What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ R sees the new TT and sticks two fingers up at it

stagger321

Reaction score
Good review posted for those of you who have limited funds, or just can'd be *rs&d to walk to the newsagents ;)

In this months EVO mag.

Frustratingly the reviewer had about run out of steam when it came to the shortish RCZ R review, which by all accounts beat off the brand new TT (of a similar price) with a large R shaped stick.
As its posted on a beemer forum obviously there are biased comments: RWD is best etc etc, from the uneducated who have not even seen the RCZ, never mind driven it.

Anyway - enjoy.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=493985

DKZ5745

Reaction score
My mates just bought a BRZ, better not show him this review..... :eusa-think:

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi stagger321 and all :greetings-wavingblue:

..thanks for posting that article as its always nice to read (For Free) how certain cars of a similar ilk compare against each other. I know that at the end of the day it usually & simply comes down to personal preference of "looks" & like so many things in life ,,,,,I saw the demure curves of her double bouble and I just knew ! :eusa-whistle:

I had a Celica previously and hence i'm smitten by the GT86/ BRZ, in respect of the GT86 the use of tacky Japanese plastics has well and truly been carried forward in respect of its dash & switches. :( Regardless of the latter AND its lacking engine performance in comparison to much dearer rivals, for its price the GT86 remains appealing especially once they further filter down into the 2nd hand basket !! :dance:

Oh' its just a shame that Toyota didn't put in one of their own VVTI straight fours into GT86's engine bay as the Subaru flat four boxer is obviously far more labour intensive to work on as well as being all over the place in the engine bay thus appearing very untidy in design in comparison to most other mainstream modern engines. HOWEVER, when you look at a boxer engine it looks like it means business even if the 197 hp variant is not as hot as it cylinder block & drivebelt/s etc look!

.the big blue (..a Forum back bencher who's a lover of engines and the shiny metal skins they are wrapped in !!) :D

the big blue

Reaction score
..I hope my post above doesn't incur wrath from members of the GT86/ BRZ forums as I'm not dissing the car i'm simply saying it how it is and reasoned opinions are the source of debate NOT intentional hostility as I'm sure that there are aspects of the RCZ that they would place under scrutiny ,,especially if you need to change a wheel :oops: ! Im giving them that one up front !! ;)

.the big blue :beer:

stagger321

Reaction score
I don't think you have dissed the Toyo/Scuby pair really mate.
At the end of the day this was a bit of an apples'n'pairs test as far as the Jap car is concerned - in that there is a massive gap in price - I mean 10K will buy you a lot of aftermarket goodies.

Granted the inside of both Jap cars is dull, but I really like the GT86 - it was on my hit list when it came to buying a coupe, in fact all four of these cars was on the comparison guide for me.

What EVO should have done is thrown the blown GT86 reworked by Abbey Motorsport - or something similar.
A well spec'd GT86 with an Abbey Stage 1.5+SC car is £33k, throws out 270 gee-gees and 206 ftlb torque.

It was tested it here, by guess who - EVO :roll: - bit of a palm-slap moment really:
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evo..._abbey_motorsport_review_price_and_specs.html
That would have been a more interesting conundrum to mull over.

What Subaru and Toyota have done with the standard GT86/BRZ is make great cars at a really affordable price - to grab the younger market that are priced out by the other offerings.
Got to respect them for that.

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi stagger321 :greetings-wavingblue:

Well that article with the shall we say ultimately tuned GT86 put the car at the forefront of what it is able to represent when its allowed to bare its soul more fully than "Toyota"/ Subaru themselves never attempted with their flagship GT86. SHAME!

The car GT86/ BRZ produced out of the box has the look and the performance that was intended to make it a "true drivers" car which is something that in my opinion is actively engineered out of most cars nowadays whereupon the sole benchmark is that it must be capable of doing the supermarket trip whilst feeling that you are sat in your armchair with your DAB music system playing classical and NOT bebop jazz ! :lol:

I think that Toyota got it right and their collaboration with Subaru has resulted in a car that has the "spirit" that is surgically engineered out of the 'majority' of mainstream cars nowadays. AND in a world where so many have never even driven RWD giving it more that 197 Japanese horses out of the box would have resulted in a multitude of rear end crashes not seen since the days of the Ford Capri falling into 2nd hand market and into the hands of sports car wanting 80's youth :clap:

.the big blue (in those days 'drifting' wasn't a skill or hobby it was a baptism and the relentless trait of RWD, and YES I ended up in a field more than once without knowing why OR how but looking back the experience was worth it albeit costly)!

:eusa-think: :twisted:

stagger321

Reaction score
the big blue said:
Hi stagger321 :greetings-wavingblue:

Well that article with the shall we say ultimately tuned GT86 put the car at the forefront of what it is able to represent when its allowed to bare its soul more fully than "Toyota"/ Subaru themselves never attempted with their flagship GT86. SHAME!

The car GT86/ BRZ produced out of the box has the look and the performance that was intended to make it a "true drivers" car which is something that in my opinion is actively engineered out of most cars nowadays whereupon the sole benchmark is that it must be capable of doing the supermarket trip whilst feeling that you are sat in your armchair with your DAB music system playing classical and NOT bebop jazz ! :lol:

I think that Toyota got it right and their collaboration with Subaru has resulted in a car that has the "spirit" that is surgically engineered out of the 'majority' of mainstream cars nowadays. AND in a world where so many have never even driven RWD giving it more that 197 Japanese horses out of the box would have resulted in a multitude of rear end crashes not seen since the days of the Ford Capri falling into 2nd hand market and into the hands of sports car wanting 80's youth :clap:

.the big blue (in those days 'drifting' wasn't a skill or hobby it was a baptism and the relentless trait of RWD, and YES I ended up in a field more than once without knowing why OR how but looking back the experience was worth it albeit costly)!

:eusa-think: :twisted:
I don't disagree with you (sorry - double negative)
My mate at work has an ex demo GT86 and loves it. The combination of just enough power with those skinny tyres makes it great fun to drive. It's not the prettiest coupe when compare to say the RCZ :thumbup: but it's right in the same way the MX5 is when it comes to a small ragtop sports car.

Tomas_90

Reaction score
Just wait 'til the new Supra comes along. I would so like to replace the RCZ with that one but it'll sadly be too expensive for me i think :( They were talking GT-R money for it i've heard...

A

Anonymous

Always loved the Supra and, if it stats true to the designs that we have seen, this will be absolutely stunning. Hadn't heard GT-R money being touted as the going price though!! :eek:

Tomas_90

Reaction score
Well it's debatable. Some say BMW Z4 money too, or slightly less. It all depends on wheter they go hybrid driveline or good old fashioned Inline-6 turbo.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
$50000 - $60000 mentioned with this photo....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,649
A

Anonymous

Read up a little on this and it appears to largely be at the behest of BMW to market the car at a more exclusive audience. This is because it will,"
be using BMW technology also helps point to its higher price tag. As a simple marketing exercise, Toyota would not be able to market a car for $30k that is using similar tech and drivetrain technology as a car that BMW might sell for $75k."

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/toyota/index99.html

the big blue

Reaction score
...Hi all' :greetings-wavingblue:

..this has definitely been a post to follow and the likes of which we need more of ,,NOW show me someone in the Chamber who doesn't think that the pic of the 'Supra' doesn't look amazing in the way that Coupe's are meant to :eusa-think: True beauty cannot be denied and the RCZ falls into that sensuous category too !

.the big blue (..be warned ,,the Tower of London awaits those that require re-education on automotive beauty!) :twisted:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Oh I think if I had the cash, I could be persuaded to chop the Z in for one of them, BUT there aren't many cars out there that I could honestly say that about. The love affair continues........

RCZ-R

Reaction score
IMHO the typical TT owner is not looking for balanced performance when choosing a car. I personally know two TT drivers, one with the very first version of TT tweaked to about 255bhp and another one with the latest TT RS tweaked to 600+ bhp.

Both don't give a dime about their car's agility, responsiveness, and overall behavior on limit. They are only for looks and straight forward performance (thus the 600+ upgrade). When you start talking about agility, brake feel, steering feel, they start looking at you like ET has finally returned to earth.
I think if someone is looking for some hidden magic in a car's ride, they will not go for a TT but keep on looking for other options.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I also think (having a neighbour who owns a TT convertible) that there is a lot of snobbery in owning an Audi. When I got the Z, he came over and said "I see you have bought the Peugeot TT"!
I did probably go a little over the top with my response, and it has to be said that he hasn't spoken to me since. :eusa-shhh:
I don't think I will be on his Christmas card list this year, put it that way :eusa-think:

I do acknowledge that the Audi brand is a very well built thing, and having had two previous Peugeots, I think that in the past it was possibly justifiable to assume that the Audi was generally a better built car.
However, as time and technology progresses, I think that most major car manufacturers have got their act together, and the improvements made in the previously "lesser" brands, has significantly closed the gap between them.

I had the chance of an Audi TT when choosing my new car, but having looked at, and driven both, the RCZ was, for me, a no brainer. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Hi All,
I've had a TT and equally could have bought one, but saw the RCZ and it was also a complete no brainer :eusa-think: There are a lot of TT's at work and guess what car gets all the attention and questions....you've guessed it..mine. Yes Audi's are very good cars, but there are so many on the road now. I am still awaiting to see another R on the road.

Audi owners you can have your snobbery if you wish....but my god I definately belong to an exclusive club and I love it :clap: :clap: :clap:

On another note anyone going to The breakfast club at Goodwood in May???