What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

+125.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

RCZ-R

Reaction score
hi guys,

I'd like to start here and continue, as the time goes by, my review of the RCZ R I drive on almost daily basis.

I start here with the first 30.000 miles she did since last year when I picked her up at the dealer. Spanking new (4 miles on the ODO).

Please be patient with me and cut me some slack when it comes to my english (I'm willing to learn, therefore go on, correct me :greetings-wavingblue: ) and the frequency I'm going to update this thread. I'm pretty busy and a lot on the road as you can derive from my mileage. I'll also add some pictures as this story goes on.

Alright, let's start.
I took Justine (that's her name) in June 2014 into my home. She's been nice to me since then. No mechanical issues at all.
Currently the ODO shows above 30.000 miles and I assume I will hit the 50k mark around end of this year or begin of 2016. I plan to keep the car until it gets to about 100.000 miles.

The R itself
I like the RCZ since it arrived on the market. I test drove the previous THP156 version back in 2010. Then I took a THP200 facelift for a test drive back in early 2014. But I waited for the R since it was disclosed as a concept car. I begged for it to arrive at the stores.
How do I drive my R?
Now that is quite important to know in order to put into perspective all the data and my experience I'm going to share with you. You must know I choose my cars by its driving abilities first. The car has to have a strong engine, a drivetrain optimized for maximum driving experience, a steering with lively feedback and strong brakes. Then as a next step in my decision cascade I look at the price, the brand, the boot or whatever comes into my mind.
I tend to drive very fast. As I currently spend most of my time on german autobahns that works fine with me. But I also do drive alot across Europe. Visited the UK with the R already two times.
When I drive I love to push the car to its limits. And mine. I see almost daily 130-150mph on the speedo. I love to accelerate hard, drive a clean line thru some corners, play with the car's dynamics, all within reasonable limits and always when driving alone and no other cars are within sight. I just love driving. And therefore I totally disregard car makers who do not offer true driving thrills.
So to sum it up: my R gets a lot of spanking. And I mean it. Let me put it this way: I'm annoyed by the speed limiter kicking in at 157mph :lol:

Running costs
Until now only the usual stuff like two times servicing and the front discs and pads have already been replaced. The pads two times (every 12.000 miles) and the front discs at the second annual service. They are pretty pricey, yes they are.
Honestly I'm a bit disappointed by their short lifespan. I do drive other cars and drive them at the same or higher pace and there is not this high wear-off at the brakes as it is with the R.
My previous daily driver had a Brembo big brake on the front and they lasted with my driving style almost 50.000 miles before both pads and the discs had to be replaced first time ever.
I will watch this area closely on the R as we move on...

Other than that no unexpected expenditures.

My MPG is about 25-27MPG average over the whole 30k plus. But I also easily managed a 47 to 50MPG (especially while driving in UK). On the other end my lowest was 15MPG which was a steady night run at 130-157MPH all the time.
I pay absolutely no attention to eco driving. It is not my ignorance towards environment but purely a lack of extra attention to it from my side. I could, but I don't do it with the RCZ. As long as I can afford it I'm going to drive fast. I'm totally honest with you here. Some might see it as arrogant, some will sense the true intention behind it (I love driving). At least I do not drive a diesel which has way more harmful emissions than a petrol engine at high speed.

Summer tires are good for about 12.000 miles on the front. If you swap them regularly you can squeeze out about 20.000 miles on those Goodyears. Keep in mind, driving at the very limit of the car...

Winter tyres do wear off quicker than summer, so a little bit lower mileage to be expected.

[EDIT]
found two pictures in my old phone when I picked up the car at the dealer.

[2nd EDIT]
Suspension/Chassis
This RCZ has been well set up by Pug Sport division. There is a huge difference to the THP200 which a sensible driver feels, especially at high speed corners. The R feels very planted and safe to be rushed through high speed corners. There have been few passengers in the car, owners of other premium brands like BMW and Merc, who were baffled how safe and confident the R takes any hi speed corners with hi and low elevations on the autobahns. One guy, owner of a BMW M3 said to me, no, I can't take this corner this quick with my M3, no way! He was scared when riding in the R.
Overall you have a lot of liberties with the R in the hi speed area. You gain confidence in overall grip, damping, steering feedback and of course those monster brakes.
You have to search in much more expensive cars for another step up in this area.

[3rd EDIT]
Modifications
I must admit I'm always tempted to modify cars I own. Sometimes it is down to simple wheels swap, sometimes it means tweaking the ECU's software and some engine's hardware.
I had some plans for the R before it arrived. There were thoughts of pushing the engine beyond its 270ish bhp or modifications to the suspension set up.
But you know what? After those 30k plus there is only one modification I went for. And another one still in the pipeline.
The R's suspension is well set up, up to full speed and I personally do not see any reasons why I should tweak it. The stance is perfect, the damping is good for its firmness, the rebound while travelling fast is good (could be a bit better here) and the wheel alignment does not cause overly high tyre wear off. I only miss a bit more chassis stiffness in some areas. I feel the chassis lacks a bit of stiffness in the middle of the car and a bit on the rear. Some strengthening bars would help here. But you only can sense that when pushing the car to its limits. Would I use an R on the track, I'd put some chassis strengthening on it.

The engine and the gearbox are just fine and I do not ask for any changes here.

So, what is the first and currently only modification?
The first one is a pipercross air filter. This small modification paid well off, especially in the higher speed regions. The car pulls definitely better in regions of 130MPH+.
I don't know if this sounds like a strong sales point when it comes to UK and its speed limits but if you like to rev your R a lot, do it! Change the air filter too! It is a reasonable investment.

The second modification planned is to remove the 155MPH speed limiter. I'm still in touch with the insurance company if that will violate any regulations they might impose upon me in case of...
But if that is waved thru, I will do so. I will keep you posted on that. At the end, I want to be the first to post a video on YT with the R going beyond its 157MPH limiter :cool:

[4th EDIT]
Finally I had the chance to put my R on a scale. She was filled up by 3/4. No other stuff in the car which could change the weight.
1340kg is pretty good when you consider the 1280kg claim for the dry weight.

Let me end here for a moment. I'll get back to you as soon as possible. :greetings-wavingblue:
Feel free to comment, ask, add whatever you feel to. Looking forward to it!

Attachments

• 000007km.jpg
    000007km.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 24,285
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 24,287
  • IMG_20150214_130622.jpg
    IMG_20150214_130622.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 24,054
  • IMG_20170914_175125.jpg
    IMG_20170914_175125.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 19,999

RCZ1

Reaction score
Re: 30.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

Interesting read as an RCZ R owner myself.

Hopefully my brake pads and discs last a bit longer than yours. I guess that they should as you travel at a lot higher speeds than we can get away with here in the UK (legally). Because of that my MPG is higher than yours. I'm currently averaging 39.9 MPG since I've had the car over the last 3 months and 3500 miles.

DKZ5745

Reaction score

A good post, and an interesting read. I tend to drive my 200 in a similar fashion (when possible), so it will be an interesting comparison looking at my figures/wear compared with yours.
Unfortunately, my car was pre-owned, so it's first 12000 miles were done by its previous owner. So far I have only increased that to 18000.
Top speed reached @ 133 and mpg averaging @ 32 mpg. I too have achieved well over 40mpg average when forced to drive far more sensibly due to traffic or OH, but I have had as low as 22mpg average when pushing hard on a run. (It often shows @15mpg during driving hard).
My front conties are getting ready for replacement, and I don't see them lasting the summer out. Hopefully the discs will be OK!
Also, no mechanical problems as such, a couple of small issues which were dealt with promptly by my dealer.

I would love to swap for an R, and haven't ever even been in one, but I know my OH would not want another Z after this one, due to no rear seat space, and we intend keeping this for a good few years.

I hope your motoring continues to be a happy experience :clap:

renegade79

Reaction score

Interesting post and I admire your total honesty :clap: Just one question, how many sets of tyres have you gone through since taking ownership?

P.S I wish you would help translate JP's 'R' video's on youtube because he sounds like a great character :eusa-whistle:

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Thanks guys!

I just went past the 50.000km mark this weekend (equates to over 31.000 miles).

Brakes: I'd say, if driven reasonably and the "usual way" compared to my BTCC style :lol: they should be good for like 3 annual services. I asked at my shop and they told me the other R drivers do not have this high pad wear off. This dealer sold like 3 or 5 of those R's during 2014.

Tyres: I went thru one set of those GY as they come with the car and one set of Pirelli winter tyres. Now those GY are done, down to 3mm at the front. I need new summer tyres.

Attachments

• IMG_20150712_171942-01.jpeg
    IMG_20150712_171942-01.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 24,303

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Here is one of the rare pictures where I managed a high 40ish MPG. This was on my way back from UK.
You see the indicated speed of about 75MPH and the distance I travelled (1425km, 880 miles) and the overall MPG. It was a mix of belgian and french autobahns, UK motorways and two days of London City traffic including the famous traffic jams. I took that shot on my way back. Pretty impressive for a nearly 300bhp car.

It says 6.4 litres per 100km which is about 44MPG
854km to go on that fill up
70kmh (43 MPH) av. speed

Attachments

• 44mpg.jpg
    44mpg.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 24,279

RCZ-R

Reaction score

And here is the almost "daily business" for my R :lol:

The MPG is about 15 here. But have a look at the average speed (almost 110 MPH).
The fastest and best pace on a long journey is between 210 and 225 KMH (about 130-140 MPH) for the R. Within this range the fuel consumption remains reasonable, the range stays above 400 km, so you don't have to stop for fuel every other hour or two and the car stays quiet inside.
And the A/C works. The A/C turns off as soon as the revs climb above 6000 rpms which is above 230 KMH. So either you race and sweat or take it easy and cool down :cool:

Attachments

• 224kmh.jpg
    224kmh.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 24,276
  • 224kmh_2.jpg
    224kmh_2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 24,276

renegade79

Reaction score

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "You drive an R and you drive it Fast". full stop. :clap:

2retro

Reaction score

And who took the picture whilst travelling at 224kph?!

RCZ-R

Reaction score

I love driving fast. Often driving at 150+ becomes boring to me and I wish I had a Corvette ZR1 to go beyond 180MPH :dance:
If I had a vette, I would...

Attached another fact I learnt about the RCZ. The fuel gauge is very, very precise. What you see on the picture has been actually taken while the engine was still running. I was able to put about 53 litres of fuel into the R.
Means, as long as the indicator is above ziltch, you can drive the RCZ.

Attachments

• IMG_20150304_093928_1.jpg
    IMG_20150304_093928_1.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 24,212

RCZ1

Reaction score

Yes I've found the fuel gauge is very accurate. You start to worry when the light starts to flash [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

renegade79

Reaction score

2retro said:
he's multi-talented this guy :mrgreen:

renegade79

Reaction score

RCZ-R said:
I love driving fast. Often driving at 150+ becomes boring to me and I wish I had a Corvette ZR1 to go beyond 180MPH :dance:
If I had a vette, I would...

Attached another fact I learnt about the RCZ. The fuel gauge is very, very precise. What you see on the picture has been actually taken while the engine was still running. I was able to put about 53 litres of fuel into the R.
Means, as long as the indicator is above ziltch, you can drive the RCZ.

how many warnings did you get on the display before you filled up???? :lol:

2retro

Reaction score

renegade79 said:
2retro said:
Well that's one word for it... :eusa-whistle:

renegade79

Reaction score

2retro said:
renegade79 said:
2retro said:
what does it say about the handling and stabillity of an RCZ when at well over twice the speed limit one could use a camera to take a photo :D

RCZ-R

Reaction score

renegade79 said:
how many warnings did you get on the display before you filled up???? :lol:

Countless :lol: I just click them away with the BC stalk

RCZ-R

Reaction score

RCZ1 said:
Yes I've found the fuel gauge is very accurate. You start to worry when the light starts to flash [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

That's it. People sometimes see the fuel gauge at very low and ask me, don't you want to fill up? You're gonna stop in a moment! Noooo, she's fine. There is a lot more to go :)

RCZ-R

Reaction score

2retro said:
renegade79 said:
2retro said:

in this case maybe I should not post pictures with 254KPH indicated :cool: