What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Which petrol engine is best?

A

Anonymous

Hello Forum!

I am thinking of buying an RCZ next year, and I am wondering which petrol engine is the best all-rounder? I don't want a diesel as I am aware that this has a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and it will probably cost me a fortune to replace frequently as I use the car primarily for journeys of about 4 miles or less. I have heard that the 156 is best for comfort and the 200 is best for a more 'enthusiastic driver'.

Thank you!

A

Anonymous

i can only comment for the 200, and will say that it is indeed a very hard ride, and you can get quite a bit of road noise, but i come from a pug 205 convertible,,, and then i had always the sound of the wind on the freeway,,, and yes,,with the top closed :p lol

A

Anonymous

manelin said:
i can only comment for the 200, and will say that it is indeed a very hard ride, and you can get quite a bit of road noise, but i come from a pug 205 convertible,,, and then i had always the sound of the wind on the freeway,,, and yes,,with the top closed :p lol

Good old Peugeot build quality! :) It seems to be getting better, though! I have a 2008 '58' BMW Z4 and the ride is very hard and there is a lot of wind noise at motorway crusing speed! :) Sounds like the 200 drives better than the 156, but it has a stiffer setup. This is gonna be a hard desicion!

A

Anonymous

I've driven all three and the 156 is better (for me!) I found the 200 very stiff - I drive mine mostly around town and for short distances and theres a lot of "traffic calming" bumps and chicanes in my neck of the woods.

best advice though is to book a couple of test drives and try 'em out :dance:

A

Anonymous

Good advise,take all three out as the diesel make's perfect sense,as stated on this forum i do like my 200THP but the suspension is rock hard,but then again you may prefer it,plenty of dealers use them to make your own mind up :thumbup:

RCZ1

Reaction score
I have the 156 and to be perfectly honest this suits my needs perfectly. There's enough power when needed for overtaking or having a bit of fun on those bendy country roads. When you need a cruiser it's also perfect at that too and just wafts you along. It is also cheaper to run, cheaper insurance, excellent MPG etc - a win, win situation and perfect for your needs by the sound of it :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Sounds like the 156 will suit my needs. Really, I want a GT with the sat nav.

:happy-wavemulticolor:

A

Anonymous

I have the 200 and think it way outclasses the 156 which I found very lethargic. The ride on the 200 is firmer than the 156 and it feels more like a sports car. It corners much flatter and feels more rewarding to drive.

If you are looking for a quieter grand tourer then the 156 is perfect, if you want something that feels more 'alive' then the 200 is better. Many complain of more road noise in the 200 but I don't really notice it anymore than the Audi and I enjoy the 'connection' with the road.

If you want a true grand tourer with great economy go the diesel route as that is a great all round car.

A

Anonymous

Coming from an Audi TT and a Ford racing puma owning a 200 is second nature to me. Ride is firmer plus you get that nice exhaust note on acceleration. Drives like a sports car should.

A

Anonymous

Is there any difference in equipment between the two bhp outputs (apart from sport pack)?

A

Anonymous

RCZisAwesome:) said:
Is there any difference in equipment between the two bhp outputs (apart from sport pack)?

Yes. The 200 are all GT spec. They get extra bracing on the suspension as well as uprated fron brakes. The engine has different geometry as well and VVT.

RCZ1

Reaction score
mr shiney said:
RCZisAwesome:) said:

Yes. The 200 are all GT spec. They get extra bracing on the suspension as well as uprated fron brakes. The engine has different geometry as well and VVT.

Not quite true - the 200 comes in Sport and GT Spec, like all the models :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Test Drove the 156 first. Thought it was a nice drive but it didn't feel as quick as I'd hoped. Then went to a different dealer a few days later and drove the 200 petrol and thought this is more like it, more responsive, better sound and now i'm seriously thinking of ordering one.

One thing I can't quite understand is why only 9 out of 1,900+ customers have ordered the 200 Sport which for me appears to be the best spec. If you want a sporty car to match the RCZ's undeniable sporty looks then I'd expect alot more people to order the pokier engine in sport spec..... or am I missing something? Wouldn't want to order a spec that no one wanted a few years down the line so if anyone knows why less than half a percent of customers order the 200 Sport I'd be grateful.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Are you getting confused with the specs? The GT offers more "toys for the boys" And comes with leather. If you are paying 200 prices then I for one would expect to have leather as standard, which is not the case if you choose the 200 in Sport spec.

A

Anonymous

For me personaly i found that the 200 on my test drive was far to hard ,stiff and had a definate increased cabin noise.
The power from 156 engine was more than ample for my needs and a little softer and more refind drive than the 200.

Having said that i still find that both the 200 and 156 in general a firm drive, which for me leads to a rather noisy cabin, but i do have the 19 inch wheels, which probably add to cabin noise.
So if i had chosen the 200 over the 156 then i honestly believe that the extra firmness and cabin noise of the 200 would of been too much to cope with on a daily basis.

The 200 is without doubt a firmer, stiffer and harder drive. Basicaly i think track day sort of stuff. Yes it's a bit quicker, it's bound to be, but do you really need that extra 40 bhp and a harder, louder cabin when the 156 engine can meet it's needs on "normal" roads and motorways.

As for the spec, the 200 and 156 both come as Sport or GT, if you buy the 200 Sport or 200 GT it comes with the "Sports pack" as standard. (smaller gear knob, smaller steering wheel and something to do with the airbox intake). But you can purchase this pack on the 156 for around £300, as i did. The GT spec is a nice spec to be honest, especially if you add little bits. And i personaly would go for the GT over the Sport, no matter which BHP you decide.

Only you can decide, but if i remember rightly it was something like £2300 more just for the 200 bhp over the 156 bhp. Well i'm sorry but nope, all that money just for an extra 40bhp and a firmer drive.

Again though it's down to what YOU want as a driver and as an owner. Will people want the 200 in years to come ? will people want the 156 in years to come ?
How long is a piece of string ? But i think they will opt for a GT spec before a Sport.

RCZ1

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't opt for a GT spec over a Sport. The only thing letting the Sport model down is that there is no option to have leather seats. For me the GT spec is not worth the extra money. I certainly don't want 19" inch wheels, the ride is too harsh and I don't want or need automatic lights, wipers, etc. I want to decide when I put my wipers on (Gtechniq G1 means I don't need them when the car would be telling me I do!) and I also want to decide when I put my lights on, etc. I've had these features on past cars and I to be honest I found them really annoying, hence the reason I don't want them.

At the end of the day, its each to their own and what your wants/needs area ;)

A

Anonymous

i have come from 198bhp civic type R to a 156 bhp gt i have not driven the 200thp but i have not noticed the difference in straight line speed until you break the law 70mph+ then you do notice it say at around 85 mph but being able to do speeds above 70mph these days is rare,i am averaging 41.4 mpg just now :thumbup: instead if 30mpg if i drove the civic pedestrian like which was near impossible but saying that it could go round bends faster than any rcz buts its suspension was firmer than any of the rcz range,my advice would be go for the 156 gt and load it up with a few extra toys rather going for the basic 200 gt

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
I personally wouldn't opt for a GT spec over a Sport. The only thing letting the Sport model down is that there is no option to have leather seats. For me the GT spec is not worth the extra money. I certainly don't want 19" inch wheels, the ride is too harsh and I don't want or need automatic lights, wipers, etc. I want to decide when I put my wipers on (Gtechniq G1 means I don't need them when the car would be telling me I do!) and I also want to decide when I put my lights on, etc. I've had these features on past cars and I to be honest I found them really annoying, hence the reason I don't want them.

At the end of the day, its each to their own and what your wants/needs area ;)

automatic windscreen wipers and autoheadlamps are useless and having no leather aint that bad either,the only thing i didnt like about the sport was the dull grey cloth seats i mean the colour,my civic had alcantara on the bolsters/headrests but red cloth in the middle which was nice. personally i aint a fan of full leather seats,

A

Anonymous

I opted for the 200THP in sport spec for pure financial reasons,but i will add my car which is charcoal with the spirit grey alloys a £220 optional extra,does look cool :eusa-think:
and many people have commented on the two colours blending together,it does look aggressive and buisness like being a pure petrol head the extra leather and other items listed on the GT would be fine,but the sport suits my daily needs and as stated its pure personal choice. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I own a 200thp GT with extra toys added on. The engine performance, trim and handling suited me and my budget at the time.

I had tried all engines and the 200 suited my way of driving.

The 156 is too soft for my style of driving.

I like a exhaust note which the 200thp gives when you give it some wellie.

Comfort wise no problems, infact its a more comfortable ride that some of the sports cars I have owned in the past.