What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Which petrol engine is best?

A

Anonymous

race0360 said:
I own a 200thp GT with extra toys added on. The engine performance, trim and handling suited me and my budget at the time.

I had tried all engines and the 200 suited my way of driving.

The 156 is too soft for my style of driving.

I like a exhaust note which the 200thp gives when you give it some wellie.

Comfort wise no problems, infact its a more comfortable ride that some of the sports cars I have owned in the past.

My dealership loaned me a 200 Hp yesterday whilst my RCZ was in the garage. The fake exhaust note was okay for the first ten minutes, but after that I found it quite annoying. It would be okay if I was still in my twenties and wanted the boy racer noise, however as it is only in the cabin and not a real exhaust note its a bit pointless. I was also disapointed with the gear change. I find my standard gearbox much slicker.

The added performance was nice and I thought the car handled really well.

A

Anonymous

Hart said:
race0360 said:
I own a 200thp GT with extra toys added on. The engine performance, trim and handling suited me and my budget at the time.

I had tried all engines and the 200 suited my way of driving.

The 156 is too soft for my style of driving.

I like a exhaust note which the 200thp gives when you give it some wellie.

Comfort wise no problems, infact its a more comfortable ride that some of the sports cars I have owned in the past.

My dealership loaned me a 200 Hp yesterday whilst my RCZ was in the garage. The fake exhaust note was okay for the first ten minutes, but after that I found it quite annoying. It would be okay if I was still in my twenties and wanted the boy racer noise, however as it is only in the cabin and not a real exhaust note its a bit pointless. I was also disapointed with the gear change. I find my standard gearbox much slicker.

The added performance was nice and I thought the car handled really well.

why isnt it a real exhaust noise...............???? vtec thats a noise thats the engine makes though :cool: M3 also :cool: the st focus and rs make a amazing noise.

but i hate the sound of subaru's/evo's thats noise pollution in my opinion

A

Anonymous

Hi Hart

Explain to me please why it is a fake exhaust note when you can hear it outside when you pull away and the exhaust note is from the rear of the car.

I have driven mine now for 8 months not ten minutes.

I was polite enough not to comment on the RCZ diesel sounding like my local taxi cab pulling up outside my house on a Friday night but I did not as I thought it was pointless.

A

Anonymous

I think the point Hart is trying to make that is the "fake Sporty exhaust note" is coming from the "sound box", and not the twin tail pipes.

It's not a real noise, in the sense of power and ooomphhhh. if you know what i mean. it's produced by the sound box, purely for sound.

The "sound box" is part of the sports pack option, this pack is standard on the 200bhp but optional on the 156bhp.

I did opt for this extra feature on my 156 GT and it costs around £320 i think, but i was more interested in the smaller steering wheel and gear knob, which are the other 2 parts of the "sports pack" option.
The idea of the "Sound box" which sits behind the bulkhead in the engine bay is to give a more "throaty note" appearance, and if i'm correct as Hart says it is far more noticable from inside cabin than outside to other people, in fact i would even suggest it cannot be heard by other road users or pedestrians, as it is intended to do just that, sound good on the inside.

I have driven both the 200 and 156, both with the "sound box" option, and as far engine tone goes, i think due to the sound box, they both sound the same from inside, a bit of a throaty note, but as for the tail pipe sound there is not difference with or without the sound box.

I do think the 200 gives a lot harder and stiffer drive, which then produces more road noise in the cabin than the 156 which was definatley not for me, again though this is my opinion, well other's have mentioned this too.

Anyway, If you purchase a 156 and do not go for the sports pack then yes it will sound less throaty on the inside than the 200 but only because the 200 has this sound box as standard, i dont believe it has anything to do with the tail pipes as both engines sound the same from the rear pipes, with or without the sound box.

A

Anonymous

Touching on GT v Sport spec again.

Personaly i believe that the GT is a better deal than the Sport, it's not only the "toys or gadgets", and there are lots of them on the GT that can be used or not at your convenience, you tell the car which to use and when and it's you as the driver that overides any settings as and when you feel the need. But it's not just all the gadgets that make the GT a better deal, the leather seats make a massive difference to the look of the cabin as it blends with the dash and door linings.
You also get bigger wheels, and yes possibly a bit more road noise to go with them, however the standard 18" inch wheels on the Sport spec just look so lost on the body of the RZC.

No matter which model you decide on, the RCZ is crying out for big bold wheels.

Side view on and i've done this, the difference between an RCZ with 19's and one with 18's is massive, the whole car with the 19's look's lowered. It just finishes the look off.

One thing everyone will agree on is that if you get the combination right with model, colour and wheels, then there is not a better looking car on the road at present.

The hard part is making the decision on spec ect ect. And asking owners with different opinions will make the job 10 times harder. :crazy:

Some people buy the car for their specific needs , so will not be bothered one little bit about leather seats, auto lights, ect ect . and then others will want all the bells and whistles and love all the gadgets along with the feel of leather underpants.
So Good luck m8, your gonna need it. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

The sound box on the GT200 just passes the resonate nose from the exhaust into the cabin. It sounds the same outside as it does inside. This is exactly the same device used on my 998 when which has the sport exhaust button.

It is not a 'fake' noise at all, just meant to enhance the feeling of sportiness inside the cabin. Which despite the complaints of many I find very quiet and cocooning!!

A

Anonymous

Please correct if wrong i'm sure i've read on here that the sound box is an air induction noise rather than exhaust noise.

Either way surely it's designed to artificially enhance the noise.

Just found this on another RCZ blog, written by cj hubbard on msncars i think.

" Peugeot calls its noise generator the ‘Sound System’. As far as I can work out it’s a kind of membrane doohickey that’s attached to the exhaust, causing the RCZ to become much louder inside than it is outside. The Sound System is standard on the 200hp turbo petrol, optional on the 156hp turbo petrol; the 163hp turbodiesel doesn’t get a look in.

My problem? Well, it’s a combination of too much and not enough. The noise from the Sound System is basically ridiculous – it not only makes the car sound like it’s going faster than it is, disconnecting you from the RCZ’s true performance, Peugeot has also somehow managed to make it really resonant and boomy at certain motorway speeds. Which is a) rather unpleasant, and b) a weird situation to be in with an artificially tuned device "

here's the link if you want to read the full review.
http://cars.uk.msn.com/blog/inside-trac ... d59&_blg=5

To be honest i'm no expert on this sort of thing but i have read on here and other sites that this sound box thingy, is more of a gimmick than the real thing, and is used by not just Peugeot but other marques to make their engines sound sporty.

The point i was making is that BOTH engines sound the same with this device fitted, and BOTH will sound the same if neither have it fitted, so it's the device and not the engine that is making the 200 sound more sporty than the 156, and not the exhausts.

As for cabin noise and comfort in general well like i say, it's all down to personal opinion.

A

Anonymous

I think the point Hart is trying to make that is the "fake Sporty exhaust note" is coming from the "sound box", and not the twin tail pipes.

It's not a real noise, in the sense of power and ooomphhhh. if you know what i mean. it's produced by the sound box, purely for sound.

Thats exactly the point I was trying to make. :thumbup:

It's a pity someone has taken exception to my comments. You cannot hear any different exhaust note outside the car it is only a sound box. If you can, you might want to check your exhaust.

A

Anonymous

I think our comments on the sound box is a personal choice and could open a new thread or can of worms.

Getting bacK to RCZisAwsome question and this is my opinion only. 200thp a firmer ride with a little more grunt. 156 softer ride and reduced cabin noise (if sound box not chosen) both with GT or Sport spec with a choice of toys and trim to suit his budget.

All comes down to budget and PERSONAL choice.

A

Anonymous

race0360 said:
All comes down to budget and PERSONAL choice.

Totaly agree. :thumbup:

But i still think the throaty sound on the 200 is down to the sound box and not the engine or tail pipes, and this sound can be achieved on the 156 by just adding the sports pack option, therefor it stands to reason that its the sound box and nothing else that give's the car this sound.

I will add that even though i only went for the sports pack for the smaller steering wheel and gear knob, the sound that comes into the cabin from this "box" is rather good. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Hart
I did take exception to your comments.if I was still in my twenties and wanted the boy racer noise I would have fitted four 6" drain pipes on the back, blacked out the windows and fitted a boom boom box in it. Sorry to any twenty year olds reading this.

Constructive criticism not sarcasm

I had my say so I will move on, life is too short and I am due a blood pressure tablet.

A

Anonymous

race0360 said:
I had my say so I will move on, life is too short and I am due a blood pressure tablet.

I know the bloody feeling m8. :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Not sure how many times it has to be stated, the sound kit just transfers the existing exhaust tone into the cabin bypassing the sound suppression. It does this by picking up the sound from the resonator box and passing it through a membrane into the cabin. It does not generate any noise it just passes the sound inside.

So from the outside the car sound the same but from the inside you hear more of the exhaust tone. It is the same system the Porsche use on the 'sports' exhaust. The idea is that some people like the sound of the exhaust and feel it gives them more connection to the car but without fitting a society annoying drainpipe exhaust suitable only for boy racer chavs.

A

Anonymous

I think we've got a bit off track here.
This all started because someone made the comment that they liked the sound that the 200 made, so i and others have remarked that this sound will be the same on the 156, if a sound box is added to the 156, which is standard on the 200, therefor you would not not hear a "sporty throaty" tone from the 200 without this device.

It has also been said here that this tone can be heard from outside when pulling away and from the exhaust tail pipes. I disagree, it can only be heard from inside. That is all it's intended to do.

QUOTE "So from the outside the car sound the same but from the inside you hear more of the exhaust tone" UNQUOTE

So I think i'm right in saying that your above quote confirms that the tone listened to from outside is a "normal" tone, ie not throaty, but is enhanced inside for the benefit of the cabin passengers only, just as we and other reviews have said along with about this system.

A

Anonymous

I think this is a case for the Peugeot Technical guys to answer straight from the horses mouth. If you are out there then please answer our pray.

Its all getting abit technical now. Can someone e-mail this tread to the guy that normally answer our call for help!

We have now hijacked RCZisAwsomes thread. SORRY

A

Anonymous

Race,
i honestly do not think that the engine or tail pipe tone is any different between the 200 or the 156 (with the sports pack sound box).
This sound box thing is just to enhance the sporty tone inside the cabin, ok it may be enhancing the exhaust tone, and how it does it, well i cant really be arsed to be honest, but i do know that without this device the tone would be far less apparant in the cabin, in both engines.

I do think it sounds good, and would'nt mind at all if it could be heard from outside too.

A

Anonymous

jactac

I think we will call it a day on this topic about the sound box. We both agree that we like it so sod the rest. Fake or not

A

Anonymous

i remember test driving a punto abarth ss it had1.4 turbo engine it was a nice sounding car and had very sporty sounding exhaust wether you where in the car or outside.................. :cool:

this is a really thin skinned forum ;) its the "the 200 club v 156 club" or "the sport club v the gt club" ;)

A

Anonymous

race0360 said:
jactac

I think we will call it a day on this topic about the sound box. We both agree that we like it so sod the rest. Fake or not

Well said, :text-goodpost:

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
i remember test driving a punto abarth ss it had1.4 turbo engine it was a nice sounding car and had very sporty sounding exhaust wether you where in the car or outside.................. :cool:

this is a really thin skinned forum ;) its the "the 200 club v 156 club" or "the sport club v the gt club" ;)

Jassy,

i think you really have hit the nail on the head there m8, nobody will give in, and everybody has their own opinon, which is always the only opinion that counts.

Forums eh. :lol: