What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

+125.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Re: 30.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

RCZ1 said:
Over 40C ! You're joking aren't you ;)

This was last Friday. The temperature was hopping between 39 and 40. I took the picture about 5 minutes after I left an underground parking. Car was cool.

Attachments

• IMG_20150807_165805-01.jpeg
    IMG_20150807_165805-01.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 8,021

renegade79

Reaction score

Damn, thats hot!!! The air con compressor must be working flat out :D

rcz200it

Reaction score

I reached 43c the car Was so thirsty on fuel, over 40c the car goes slower!!!

RCZ-R

Reaction score

rcz200it said:
I reached 43c the car Was so thirsty on fuel, over 40c the car goes slower!!!

The good thing about R's intake is the fact it does not suffer that much from heat. It still pulls like a train no matter if plus 40 or chilling 10°C outside. The big intercooler is doing a fine job.
Nevertheless I do not torture the car with a lot of hi speed driving in those conditions. And I pay even more attention to cooling down the turbo before parking her in the garage.

A

Anonymous

Well with British summer, so low to mid 20's really, I'm getting 31mpg in my R.
However I do live in a very hilly area of the Cotswolds and am not really light footed. What's the point if you drive a performance car.

1 year old tomorrow and in for first service. Only 4700 miles.

Absolutely lovely car.

RCZ1

Reaction score

I'm not light footed but my average keeps going up each time I fuel up. I'm just short of 40mpg average on my Road Trip app which is more accurate than the car computer which is showing 42.7mpg average. My current tank of fuel is showing 44.7mpg.

RCZ-R

Reaction score

UPDATE:

I have some bad news here. No, not THAT bad :cool:

There was a first issue with the engine on my R. After 37.000 miles the ignition coils went bollocks and produced misfires under hard acceleration. Fortunately they were still good enough for a nanny-like driving pace but under hard acceleration the engine was stuttering and going into limp mode.
All this emerged rather quickly. The first time I noticed a very very slight misfire while accelerating was about 2 weeks ago when I was on a long trip across Europe. Then, last weekend it got worse and finally the car went into limp mode for the first time. The ECU was throwing those error codes: P1337, P1338, P1339 and P1340 (misfire on cylinder 1 up to 4).

Peugeot supplied new ignition coils under warranty and all is good now.

The cause of all this?
I'd say the heat from the turbo is killing them. The R produces some serious hot environment under the hood when driven hard. Although I always cool down the engine before every stop, be it arriving at home town, leaving the motorway and taking even an extra tour on low speed or taking it very easy for few miles before stopping at the gas station after driving very fast and hard on the autobahns, it just stores a serious heat under the hood.
I even pop up the hood for few minutes and let the engine run on my drive. All to help cool down the big turbo.
So again, I'd say heat kill them.
Now we will see if it takes another 37.000 miles to kill this set. Watch this space in May 2016 :lol:

renegade79

Reaction score

My thp200 also produces some amount of heat! I've never owned
A car that produces as much heat as this. I can only imagine how hot it gets in an R that has been driven as hard as yours :sleeping-yellow:
Still, at 37k your R appears to be a fairly reliable beast!!

RCZ-R

Reaction score

ANOTHER UPDATE:

yeah, generally spoken the R is pretty reliable. I'm a bit spoiled, cause I also drive a Lexus. These ARE reliable.

But the issue with the R didn't stop there. The same day I picked up the car from the dealer it prompted another error on my way back home. The same fault code as before. So I brought it back to them. As the coils were new, they changed the plugs again and the error is gone. Looks like it was rather down to a faulty spark plug than the coils.
Now I have a new set of coils :)

And the R pulls again like a train.

Exhaust gets louder and louder. Sounds very roarty now and crackles on the overrun. Like it very much. From outside the sound got deeper and darker.
Tomorrow I have some time to spend with the car. I will give it another detailing job and try afterwards to record the exhaust sound with my DSLR. From my previous recording of Ferraris on race tracks I know it captures sound pretty well.

DKZ5745

Reaction score

Glad it's all sorted now. You may well have a point with the under bonnet heat causing problems. It's hard to imagine that the coils Peugeot use could be THAT unreliable, yet they seem to be a fairly common problem, so something must be causing them to fail.
I know the old Renault 5 Turbo had all kinds of issues because the underbonnet temperatures were so high.

I wonder if anyone has put a bonnet air scoop on as a mod? It would probably spoil the look of things, but it might cool things down under there :eusa-think:

frankvdb

Reaction score

Just wondering what the problem with the spark plugs was?
There was an item in a Dutch consumer programme on TV about the Audi/VW 1.8/2.0 TFSi engine which have issues with high oil consumption with nasty consequences like internal engine pollution and coked up spark plugs.
Is your engine oil consumption normal?

DKZ5745

Reaction score

I mentioned my oil consumption to the dealer at my last service. I think mine is using a lot of oil, but they said it was normal :eusa-think:

frankvdb

Reaction score

My advice is to keep track of how much it is.
The oil will be burnt up inside the engine and it is not a good thing!

A

Anonymous

My brakes Replaced on warranty Because They were skewed and it was vibrating the steering wheel When I braked. It was Mainly When I drove more than 100km / h as it vibrated a lot of steering wheel When braking. Is it matrial error or can not handle the discs hard driving? I had to pay for the brake lining even That They had been worn out Aunt Because of bad discs.

tianorth

Reaction score

I had a Renault grand espace and the went through warped disk very easily.
I finally found a way to prevent disks from warping.
It's not the use of the braking that warps the discs but the residual heat after the braking.
When I drove I would brake to come to an almost standstill then release the brake to allow the car to roll forward and the stop the car using the handbrake (less than 5 mph and roll 2-10 feet).
This would stop the residual heat in the pads being transfered into the disc as the air gap was created as the car rolled forward.
This worked great for months, then someone else drove the car and they drove on the brakes, result was warped discs again!

tianorth

Reaction score

LasseRcz said:
My brakes Replaced on warranty Because They were skewed and it was vibrating the steering wheel When I braked. It was Mainly When I drove more than 100km / h as it vibrated a lot of steering wheel When braking. Is it matrial error or can not handle the discs hard driving? I had to pay for the brake lining even That They had been worn out Aunt Because of bad discs.
Warped discs = warranty claim.

Worn pads = wear and tear.

RCZ-R

Reaction score

frankvdb said:
Just wondering what the problem with the spark plugs was?
There was an item in a Dutch consumer programme on TV about the Audi/VW 1.8/2.0 TFSi engine which have issues with high oil consumption with nasty consequences like internal engine pollution and coked up spark plugs.
Is your engine oil consumption normal?

Oil consumption is a lot better than what Audi/VW claims to be "normal". A total of about 0.3 litres for 12500 miles.

I really don't know what the issue with the plugs was. I personally never had issues with new spark plugs being faulty. By the way, does anybody know what plugs the R engine runs? NGK Platinum?

RCZ-R

Reaction score

MISFIRE AFTERMATH:

Just a recap, I had issues with misfire, car went into limp mode, dealer fixed that and then I did like 2000 miles since then. The details are above.

Now the aftermath from those misfires is a clogged catalyst. I got another error warning last week but no limp mode. The engine was running just fine. And the car was pulling like never before. The sound got a bit louder with the exhaust burping and banging on overrun. Very nice. But I got a bad feeling. There must be something wrong with the exhaust system.
So I gave her back to the dealer and they diagnosed a clogged and burnt catalyst. Must be the aftermath from those misfires I had before.
Now I got a new catalyst and the car is back to normal sound :thumbdown:

renegade79

Reaction score

well, now you get to do it all over again and rack up another 30,000 hard paced miles on those autobahns.. :dance: