What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

+125.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Re: 30.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

Maybe I overcooked the topic with all those speedo pics. Sorry guys. My intention was and is not to brag about speeding (on unlimited autobahns). There are other car brands which accomplish a simple job of driving fast in a more or less straight line much better than the RCZ.

I tend to step hard on it cause I spend a lot of time on those bloody autobahns. And I'd rather not. Driving in Germany on the autobahns is not funny. Not at all. Each time I cross the border to another country I start to enjoy driving on a motorway again. On the other hand, in Germany it is all about stupid brands and according to most people living here only brands like BMW, Merc or Audi are destined for the left lane (in your case, the right lane). This leads to stubborn drivers blocking the fast lane with their feeble diesels at 120MPH (cause all diesels stop pulling north of 130). And they won't move aside cause they assume all the others also drive the same weak diesels (which is true to over 90% of drivers), so moving aside and allowing an attempt in overtaking before that lorry comes close in the slow lane, ends in refusal. They even have a saying over here which goes: du kommst net vorbei! It means sort of: I won't let you pass!
Finally they loose it and move aside and watch with stupid look on their face how fast such R can get past them and disappear.

But in general driving with the RCZ on german autobahns is OK compared to other Q cars. Most of the drivers do not recognize the RCZ as built by Peugeot but rather accuse this car to be built by Porsche or some other "sporty" manufacturer. So they willingly let me pass and get pissed (literally) when I get pass them and suddenly they realize, oh, it is a Peugeot! Sis is not OK! Sis car is not faster than mine car! Not in Germany!
Oh gosh, this is so funny over here. Then they step on it and try to keep up which ends in disaster. They even flash me from behind when I'm already like miles away. Why do they this? Are they going to kill me or slow me down with their high beams? I just don't get it. Once I even thought about writing a blog on this topic. But then I realized I'd spend my precious time on more valuable topics.
I, for myself, never flash them when sitting in god-like patience behind them and waiting for them to realize," oh wait, there is someone behind me which was not yet there few seconds ago, so he must be driving with a higher pace then me. Maybe I should let him go and continue with my own pace and peace."
My driving license is my income, so I cannot loose it over some childish actions on the road.

I could elaborate here many other stories on this topic, but I digress.

Next I'm going to shot few pictures of the car's interior and its wear-off. I will post it as a complementary topic in the first thread here. Spoiler alert, there aren't any :clap:

A

Anonymous

I have to say, I'm greatly enjoying your posts. :thumbup:

renegade79

Reaction score

+2

Completely agree. I really enjoy your posts and I couldn't care less what speed you do on any road - just keep doing what you're doing, enjoy your R and I look forward to hearing about it! :thumbup:

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Thanks guys!

I really appreciate that as often forums unfortunately can emanate a negative vibe towards experiences shared on such platform. This is definitely not the case here.
It must be down to the nature of RCZ owners who are more open to other opinions on any given topic. And they seek for smart alternatives. I mean, at the end we did look further than the usual audi TT-choice for a coupe in mid price range to find and to consider the RCZ. And we went for it :greetings-wavingblue:

Weekend is approaching and today I considered the next topic about my experiences with the R to be:

The R and girls
Yeah, macho macho man. No, really, there are way better cars to make impressions on women who are drawn towards cars. But the RCZ is making a strong case here either. Girls don't care if that is an R or a THP200 or whatever version of the RCZ. They love the shape, not the engine.
And since I test drove my first RCZ, the first phase of RCZ, there was this gazing, waving and thumbs up showing I never experienced before when driving other cars. And they were not a Reliant.
Now, do I like it or even do I seek this attention? Absolutely not. I prefer invisible cars, those Q cars you'd never put a bet on it when it comes to a drag race. So I even struggled with purchasing the RCZ cause I knew I won't be invisible with it.

But since I own the R I learnt to enjoy this attention, all the chat with strangers on gas stations, positive comments and questions about the performance (this is where the R fits quite well cause you can tell everybody, yeah, it is speed limited at 157MPH and pulls almost 300 ponies. And then you tell them, it's a tiny 1.6 engine and they go like, whoooooot?).
And yes, girls and women like that shape a lot. They also like the interior a lot. My girlfriend always says, this RCZ of yours is so tidy and nice I need to dress up when driving with it :lol:

I'd even go as far as to say this R boosted my business too. How? Cause new prospects see a nice car, clean, sporty which gives its owner the appearance of a healthy and life-enjoying person. And that fits to my profession quite well. I never thought about that until someone told me so. I like that as a side-effect.
It is not a type of car which superimposes kind of "another dick in another XXX car" (put your fav negative brand in those XXX) thoughts. People have an overall friendly attitude towards it.
I'm pretty sure there are also those who hate it, yeah why not, but at least I haven't heard anyone talk to me like that.
One of my pals own an audi TT and even he restrains from cheap audi-drivers comments like "there wasn't enough money left over for the original, was it?" or other stupid opinions. He is aware of the fact, this is the R version, you don't fool around with an R unless you own something much more powerful, like a TT RS. But his usual TT boosted from 225 to around 255bhp by Audi Abt is not a competitor to the R.

Getting back to girls before I close on that topic. Since I own the R there have been quite few of them wanting to have a ride. And make it a fast one! All of them were screaming and enjoying the ride.
Let me put it this way, I have a hunch they consider the RCZ making them look good when seen driving one. :greetings-wavingblue:

frankvdb

Reaction score

Pretty sure the last model sold in the US by Peugeot was the 505, which even was used as a cab in New York:

My father had a number of 505's (all diesel) and it was truly a large car. Pretty sure it was also the last Peugeot with rear wheel drive.

With regards to return of Peugeot to the US, they have stated that they first want to get their act together in their current territories (which also includes getting rid of niche models like the RCZ :crazy: )
http://www.french-cars-in-america.com/2014/04/psa-peugeot-citroen-back-in-the-usa-and-canada.html

RCZ-R

Reaction score

hi guys,

just added a new section, called Modifications, to the first page. Enjoy!

RCZ1

Reaction score

I've just read your updates in your opening thread. I agree wholeheartedly with you about the speeds for taking bends / corners. I keep pushing and pushing in the speeds I take corners but the car just keeps on going and gripping so so well. I wonder how hard you can push it before something bad happens? I think my nerve would give out before the car did :)

renegade79

Reaction score

If the R is de-limited how much more mph do you think is possible?

DKZ5745

Reaction score

This is a photo taken of an R with the speed regulator removed

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 9,013

RCZ-R

Reaction score

renegade79 said:
If the R is de-limited how much more mph do you think is possible?

Based on some gearing info posted way ago here I reckon it'd do about 265KPH or 165MPH.
Already now with the speed limiter kicking in at 157 there are not many revs left over till it bangs against the rev limiter.

RCZ-R

Reaction score

RCZ1 said:
I've just read your updates in your opening thread. I agree wholeheartedly with you about the speeds for taking bends / corners. I keep pushing and pushing in the speeds I take corners but the car just keeps on going and gripping so so well. I wonder how hard you can push it before something bad happens? I think my nerve would give out before the car did :)

The limit on the R is very high for daily driving. Very high. I'd say, the usual daily-driver Joe would consider you mad and a threat to the kingdom's safety when seen you driving the R at 90%. The R allows you to explore a wast area of cornering speed and pace before the things get a little bit challenging. Not in a bad way but in a way that requires to feel the car in every bit of a second and follow its directions and hints.
What is it? The R's front grips insanely. Especially if you let the LSD do its work (it does even without putting the LSD into action). That requires in my opinion to turn off your brain safety features. Yes, the brain's features. Cause you need to step on it before the apex of a corner and while your brain screams, slow down! for god's sake, slow down! you should stay on it.
Step on it and watch the LSD do the work. And grip that steering wheel with both hands like a man, not the hairdresser some accuse the RCZ to be built for. And hold it. The front will grip but watch out for the back in the middle of the corner. The R has this lovely tendency to support this way of cornering with a supporting rear. It tends to become a bit light and can slide nice into the mid of the corner allowing you to pull the car out of the corner with ferocity. But it does that at close to 100%.
This is a technique I love to use when going on-ramp on highways. The R pulls you out of the ramp with a speed where you don't need to match your speed to the cars on the motorway anymore. It is a process so much more satisfying than the usual driving technique "slow as a turtle in the corner, flat out on the straight".

I'm still due to an advanced driving training with the R. I'd like to do it to polish my skills and to have the liberty to throw the R like stupid on a obstacle-free area. I recommend this to any R owner to learn more about its last 10% of driving thrill which makes it so special.
After driving in and out the current Audi S3, the Ford ST, Beemer M135i, Golf GTI (DSG and manual) and the Megane 275 Trophy I come to the conclusion there is only one car which gives you more driving thrills in this class than the RCZ R. And that is the Megane 275 Trophy.

renegade79

Reaction score

How does the R feel at 150mph+? The tendency is for cars to feel light at high end speeds which doesn't inspire confidence in the driver to push it further or even to stay on the pace! I guess because the RCZ is such a heavy car that even in my car the front end feels solid and stuck to the road. I also love how my car ploughs through puddles like they aren't even there!

A

Anonymous

Interesting and detailed post, thanks. I am a 'swift' driver myself of a 200GT. Thinking of upgrading to an R in a year or two hopefully :thumbup:

RCZ-R

Reaction score

renegade79 said:
How does the R feel at 150mph+? The tendency is for cars to feel light at high end speeds which doesn't inspire confidence in the driver to push it further or even to stay on the pace! I guess because the RCZ is such a heavy car that even in my car the front end feels solid and stuck to the road. I also love how my car ploughs through puddles like they aren't even there!

It has only partially to do with the car's weight. And the RCZ is not that heavy. You can drive a heavier car which will feel more "light" at high speeds.
Yes, the R is very planted up to the limiter. And I assume it will also beyond. It feels glued to the ground, no matter what speed. This allows me to push thru hi speed bends at flat out where cars like BMW Z4 M or Audi TTS go off the accelerator. Done and seen that few times on the autobahns. Latest at 140+ they go off of the accelerator. And I tried it myself in other "sporty" cars like the BMW 335i, Audi S3, Skoda Octavia RS and the likes. They do not give you this concrete-like feeling of security when cornering at high speed.

But... as I have driven few other RCZ I cannot say the same for the THP155 or THP200. They miss a bit there. Especially the THP155 when you get past 130MPH the front gets very light and the car does not feel grounded anymore. I see the reason for that in the sway bar missing on this model.
The facelift THP200 is much better there but again, there is a big step forward when you drive the R. It is like a different RCZ. If you are a sensible driver you can feel it within the first few meters you are rolling.

I agree with you, the RCZ is very planted in wet! Even with summer tyres down to 3mm tread it feels safe.

frankvdb

Reaction score

You are right that the THP200 is different from the THP155: the 200 does have an anti-roll bar below the engine which neither the 155 nor the HDi have. The R even has more work done on the suspension and also has the LSD, so basically you get what you pay for!

drdino

Reaction score

The 200 has an extra brace bar between the lower wishbones. All RCZ s have anti roll bars.