What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

The Banter Thread

A

Anonymous

This post has been prompted by Diggerd but is not in any way an attempt at having a go at him, more his profession.

So to start I feel that I need to explain a couple of things, so that anybody bored enough to read this will fully understand. A "shunter" is a person that drives a vehicle designed to move trailers about in order for them to be loaded/unloaded within the confines of the business premises. A "tug" is the vehicle that a shunter drives, it is similar to a road going tractor unit, but differs in that it lifts the trailer clear of the ground as opposed to having to wind the legs clear of the ground as a driver of a tractor unit would need to do in order to move the trailer. A "T bar" is the metal bar at the rear of trailer to prevent vehicles from running under the back of the trailer.

I worked as a shunter at a brewery. We had several areas defined as trailer parks. Health and Safety deemed it to be unsafe for pedestrians (wearing Hi Vis clothing) to be in the same vicinity as moving vehicles and so decreed that they must have a designated walkway, around the main trailer park and not through the centre of it.

They decided that a walkway should be marked out around the perimeter of the trailer park and thus behind the parked trailers. Until a pedestrian put in a "near miss form" that they had been on the walkway whilst a trailer was being reversed into a trailer parking bay and that had the shunter not stopped in time, they could have been injured.

Health and safety naturally decreed that indeed this was a hazard and promptly (without discussion of the shunters) decided that trailer stops were required to avoid the possibility of a trailers reversing into pedestrians. So they measured the height of the "T bars" of the trailers parked up. 8" tall metal stops were secured to the floor to ovoid this hazard and prevent an accident.

Duly in place, yours truly reverses a trailer into a bay using a tug and promptly rips the "T bar" of off the trailer. The elevated trailer causing the rear of the trailer to be lower than that of the static trailer that had been measured. Was this a H&S cock up and management cock up? no it was mine!!! I was suspended immediately and threatened in writing that my future with the company was in jeopardy for "damage to company property" Whilst I waited for the formal process of dismissal to proceed a further four "T bars" were ripped off of trailers.

It became apparent to management that the height of the trailer stops was incorrect and they needed to be reduced. (no the H&S man was not disciplined for damage to company property) They were all lifted and replaced with shorter ones.

A driver checking his trailer and fastening the curtain straps, tripped over the trailer stop and injured himself and was hospitalised, causing the load to be delivered late and subsequently rejected by the customer.

The investigation showed that the trailer stops were too long and protruded from the sides of the trailers. They were all lifted and cut down, in order that a trailer would cover the stops and avoid a reoccurrence of the incident. It didn't prevent a reoccurrence, because a driver performing the same duties tripped over a trailer stop in an empty bay adjacent to the one that he was working in.

The investigation showed that these trailer stops were not easy to see in the dark and recommended that they be painted in fluorescent paint to avoid a reoccurrence of the incident. In a different trailer park were management had had trailer bays marked out too close together that when fully occupied drivers were unable to wind up the legs of their trailers. We the shunters had made the decision to only park three trailers in the four trailer bays. Health and Safety had conducted many "yard checks" whilst our practice of not using the marked bays was in progress and no comments were received, until a driver tripped over the trailer stop! We shunters were all disciplined for failing to adhere to the yard marking. So we reverted to parking four trailer in this area. Following many complaints from drivers that we shunters were parking the trailers too close together (within the lines) management decided to close this area for the parking of trailers. Eventually they were relinedd to accommodate three trailers.

All of this was caused because H&S thought it safer for pedestrians to walk behind a moving trailer than in front in clear view of the driver!! How do these same pedestrians manage to walk safely to the shops without the help and guidance of H&S I wonder? The number of drivers injured, the cost of remodelling these trailer stops, the cost of the damage to the trailers the value of the lost delivery, not to mention the stress to myself of suspension and looming loss of employment. Was any of it necessary?

I could cite numerous examples of a similar nature, but I feel my disdain for all things H&S are apparent. Health and Safety have become like the unions did in the 70's, too powerful and we need a Margaret Thatcher type person to break them so that industry can revert to common sense once more.

A

Anonymous

cheers Ron. and no offense taken.
I understand your frustration is this matter and if you were to ask the HS nit wit if he'd ever been in a truck or shunted in any way his answer would be no! and thats the big problem with Elf and safety. too many "chicken farmers" as we call them, pecking around for the slightest little bug to pick on.. in your own case, i would have let it go to discipline. asked them for the written instruction that this is what they wanted you to do, and then left on constructive grounds as you believed that your safety was at risk in the blind actions they put in place. been there and done it with hampshire county council when they suspended my mum at work, long story, but when i asked for a copy of their risk assessment and a copy of the paperwork where they had instructed her to carry out the operation in a certain manner, they panicked and ended up paying a nice little sum for the issue.

I have been a safety man now for 10yrs and have worked in construction for 20+ I understand what the lads have to do, and if i don't then i talk to them, as they are best placed to solve the problem. if they had got the shunters round the table and asked for the solution what would you have done? and there lies the answer.
safety is there for us all, but its the man on the shop floor that knows how to do it in the safest manner, your still get your idoits and thats where the safety man should be focusing his attention along with the rest of his work colleges to educate the idiot before it goes wrong.

an accident is an accident easily explained as 'an unplanned and unforeseeable event' and thats where the insurance should pay out. But most of the accidents I investigate are foreseeable, there isnt an accident that hasn't happened before!

so I will leave it at this point.

An electric lead lays across the floor of a reception, throughout the day many 100's of people past through the reception and there are no incidents.. until, crash bang wallop, one broken leg! the usual round of the "blame game " goes on, its the lead,, its the cleaner, its the manager its the company, its policy..... well sorry guys, it was going to happen and the many 100's who passed over it knew that, so it was foreseeable and has happen before many times. easy solution? try and put an answer to it?

Diggerd

A

Anonymous

diggerd said:
cheers Ron. and no offense taken. An electric lead lays across the floor of a reception, throughout the day many 100's of people past through the reception and there are no incidents.. until, crash bang wallop, one broken leg! the usual round of the "blame game " goes on, its the lead,, its the cleaner, its the manager its the company, its policy..... well sorry guys, it was going to happen and the many 100's who passed over it knew that, so it was foreseeable and has happen before many times. easy solution? try and put an answer to it?

Diggerd

Well don't put up a stupid yellow sign to say "wet floor" for someone to trip over :thumbdown: If you can't see that the floor is wet and take the appropriate actions to protect yourself, then don't blame others for your own stupidity. If you was to see a lead across a reception then the correct action would be to remove it. Whatever the reason is for it to be there can be done in a different manner and one that doesn't put people of risks of trips and falls

A

Anonymous

well Ron with that common sense approach to Risk and the management of such risk, you'd make a good safety man.. like you say some of the chicken farmers would have it barrier ed of and signs everywhere instead of dealing with it.. you knew what to do, and many of the 100's knew that too, but their heads say 'not my problem' i'll step over!

Diggerd :dance:

A

Anonymous

Getting my house keys tomorrow.... Buzzing...

Want to get an arial feed into my "man cave" and came to the realisation that the electrical stores that littered towns in yesteryear have all closed up!

How the flip do you get a new arial point in a room these days?

A

Anonymous

Go even more old skool I think Figo, look in the yellow pages :eek:

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

Figo said:

Want to get an arial feed into my "man cave" and came to the realisation that the electrical stores that littered towns in yesteryear have all closed up!

How the flip do you get a new arial point in a room these days?

How exciting!! Your new place looks fantastic and happy moving! :beer:

A

Anonymous

Figo said:

<snip>...
Awesome, we moved 6 months ago and that buzz of walking up to the front door for the first time, key in hand and walking in is even better than picking up the RCZ! Enjoy!

A

Anonymous

Busy weekend... Kitchen repainted... Living room repainted... Master Bedroom repainted and sofas delivered :sleeping-yellow: :sleeping-yellow:

Tonight is RCZ day though as the car is looking absolutely manky!

Friday I have a day off to finish off the man cave and get the other bedrooms finished off with a lick of fresh paint.. and remove that massive bush out the front :lol:

Being my first purchase its strange how much more .... thorough.. I am being than when I had a rented flat for a year in my younger days

Even found time to re-seed the patches of the back garden where the previous owners had a climbing frame.

Attachments

• LandaleHalo1.jpg
    LandaleHalo1.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 3,673
  • LandaleHalo2.jpg
    LandaleHalo2.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 3,673
  • LandaleRCZ1.jpg
    LandaleRCZ1.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 3,673
A

Anonymous

Getting keys to a new hoose is a magic feeling Figo :thumbup: such an exciting couple of weeks for you ...graduation, house, wedding, honeymoon :dance:
Oh ..... put that bliddy spoiler down min .... you're just asking for it to be vandalised!! ;)
You can come and touch up my hoose once your finished (and got plenty practice in!!)...I mean paint it #readthatback :oops: :oops:

A

Anonymous

haha with the wedding / honeymoon in a little over a fortnight I think ill have my fill of "touching up" :lol:

A

Anonymous

Crikey, you don't half pack in a lot into a short time frame!

The new pad looks great! Even from just those 3 pics it looks to be a solid, quality building.

Exciting times!

A

Anonymous

Figo said:
haha with the wedding / honeymoon in a little over a fortnight I think ill have my fill of "touching up" :lol:

Remember and give my Roberto a cuddle from me!!! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

That really is a lovely looking home mate! :thumbup: It looks to be not too far from the academy if it's where I think it is?

Best of luck with everything over the next few weeks. I hope that you have a truly fantastic wedding day and a wonderful honeymoon! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

stevebasshead said:
The new pad looks great! Even from just those 3 pics it looks to be a solid, quality building.

You certainly get a lot of bang for your buck in P'Heid :) lovely family home :)

A

Anonymous

Figo said:
in between the school and the tennis court area.

Google Earth has been updated recently ....it still has Stewart and Watson sign in the garden! Am I right??

....nae stalking ..... just curious!

A

Anonymous

Well now you know where to go seeking your pants when they go missing off your washing line Figo!!