What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ's HONEYMOON PERIOD NOW OVER.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys :wave:

Okay time for some deep discussion about where the RCZ is going with Peugeot,as you may have read there is some rebellion in camp (myself included),Peugeot has had a superb year with it's introduction and its concept to reality was a vote winner by the press,that's why i purchased one,but like some others on the forum im looking to part ex in 2012,i can genuinely say if Peugeot make certain changes i will purchase again :thumbup:

With 2012/2013 on doorstep Peugeot are looking at severe competition,as you know Toyota and Subaru coupe combination,Mini coupe(JCW) and Audi R4 just to name a few,dont forget new Audi TT :eusa-think: :shock:

Im no marketing expert,just an average punter with some hard earned cash to spend on a stylish car that tick's some if not all the boxes.For me to consider another RCZ i would expect Peugeot to address some of these issues :wtf:

1) Sound quality in cabin,road noise in particular,(Drive a 2010 Audi TT feel and hear the diffrences so no excuses about low profile tyres).

2)Suspension damping on 200THP very crude and almost trackracer in feel,much prefer the softer setting on 156THP(spoils a superb chassis)

3)Some inferior plastics in cabin,and internal dash squeeks and rattles door mirrors on close opening sound's like my cat,after 8k what on earth will it sound after three years,(sorry to be repetative drive a TT)

4)The front stock end look,done and dusted (yes it's naff) Peugeot may listen on that one.

5)Keep the 156THP,good co2 and insurance rating :thumbup: 200THP engine up extra 10/15 bhp and soften damping please :eusa-think: introduce the 205bhp HDI diesel along with the current 163HDI maybee keep 163 as (sport) and the 205bhp as (GT) spec :eusa-think:

6)Wont see the light of day but enhance the exhaust note slightly again listen to the latest TT,a deep but non intrusive level of noise.

Please do not think im Audi mad far from it but when the benchmark is that of the TT then comparison's are made,mentioned on this forum recently,the RCZ it appears to be outselling the current TT,fine :eusa-think: but the current TT is coming to the end of it's life the RCZ is new and refreshing and cheaper to purchase,but look ahead please the RCZ will be 2 years old in 2012 and a brace of stunning new Coupe's on route :shock:priced in the region of the RCZ :eusa-think:

That's my view im sure not all will agree,that's the nice thing about any forum,my view is personal and i only want the best for the RCZ as i still think it can be a great car :thumbup:but changes are needed i think that even the core supporter will agree on that one :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Well there's no point in me adding anything to dolanog's list or comments, because i'm sure that by now my feelings on MY RZC are well known.
Once again i feel he's hit the nail on the head. :clap:

Ps, keep your head down son, theres gonna be some flak. :text-bravo: :lol:

A

Anonymous

I think you're right, the motto should be never stand still as you'll end up chasing the competition. For me the front end has to be addressed in a 2012 facelift - that big ugly peugeot badge has to go - needs to be like the new 308. I'm not sure about the interior cabin build quality - after all the RCZ is cheaper than a TT (so there's your answer - if you want better quality spend more and buy a TT). More engine choice (maybe with a hybrid) has got to come too. We'll see what happens....

A

Anonymous

Mlbblue said:
I'm not sure about the interior cabin build quality - after all the RCZ is cheaper than a TT (so there's your answer - if you want better quality spend more and buy a TT)..

Valid point i guess, (buy a TT) but it's not until you've owned & driven the RCZ for a little while do you realise how much road noise there is coming through to the cabin.

I will be honest and say that i was blinded by it's good looks and didnt much worry about the feel or how noisey it was on the test drive. And also the look inside the cabin is great, but after a little while those plastic trims inside do start to look rather dated.

If i were going to buy another RZC i would be waiting at least until 2012 to see if Peugeot address some of it's short comings.

There's a lesson to be learnt when you're a sucker for a pretty face. :eusa-think:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Not everyone has experienced problems with their RCZ. What's normally common for forums is that you hear about all the bad bits ie those people that have had problems with this or that. What about all the people who don't post because they don't have any problems?

You've also got to remember that that with any new cars to production that there are bound to be some issues. I suppose we are the guinea pigs for the first RCZ and it's only when some people experience these problems that they come to light and then solutions have to be found to rectify them.

Yes Peugeot do have to find solutions to some of the problems that have been encountered. That I do agree on. At the moment I am touching wood that mine continues to be trouble free. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
I suppose we are the guinea pigs for the first RCZ and it's only when some people experience these problems that they come to light and then solutions have to be found to rectify them.

:

Good point, a few years back i bought a new Megane, the one with the "ass", i bought it when they first appeared over here, it was an absolute nightmare, just about fell apart, i lost count of all the recalls, however the following year when all the niggles were ironed out, it only partly fell apart. :lol:

joking aside, it is a valid point, a car isnt truly tried and tested until it has been driven by all sorts of people with all sorts of different driving habits and needs.

Lets just hope that Peugeot, are good at doing the ironing :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Well I still love it. 2.0 HDi GT Suits my pocket and my needs. Ok the front end does not inspire like the rest of the car, but I knew that before I bought it. Most of the niggles that I'm seeing here are characteristics of the car that you bought. They are not design faults or failings of the car. It is what it is.

A

Anonymous

Guys where's all this negativity come from!!?, remember the one thing still unique about the RCZ is that it is different, a rare commodity, I drove 300 motorway miles today and didn't see one RCZ! I saw countless TT"'s and I think that is the main allure to me!.

Surely you are all experienced car buffs and would of known that the built quality was never going to be that of a german car, but what it does give you is that galic flair!! I understand that you are all owners and as of yet I am just an admirer but I am an experienced car man; and if you want something mundane and germaic then buy a TT or a 1 series coupe but you will never get the attention that your RCZ get!.

Cars go through facelifts, they evolve and get better, and to be fair the RCZ is a fantastic platform to improve, so let's get back to the positives because at this rate you'll have to be on Prozac to be a member of the forum!!!!.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guy's for the mixed comments,but one thing we agree on there has to be changes :eusa-think:
My negativity comes from manufactoror's apathy,one example the Mk5 Golf was refettled as a Mk6 four years later,subtle changes to bodywork,but the main gripe's not addressed :thumbdown: what happen's VW are now releasing the new Mk7 a year or so earlier.
Yes i agree the conept from idea to showroom was superb and Peugeot need full praise,and im sure it will happen with the Sr1 concept,as iv'e stated on numerous topic's if Peugeot may address some of these issues then i will purchase another RCZ as i do agree it's still unique and pricing is about right,and this car certanly suits my lifestyle ;)
Some of you point out why not go and buy the TT,answer is i prefer the look and style of the RCZ to other coupe's on the current market,but reality is that the TT is the benchmark and that's what Peugeot need to address,so possibly they can now make a positive example and make the RCZ the market leader in this coupe sector :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Most of the niggles that I'm seeing here are characteristics of the car that you bought. They are not design faults or failings of the car. It is what it is.

Noisy folding wing mirrors : Quality issue
Corroding wing mirrors : quality issue
Corroding brake calipers : Quality issue
Sticky gear change : characteristic of car (maybe)
AC thermostatic faults : quality issue
Intermittent electrical faults : quality issue
Turbo Faults : quality issue
Rattles and Vibration : qualty issue
Cabin noise : qualty issue

Ron m8, if you are happy that things like these are "characteristcs of the car" then you have certainly gone and bought the right car again.

The main issue i have is the cabin/road noise, and yes you could argue that this is a characteristic of the car, i would say it's inadequate and cheap sound proofing throughout the car,which for me is making the car sound and feel older than the 3 months that it is .

If you take 2 minutes and read through some other faults or in your words "niggles", that have been reported on here i think you will agree that these reported faults are NOT just "characteristics of the car", but are indeed real quality and build issues, or you could still disagree and think that they are "characteristics of the car" if this is the case, then we have ALL just certainly purchased a big bag of rusty old "niggly" bolts. :(

Joske

Reaction score
Sint-Huibrechts-Hern - Limburg - Flanders
Mlbblue said:
I think you're right, the motto should be never stand still as you'll end up chasing the competition. For me the front end has to be addressed in a 2012 facelift - that big ugly peugeot badge has to go - needs to be like the new 308. I'm not sure about the interior cabin build quality - after all the RCZ is cheaper than a TT (so there's your answer - if you want better quality spend more and buy a TT). More engine choice (maybe with a hybrid) has got to come too. We'll see what happens....

That's just the thing Peugeot shouldn't do. The RCZ has her own character as she is. Don't go the german way and let al cars look the same. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Don't know were the "cabin" noise thingy comes from, but I didn't notice it, maybe because my previous car was a 206 and before the 206 I drove a 309.

Of al the above points I haven't noticed one after 11 000km

A

Anonymous

Maybe you have better roads over there than us over here. :eusa-think:

And i agree dont change the unique look of the RZC, well maybe a little play with the front end, but as for all the other issues that owners mention then something has to be done, i just cannot see people just constantly buying the RCZ's on it's looks, ok when it was first lauched most did, like myself, but i feel people are starting to see through the "pretty car" image and now want quality and a better build to go with those looks. ( in my opinion Ron :thumbup: )

Thought i better point that out, he's very touchy in the mornings. :lol:

RCZ1

Reaction score
No Joske has a point! Like Joske, I and others have not experienced problems with our RCZ. Those who have, have maybe been unlucky, but this can happen with any marque of car. You can have two identical cars one can have no problems whatsoever, the other can be a complete pile of ****.

Noisy folding wing mirrors : Quality issue - NOT EXPERIENCED
Corroding wing mirrors : quality issue - NOT EXPERIENCED (always dried the wing mirrors with the hairdryer so runs down the car have not been an issue).
Corroding brake calipers : Quality issue - NOT EXPERIENCED
Sticky gear change : characteristic of car (maybe) - Sticky between 1st and 2nd first couple of months, all fine now.
AC thermostatic faults : quality issue - NOT EXPERIENCED - Best system I've had!
Intermittent electrical faults : quality issue - NOT EXPERIENCED
Turbo Faults : quality issue - NOT EXPERIENCED
Rattles and Vibration : qualty issue - NOT EXPERIENCED
Cabin noise : qualty issue - NOT EXPERIENCED

Sorry but there are NOT all the same !

A

Anonymous

I agree not ALL owners have experienced these issues, but i'm not making that list up out of the blue, those issues have all been reported on this very site.

The point i was making to Ron is, these are some of the issues that owners have reported, and if you look at some those issues they just cannot be regarded as a "characteristic of the car".

If someone who owns an RCZ developes one or possibly more of those issues and is willing to accept that as a "characteristic of the car" then quite frankly i'm speechless, however that is their choice, and their money.

Blindfolded by love comes to mind.

Ps, i wonder how many other marques of car have to be dried with an hairdryer to try to prevent corroding. :eusa-think:

Joske

Reaction score
jactac said:
Maybe you have better roads over there than us over here. :eusa-think:

And i agree dont change the unique look of the RZC, well maybe a little play with the front end, but as for all the other issues that owners mention then something has to be done, i just cannot see people just constantly buying the RCZ's on it's looks, ok when it was first lauched most did, like myself, but i feel people are starting to see through the "pretty car" image and now want quality and a better build to go with those looks. ( in my opinion Ron :thumbup: )

Thought i better point that out, he's very touchy in the mornings. :lol:

In the dessert the roads are better than in belgium. :oops:

Joske

Reaction score
Intermittent electrical faults : quality issue
Turbo Faults : quality issue
Rattles and Vibration : qualty issue

Those are common issues with the THP engine. And indeed it's a quality problem -> bloody german engines. (bmw) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

RCZ1

Reaction score
jactac said:
I agree not ALL owners have experienced these issues, but i'm not making that list up out of the blue, those issues have all been reported on this very site.

The point i was making to Ron is, these are some of the issues that owners have reported, and if you look at some those issues they just cannot be regarded as a "characteristic of the car".

If someone who owns an RCZ developes one or possibly more of those issues and is willing to accept that as a "characteristic of the car" then quite frankly i'm speechless, however that is their choice, and their money.

Blindfolded by love comes to mind.

Ps, i wonder how many other marques of car have to be dried with an hairdryer to try to prevent corroding. :eusa-think:

I understand that you have experienced problems but they are not affecting every car. As I said previously you get a good and a bad one in anything. If it affects one car, it doesn't automatically mean that its something that Peugeot has to find a solution to, for every car. I am not someone who is "blindfolded by love" as you put it. Like you, I am merely pointing out that I have not experienced any of the problems that you have. Furthermore, I have used an hairdryer on wing mirrors and other areas on both our cars for the past few years. Not to stop corroding but merely because most cars have a problem with runs from these places and using a blower to dry them, removes the problem. :thumbup:

FGRob

Reaction score
My car was great until the dealer got hold of it, it went down bank from there. The only issue that concerned me (apart from all the problems I had with the dealer) was after I decided to sell the car, was the oil leak that developed in the PSA engine (not BMW).

The mirrors are a common problem from day one, drying with an air dryer is unacceptable solution as was mine which entailed me banging on the base of the mirror, that does need sorting specially with all the rain we are having recently.

If you are not happy with the car and continually pick fault, then you need to move on, that's what I did.

Rob. :wave: :wave:

A

Anonymous

dolanog said:
Thanks guy's for the mixed comments,but one thing we agree on there has to be changes :eusa-think:

Actually no I dont think I do agree......... I am actually quite satisfied with my car and will be happy to see how the model evolves over the next few years as design and engines changes.

Apart from the niggles I have had with it which is no different from other cars I have had including 4 TT's generally speaking it has lived up to expectation.

There is no such thing as the perfect car. Just look at the difference of opinion on here. Quad exhausts, not somthing I value, I prefer the utility of the towbar. Lambo doors, yuk! Aftermarket stereo fits to make the thing into a mobile disco, hello 17 again... Changing exhaust and air filters for more noise, complaining the car has to much noise. The list goes on!!!

As it stands at the moment, the car is reliable, it is nice to look at, it is cheap to ensure, it is faitly economical. Seems a pretty good compromise to me!

A

Anonymous

K,
Never have i said ALL RCZ's have the same problems, in fact out of the problems or issues that i listed only 2 or 3 do affect my own RCZ at the moment, however if my own personal fault list does get any longer then there will be no hesitation what so ever , IT WILL GO, love it or not !

I WILL follow exactly what Rob did and dare i say others will probably do the same.

Peugeot obviously do not have to change their whole build and quality process to solve issues that only affect one single car, yep you get the odd rotten apple in all marques, but those issues that i have listed do seem to crop up on a number of RCZ's, not just mine, just read through some of the many threads on faults and quality, and NOT just my own experience.

So maybe it could be that your car and some of the others are the exception and mine and many others are not ?

Come on, in general even if you have not experienced anything on that list, the build and quality of certain bits of the RCZ is coming under some doubt the longer people own them.

And yes a lot of cars suffer from runs from mirrors, mouldings ect, and using an hairdryer may be an option to help dry out any excess water that is trapped, it's a good tip, afterall it is a bloody pain having water marks on the brandnew, gleaming paintwork, but with the RCZ it's more than just water marks isnt it !
The insides of brandnew RCZ mirrors are corroding :thumbdown:
On other marques it's just annoying water marks that owners have to put up with.

Whether we dry off the excess water with an hairdryer or not, (and to be perfectly honest with you i do not see why anyone should get the Braun out), if the mirrors are holding excessive water or not, they should not be corroding, neither should the brake calipers at 700 miles.
Now surely these are just 2 small but annoying issues that Peugeot should officialy announce and address . :eusa-think:

My neighbours think i'm a nut now, for washing the car nearly every other day, imagine what they would say if i start giving her a blow dry all over. :eek:

I said to dolang when he posted this thread that it will draw opinions from either sides. Obviously we are not all going to be in agreement.
But that is what a forum is all about eh. ;)