What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ R pictures just after collection

Kerr

Reaction score
Yes premium tyres are reallly worthwhile, gives me an idea, maybe I should stick them budget tyres on the front and do burnouts so I have an excuse to buy some premium tyres šŸ˜‚

You do know the car is FWD? šŸ˜‚

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm surprised to read that opinion.

Even in daily driving duties good quality tyres make a massive difference. There is a huge difference between good and bad tyres.

The tyres do meet requirements. You see the tests where modern cars slash highway code stopping distances by half. Braking efficiency and tyres have greatly improved over the years.

Looking at some of the results of the Accelera PH1 tyres the results are poor compared to a quality tyre. They are last in every test related to performance or handling.

From 100kph(62mph) in the wet Michelin PS4s take 46.3m meters to stop. The Accelera took 73.3m in the same test. 27m extra to stop which is around 6-7 car lengths. That's a crazy difference and easily the difference between stopping in an emergency, or having a big crash.

I've never scrimped on tyres. I don't see the point of buying nice cars and ruining them with cheap tyres. Equally even for normal cars the extra safety margin a good tyre makes is worth it too.

You should never have drastically different tyres on a car. It will make the handling imbalanced.
There have been quite a few tests Iā€™ve read about the Accelera tyres some good some bad like I said Iā€™m happy with them Iā€™ve pushed them as much as I would want on the road in dry and wet and Iā€™m totally happy with their performance Iā€™ve total confidence in them if owners want to put expensive rubber on their cars thatā€™s up to them not a problem but I donā€™t think people should be saying budget tyres are dangerous if theyā€™re the right size right loading and speed rating they just canā€™t sell em if theyā€™re dangerous.

Kerr

Reaction score
There have been quite a few tests Iā€™ve read about the Accelera tyres some good some bad like I said Iā€™m happy with them Iā€™ve pushed them as much as I would want on the road in dry and wet and Iā€™m totally happy with their performance Iā€™ve total confidence in them if owners want to put expensive rubber on their cars thatā€™s up to them not a problem but I donā€™t think people should be saying budget tyres are dangerous if theyā€™re the right size right loading and speed rating they just canā€™t sell em if theyā€™re dangerous.

It's strong to call them dangerous, but it's an unnecessary choice to reduce the ability and capabilities of your car even purely considering safety.

Car manufacturers cut corners everywhere, but none of the respectable brands fit budget tyres.

The test results for your tyres are very poor. They are miles off quality tyres for every aspect of driving expect things like noise. The braking distance differences are alarming.

It looks as if you've spent a lot of money modifying your car. I genuinely don't understand why you would spend money improving the car, then scrimping on the important parts and undoing any improvements. You've got an easy fix to vastly improve your car.

Pedro

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Nexen Nfera SU 1 XL mid range all seasons tyres rated at 96Y for the fronts on offer on ebay Ā£169 for the MOT the lad who did the test reckons they are a decent spec long life tyre & perfectly rated for a 200GT he said the Company also supply Porsche & many Marque global brands
I have had them on just over 4 months & can't fault them I read the reviews beforehand so I think got a good deal for the price

turboguy

Reaction score
You do know the car is FWD? šŸ˜‚
Yeah I know itā€™s front wheel drive and used to do wheel spin burnouts in my early years of driving šŸ˜‚but that was over 30years ago. Donā€™t think I have ever owned a rear wheel drive car. Driven a few but the are lousy in the snow hence either front wheel drive or 4wheel drive only for me. Unless itā€™s a Ferrari šŸ˜‚

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
The test results for your tyres are very poor. They are miles off quality tyres for every aspect of driving expect things like noise. The braking distance differences are alarming.
What resource are you using for that Kerr? Might be useful for us all to see how good/bad our tyre choices are šŸ˜€

Flanners

Reaction score
Here is one Accelera test: Overall - Finishing bottom of the table in nearly every test secured the Accelera its last place, however EVO noted it wasn't as bad as some of the other budgets tested in previous years. As is the norm with budget tyres, it was capable in the dry but lacked grip, composure and safety when the surface changed to wet

Budget tyres on a sports coupe no way especially if used all year round.

Got to be Top end mid range and above if you want to actually enjoy the performance and be safe in the car.

Some of the points made on here about Budget tyres are fair enough from my experience budget are just about ok on a dry Summer road, then like the Evo test above if it then rains or in the Winter they verge on absolutely lethal in comparison to mid range and premium offerings. Literally no grip or feel, inability to accelerate or corner; it's like driving on diesel, feels like you have no proper control or feedback.

Most recent example of this is in a TF I own fitted with budget tyres from the previous owner, I thought it's ok I only do 1K miles a year in the dry Summer blasts mostly so will leave them on, yep they felt ok in the dry but broke away early and felt weird I thought ok they will do, did a journey in the wet and the abs was on braking for junctions, stepping out at the back etc. Fitted a set of Toyo's and it was night and day better the car handled, driven in the wet it gripped and the abs did not activate, on a dry road the car felt completely different and could be driven harder and corenered better.

If you toodle around Town in a family hatchback at 30mph fair enough otherwise budget tyres are a complete and utter no-no for me.

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
1 of the reviews I found on Nexens

Attachments

• Capture tyres.PNG
    Capture tyres.PNG
    206.1 KB · Views: 15

Flanners

Reaction score
Nexen SU1's good mid range tyre, as ever surpassed apparently now as old 'tech' I have had them, were good.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The only point of contact your beautiful RCZ has with the road is the tyres. For me, it is an absolute no brainier I would always go for the best tyres I could on a car like this.
I have Michelin PS4S all round. I have found them excellent for grip, road noise & handling. The longevity of any tyre depends on how the car is driven, so I have had a couple of sets on the front, but the rears seem to be lasting forever, clearly not drifting it often enough šŸ˜

Kerr

Reaction score
What resource are you using for that Kerr? Might be useful for us all to see how good/bad our tyre choices are šŸ˜€

Auto Bild do a lot of group tyre tests. They are worth searching out. They also had a group test of 50 tyres and the Accelera came 49th. It was knocked out in the qualifying round for dangerous wet braking distances.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
They do rate them as summer tyres...... From the sunny days drive. Saves all that washing of the car when it's wet muddy etc...
Skidding away.... .... šŸ¤Ŗ

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
It's strong to call them dangerous, but it's an unnecessary choice to reduce the ability and capabilities of your car even purely considering safety.

Car manufacturers cut corners everywhere, but none of the respectable brands fit budget tyres.

It looks as if you've spent a lot of money modifying your car. I genuinely don't understand why you would spend money improving the car, then scrimping on the important parts and undoing any improvements. You've got an easy fix to vastly improve your car.
As I said Iā€™m happy with them Iā€™ve had no issues at all and they have performed well, to be fair I donā€™t do a lot of wet weather driving in my Z but I have done a few high speed motorway 200 mile runs that have been wet and again had no problems.With the results of that test looks like Iā€™m going to be extra quick on the brakes šŸ˜‚

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
uto Bild do a lot of group tyre tests. They are worth searching out. They also had a group test of 50 tyres and the Accelera came 49th. It was knocked out in the qualifying round for dangerous wet braking distances.
ahhh, OK. I was kind of hoping there was an "input tyre choice" and it would give you comparisons. I had Uniroyal Rainsport3's on my Z when I bought it, but when it came to change them there was only Rainsport 5's avaialble, so wondered how they compared.šŸ‘

RCZ-R

Reaction score
View attachment 10885
Another picture with my 205 Turbo Technics, the new and the old legends šŸ¤£

Sweet!
What a garage. The R and the famous Pug (which I never had a chance to test drive). And then turboed. Must be a blast on the B roads.
Cannot give enough thumbs up to this!

Danoctoman

Reaction score
The tyres are ok for now since they are brand new, but I never by cheap tyres so once they wear down will buy premium tyres like I always do, also not a fan of Dunlop tyres as they were on my last car and they have serious design fault which cost me to replace them at 1/2 year intervals as they crack and burst on the inside tyre wall. SO tend to use Michelin, Eagle F1's or pirellis on my cars. What is the recommended tyres for this car?
They definitely changed the brake pads so may need some discs soon, also noticed Fish Bros has put the price up :eek:

The car is taxed as it was paid for at the garage as I have a receipt for it and I also checked on dvla which states it takes upto 5 days for it to register.

šŸ¤£ Im too old for that being almost 51 years old and a scientist. Its something I can easily afford , but it was a question of finding one.
Almost as bumpy as my 205 turbo technics which has coilovers and eccentric top mounts. Will test out the handling more when the weather is nicer as that is the ultimate test of a car and try and push it for the most important lift off oversteer manouvre. and catching it perfectly. As that is how its done in my 205 ;)
Iā€™m a 63 health Care Scientist, and have owned my RCZ for 6 yrs....
I call it my ā€œtime machineā€
Just don Oakleyā€™s, play highway to hell, and Iā€™m 25 again! Love it!!
Oh itā€™s Slightly safer than my Hayabusa toošŸ¤­

Dingers

Reaction score
63 & you ride a Hayabusa ? You must have good knees then, as mine would be crippled on a sportsbike now šŸ˜… Changed to a Triumph Tiger 2 years ago & I can enjoy the ride again.

turboguy

Reaction score
Best colour choice by far enjoyšŸ˜
You never go wrong with Black cars ;),they look great even when dirty šŸ¤£....
Been driving it everyday this week to go to work in and definitely enjoying the drive, just dont like parking it in works car park even though its a secure car park.