What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Rattling noise when cold started

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

I'm the proud owner of an RCZ 1.6 THP 200 since 3 months now.
Driven 5000 km so far.

I was wondering if one of you recognizes the following:

When cold started the engine makes more noise, almost a rattling noise, but only for 1 minute or so.
When I google this problem, I find numerous pages mentioning common problems with the chain tensioner of the THP-engine.

Do I need to be worried?

Greetz

A

Anonymous

Hey
I'm having similar problems. Its been in already for cylinder head cleaning due to a fault code as I have had drops in power, told them about noise didn't believe me. So when it had been left for a couple of hours I asked them to turn it over and rev the engine slightly, rattles like a diesel, they believe it is the timing chain/tensioner it's going into the garage tomorrow. But if it fails it can do lots of engine damage. I'll repost once I receive the car back

A

Anonymous

Low_Rider said:
When it rattle, how many revs you see?

I think more than 1000 RPM.

After only half a minute the rattling is gone and the engine runs smoothly at only 800 RPM.

Sounds familiar?

A

Anonymous

Yes - that's right! But the noise is a terrible rattling sound.

RCZ1

Reaction score
I got a grating / rattling noise when changing gear at over 2000 revs. Mine was the timing chain problem.

Low_Rider

Reaction score
RCZJerome said:
Low_Rider said:
When it rattle, how many revs you see?

I think more than 1000 RPM.

After only half a minute the rattling is gone and the engine runs smoothly at only 800 RPM.

Sounds familiar?

Let me see if i can upload a video in youtube for you see.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muZVICal9XE&feature=youtu.be

Unfortunately isn't very noticeable. Is something like this?

This video was in my car and the rattle was provocated by a slack in a link of the wastegate valve. The dealership had to remove the turbo but could repair the slack.

A

Anonymous

That's the good old timing time again I'd say. Damn these engines are they built of Lego? Oh wait a minute that would be better.

A

Anonymous

Low_Rider said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muZVICal9XE&feature=youtu.be

Unfortunately isn't very noticeable. Is something like this?

This video was in my car and the rattle was provocated by a slack in a link of the wastegate valve. The dealership had to remove the turbo but could repair the slack.

Yes, it could be something like that... :|

How did you convince your dealer to fix it?

Secondly, is it normal that the car revs more when cold started? Is this something that's programmed into the ECU, so that the engine would warm up faster?
Today I started my car again after work and it immediately went down to 800 RPM. When I start it in the morning it's always above 1000 RPM.

Thanks for your feedback!
Jerome

Low_Rider

Reaction score
RCZJerome said:
Yes, it could be something like that... :|

How did you convince your dealer to fix it?

The dealer when i bought the car tell me it was normal but i don't believed. So, some months later, i visited the dealer where i do the maintenance for a 207XA who lives in the same garage that the RCZ and them tell me who is impossible the rattle be normal. They ask me if i could leave the RCZ there for one night for they see it first thing in the morning and check the rattle.

As soon as they had the diagnostic they had to wait order to repair by Peugeot.

Just like that.

Make a video just like mine and show it to your dealer. If they told you that is normal, show to them my video and explain my case.

RCZJerome said:
Secondly, is it normal that the car revs more when cold started? Is this something that's programmed into the ECU, so that the engine would warm up faster?
Today I started my car again after work and it immediately went down to 800 RPM. When I start it in the morning it's always above 1000 RPM.

Thanks for your feedback!
Jerome

I have 4 cars: 3 Peugeot and 1 Nissan and the Nissan is the only who spends the night out of garage. The first time in the day who i start the RCZ or the Nissan, the revs are higher than normal. The other 2 Peugeot (207XA and 307SW) start always normal whatever the temperature of the engine or the weather.

I asked this in Peugeot dealer and they don't thought it was something wrong.

Cumps.

A

Anonymous

Last question: was the rattle only audible in the beginning after a cold start or longer?

Low_Rider said:
Make a video just like mine and show it to your dealer. If they told you that is normal, show to them my video and explain my case.

I will do that!

Low_Rider

Reaction score
RCZJerome said:
Last question: was the rattle only audible in the beginning after a cold start or longer?

No, just in the beginning after a cold start.

If you need something for me, just say. ;)

A

Anonymous

I've got the same problem, just trying to convince the dealers that it actually happens because it doesn't happen very often.

for me it happens on cold start when the temperature on the dash is higher than 20 deg C and I'ts been standing for more than 24 hours.

Looks like when its over 20 deg the engine idles slightly higher, about 1100rpm for a minute and then drops down to the standard 800rpm. (might be something to do with the cold start strategy on the ECM, i don't know??)

Makes a horible noise for about a minute and then drops down to 800rpm.

Sounds like a tappet sound so I thought it was something to do with the HLA's not doing their job properly.

Still trying to prove that it actually happens to the dealer, seems to have been OK for a few weeks and suddenly another warm spell and back comes the noise. Probably dropping it off again tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

Mine was like that - very intermittant. Would do it for 4 days on the trot then nothing for a week. Peugeot Forum got involved and the timing chain was changed.

Low_Rider

Reaction score
Just like mine!

Squeeze ( :lol: ) the dealer. Show to them my case and tell they that problem has been reported to Peugeot and should be in their servicebox.

In my case, the repair has been made by a french technical, who works here in my Peugeot dealer.

A

Anonymous

i have this exact problem. rattle when start from cold.
it is in at the moment to be sorted. the dealer said its a timing chain tensioner or the chain itself that need to be replaced.
they had it in for an unrelated problem and after it was stood for most of the day and they started it they immediately offered to keep it and fix the problem.

cheers.

martin.

A

Anonymous

hi

Mine had the same problems and also lost the turbo power aT one point on the motorway.......took to dealers and they already knew about the problem and replaced the chain tensioner.

If they know its a common problem why the hell arnt they doing a recall on all models affected?????

If not caught in time it can seriously damage the engine i was told.

A

Anonymous

This is the sound of my engine in the morning cold start![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3U67C5IRBQ[/youtube]