What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Quad 'feline' exhaust - its terrible, dont do it!!

A

Anonymous

When I specced my 200bhp RCZ I ticked almost every box :crazy: . I was trading down (cubic capacity wise anyway) from a fantastic spec 2.7 (diesel) 407 SE coupe and was worried that I would miss all the goodies! Anyway finally about 5 weeks ago the phone call came and 8 weeks waiting was over. When I went to pick her up initially I wasnt dissapointed, the car was/is stunning, simple as that.... But, parked nearby was another brand new, much lower spec, RCZ which was fitted with quad pipes. As soon as I noticed the pipes I was gutted, to me it was exactly what the car needed to balance out the look of 'double bubble' window. When I asked why I hadnt been given the option to order it I was told it was a retrofit option only (wondering if it is now avaliable in the spec as it appears on some of the advertising??). I have been driving the car and loving its handling and (just about enough) power, but that quad system kept entering my mind. Now I have had my fair share of high end cars (inc a couple of supercars when business was better! :( ) and never been one of the 'mines bigger than yours (exhaust that is) brigade', and the Rcz being only a 1.6cc in my opinion quad pipes are a bit of an over the top statment, but when a friend commented "all that car needs is a matching exhaust the other side", needless to say I ordred the system anyway. So getting to the point :sleeping-yellow: , I had them fitted today and just returned from the dealer, feeling so angry at myself! When I walked up to the car at the dealers it looked great and to be honest it did look better 'balanced', but I was shocked at what I saw when I looked underneath the back of the car....

Basically the exhaust now incorporates a wierd cross-over pipe running behind the bumper with fake twin pipes on each side (actually only single outlet behind each of them), but that was only the start of it. They had removed my original twin chrome tail pipes and hacked a few inches of the end of the two exhaust pipes where they exit the rear exhaust box, then they had wrapped some heat resistant 'gauze' type material round both ends which has been held in place with plastic(!!) cable ties, then pushed the new piece of quad exhaust section over the gauze. I estimate that the female pipes of the new (quad) section are 20-30mm bigger in diameter than the existing (cut down) 'male' pipes they push onto! This gauze is used to pad-out the difference in size! Dont ask me why the female 'joining' pipes in the new section are so much bigger, I asked, but all I got was a shrug!! Then I noticed on the drivers side that they had hacked out a piece of my rear lower apron/valance to accomodate the additional twin tail pipes. This hacked out piece looks just that 'hacked out'! Then I noticed that if I looked into the end of the twin pipes on the passenger side, I could see surplus 'gauze' wadded up inside the small section where the now single pipe splits to form twin pipes in order to resemble the original twin pipes. WTF!!!

In short I had a long conversation with the service manager who explained "this is how Peugeot reccomend they fit the quad system", which I didnt believe for a moment until he went off and found the instructions that were supplied with the system, including pictures that show how to cut down the exhaust and wrap the gauze as well as hack out the section of rear apron by using a template (by the state of it, not sure they even used it the template!). So being not sure of what to do next, in the end I had to pay the bill to get my car back, despite the crummy workmanship and poorly fitting parts.

So now I have a poorly fitted/fitting 'semi fake' quad system replacing my (at least) proper twin tailpipe. I feel like my new car has been devalued by this horrible and very temporary looking bodge-up that was (amazingly) caried out to Peugeot's own instructions (I have kept them for proof!). What were they thinking with this so called 'upgrade', its so poorly designed, its like something you would see on a boy racer's old banger, cobbled together on a sunday afternoon to impress his mates!

I cant even refit my old twin exit tail pipe because the exhust pipe tips and rear apron have been hacked about. I wish I had just left it alone and spent the £600 on something else!! :x

I used to work in the motor trade and a lash-up like this in the very least would have lost someone thier job, I cannot believe it has been done to my lovely new car, Peugeot, be very ashamed, you had me converted, I even leased a new Partner van while ordering my car so third Peugeut in under 2 years!

Guess my hard earned advice is, if you want quad pipes and decent workmanship, buy an Audi TT!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 4,465
  • IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 4,463
  • IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 4,464
  • IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 4,464
A

Anonymous

Be great if other 'quad' exhaust owners could let me know if thier systems are fitted in this same way? However I do belive that there is a diference between the quad system for the 200THP and the 160THP petrol engines as there is a £150 (approx) price difference. So fitting may be different. Not sure about the diesel!

A

Anonymous

i dont have quads but there is a couple of pics of those angles in another thread...

and yeah there is a diff i guess... all of the 3 engines have diff part #'s... but im sure they all have the same way of installation...

I would ask them if they know what RTFM means... and then show them one of these...

http://www.google.be/search?tbm=isch&hl ... 51l379l0.3

because i heard that there is an easy-to-follow-manual...

lemme see if i can find those pics for you

EDIT: This post: rcz-feline-pack-t1086-220.html#p16459
there are also some comments on howto and stuff. check it out

A

Anonymous

Hi, thanks for the link, and I do get the point (in the other thread) about them not being physically attached to the rest of the exhaust for insurance reasons but to be honest I feel it should be a proper factory fitted exhaust system period. What we actually get as a crude afterthought. I have the fitting instructions, I cannot believe that a mainstream car manufacturor would condone thier dealers carying out such an obviously poorly engineered modification to thier 'halo' model. Anyone who understands engineering would loose sleep if they saw this system! Shame my pictures were banned as they clearly show this.

A

Anonymous

wow thats shocking. I am glad I had the towbar instead! Midn you they hacked the valance for that as well as apparantly there is no pre cut one. Luckily it isonly a small cutout in the middle right out the back and can only be seen from under the car.

A

Anonymous

I've had my car just about 1 month now and have been toying with the idea of getting the Feline exhaust for the whole time. The only thing that has held me back is exactly what has happened here, a poor install !!

Those cable ties and the way the lower part of the bumber has been cut is simply terrible.
There is obviously a set out clear way of fitting this kit and Peugeot would of advised all their dealers on how this is "add on" is done, i totally agree that this is down to the actual person doing the job, some "tradesmen" take pride in their work and unfortunately others do not, some dealers look after the customers, from point of sale, and all the way through to servicing/repairs, and beyond other's do not !

However, I'm sorry but i don't agree with your comment that this is a "poorly designed upgrade" , this upgrade looks and acts very very well, when it IS CORRECTLY fitted.

I think the poor workmanship that was carried out on your Feline upgrade has made you feel that the whole thing is a bad idea.
I wander if this had been installed with more care and not as you say "bodge-up" would you have had a more positive opinion on this upgrade. :eusa-think:
Don't get me wrong, if i had paid £600 for this then i would also feel like i had been kicked in the danglies, but not because of the upgrade itself, but because some clown with two cable ties and a stanley knife had ruined what should of been a stunning addition to my car.

My advice: send your photos and comments to Peugeot UK, you could also provide photo's of other RCZ's that have had this done and look 100% better than yours, afterall there is an obvious difference in workmanship, and in my opinion, there lay the problem, and not the upgrade itself.

A

Anonymous

That is very unfortunate.. And the first time is seen some thing as bodged as that! It's always been a gripe of mine the quad issue ..

But after seeing what can happen I am going to press forward with my own design.

Like jatac says, contact Peugeot and send them photos.

A

Anonymous

yes there was another owner had issues with poor quad fitting, he had to have a complete new skirt fitted due to hacking of it. I personaly travelled 150 miles to have my quads fitted by a good dealer (perrys) and am very happy with it.

A

Anonymous

Mine was installed following this members advice and recent install... http://peugeotrczforum.co.uk/rcz-feline-pack-t1086-220.html?hilit=fachprofi#p16459

I was unsure about fitting as there was some confusion with Peugeot here in Chile. I showed them these photos as I too was unhappy about heat tape and plastic cableties. They did a great job and cut the plastic perfectly. Using the original steel mesh for the buffering between the exhaust and trim works great (all you do is cut it down a little). Sorry to read about the shoddy job your dealer did. The cutting of the plastic is awful. :(

A

Anonymous

I installed dummy pipes in january. Thechmen didnt even have anything except some pictures I gave to them and they did a very good work. It's sad to see how some can destroy a beauty even when they have the tools to do it right!!

A

Anonymous

i should also point out that the heat tape or gauze or whatever you call it is necessary (or in my case I used the original steel mesh from the original pipes) as this allows the exhaust to move freely whereas the tips are fixed to the body. This is a must and has been designed as such. Remember that your original exhaust has not changed much at all...all that has happened is the pipes have been cut back. The chrome tips are nothing more than show and are pretty much the same as the chrome tips you had before. The crossover pipe is also part of the deal as the original exhaust was only designed to go down one side of the car. I understand your frustration about the plastic being cut so bad but that is all that seems to have been badly done. Ask them to replace the plastic and cut it properly and also to use the metal mesh from the original tips and fastened with jubilee clips.

A

Anonymous

£600 notes :eek:
For Fake Pipes :lol:

While I'll never understand the reason / need to make a car look like something it isn't, I realise that a lot of people do enjoy this type of thing.

You have to realise that Peugeot isn't really geared up / used to doing this kind of modification. The majority of vehicles will be passing through for the usual oil change, service, etc.

However, I do agree that if they do choose to undertake this type of work, good quality craftsmanship should be expected - particularly for the price you paid ( :lol: sorry).

Not sure what you can do really :eusa-think:
Would notifying Peugeot achieve anything, particularly as their own Instructions have been followed / adhered to.

Suggest it's one of those things to chalk down to experience and not let it lessen your enjoyment of the car.

Thanks for flagging it up though :clap:

A

Anonymous

Gorwell said:
£600 notes :eek:
For Fake Pipes :lol:

Welsh humour, :lol:

By the way Gorwell, did you pass Neath college about an hour ago ?

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
By the way Gorwell, did you pass Neath college about an hour ago ?

Yes, that was me in the lovely Dolphin Blue.

Didn't notice you in the white as you blended in to the road and other cars :eusa-whistle:
(ONLY JOKING :Moony: )

Was too busy watching that Speed Camera ( :law-policered: ) and by the time I'd noticed you it was too late to flash :!:

Nice car Buddy, wish I had one :lol:

PS Was it you I let on to the M4 (Junc 44) on Tuesday this week.
Better be careful or we'll be organising a Welsh Run before too long :eusa-whistle: :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Its the flash fom that camera you want to watch m8. :thumbdown:

I would of been on the M4 last week but not this tuesday (yesterday) .

"blending in with other cars" theres that Welsh humour again. :lol:

PS, check you DRL as i could of sworn your nearside was out ?

A

Anonymous

I think complain to the dealer you got it from and complain to peugeot and show picture evidence of it as well and peugeot will likely fix it for you for free.