What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Tyres - How Many Miles on First Set

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

How many miles are people getting on their first set of tyres?

I have an RCZ GT diesel, its done 33k and I am at the point now where all four tyres are just about on the limit (switched the fronts for the backs about 8 monts ago).

Is this pretty typical or are other people getting more/less miles?

Cheapest place I have found so far is Camskill who can do the conti's for about £205 quid each (tyres only, not fitting), any recommendations for where I might get a better deal?

Cheers,

Anthony,

A

Anonymous

Why do the first set seem to last so long & the brake pads come to think of it? CamSkill are very good probably one of the cheapest options out there

A

Anonymous

I don't think you'll be able to source them any cheaper than that to be honest but I do recall one member tracking them down for £195 somewhere. Maybe if you say that you're "thinking" of changing all 4 tyres, what can they do as a special price you may see some discount given. There are always deals to be done!

A

Anonymous

The joys of having winters...shouldn't have to replace my summers!

A

Anonymous

Sounds about right i put 4 19" conti3 sports on my last car cost me £845 fitted

A

Anonymous

donnaj1dlh said:

My plan too...mind you...the winters have cost me more than the summers and that's excluding fitting/removal 3-4 times over!!! :(

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
donnaj1dlh said:

My plan too...mind you...the winters have cost me more than the summers and that's excluding fitting/removal 3-4 times over!!! :(

Aye but Contis are less than useless in the winter months! Safety first :lol:

A

Anonymous

33k on a set of tyres that's a record god normally tyres only 16-17k especially the fronts ,rears are normally 30k just like you have done

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys,

So it sounds like I should be happy with 33k then on these tyres and £200 a corner is about right.

One further question, has anyone fitted 235/35/R19's instead of 235/40/R19's to an RCZ? There are some much cheaper options on high quality tyres in this size. If anyone has I'd be interested to know:

1. Do they look ok on the car? or is there an obvious change in the gap between the arch and the tyre?
2. Is the ride, handling and noise ok?

Just exloring my options.

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

Rczmk said:
Why do the first set seem to last so long & the brake pads come to think of it?
I was told, the reason your first set of tyres wear better than subsequent ones, is because all the components are new and so correctly aligned etc etc.

A

Anonymous

a_french said:
Thanks guys,

So it sounds like I should be happy with 33k then on these tyres and £200 a corner is about right.

One further question, has anyone fitted 235/35/R19's instead of 235/40/R19's to an RCZ? There are some much cheaper options on high quality tyres in this size. If anyone has I'd be interested to know:

1. Do they look ok on the car? or is there an obvious change in the gap between the arch and the tyre?
2. Is the ride, handling and noise ok?

Just exloring my options.

Thanks again
Your speedometer will not read true as a consequence.

A

Anonymous

Exactly what RON says and also few of them will meet the road gearing demands. Not to mention the ride will be harsher. It's not worth it for the saving. There are cheaper tyres out there that are the right dimensions should you be willing to move away from Continental. Nankang AS-1(s) can be sourced in 236/40 19 and are Y rated and they are about 114 bucks a tyre.

A

Anonymous

Appreciate the advice and I do accept that there is some compromise. ride and noise being the obvious ones. Noise I think can be resolved by picking a high quality low noise rated tyre.

However using a tyre calculator the speed difference is not that much, only about 3mph up at 100mph. So much less at lower speeds.

Would still appreciate more feedback if anyone has actually tried this size on an RCZ.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

a_french said:
Appreciate the advice and I do accept that there is some compromise. ride and noise being the obvious ones. Noise I think can be resolved by picking a high quality low noise rated tyre.

However using a tyre calculator the speed difference is not that much, only about 3mph up at 100mph. So much less at lower speeds.

Would still appreciate more feedback if anyone has actually tried this size on an RCZ.

Cheers.

Donna is using this size for her winter tyres. I'm not sure that'll help any but I'm sure she would be happy to offer any help that she can...

A

Anonymous

Yeah the Speedo difference is nominal Donna has 235/35/19 on just now winter tyres though.my experience of this was with my Honda l had 2 different wheel sizes 2 different wheel styles though 225/40/18 then 225/19/35 and the difference was considerable but only for the first few occasions after the swap then you get used to them l Will go for 35 profiled tyres when they need a change a 35 profile may speed up the steering a little as the tyres are lighter l also jumped a profile one time from 205//45/17 to 215/40/17 just because the the 215 were cheaper

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks very much. Will be interested to see what Donna has to say.

Presume the change in tyre profile will not impact warranty?

A

Anonymous

a_french said:
Ok thanks very much. Will be interested to see what Donna has to say.

Presume the change in tyre profile will not impact warranty?

I think you may find a few quibbles depending on what suffers tyre as you could face an argument that unusual wear is a direct result of using the wrong profile. I'd be more concerned about your insurers to be honest as they'd have every right not to pay out on any claim. I'd phone and enquire what their stance is on this.

A

Anonymous

Here's the oracle with her experience :eusa-whistle: .....

I am indeed using 35s for my winters instead of 40s. The speedo will be a fraction out, I found a wesbite online that compares tyre sizes and speeds (can't remember it off the top of my head, but i found it by googling it) anyway, I think it only works out about 3%, on the right side i.e. 70mph is actually gonna be somewhere nearer 68mph.

Handling is fine - but takes a wee while to get used too on the wintergrips (as they're much more tread lines, therefore less rubber actually on the road) can mean it seems a touch 'wayheh' to start. Soon get used to that. I did think about letting the psi down a fraction to compensate.

Road noise is perfectly acceptable - I even think a bit better but I put that down to the winter rubber rather than the profile. A touch harder ride but nothing to get annoyed about.

IF I needed a full set of new summer tyres (unlikely as I'll only be keeping the RCZ three years and will have about 12 months of that using winter tyres. So only about 25K on the summers) but if I did, I would seriously consider 35s - there so much easier to get a hold of than 40s and therefore cheaper.

And I think she looks better sitting on 35s - but the wheel is a lot nearer the kerb!! My winters have rim protection though - certainly worked when I got run off the road and slashed a tyre wall!

A

Anonymous

35 are the way to go :thumbup: any photos of the 35 winter tyres D

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
35 are the way to go :thumbup: any photos of the 35 winter tyres D

Next 'daylight' opportunity I get Jass .... they're still covered in glue just now though! :eusa-shhh: