What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Rattling noise when cold started

A

Anonymous

dejanslo said:
This is the sound of my engine in the morning cold start![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3U67C5IRBQ[/youtube]

That is pretty gnarly...and not in a good way.

A

Anonymous

got my car back from the dealership and is now driving like a dream and feels even faster thasn before.................thanks Peugeot!!!

A

Anonymous

markvickiryan said:
got my car back from the dealership and is now driving like a dream and feels even faster thasn before.................thanks Peugeot!!!

Same here. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Got my car back from gargre was the tensioner as previously stated, take it in tell them, but they may have to here from it

A

Anonymous

I have the following problem now (at only 7000 km) : temperature gauge that goes crazy all the time (90° => 130° => 90° => ...) and the main cooling fan of the engine consequently tries to cool down the car, even if it's still cold.

On top of that: loss of power sometimes...

The dealer has made a "thorough diagnosis with experts of Peugeot" and the problem would be a malfunction of the valve for the oil pressure.
A new valve and seal is ordered and will be put in place next week.

He says the problem with the rattle when cold started could be solved too by solving this problem.

Fingers crossed!

PS: Problems with the chaintensioner should be long gone, my dealer says, since cars produced after beginning this year or so...

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I am having exactly the same problem with the exact same noises (could have been my video). I have had the car at the dealer about 4 times now and they are stating that "everything is normal and working as expected"

when starting my motor goes up to about 1100rpm, stays there for about 30 seconds and then goes down to 800. In my opinion it does not take the gas as good as it should during that time so from what I am reading this really is the drivetrain, however I am no expert... A slightly higher rev at the beginning would be normal but this is plain annoying!

As some people have apparently managed to get Peugeot to repair/replace the drivetrain, how exactly did you do this? Is there some specific repair-id or something relating to the ServiceBox incident that I could provide them with?
Would it help to actually contact Peugeot directly in regards to this problem?
I would really appreciate some help and/or pointers on how I can get them to fix this as long as I am still have warranty..

I'm happy to provide whoever would like more infos with videos or whatever needed to further narrow this one down.

thanks in advance!!

A

Anonymous

The engine should rev a bit higher initially to get the oil pressure up however if it actually noticeably rattles until the engine warms up then it's a timing chain issue.

I had to contact a quality manager that I got the email for off here. I can forward if you want. But I basically had engine warning messages several times and told them that I wasn't going to take the car back from them unless they changed the timing chain. The good thing about being a mechanical engineer is that you can speak their language!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

It has been a while since my last post...
The rattling problem still is there and I have come to the point to let it be. By the way, it only happens when the car has been stopped for more than 10 hours or so. And indeed, it also affects the throttle in a bad way, making it difficult to drive away with low revs.

If this is normal behaviour, then it's a shame that no Peugeot dealer has a decent explanation for it. The least they could do, is give us a reason... Would be easier to accept then.

For me another issue is more important now to be solved, before the car is out of warranty: when the outside temperature gets below +/- 15 degrees C, then the sound membrane which amplifies the engine sound causes a rattling noise coming out of the dash at the passenger side, when going full throttle and above 4000 RPM. In summer this issue seems to fade away, but now, with winter coming, it has returned...

It really annoys me al lot as I consider the engine sound as one of the most important things on my RCZ.

My dealer already has replaced the sound membrane, sadly without any result :(

He says not to know what he can do more for me....

Anyone who is familiar with this issue? Thanks for your replies!

A

Anonymous

I am still fighting with my dealer on getting the rattling noise fixed.
I will get a new appointment for the garage some time next week, I am not going to give up so quickly on this one!

A

Anonymous

New Update ... No solution found yet, PUG representative payed the biggest part of my warranty extension and as of just now it has upgraded to an Engine fault.
Someone over there should have listened :(

A

Anonymous

Does anyone who had this issue have any sort of reference number or PUG error code to share?
It seems my car only has the problem when at home, never in the shop, and they are unable to extract the error log.

ANY help or PUG related erorr numbers for the service log would be HIGHLY appreciated !! :helpme:

A

Anonymous

p3ncilcase said:
Does anyone who had this issue have any sort of reference number or PUG error code to share?
It seems my car only has the problem when at home, never in the shop, and they are unable to extract the error log.

ANY help or PUG related erorr numbers for the service log would be HIGHLY appreciated !! :helpme:

Can you record the noise when it occurs at home and provide to PUG as evidence? It may help them diagnose the issue.

A

Anonymous

Theres no "official" error codes as it engine adjusts fuelling etc to try an run as well as it can.

It never flagged up anything on OBDII scanner either when I had it.

However the local dealer mechanic i was having a blether to a few weeks back knew all about it having several RCZ's needing either their tensioners or timing assemblies replaced.

Look online for the R56 mini "death rattle" there is a lot more info on them and they use the exact same engine.

A

Anonymous

@dand87, already did that, no luck there.

The weird thing is, if it happens and I turn off the motor again and immediately restart it, the issue is gone.

@Figo, could you maybe give me his name so I can pass that on to my dealer? Even though I am located in Germany it might help them actually get this fixed at some point...

A

Anonymous

ive the same problem. also i have the feeling the power of the car is not the same as before. well till 200kmh it loos the same but after is less powerfull than before. to the ones that had it replaced what was the cost?

A

Anonymous

im pretty sure that the parts alone are about £600 then about half a days labour so that will depend on the price your garage charges.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there I've just been through the trials and tribulations of the timing chain death rattle my car 10 plate Launch Edition bought early May from an indipendent dealer the car has only done 18k miles and being 4 years old is out of warrenty after a few days of ownership I thought there were a rattle from the engine before it was warmed up but this got worse to the point that I couldn't bare to start her up! The dealer I bought from tried to wangle out of blame so I took the car to my local Peugeot dealer. When their mechanic heard it even though the car was warm and I thought it sounded quite quiet! He said no doubt needs new timing kit. chain, tensioner guides. Peugeot have brought out new parts to sort the problem. He had done quite a few and never had one back with the same problem. The quote £550 all inc parts & vat! Very reasonable I thought. With a lot of persuasion the dealer who I bought from paid for the repair and I'm just about to go for my first spin since the repair Fingers crossed!!!!
I'll post the results later. :dance:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
:dance: :thumbup:
Back from the test drive and all is rosy!!!
Engine now starts up very smoothly with no rattles or knocks and has never sounded as quiet. There should be a recall for early cars who have the potential to develop this fault Peugeot know about this why else would they develop new parts? Because my car had only been serviced at independent dealers Peugeot would not entertain a repair under good will so get your cars sorted before your warranties run out.
Big thumbs up to Peter Ambrose Peugeot in Castleford West Yorkshire for a top quality diagnosis and speedy repair. :beer: