What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Rattling noise when cold started

RCZ1

Reaction score
Glad your car has been sorted successfully. My first RCZ suffered the same problem as yours and was sorted under warranty quickly by my dealer. I note that you have the same dealer as Ron.

A

Anonymous

Strange this is that I've phoned Peugeot Dealer yesterday, and they told me that this is a common fault on all RCZ's, both 156 and 200hp, and it's caused due to the oil used. It appears that the 5W30 oil grade recommended from factory is wrongly used, and it should be 10W60. Wrong oil would cause the tensioner to not work properly and damage it with time.

Sounds a bit weird this explanation, as far as I understand, but it was what the Official Peugeot Dealer said, so...

What you guys think? They said that every RCZ that is having this problems, they are changing those parts and always replacing the oil for 10W60, and that it has fixed the problem.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Strangely enough the Peugeot mechanic advised me to have the oil and filter changed at the same time as the timing set even though it had only been done 7 months earlier and only covered 1000 miles, but he didn't say what grade he was gonna put in. I did have it done though at £85.
I'll have to give dealers a ring and ask what grade was used.
:beer:

A

Anonymous

Strange how easy these common faults can be diagnosed so easily once a car is out of warranty, if I was a sceptic then I'd think it had something to do with finances

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Called at dealers this morning and spoke to mechanic who repaird my car he says only the recommended 5w-30 oil was used and hasn't heard of anyone advising 5w-60. And it's the first figure that is the cold temp working point so lower the number the better on cold start up where this problem starts to raise it's ugly head!
On another note just seen an 11 plate white RCZ in Castleford with the front end caved in no other vehicle there but I feel gutted for the guy!! Hope you get back on the road soon fella!

A

Anonymous

Well my 2013 has now done 5600 miles and this morning it momentarily sounded like a tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCZ1

Reaction score
When I started my RCZ up yesterday, after it had been stood for a week and a half whilst I was away, it too sounded like a tractor. I'm hoping it was just because it had been stood unused for a while. It soon cleared and was fine thereafter.

A

Anonymous

Ahh that's interesting Kerry as mine hadn't really been driven since Friday, although my husband did go and fill it with fuel on Sunday am.

I'll see what its like in the morning.

A

Anonymous

Guess what! 2013 156 with 11k taken to dealer with rattling on cold startup. Told them my thoughts as politly as possible , called me back to say it is the timing chain/tensioner! I could not help but be a little sarcastic.

A

Anonymous

Spoke to our Aftersales Manager today and mentioned the issue of it sounding like a tractor. He knew immediately that it was the timing chain, so it will be going in very soon.

hanswuk

Reaction score
Damn! I thought they'd solved the timing chain tensioner issue from late 2011 onwards. :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Apparantly the engine are produced in more than one factory! so pot luck to when the modified parts came on stream, so my dealer tells me.

A

Anonymous

Mine is going into the workshop today to have this all sorted.

A

Anonymous

Hi there my 156 gt went in for the timing kit on 21st of August I phoned today and there still waiting on the guides but have the other parts needed for the repair , I've been told I should get her back on Thursday all sorted , fingers crossed , I've got 1 question though how does anyone know if the new timing kit to be fitted is the redisgned one Iam sure there will still be the old kits in stock or would they all have been scraped ? Just hope there's no mor chain issues after the fix

A

Anonymous

We'll Thursdays gone hopefully I will get her back tomorrow ,gutted I havnt heard from garage . I need to get back in the z this 208 diesel courtesy car is draining the life out of me haha

A

Anonymous

If anyone who is actually able to get this fixed (apparently they cannot find the issue with mine although it happens every goddamn time) PLEASE try and get the Peugeot Box Fault-ID number so I can pass this on as a reference to my dealer?
Any sort of reference or link to the problem would help.
Thanks in advance!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Hi had mine fixed on Thursday , mine rattled every start up I had only had the car 3 days bought from a independant garage anyway after hearing the rattle and knowing the problem with the tensioner , I phoned robins and day peugeot and told them my suspicions they told me to bring the car in and they would check it , later that day the service manager phoned and said it had the problem and would be done under warranty luckily there was 1 month warranty left it runs out September 11 , and booked me a courtesy car and changed the chain , guides and tensioner it was with them for 8 days as they were waiting on parts but at least it's sorted now , no morn ing rattle ,,, 1 thing the the survive manager did say he nearly phoned me to say it was ok 3 hrs after I dropped it off as there was no rattle as it must have still been warm it was only when they tried it again at the end of the day they heard it when it was actually fully cold ,,, good luck

A

Anonymous

Mines in for this in the next day or two for a new chain etc - by the sounds of this it seems to be a frequent issue that's occuring ! ours is a 13 plate Magnetic. :helpme: