And I never kept her outside. And would not start doing this. This would break my heart.

I hope she goes into good hands. We will see.

The countless long hauls I did with her, all the great drives through Alps and almost all of the Europe, the plenty thumbs-up from other motorists and the typical question: Is this a cabrio? Does the top opens? Or the germans (and only them) asking me: oh, it wasn't enough for an Audi TT, right? Yes, right, I bought the sexy sister of the ugly TT. :lol:
All of this I will miss a lot.

Will I ever get another R? Who knows. James Bond told me, never say never. I still account the RCZ as the best-bang-for-money in its class. And as we all know, this kind of car class is diminishing. It is all about SUV nowadays, barf.

What will I miss the most?
The comfy R seats.
The relentless power on long autobahn hauls.
The won challenges with other waaaayyy more expensive cars I met on my way.
The get-outta-my-way appearance of her in other cars' rear view mirrors.
The reliability on all those long trips.
The loud engine noise while she warms up.
The burps and plops from the warmed up exhaust (oh yes, she got louder over time).
The ease of use and accessibility of the NG4 nav system incl voice recognition (works even at 155 MPH when pretty loud inside).
The brakes, oh yes, those race-car-bred brakes. Jeesss, I just love them. They saved my ass many, many times. Many times. Alcon & Peugeot, HUGE THANK YOU FOR THE COURAGE TO BRING SUCH BRAKES TO THE MARKET!! They made a huge difference on this car.
The engine. This lively, high revving turbo engine. Almost no turbo lag (when you know how to drive it) and the ferocity of revving up to 7000 easily. This engine felt always very alive. It run better on fuels from UK, FR and other countries than Germany (cause we put organic bullcrap into our fuel, ugh). But no matter what, it always proved to be a lot of fun to drive.

The car. Just the car as it is, how it tackles corners, how you can throw her around roundabouts, the tailbraking she loved so much, the urge to attack corners in the Alps on the limit and just enjoying the feeling when she pulls you out the corner on that lovely LSD (not the drugs, no, no, it is about some mechanical wizardry working for your benefits).
And yes, of course her looks. This is a car to which you take a second look while walking away at parking. She just shines on every parking lot.

I never felt the urge to modify her, at all. I did and still do modifications to my other cars, but with her I never had the feeling something is missing. Yes, we all love more power. But at the end removing the top speed limiter was good enough for me. If I recall all those autobahn blasts then there were maybe few others faster than me. The rest of the car felt like a glove on my hand, just perfect.

I will enjoy the last days with her and will keep her in good memories. My girls cried when they learnt she is going away. They have lovely memories of summer adventures in the Alps and other countries in the R. They also loved the speed and told to mum, hey mum, no one ever overtook us! We were first at the finish! (brings also a bit water to my eyes right now when I recall that...)

And a short message to the new owner: treat her well and she will return it to you in thousands other ways!